Have any of you played this? My gf is a big Harry Potter fan so I secretly ordered the 2 player starter pack for her...

Have any of you played this? My gf is a big Harry Potter fan so I secretly ordered the 2 player starter pack for her. I've heard good things about this game for a while now but I'd like to hear what Veeky Forums has to say about it.
tl;dr What do you guys think about this game?

Other urls found in this thread:

nylon.com/articles/clinging-to-harry-potter-during-real-life-crisis
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

It was a good game while it lasted

Anything specific that you liked about it?

Is this game is still around? I remember playing it ages ago, probably when it first came out.

I think I liked it well enough, but I never got into it beyond a few games with starter decks, and it's been too long for me to give you any details. It felt a bit like Magic, I think (though I never played that much either).

Another user here. Played the starter set couple of times back then. IIRC it was really solid MTG lite.

You play lesson cards that count as mana. You use lessons to summon creatures and cast spells. Your deck is also your health so damage you take moves cards from your deck to graveyard. Game ends in deck-out.

>My gf is a big Harry Potter fan
Trash gf is trash.

t. Autism

It's a fun and vibrant world full of love, whimsy and adventure.

How if it's a fun and vibrant world full of love and adventure, is it the dullest franchise in the history of movie franchises? Seriously each episode following the boy wizard and his pals from Hogwarts Academy as they fight assorted villains has been indistinguishable from the others. Aside from the gloomy imagery, the series’ only consistency has been its lack of excitement and ineffective use of special effects, all to make magic unmagical, to make action seem inert.
Perhaps the die was cast when Rowling vetoed the idea of Spielberg directing the series; she made sure the series would never be mistaken for a work of art that meant anything to anybody?just ridiculously profitable cross-promotion for her books. The Harry Potter series might be anti-Christian (or not), but it’s certainly the anti-James Bond series in its refusal of wonder, beauty and excitement. No one wants to face that fact. Now, thankfully, they no longer have to.
>a-at least the books were good though
"No!" The writing is dreadful; the book was terrible. As I read, I noticed that every time a character went for a walk, the author wrote instead that the character "stretched his legs."
I began marking on the back of an envelope every time that phrase was repeated. I stopped only after I had marked the envelope several dozen times. I was incredulous. Rowling's mind is so governed by cliches and dead metaphors that she has no other style of writing. Later I read a lavish, loving review of Harry Potter by the same Stephen King. He wrote something to the effect of, "If these kids are reading Harry Potter at 11 or 12, then when they get older they will go on to read Stephen King." And he was quite right. He was not being ironic. When you read "Harry Potter" you are, in fact, trained to read Stephen King.

love this pasta

>play HP deck building game
>game is set over 7 year play phases, allowing you to build a deck for each year

neat! im gonna have to build accordingly over all 7 years to make sure my wizard is the most wizard evar!

>you actually have to reset your deck at the end of each year, creating a new deck each phase reset

than whats the fucking point of a deck builder if it resets during the game?

What are you talking about? It's just a card game, who is making you rebuild your decks?

Eons ago, wow... If it's the same one I remember your deck is also your life which worked out OK and made it a moderately distinct MTG-lite. In the end I never followed up on it after the 2p starter but it kind of came along at the wrong time for me finding a group to play with.

Making me feel old...

I've still got my starter set, the playmat (which I laminated) and the bonus booster cards. I remember liking the game but was disappointed by the lack of creature combat: creatures only attack your opponent's deck. Looking back, I actually kind of like that aspect of the game. I also regret giving the girl I sat with on the bus and also played the game my rare Mountain Troll card thinking that it would have earned me nookie points.
Halcyon days, gone forever.

Daily Reminder: If you've graduated high school and are still a fan of Harry Potter, you're an adult-sized child.

nylon.com/articles/clinging-to-harry-potter-during-real-life-crisis

>you're an adult-sized child.
This is Veeky Forums, we are all basically adult-sized children who pretend to be something else when we're not playing make-believe or messing around with our plastic army men.

I was thinking about Harry Potter today, why did Voldemort make such stupid horcruxes? He had some way better options than a stupid snake or cup.

>Voyager 1 probe
Then Harry would have to go to Pluto to kill Voldemort.

>a fucking dragon
Way more badass than a snake, you can just kill a snake with a gun or it will get old and die anyway. Especially if it's an endangered dragon, Hermione would spend so long bitching about killing it Voldemort could of caught Harry by then.

>a single atom in the mechanism of an atom bomb
Then Harry would have to start a nuclear holocaust if he wanted to kill Voldemort

>Bill Clinton
Could have made Bill Clinton a living horcrux then Harry would have to assassinate the president.

>Filch's cat
I guarantee Filch would go ham on Harry if they ever touched this nasty ass cat, same with Hagrid and Fang for that matter.

>a grain of sand on a beach
Harry would never fucking find one grain of sand, plus it would wash into the ocean by the time he was 17. Hell Vold could even put it at the bottom of Mariana's Trench.

>the whole world
Then Harry would be well and truly fucked without some kind of time turner bullshit if he had to literally destroy the world to stop Voldemort.

>Grindrwald
Then Dumbledore would go crazy having to authorize the assassination of his gay lover. Or Dumbldore's tomb to make Harry desecrate it. Or Ginny so he'd have to kill her. Or pretty much anyone at Hogwarts, who the fuck is gonna step up to get killed/be That Guy who kills some kid?

And if Slughorn was the only guy who even knew Tom Riddle was interested in horcruxes why didn't he kill Slughorn to make a horcrux then Dumbeldore could never take his memories to figure it out.

You have to actually be able to retrieve your horocrux to resurrect. Good luck sending a death eater to fucking Pluto next time you die.

advanced rules dude, didnt you read the little booklet?

>muggles
>muggle objects
>a squip's pet
>a really old dude in prison
Yeah great Horcruxes there.

No you don't actually. The purpose of a horcrux isn't that it's an expendable "extra life", it's that leaving some portion of your soul bound to the mortal realm prevents your soul from passing into the afterlife. It's like a lich's phylactery, it simply prevents your spirit from passing on. That way your spirit can possess a new host (Queerell) or manipulate someone into creating a new body for you (Wormtail).

That's why Vold turned into a wraith after dying and flew to Albania, he didn't have a horcrux there but that's where he went from Britain. So even assuming your spirit wraith's location is bound to the location of a horcrux it's not like his soul needs oxygen, he could fly back to Earth eventually.

because he was a nerd who was obsessed with magical history

Explain me how Harry would EVER get past that shit though. If Voldemort was smart it's what he would have done, instead he did dumb shit like a cup or a ring or whatever.

Also you can't defend choosing a snake over a dragon, pythons live to be ~30 according to Google, Harry would probably be in his 40s by then and could just wait it out.

>Also you can't defend choosing a snake over a dragon
Dragons are bigger and harder to hide than snek, and ol' Voldy probably cast majicks on Nagini to make it live longer.

What if your python had his own horcrux?

>>Voyager 1 probe
Elizer, pls go and stay go.
Your series was trash, you butchered Bayesian logic, your cult is fucking creepy and your oh so scientifically minded protagonist carried out a grand total of one experiment in the entire book.

>a witch and a wizard make each other their horcrux
D'awww.

>Dragons are bigger and harder to hide
Didn't stop wizards from hiding them from muggles forever, I mean what are they gonna do, refuse to hide this specific dragon (if they even know it's a horcrux)?

>cast majicks on Nagini to make it live longer
Then why not cast it on a dragon to make it live even longerer?

That's a good question, we know Nagini has no reservations about killing.

>I mean what are they gonna do, refuse to hide this specific dragon (if they even know it's a horcrux)?
Kill it?
Dragons are catalogued because of the colossal clusterfucks they can potentially cause. Making one a horcrux would be stupidly risky.
Taking an unregistered one would be even more risky since you'd have to hide it personally, which would be far more trouble than it's worth.

Voldemort really, really loves this specific snake for some reason, k?
Plus a snek is slytherin's symbol.

What if Voldermot made it so his six best Death Eaters were his living horcruxes and he commanded them to each also take six living people as horcruxes and some were innocent people.

Then Harry would of had to kill innocent people so Voldemort's horcruxes wouldn't have horcruxes anymore.

people arent great horcruxes because they die of natural causes
you want to live forever, not 70 years

Do you age if you have horcruxes? I mean that would be a slow death and horcruxes don't let you die. So eventually do you just end up a barely-living bag of bones if you just age forever without death?

Also does a person stop being a horcrux if they die or does their skeleton stay a horcrux?

This right here is why I love the Harry Potter setting. Because its something we can use to make cool things happen, like this.

Also remember that Voldemort is at his best, a crazy nerd with a soul that resembles a broken graham cracker, and probably didn't think this horcux's through after the first or second.

I always liked to imagine that magic on the scale and horror of the horcruxes would never have quite worked as well if you weren't using something that resonated with the fragment of your soul you were implanting within it.

Even if that's not canon it makes Voldi not a fucking moron but still paints him as arrogant for pulling funny shit like hiding some in Hogworts or on his person.

OP here, I don't care for Harry Potter really. I just like the pre-movie art (same with LotR). My girlfriend was a big HP fan as a kid and likes it as a nostalgic thing. Plus, of what little I know of the setting, it seems like a good one for a TCG

I haven't actually gotten the starter in the mail yet. I get it around next Tuesday.

>Great Gatsby
>God Tier

Kill yourself. That book is overhyped utter trash. Even Don Quixote is pretty fucking mediocre.

It's bait, redditfriend. Very old, stale bait.

I loved parts of Dox Quixote but it was just so long. It went on and on about nothing at times.

My wife has enjoyed book in all the tiers of that picture. Come at me bro

Is your existence depended on getting replies on image board or is concept of others enjoying something you don't this alien to you?

cervantes purposely kept on adding episodes because he needed money

yes if you died you would stop being a horcrux. the soul fragment is completely dependent on the host. if the host is the entire person that is. but if you dissected them while they were alive and turned their tibia into a horcrux or something like that...

Mmmh, stale pasta...

Get the fuck out of my board you cancerous fag

Very bad as an actual game. Creatures are massively overpowered, and the power of certain cards are way too high and dominate the others

Any specific examples so I could avoid them?

No idea about the expansions, but generally the ultra-rare creatures, Fluffy, or any creature that can stick around are much more efficient at actually winning the game than almost anything else.

Some of the rarer "Character" cards too, IIRC.

I opened the thread hoping to see this. God bless you, user.

Alright, so none of that is in the starter pack right? We're not going to play competitively or anything, just looking for a simple TCG to play while we're out of town

How long did you need to microwave that ancient pasta

>Didn't stop wizards from hiding them from muggles forever
They're a fucking protected species in Harry Potter and so far as I'm aware they're only found in captivity like that dragon preserve one of the older Weasley boys works at.
And clearly they didn't stop them from being known to muggles. Otherwise we wouldn't have stories like St. George slaying dragons.
Or talking about them now, now that I think of it. It's hardly obscure mythology or anything, right?

This is the correct answer, Voldemort was obsessed with the mystique that came with using important magical objects, especially those tied to Hogwarts (Nagini was only made as a last resort). And even the fact that he made multiple horcruxes was a big jump, since most people assumed you couldn't split your soul more than once in the first place.

Honestly 6 horcruxes hidden away/locked behind death traps was a solid plan; you could do more (the grain of sand/satellite plan) but at that point it would've seemed like overkill. Voldy's real problem was underestimating the people around him:
>Dumbledore's probably the only person on earth capable of figuring out what he'd done, but Voldy doesn't take action there until it's too late.
>Doesn't consider that Regulus Black might get cold feet and steal the Locket horcrux
>Doesn't notice that the Malfoys are ready to sell him out the moment they can establish Draco's safety.
>Doesn't realize that Snape's been playing double-agent the whole time.
>Assumes he's the only one who understands the Room of Requirement's warehouse function
>Knows that Harry is a problem (because destiny and all that), but always has to make it a duel or a big moment, giving Harry a chance to turn the tables.

The worst part about the last one is that Harry is honestly kind of a shit wizard, but since he's actually pretty good at performing under pressure, he's able to take advantage of the opportunities Voldemort gives him.