Have you ever RP'd as someone from USA or had the setting set in USA? How did that go?

Have you ever RP'd as someone from USA or had the setting set in USA? How did that go?

I am from the USA but with the exception of a one shot that went nowhere, no

I once played an Old West sheriff.

Do you guys really see us as that exotic? Because my view of foreigners is just regular people like me, but with cooler accents.

I feel like it's some form of shitposting that's trying to incite fights. There was a thread with a similar topic and the same OP picture just the other day.

Magical Girls set in New York circa 1999 as we strive to stop the new years apocalypse.

On the most part we have a few maps one of our group had saved from a holiday to the US in the 90s and we had done a modicum of research, mostly watching a few 90s sitcom episodes, but mostly we play as if it was based in Tokyo, Paris, Sydney or anywhere else.

i once played a character that was possessed by a rogue spirit, who, after being stuck in the mortal plane for so long, began to merge into the host, creating a new entity that went full on western cowboy

pic related is what he ended up becoming since the spirit caused him to waste away from the inside, and he spent a shit ton of time doing alchemy to keep himself together

You are correct in that estimate, but at least this thread seems to be civil so far. It only took one post for things to go to shit last one.

It depends on the game really. I mean when I played Shadow run it was set in California so it made sense to play an American to me, for a given value of American. If i'm playing a game set in America I usually do, if not I play something appropriate to the setting. That's what i figure most people do.

I think it'd be fun to play a foreigner in America. Something stereotypically stoic like a German as a foil to the American stereotype.

They'd have to deal with half the country having german roots.
I'm only exaggerating a little bit too

Not really, German-Americans are the largest self reported ethnicity in the whole United States by a huge margin. Something like 60% of Americans who identify with European heritage specify German ancestry. I think the next is like African-American followed bun Irish and Italian in that order.

But that's not really my point, having German heritage doesn't make you even slightly German. Most "German"-Americans are distinctly American same as the Irish and Italian and every other hyphenated ethnicity in the US. That's why I think Germans are a great contrast to the US since they are nearly complete opposites in characteristics

I know. I'm an american. I also know that ACTUAL germans/italians/whatevers LOATHE americans trying to pretend they're one of them, and as a german, well tough luck.

My favorite character is from boston, she fled to seattle and then hamburg to escape her (yakuza) family.
I also had a campaign set in boston, sadly it never went futher than 3 sessions. Played an elvish immigrant from the tyr, fled to boston because a) there are a large number of tyr elves in boston, b) it was easiest to get into that country and c) her granddad lived there (he's dead though)
Now she is a taxi driver and smuggler for different underground organisations... and last session we had was her hetting roped into mafia business, which would lead her into running the shadows.
I love shadowrun.
Where else can you be a career criminal?

The irish americans truly are the worst. Much like the Irish.
As for me, my mom's side of the castle comes from lombardy I think and my dad's... somewhere in poland. My grandpa knew but he died before I got a chance to ask.

I did once. Amusingly, in a game not set in the USA.

It was Hollow Earth Expedition. Played a Red Blooded American Doctor and Big Game Hunter.

Other games that were set in the USA I played imigrants, basically. A norwegian mage troll in shadowrun and a first generation Irish immigrant and one of the ' 49-ers in Deadlands: Reloaded.

Mutants and Masterminds. Lack of creativity saw me rehashing an Iron man-esque suit for my non-superpowered Military colonel and it looked like an eagle. Hence, Freedom Eagle was born.

The American west and space rednecks are my jam.

One group that I am currently leading are playing as EPA Agents out to find, contain and find uses for naturally occuring paranormal stuff for use in the Vietnam war (In this world, EPA has been founded in 1962).

Its pretty fun. Lots of off-hand jokes about clapping, illegal prisons, Big-ass burgers as dinner and guns everywhere.

I'm in a game of a similar theme, beat cops caught up in the supernatural. We catch this guy, or whatever he is, and he's really smug because he knows we're not about to charge him for the murders we know he did ("after murdering the victim, the suspect then grew wings and flew out the window").

The look on his face when we told him he wasn't arrest for murder, but for possession with intent to sell, while stuffing a bag of crack into his pocket.

Heh, that's good. I'll have to sneakily pitch this idea to my players.

A friend of mine ran a game f mutants and masterminds. I played a hyper-American called "The constitutionalist" that dual-wielded Custom made, rapid fire assault muskets.

You know that Japanese wank known as GATE.

It was that except:
>Instead of America
>Party was part of the United States Army part of Civil Affairs
>The Gate basically opened up at an army base and the place got lit up by Wizards who were based on Kingdom of France's army.
>Proceed to do operations that makes contact with other worlders, learn about magic, go into a cave full of bears to accidentally kill a bear spirit.

There's a great thread on suptg about How Things Were in the 90s, might be some good research

I play in a generic, late 80's style, sword and sorcery campaign. So true to form, all my characters have Californian accents. Except the wizard. He's British-ish.

Once played a post-apoc soldier that had to put down an alien robot plot in the area around Needles, California.

>when you call everything bait

I can't tell what's actually bait anymore.

"Let me tell you a story, as I ain't much good at fighting and mostly just survive to tell tales. Let me tell you the story of a hero. Tell you the story of a man who saved my life. Someone from America when America forgot itself; when the land was wiped near to clean in green flame and the restless dead. However even with all that was lost, Murica endures. Murica lives in the hearts of those who are willing to remember and to be.

When the dead ran roughshod over our encampment, and we lay dying in the field as a new wave shambled from the broken woods, the few standing say he marched out of the bar with hooch in each hand.

Knocking them together and quaffing them down before unleashing a yell that stirred something in all of use nearby who was beaten or gnawed upon. Who was bleeding and dying. Who was at the edge of giving up hope as the dead marched closer.

Texas Lincoln yelled, and it rallied us. It pulled from the cockles of our hearts some last reserve of determination and confidence. Gave us the strength to ignore those wounds and press on; rise while bleeding and fight just a bit longer.

We lived that day, Texas Lincoln leading the charge against the dead. Fist raised high and punching low as blade, bludgeon, and brass flew.

God Bless Murica. God Bless Texas Lincoln. The greatest Murican Ba'Das.

I am not Texas Lincoln, but I will tell his tale and share his likeness so any who travel may know this hero of the wastes,"

I get the same thing occasionally, in Britain. We had a bunch of exchange kids over for a bit the other day and a couple of my friends managed to convince a couple of the little six-year-olds that they were the grandkids of the Queen. It was kind of adorable and silly, but I seriously don't know why they thought our pretty standard British accents were cool when they had much better ones. The Jamaican ones sounded nicer speaking English than we do.

>Paxis Americana
>female Aracocra paladin of Lady Liberty.
>She favored a massive flagpole that she used to piledrive people from freefall.
>She brought truth, democracy, and morality wherever she went.

Yeah, I almost created the Black Independent Nations.

Yes. Good, so far.

We all got shot in Detroit.

'MURICA!