a halfpenny is 1/2 of a penny
3 farthings are 3/4 of a penny

a half-groat is 2 pennies
a threepenny bit made of silver is 3 pennies
a groat is 4 pennies
a sixpence or tanner is 6 pennies

So a groat, a sixpence and a half groat equal to a shilling

a florin or two shilling piece is two shillings
a half-crown is 2 shillings and 6 pennies (or half a shilling)
a crown is 5 shillings
ten shillings is half a sovereign
a half-guinea is 10 shillings and 6 pennies

a guinea is a sovereign and a shilling

There what's so hard to understand?

>1 Green Groat=12.37 bronze shillings
>1 Bronze Shilling is equal to 1/5th of a sixpenny, or 6/9th of a Wet Bobhog
>A sixpenny is 3/4th of a Dry Bobhog, or 3.2 of a gold shilling
>A Dry Bobhog is 3.83 Young Tanners, or 1/8th of a Royal Groat
>1 Young Tanner is a 2/7th of a Eightpence, or 1 7th Rude
>A halfpenny is worth 2 eightpences

>Not running Cyberpunk or Sci fi
>Not having neoshekels as the universal currency

What if piece is actually a unit of mass? And a single gold coin might weight dozens of pieces while a copper coin might actually be a gold piece, if number stamped on it says so.

>not having an economy that runs on Beanie Babies

This is your fault, Europe.

You didn't stop Brits fast enough.

>decimalisation is good
It has never been good, metric is rubbish.

Well, most coins were.

It beats the autism we had till fucking 1970, I'm glad I never had to put up with the same shit my parents did
t. actual Brit

Generic Fantasy setting wealth is porcelain coins.

Science-Fiction setting uses 'discs' of oxygen, unrealistically pressed gas to form a solid that can sustain a person's spacesuit for an hour.

Modern fantasy setting is just dollars, but they look like silly monopoly money that glow in the dark because the city it takes place is always night time and dark.

>r8 my currencies

>Not running a blowjob-based economy
faggot

>Modern fantasy setting is just dollars, but they look like silly monopoly money that glow in the dark because the city it takes place is always night time and dark.
I don't understand the the logic but I like it.

I would play the hell out of a game set in the Post-Cyberpocalypse

>the cute cashier at the grocery store gives you your total

No wonder nips rather go with
1 yen = 1 copper
100 yen = 1 silver
10000 yen = 1 gold

system. More clarity and much better.

I actually prefer a silver based currency, with gold value fluctuating according to market demands.

Rich people would be the ones using golden coins. Usually a soldier's wage would be measured in silver. Most of everything would use silver.

Then, copper coins are set at 96 copper coins per 1 silver coin. 96 is a good number that is close enough to 100 but is divisible by many numbers, which allows for ease of use during daily activities.

>t. americuck

The money is each a vibrant color and is printed to glow in the dark so that they're easier to find if you drop them.

The city is always night outside, it's hard to find things you drop on the ground.

Makes sense.
Consider it stolen

Being serious. What is a halfpenny?

Half a penny

Is that real? Are you fucking with me?

In my day a penny could buy you a Beano, a Dandy, a bag of sweets, a poke of chips, and bottle of lemonade with change left over.

And with the change, you could buy an egg cream.

>20 shillings in a sovereign
>12 pennies in a shilling
>240 pennies in a sovereign
But I do use this system.

The rest of the extraneous coinage is just fluff.

Have you heard of a farthing?

>tfw you use to be able to buy a pound of candy for a nickel, but these days you're lucky if you're not spending five dollars.

How much would (whatever profession you are) make daily back then?

About three shillings a day if you were a labourer. A professional like a clerk would get 200 pounds a year. Bread would cost 1.50 pennies or so.

So you could buy 24 loaves of bread with your day's wages.
Bread costs about $2 here and my last labour job came to around $13 an hour in my pocket/bank. I'd typically only work 8 hours a day, resulting in $104 a day. Or 52 loaves of bread. Even if it were $3 I could buy 34.6 loaves of bread.
So, though the numbers be larger, the inaugural worth is greater too.
Of course, I live in Canada and am native. I know there's plenty of people doing harder jobs than I making rather less. My last job was also on the low end of the pay scale, however.

>$13 an hour
Wages were far lower back then

But the value of the money was completely different. The price of things fluctuates like crazy depending on supply, demand, paperwork, and greed.

You're absolute pleb. Using coins instead of gemstones with the value dependant on type, weight and karats, with proper mathematical formulas for counting value of each little stone, modified by the part of the world one's in and religious/spiritual/magical significance of particular stone for local community as well as demand for particular rituals (sell your aquamarines during the drough) and current supply in the market.

You disgust me, OP.

But how many taels of silver is that?