I posted this same thread yesterday but only got like 5 replies and two of them being actual answers

I posted this same thread yesterday but only got like 5 replies and two of them being actual answers.

In a magical world where one of the most powerful magic objects in the world is a sword that is longer and lighter than it looks, (the rest is just invisible and weighs nothing) what would be a good magic ability for magic rings that are "cut from the same cloth" as the sword to give to my 4 players? (One to each player) I want to make the party (who are a WIDE and DIVERSE cast of people) a singular special unit that all share a special skill that can be used as a, for lack of a better term, "plot hook" to bring them all together on certain quests. Good examples of this would be the Phantom Thieves from Persona 5, the immortals from Lost Odyssey, almost any shonen fighting anime, and the Oceans movie franchise.

I'm open to any ideas. I have a few myself but mine are all very similar and I'm afraid i'm getting tunnel vision.

Rings that make the wearer taller and lighter than they appear.

I'm now imagining a race of people who are "taller than they look." Like their legs unfold to make them taller when frightened as a defense mechanism. It's adorable. Imagine easily frightened inflata-dwarves.

Rings that make the wearer shorter and heavier than they appear

Rings that do the same thing as the sword, but for your dick

Rings that make your finger slightly longer

Rings that allow you to detatch the finger its on, but only once

Rings that allow you to go to a setting with less lame magical artifacts

Oh hey, it's the same guy from yesterday. Welcome back my man.

What? I'm just here to offer you a WIDE and DIVERSE range of artifacts on par with the almighty sword of a bit longer than you'd think.

Ill give u my wide n diverse artifact m8

Listen, all I'm saying is that your ideas are bad and that sword is probably one of the least interesting, least useful magic items I've ever heard of. If the best boons the gods of your setting can hand out are things so incredibly niche underwhelming , then I think there should probably be a big atheist/misotheist movement.

There is almost no benefit to having a slightly longer invisible part of a sword, and what little there is is so easily foiled that it's comedic. You'd be better off just making it a no magic setting and just making the items purely cultural/ceremonial rather than handing your players parlor tricks and expecting them to be called miracles

>I posted this same thread yesterday but only got like 5 replies and two of them being actual answers.
Probably because you question is shit, the whole premise is shit and you'd be better off scrapping the whole thing.

>your ideas are shit and you should feel bad

Thanks Veeky Forums. I'm glad you like low-magic settings.

We do. We just like good ones.

I'm sure I and other people would be willing to help you spitball and brainstorm some other ideas for low magic artifacts that aren't also wildly unimpressive and useless, if you'd like

ring is actually a shield that is broader than it looks, the rest is invisible and weighs nothing.

Saw the thread yesterday but didn't have time for it because there were more interesting threads. But today the board is all shitposts.

I actually like that.

>the immortals from Lost Odyssey
Literally just copy this. Nobody played that game but me and you.

But I already did a few years ago. I copied the entire opening.

Why do you need these rings to bind the players together? Shouldn't they agree to work with each other despite their differences?

Maybe have it be a cursed ring set. Everyone pools their hit points into one big blob of HP but anytime anyone takes damage everyone feels the feedback and damage is subtracted from overall HP. If this giant pool is depleted everyone dies. Ergo it makes area attacks really shitty. Maybe their questing to remove the rings.

I'm sorry you made Dindyfags upset OP.

Consider:

A ring that makes the user's gesticulations oddly appealing and hypnotic.

A ring that prevents the hand it is on from being physically injured or harmed save by intent. Depending on the strength of the ability you either could, or couldn't, use this to catch an arrow without tearing your fucking hand open. Would probably eliminate the need for brass knuckles as you wouldn't break your fingers punching people, even though someone else could still break your fingers by punching your fist.

A ring that allows you to use your hand as a compass to certain things, possibly the other rings, by spinning your hand around with a finger extended and picking somewhere to stop "at random".

>Shouldn't they agree to work with each other despite their differences?
It's not a matter of working together or not, it's more of a matter of being ABLE to work together on specific things. For instance, only one of my players is any good at killing things. One of them is a prostitute medium good at erotic arts, one is a diplomat, one is a soldier, and one is a melon farmer turned mercenary. Like I said, it's a wildly diverse cast of people. I want to have a set of items that binds them all together regardless of what their backgrounds are.

The cursed ring bit is good, and I'm not against it having a huge downside (my own idea is similar) but combat won't be a huge focus, so it might go unused for a good bit.

1. Ring of destruction, allows the owner to crush steel and punch through concrete with that arm.

2. Ring of illusion, allows the owner to hide or change the appearance of any object he can hold in that one hand

3. Ring of restoration, allows the owner to stop bleeding, prevent infection and heals wounds slightly faster

4. Ring of alteration, can change any substance equal to the rings mass into another substance.

>prostitute medium good at erotic arts
>diplomat
>soldier
>melon farmer turned mercenary
>four rings that help them be to work together on specific things
>exceptionally subtle and low powered magical effect
>combat won't be a huge focus
I'd honestly like to help you OP, but I'm not sure where y'all are going with this.

Remember this though, those four rings are going to be rare and powerful.
They will not have been just created on a whim by bored wizard.
They will have been crafted for a purpose, possibly a destiny.
There is a goal and a purpose to them and their powers would be directly linked to that goal or purpose, even if the rings themselves are mostly ceremonial.

This sounds kind of like a clusterfuck, man. I'd start again from scratch

You sound like a quitter.