Exalted General - /exg/

What is Exalted?
An epic high-flying role-playing game about reborn god-heroes in a world that turned on them.
Start here: theonyxpath.com/category/worlds/exalted/

>That sounds cool, how can I get into it?
Read the 3e core book (link below). For mechanics of the old edition, play this tutorial: mengtzu.github.io/exalted/sakuya.html
. It’ll get you familiar with most of the mechanics.

>Gosh that was fun. How do I find a group?
Roll20 and the Game Finder General here on Veeky Forums.

Resources for Third Edition
>3E Core and Splats
mediafire.com/folder/b54o6teut3fx6/Exalted_3e

>Arms of the Chosen Previews
dropbox.com/s/15xddoahzedtkwu/Arms of the Chosen Preview.docx?dl=0
drive.google.com/file/d/0B7FqViticwNuam9lbVJBWFhJM2s/view

>Dragonblooded Charm Previews:
theonyxpath.com/dragon-blooded-charms-preview-exalted/
theonyxpath.com/the-elemental-aura-dragon-blooded-pt-2-exalted/

>Other Ex3 Resources
pastebin.com/fG1mLMdu

>Resources for Older Editions
pastebin.com/GihMPwV8

New NPCs and a Behemoth rework
pastebin.com/d8erArwm
pastebin.com/fPSSNQZL
pastebin.com/2pPpjjv5
pastebin.com/fLRD51Hf
pastebin.com/VwCdMgCG
pastebin.com/RmUiuBKR
pastebin.com/MbTG7ZH6
pastebin.com/ccPnXHQz

The Dragon-Blooded book has moved (back) to second draft. What does it mean in practice? Does it even mean anything we should care about?

Other urls found in this thread:

nishkriya.com/Threads/Details/10319
fishcapades.deviantart.com/gallery/886721/Exalted
youtube.com/watch?v=8_lng0R1sHA
youtube.com/watch?v=ciLw1yw4dfs
youtube.com/watch?v=YkbyUNfvtkU
youtube.com/watch?v=R_t0ZET-hHQ
youtube.com/watch?v=SAPAgRR-ljI
youtube.com/watch?v=Tl4I0UVOtEk
youtube.com/watch?v=Vun29HO1nbk
youtube.com/watch?v=Kss0Wbc6hCA
youtube.com/watch?v=6WVAdT27MdE
youtube.com/watch?v=52ltrU5Xd84
youtube.com/watch?v=iuimwzEKq3g&index=10&list=PLEF555A0E1EB18FB6
youtube.com/watch?v=veZakE7iU0Q
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Can some one give me a speedy rundown of this game? have very limited experince in playing TTRpgs

No. And I don't mean I don't want to do it, it's just that getting the hang of a new game usually takes some time, especially if you're new to TTRPGs. The closest thing to a speedy rundown would probably be playing through the tutorial linked in OP, though that's for the previous edition. 1d4chan also has an article about Exalted that's suprisingly close to decent.

Anything. Nothing. The Monday meeting statuses are so inconsistent and vague they are essentially meaningless.

If you broke my fingers, I'd guess that they found an issue or two which means some parts need another draft.

The long and short of it is that you play reborn demigods living in a world that has some very compelling reasons to fear and revile you.

>2 or 3 days pass between generals

You guys gotta be a bit more on the ball. I'd make them myself but then I'd omit a lot of the opening spiel stuff because no one ever reads that anyway.

And despite not caring much about DB's myself in terms of wanting to play them, yes them getting moved back is bad. The line is already hideously delayed, and DB's are usually the prime antagonists for at least the early to mid portions of any campaign.

There's no reason to start generals just because. Someone will start one when he feels like discussing Exalted, just the way it should work.

>just because

You do it because the old one is dead and it creates a centralized discussion place as well as keeping interests up for things and a steady flow of discussion? Like, thats the whole point of generals, man. They're supposed to be continuous.

So did they give any reason for why the DB book is being pushed back, or is it just another "lol no reasons why" thing?

>So did they give any reason for why the DB book is being pushed back
It hasn't been pushed back. It moved forwards. It was pushed back when the devs changed, due to the dev change, but since then it's been moving forwards.

(3e as it is now) Essentially you are a mortal who has been bestowed power by the Unconquered Sun. You are young for one of your kind but still extremely powerful. The power you have is your's to do with as you may, but the Wyld Hunt of the Realm sees you as Anathema due to shenanigans done in the past by your forebears and fate ninja monks.

Not much is a threat to you unless you supremely fuck up, so what matters is less what opposes you and more what you choose to do with your abilities. Will you become a hero to the common folk, conquer the known realm in the name of the forgotten Solar Kings, or simply romp about and make a place for yourself in this shitty, shitty world.

Mechanically the game makes use of a heavily altered Storyteller Engine. What that means is that in character creation you outline what attributes and skills your character will have along with Merits, Intimacies, and Charms.

In the short, whenever you want to do something that is difficult, you find the appropriate Attribute and Skill, and the add the number of those two together to form a dice pool. So if you have Strength 3 and Athletics 2 and want to lift something, you'd add them together to form a pool of 5d10.

Merits and Intimacies form the basis of your character. Merits are anything from Artifacts of legend to being able to breath underwater for a long ass time. Intimacies define your characters personality, who they care about and what principles they may hold.

Charms are your magical abilities, and allow you to do crazy shit in any one of hundreds of ways. One might call them spells, but they aren't always able to fit that mold (Also spells are another thing in Sorcery, but I digress.).

At least make a pastebin of the pastebins or something

So has anyone run or played in any games where an Artefact (or several) was the focus of the story? By any chance was the party Crafter the person who created or at least helped to create them?

I've recently got a hankering to do some real Lord of the Rings shit in a game, but I just not quite sure how to go about it. Especially with Arms not being out yet.

Thats something I've never done simply because if it's useful to them, players fight over it. If it's a dead weight or detriment, players will do their best to get rid of it, especially in ways which, logically, no one will ever be able to find the item (ie: shunting it into Elsewhere and thats it, quest done, no one can get it ever).

I was thinking of something more along the lines of "Power at a price" or something that instills an intimacy towards keeping it.

Or maybe just playing a Sauron type character and using the Artefacts in question to dominate the minds of key NPCs.

Could stick something like this on the artifact the Perfect of Paragon has. Like "Ok, he made some kind of crazy kingdom, and it's worked...But it turns out the thing isn't him, it's something that ate his mind through the scepter and is controlling him".

Bonus: It's some old forgotten God of Order from the 1st age whose blessing was needed to create it in the first place, a blessing that he didn't tell anyone making it would allow him a measure of control.

Double bonus: He's using it to relive his glory days of being big, important, worshipped, and the like, through the scepter.

Triple bonus: It's having an unintended side effect of rotting his brain because exerting his power like this when he's much weaker than he used to be is making him deteriorate. And it'll also begin making those he controls through this deteriorate mentally as well.

Thats a fucking lie. I wrote (aka stole) the majority of that article and it's awful.

Alright /exg/, my fire aspect (using Clutch of Dragons) is expanding into Craft, and I need ideas for Major and Basic projects. I have Craft (Metalworking), but right now everybody in the party already has all the mundane weapons and armor they need. Plus, we're going to be leaving the town we're in (which likely will be abandoned entirely soon), so things like statues aren't really an option either. I'm working on a small sandship right now as a Major project, but I'm running out of ideas. Suggestions?

If it matters, we're in the South and the party consists of a brawl-based Air aspect, a socialize and archery-focused Wood aspect, a martial arts and necromancy-focused Water aspect, and my character, a melee and war-focused Fire aspect. My character also has a size 3 battlegroup under his command, plus a godblooded retainer-lieutenant.

Can't help you there, but have some DB pics for your group.

You have any good Abyssal or Alchemical pics?

Jewellery makes for nice gifts. Really, one of the problems with Craft is that it forces you to use it for everything if you want t make the most out of it.

And it was previously pushed back only in pieces, since not all parts of the manuscript were in the same boat. Now, everything has apparently been addressed, and the process can move forward.

Well thats good. Much as I dislike DB's, I do need what's essentially the first "Monster Manuel" for 3E. Been too long coming.

Why do people dislike DBs? I mean, the Realm and the Great Houses are generally lousy people, but there's nothing wrong with them intrinsically.

In my case, it's due to the people that play them. I've been through a very long string of problem players, all DB players. In other games I've been in, every time someone was a raging manchild, or a huge asshole? Guess what: DB player. Atop that, usually the players crying the loudest for other Exalt's to be nerfed, guess what? DB players. Atop that, I really don't like the VtM-esque "clan"setup the Dynasty has with the House system, which also ends up reflected on a lot of stuff I hated about WoD products in general.

tl;dr Long string of extremely unpleasant people leaves me with a bad taste for everything DB related.

Same boat, but my distaste is for Lunar players. Lunar Exalted are fine and cool but every person I've ever seen play one was a cunt.

I'm fine with Lunars...Up until I tried playing in chats. Then I found out really quickly Lunars pretty much attract the furry community, especially those trying to hump everything in fucking sight.

Suffice to say, I don't play on chats anymore.

>"clan" setup the Dynasty has with the House system

Mind going into this? Never played any WoD games so the comparison is lost on me.

Basically, in VtM there are Clans. They're a lot like the Dynastic Houses. And generally, just like the Houses, they're a bunch of infighting, uncooperative bastards. Thats the long and short of it. It's one of those "White Wolf did this in damn near every game" sort of things, and it's just a really tired and annoying trope to me because I did a lot of OWoD stuff and this caused a lot of inter-party fighting, and I hate that kind of stuff.

Can you use Fervent Blow to clash a Withering attack with a Decisive attack? It has the decisive only keyword, but I can't tell if that means "You can only make decisive attacks with this charm", "You can only clash decisive attacks with this charm" or "You can only clash decisive attacks with decisive attacks with this charm."

Vance just recently, like earlier today, answered this actually.

Q:
>Also a related Fervent Blow question, does the Decisive-Only tag mean it can only be used against a decisive attack, that the clash attack it creates has to be Decisive, or both? Basically is it considered a defensive charm, an attack charm, or both, since clashing is both a defense and an attack.

A:
>Your attack has to be decisive. It doesn't care what kind of attack you're clashing.

Awesome. Should I assume other similar charms function the same way unless specified (Flashing Edge of Dawn, Solar Counterattack)? On the subject of Solar Counterattack, it states that the counterattack occurs "after the opponent’s attack result, but before damage has been rolled". In that case, narratively, would the counterattack resolve before the attack that provoked it? If I kill someone with Solar Counterattack, does it prevent me from taking damage from the provoking attack?

While I like DBs I'm not a huge fan of the clan setup as well because it painted huge swathes of characters with a very generifying brush and continue to be a hell of a crutch for players. The "I'm a Malkavian, guess I'm cuh-raaaaazy!" guy is just as annoying as the "I'm a Cynis, guess I'm perverted!" guy.

Yep. That is exactly one of my problems with it.

I would assume the same for similar Decisive-only attack Charms, that the attack you make must be Decisive.

As for the Counterattack, Vance did clarify that as well but it was some time ago and across quite a few posts.

nishkriya.com/Threads/Details/10319

No doubt has the specifics but a general overview is that Counterattacks are meant to emulate the double KO simultaneous strike type of attacks. Both attacks resolve simultaneously so no, you can't counterattack someone, kill them, and then not take the damage of the attack. In such a case, your enemy would die but the effects of his attack would also go through.

From what I recall is that the effects of the attacks are locked in once the attack is made. If I am coming at you with 15 Initiative worth of damage that 15 Initiative is effectively locked in without your Counterattack being able to change it. This extends to Crane's Withering Counterattacks. In such a case the Withering Damage is actually applied AFTER the attacker resets to base Initiative which is pretty great.

The exception to this is Flashing Edge of Dawn, explicitly called out by Vance. That Charm's Counterattack does impact the damage rolled against you.

Well, one of the goals of 3e DBs is to make the Great Houses more interesting and less retarded, so hopefully this is achieved.

They're just your basic noble houses. They're kind of a standard part of an empire like the Realm, you know?

>While I like DBs I'm not a huge fan of the clan setup as well because it painted huge swathes of characters with a very generifying brush and continue to be a hell of a crutch for players. The "I'm a Malkavian, guess I'm cuh-raaaaazy!" guy is just as annoying as the "I'm a Cynis, guess I'm perverted!" guy.
Fandom impressions asides, the actual books are pretty clear about House stereotypes being just that, stereotypes. Like, House Cynis produces officers, monks and scholars, just like any other House. Cynis Denovah Avaku is a canon character. The leaders of the House, the three living daughters of Cynis, are ruthless businesswomen rather than perverts. Similarly, House Sesus canonically and explicitly produces Dragon-Blooded who aren't brutal warriors, Ragara isn't just about Elemental Jews and their banking business, and so on.

>The leaders of the House, the three living daughters of Cynis, are ruthless businesswomen rather than perverts.

Technically speaking I think one of the lot, Cynis Falen, is the one whose line is the most responsible for the orgiastic sex fiend stereotype of the House. And she eagerly participates. The others, though, yeah.

Fair enough. House stereotypes aren't unfounded, but they aren't completely true either, and don't apply to all individual members of any given House.

I did make this a while back.

Problem is players tend to take the stereotype and go full retard with it. I haven't found a single person playing a Ragara, for example, that doesn't play them as a fuckin' caricature of a hunched over scheming jew from Borat or something.

My issue with Dynast PCs is that they're always fuckin' mortals who exalted as a Solar or a Lunar or something instead.

There's been one in every game I've run.

Thats not tr-

>own game has a character that is exactly that

Son of a bitch!

An even scarier link I've noticed is the link between people who play Dynasts-turned-Celestial Exalts and people who are the middle children. It's like some kind of petty revenge fantasy.

I'm the middle child. My first character was a dynast turned Solar. I'm part of the problem.

>My issue with Dynast PCs is that they're always fuckin' mortals who exalted as a Solar or a Lunar or something instead.
Maybe play a Dragon-Blooded game, then. I mean, what do you expect Dynast PCs to be in Celestial games? Not being allowed to make Dynast PCs would be shitty, because a noble of the most powerful empire of the world turned into one of the ancient enemies of that empire is actually a decent foundation for a character.

Yeah, my group had a guy like that. Bit of a red flag.

Then he just stopped showing up for some reason.

At least I had the good sense to play a Patrician. Mom was a Sidereal though.

fishcapades.deviantart.com/gallery/886721/Exalted

The tumblrface ruins a lot of these, sadly.

>I've never done a exalted and gaim crossover with a wood aspect
GOD WHY AM I SO DUMB

>implying the Gaim Riders aren't all Exigents of Creation's various fruit gods

Nothing but evocations for Lock Seeds.

I mean, I'm an only child and I've played plenty of Dynasts-turned-Celestial Exalts. The appeal's not so much in some weird middle child revenge fantasy so much as it is in the potential drama of running into someone you knew or cared about from before who now thinks you're a demon living in his old friend's skin.

More generally, some people just like the context a background like that provides. The Realm is one of the most fleshed out parts of the setting, and it is relevant to most games one way or another. Making someone from there has obvious appeal.

>The Realm is one of the most fleshed out parts of the setting, and it is relevant to most games one way or another

Beyond setting dressing, the Realm is usually the least relevant thing in most games I've been in. Most people just stay the fuck away and have adventures in the rest of the world rather than fucking around there.

Your games are prettu unusual then, or at least different from mine. I've never been in a game that takes place in the Realm, but I've neve been in a game with no Realm presence either. It's the greates, most powerful empire in the world, and stickig to the parts of the world where it isn't present and relevant cuts out most of the setting that's actually been detailed in any way.

Is 3e any good?
I only played exalted 2e, and while I like the idea of it, I despised the implementation.
Is the new edition any better?

It is better. I'd call it legitimately pretty good. Not everyone agrees with this, but it's safe to say that it's significantly better than 2E.

This is pretty much what I've experienced. People will stay the fuck away from the realm until they start showing up in their backyard.

Mechanically it's still close enough to 2e that you might still dislike it but the core combat mechanic has been totally replaced without something a lot better. (And I say that as someone who has been playing since the 1e pre- and post-Power Combat eras.)

There's room for improvement still but the game is much more playable and fun after the weapons come out now.

The issue with that thinking is that technically, even places in the Threshold are part of the Realm. Iconic locations like Chiaroscuro and the Lap are still satraps of the Realm, even if they're reluctant vassals at best and willing to let PCs go with a wink and a nudge.

A lot of the world is beholden to the Realm, and is still impacted by it even if most of the locals would much rather see it burnt to the ground.

I made a character like that once, around 16 years ago. Then I sat back, looked at what I had wrought, and pressed all of the backspace.

I don't know if I can say that I never did it again, but it's not usually a concept I use. I did end up redoing a Lunar's backstory so that he was the equivalent of a patrician from Lookshy, though.

>threads are quiet because no more Holden to bitch about

That, and it's almost 4AM in the US.

I have a weird setting question. Do pianos exist in creation?

Our GM once pitted us against predatory sandworms that were pretty much explicitly the Graboids from the Tremors movies. He also stated that they'd pretty much count as "normal" animals in creation.

I don't think he thought about the potential ramifications of that, because when one player's Sid died about five sessions later, his next character was a Graboid-totem Full-Moon.

I'm pretty sure there's no canon answer. It's not that old an instrument in the real world, but it is entirely possbile that people somewhere in the Creation know how to make them.

It's because the plot arc writes itself. If you're a Dynast who has Exalted as a Solar (for example) you are in deep fucking shit. You have a ready-made supporting caste in your family, immediate plot arcs like:

> "Oh shit, I need to get the fuck away from the people who want to kill me"
> "Brother, how could you be one of THE DEMONS NOW."
> "I don't want to fight my father, but I MUST"
> "...Technically I'm still part of the family, so I'm torn between my familial loyalties and the fact that I've been labelled as a demon from super-hell."
> "I have lived my entire life as a quiet disappointment to my family, but suddenly I'm actually more powerful than most of them. Take that, MOM. Who's stupid NOW?"

There's so much drama in the concept, especially if you're from - for the blandest example - House Cathak. At the very least, you'll be doing a lot of brother-on-brother fighting, and then eventually Grandad Himself (Cathak Cainan) will take an interest.

>It's because the plot arc writes itself.
Yeah, everyone knows what it's like to play My Brother: Anathema. And even if you don't, you just have to take a look at modern media to get an idea. Hanzo and Genji, anyone?

Is there a better way of generating extra motes in combat other than Essence Gathering Temper?

Following from this thread, whats your taste in Exalted music, folks?

Didn't an Exalted Music suite go out?

Learn to be prudent with your mote expenditures.

Do Hearthstones give enhanced mote regen in 3e as well?

>Do Hearthstones give enhanced mote regen in 3e as well?

Only if its a mansed hearthstone. A socketed hearthstone lets you act like you are inside your manse which gives you the demanse mote regeneration which is 2 motes an hour for a 2 dot and 4 motes per hour for a 4 dot.

Really though the 5 motes per round should be plenty. You are suppose to be tactical with mote usage in combat. Not every turn needs to be a high powered attack.

Your only other option, really, is the berserk rage charmset in Resistance, which can provide extra motes per turn if I recall correctly. There's also the capstone charm for Brawl, which provides extra motes per turn only for offensive actions.

I'm asking because I want to build a Socialize Supernal and abuse the hell out of Personas.

Since this won't leave me with many charms for my personas, I'll have to make liberal use of my Excelencies; therefore, more motes is preferable.

Personas are deep enough and require enough investment I wouldn't recommend shooting for them out of the gate. Try to wait till like at least a few sessions in

They also only really take off once you have a fair chunk of XP gained.

Can I use Awakening Eye if I've made the Join Battle a Stealth roll (with Blinding Battle Feint)?

Pretty solid no I believe. Awakening Eye is Supplemental Charm which must be used within their Ability unless otherwise noted.

It did, and it's pretty good.

Here is the music I use for my Exalted games:

youtube.com/watch?v=8_lng0R1sHA
youtube.com/watch?v=ciLw1yw4dfs
youtube.com/watch?v=YkbyUNfvtkU
youtube.com/watch?v=R_t0ZET-hHQ
youtube.com/watch?v=SAPAgRR-ljI
youtube.com/watch?v=Tl4I0UVOtEk
youtube.com/watch?v=Vun29HO1nbk
youtube.com/watch?v=Kss0Wbc6hCA
youtube.com/watch?v=6WVAdT27MdE
youtube.com/watch?v=52ltrU5Xd84