With the recent Netflix series, my friends are brimming with want for a Castlevania themed campaign

With the recent Netflix series, my friends are brimming with want for a Castlevania themed campaign.

What system would be better to capture the overall feel of the whole franchise?

I just watched the show last night. I wasn't expecting much, and was pleasantly surprised. I am glad the 2nd season was confirmed. I'm looking forward to it.

>the overall feel of the whole franchise
There isn't even a consistent overall feeling going on in Castlevania. Killing undead things more or less easily 24/7 seems to be the only common point to all of them, at which point pretty much anything that simulates main characters being really hard to take down by anything that's not a boss monster works.

You could probably make it work with most superhero-related games like M&M or Wild Talents, being the latter a better option in my opinion as it's more focused on not fucking things up but not being absurdly powerful easily.

Sometime around CV3 it went from "Kill Dracula" to "Kill Dracula WITH STYLE"

No, the style really changed with symphony of the night. SotN is where castlevania adopted the weeb big time. Before that its source of inspiration was the universal monster movies.

I mean outside of the pretty boy himself I dont see a lot of weeb going on in SotN

He's probably just mad the franchise changed instead of liking both classicvanias and metroidvanias.

Nah I like the series for the most part. SotN is one of the better games in the series. I just recognize when and where things started to change.

I like the netflix series a lot though.

Why call it weeb, thou? It just took a different appearance. The game that actually started weebing it up a bit was Dawn of Sorrow (maybe even Aria, if we're taking into account plot too).

Instead of a whip can my character have a pair of crucifixes formed into knuckledusters as their anti-monster magic weapon?

Basically I'm talking big metal crosses on grips here used to punch abominations, possibility of the character wielding them being some sort of former-church member that has taken leave from the organisation of religion to hunt the night directly due to traumatic backstory? So throwing in some minor miracles of faith alongside the punching.

The worst games are the alternate continuity which begins with you playing as Dracula.

Who plays a goddamn Castlevania game to play as Dracula? Alucard is one thing but you play castlevania to be a hunter of vampires with maybe some relics or magical powers helping you out (in one or two cases you can choose to play as a werewolf but forget about that), not Dracula (and fuck Soma as well, a shitty jap-appeal character in every way).

I'm so sick of vampire shit, in everything just want to play as a dude that kills the gits.

I liked how Trevor manipulated the whip.

Yeah while trevor falls under a couple cliche's, there is no denying he is an absolute badass and pleasure to watch.

Thorin Oakenshield was a good choice.

Better not be hating on Kid Dracula

I loved how humor was present, but it didn't get in the way and wasn't the focus of the show. I was actually impressed with how well it was written. Nothing award winning, but a fun watch.

I've had an idea for a setting for a CV game.

>Set during the 1100-1200s.
>The Crusades are still going on
>The church can't do their normal thing of purging undead and others
>Falls on the Belmont family to pick up the slack
>An old family enemy is secretly trying to hamper their efforts (Mathias)

>Players are part of the Belmont family in one way or another
>Each one is a Vampire Killer canidate
>Current VK Wielder is getting long in the years and needs a successor
>Death makes a sneak attack on the current VK wielder
>Players have to make a quest to not only retrieve, but unlock the VK

It actually tastes nice if the girl is clean

It needs to be a game that deals with environmental hazards well, and I can't think of any RPGs which are good at that. The closest I can think of is 5E with its Unearthed Arcana trap rules, and I don't think it fits the rest of the setting well.

Yeah, I'm totally in on this idea. I was thinking of having the players go through "stages" no longer than 1 or 2 sessions (first- wood/cave monastic ruins. Second- ravaged town. Third- Flooded Catacombs. Fourth- "pacific islands" consisting of the bodies of dead gods) before setting them up at castle not!dracula floating up in heaven and switching over to a true metroidvania style. 3-4 lieutenants with factional interests and specific areas of the castle which would have to be dealt with before opening up the pseudodrac

Castlevania IV has the coolest outside world of the sidescrollers. Every single level has ~3 background and climatic shifts