Is their a way to play 40k, without using the 40k rules?

Is their a way to play 40k, without using the 40k rules?

One Page Rules are a thing that exist.

Sure. Play 40k. The rules are made up and the points don't matter.

Explain your reasons for not using the actual rules and we'll be better able to advise.

I love the models, and know the rules but they feel really clunky and are kind of stupid at times
Do you guys think it would be possible to use risus to play a war game?

Play the old Inquisitor game for some hardcore narrative squad tactics. Other than that im sure you can jam 40k minis into any other kind of sci-fi skirmish/wargame.

Sure, and you can even use your 40k models too. You'll need a table to play it on, obviously, and a tape measure, and a handful of d6 per player (you can use these rules to have more than two players, though it might be best to divide the players into two teams for the sake of balance).

>Assuming a 3x3ft table, each side has a six inch deployment zone on a table edge (rolling a dice to determine an order for who gets to pick what table edge).
>Each player takes it turn to deploy a unit / vehicle / single character, the person who finishes deploying first gets a +1 bonus to the roll for initiative to take the first turn.
>The winner of the initiative roll takes out their wallet and puts some money in the middle of the table
>In turn order, each player has to put in more money than the other player; if the player cannot exceed the amount of money another player placed, they are out of the game.
>Stuff the money collected in the centre of the board into an envelope and send it to:
>Games Workshop, Willow Rd, Lenton, Nottingham, England, NG7 2WS
>Take turns putting the dice in your mouth
>See who can extend the tape measure the longest without it falling over

Inquisitor was clunky as fuck (having separate chart types for range mods for different guns was idiotic. "Sniper Rifle = Range H" and so). If nothing else, I would recommend he give Inquisimunda a look at.

Is that you Kevin ?

Have you heard of this little thing called the current edition? It's clean and newbie friendly. Also better.

True, Inquisimunda, or any of the other 2nd edition/rewrites/conversions =][= has had over the years.

It's pretty obvious that I'm not whoever this mysterious "Kevin" is, because this Kevin fellow - who sounds wonderful, by the way - surely wouldn't be giving away such a detailed new set of rules for free, right?

I've looked at 8th it doesn't seem that much more simpler to be honest

you guessed correctly, Kevin Rountree really is a wonderful person. Ops, seems like i accidental wrote his wonderful full name...

Anyway, he just recently gave us unworthy peasants a new and improved ruleset which just happens to be playable with warhammer 40k miniatures...

Try the warpath rules by Mantic. Far superior than GW trash and easily compatible with 40k stuff.

try it out maybe before you go wasting time and making sure you'll never be able to play with a local group.

Bolt-Action

It requires some wonkiness, because its pretty hard to squeeze armies from Orks to Spess muhrins in a ruleset thats made for ww2

I've tried it, ehhh I don't know

LARP using midgets.

Dress them up.

Painted models get preferred enemy versus un painted models

Play Dawn of War.

Uh just play make believe with your friends.

Move your models around and say what they're shooting it. Honour system.

I do, but I also like painting and stuff

Ultimate apocalypse all the way

>move this many inches
>roll this many dice to shoot thing
>roll this many dice to not die
>repeat

If this game is getting to the point that it can't get much more simple without being completely boring, and some people already find it boring. Not heard it called clunky at all. For some reason I doubt you have played it.

It somehow managed to be clunky and boring, unlike 7th which is just clunky

Yes. There are a variety of scifi wargames that let you do customized forces. Check out the /awg/ for advice on more specific stuff like scale.

Inquisitor/inquisimunda is more of a skirmish thing, for which I would recommend the 5-Core scifi stuff. It does campaign play, skirmishes, easily customizable forces. One game's 'power armoured shock troops' are easy enough to sub in for space marines, etc.

I find 28mm works a lot better for skirmishes and do mass battles at 10mmish, or just hex & chit.

I think risus would be cool

Grots, conscripts and guardsman would be 1d
Space marines, necron warriors and such 2d
Bikers 3d
Vechiles and captains 4d
Heavy and commanders 5d

Now we only need movement armor and leadership