Is it possible for a Cthulhu monster to be benevolent?

Is it possible for a Cthulhu monster to be benevolent?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nodens
docs.google.com/document/d/1JL5acskAT_2t062HILImBkV8eXAwaqOj611mSjK-vZ8/edit
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Nothing George R.R. Martin creates is benevolent.

Sure

Have you ever caught a bug and thrown it outside instead of killing it, or rescued a drowning bee from a bucket of water?

There you go.

I alway reasoned like this. If their mere presence fucks over our entire planet it makes sense they stay far behind distant stars, its like when you avoid stepping on the ant roads.

Yes, Titus Crow once married Cthulhu's adoptive niece.

Cthulhu's brother was kind of a black sheep though - and not in a Shub-Niggurath way

go read up on bloodborne

Everything is possible.

The thing here is that Mythos beings do not share same kind of perception and understanding as mortals on Earth do.

For example, something among them would focus on locking up humans in a special zoo so they wouldn't hurt themselves or get hurt by old ones doing their thing.

On the other hand, you may have those that understand humans and do whatever they need to preserve them without zoo's for reasons unknown.

Yep, but it operates on such a different scale and system of morality to the average human its still an incomprehensible eldrich being enacting its horror upon the world.

For an example play Bloodborne

Because they're paranoid about having human get on their flip-flops and bite their feet?

Yes, some probably do that but some also do it because they dont wanna kill the ants.

While Lovecraft mostly kept his creation's goals and morals unclear at best and incomprehensible at worst, later authors created beings that were clearer on the good vs evil spectrum. Whether that's a good thing or not is up for debate.

What did he mean by this?

Well yeah but they would be a hippy. A cthulu hippy.

A joke based on the absolute ignorance of OP to use the phrase "Cthulhu monster"

Humans that got changed, or human descendants of monsters, sure.

But the REAL monsters and gods are generally far too alien in their nature to consider it.

Is a human "benevolent" or "evil" to an ant if it steps on it or doesn't step on it simply because it doesn't notice it or spend even a second contemplating it?

I think there is a race of aliens that created humanity, then died out. But they still sort of linger, and talk to people in dreams and stuff.

So they're the closest thing to benevolent.

>But the REAL monsters and gods are generally far too alien in their nature to consider it.

No, user, HUMANS are the REAL monsters.

This. The Old Gods and most of the alien races are so different from humanity and strange to our morals that "benevolence" is under or beyond their nature. Now humans, hybrids and humans turned to monsters have shown good will in some stories.

They're often far too alien to really be considered malevolent either. Many of them are completely unaware of what they passively do to normal beings.

Yes

In the Cthulhu Mythos is an entity named, if I remember correctly, 'Nodens'; he appears as an old (human) man, and while he's not exactly the friendliest guy around, he does go out of his way not to fuck with humanity unless it's for the express purpose of ruining Nyarlathotep's plans.

Nodens isn't a Great Old One or an Outer God, though: he's a mere Elder God (AKA the Gods of Man) from Celtic mythology: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nodens

Yea but he mi go and the great race both have interest in humanity.

There is nothing stoping lovecraftian monsters from being good to us, but it is the exception not the norm

Nah, there's a difference between Elder Gods and the Gods of Earth.

Nodens is on a level roughly equal to other GOOs, he just tends to avoid squishing us.

As another example, Bast and Yig are pretty damn similar, just people like cats.

he confuses JRRT with Edgar Allen Poe, you dumb, uneducated cocksucker

Technically, sure. Most aren't malevolent to begin with, and simply ignore humans like you ignore the microbes all around your body right now.
But just like you ignore the trillions of microbes dying every second to your outrageous body heat, so too do you ignore how your lower intestines house loads of friendly microbes that you live in symbiosis with, sheltering and feeding in a most benevolent way.

>a Cthulhu monster
What did they mean by this?

Sorry guys kind of a brain fart

What would you call it though?

Read his "Dream-Quest of Unknown Kadath". It has plenty of bro-tier monsters, including ghouls and the blind winged guys.

Lovecraftien (after Cthulhu's author) or Eldritch (a word Lovecraft masturbates to)

was Rom actually benevolent?
after all, the only way to truly end the nightmare is to fight off the Old One who created it
was she even aware of her powers holding back the bloodmoon, for that matter?

>Your friendly microbes in your intestines will never worship you as a god being.

You think they don't? What about all the offerings

I would call a person who steps on ants a cockhead, personally. I always make sure to not step on insects when I walk.

There's only so much Vitamin B and K that I can accept before I just want a shrine of some kind, ya know?

>Jesus Christ Pleasant, put some clothes on.

Just because you keep shitting it out doesn't mean there is no shrine.

A good Cthulhu monster is neither benevolent nor malevolent. You are merely beneath it and it may kill you on accident.

This is why the comparison to humans and insects is so apt.
Eldritch creatures typically don't even bother thinking about humanity, unless we get in the way somehow. Otherwise, they just go about doing their own shit and may occasionally kill a few people out of boredom.

Yes, but even people like that sometimes kill ants if they are in a bad mood, want to keep ants out of their personal space, or just don't realize what they are doing.

I will say no, since the actual Japanese name is "rom the stupid spider"
Maybe if they weren't spending so much time putting brains in jars they'd make better music

>I'm constantly genociding my own worshippers

Fuck. I can't even god right

depends on interpretation like fucking EVERYTHING in bloodborne

Being a genius loci is fucking tough man. Especially when you realize the very landscape spawns monsters to devour invaders, which know enough to not be microbist and assume all bacteria are harmful.
This is leading into either Osmosis Jones or Cells at WorkO

>Cthulhu monster
>benevolent

Feel free to draw inspiration from other works and change them. There's no rule against scary monsters that are actually nice (gentle giant trope?). But what about your monster do you want to be "Cthulhu"? Mysterious? Very powerful? Hideous? What is the character, what is the idea?

I thought Cthulhu was meant to elevate mankind to a "everybody kills each other and parties" sort of "civilization"?

Kidney stone, on the way.

Well first of all the blood moon is always there, you just couldn't see it.
Second, I don't think so. Redgrave's The Paleblood Hunt is a good read, and makes the case for Rom being an infant or child transformed into a great one kin. Rom barely fights you, only doing so in self-defense and even then you have to exhaust your stamina bar like 3 times before it does anything, and even then it's just flailing around, no cunning.

I was under the impression that The Great Race of Yith was actually pretty ok with people.

Also possibly consider Mantorok from Eternal Darkness. It was content to live as a benevolent fertility god to the Khmer people it came to.

Nah, Nyarly's the best Cthulhu monster and his entire deal is that he's not one of those lame I AM TOO ALIEN TO COMPREHEND gods.

His deal is that he's a cunt and a dumb cunt and will fuck up your day because he's a cunt.

This. The Great Ones are sympathetic in nature and would love for humans to join them, but humans never seem to ascend because of there horrible ways of going about it.

>It was content to live as a benevolent fertility god to the Khmer people it came to.
Well, it wasn't a fertility god at all. Mantorok's power is all about time and decay and crap, not fertility. It was content to passively accept worship and sacrifices and not disabuse them of their mistake. Which is about the most you can hope for, I guess.

>Rom the stupid spider
No. The actual Japanese name is Rom the "empty headed" spider.

Many eastern religions, particularly Taoism and Buddhism, place a great emphasis on clarity of mind or absence of unnecessary thoughts as one of the key components of enlightenment. FROM was likely trying to express something along that line through Rom's title, a connotation which was completely lost when translated into English and looked at through the lens of western culture. Of course, Rom simply being mindless instead or in addition to this other interpretation is also certainly possible, but either way its still important to look the title in its full context.

The PC makes it though.

Rom was a good boy, just trying to look after everyone.

Sure, it looks a little something like this.

Rom was more of a tool used to hide, occlude, and hinder the other Great Ones. She was stupid but harmless, and passively benevolent, if not actively.

You fight her because it is the only way to reach the truth about the Great Ones, but a case can be made that she is actually the only thing keeping people alive/sane in the beginning of Bloodborne.

Are there creatures and monsters beyond the comprehension of even the Great Ones, or are they at the top? Is there anything above those above the Great Ones? Etc.

Probably, but it's really hard for humans to even conceive what kind of beings they would be. A running theme in Lovecraft's works was that the true nature of reality is way, way bigger than what humans can comprehend after all.

But only after becoming the legendary,
BROCCOLI MAN, MAN OF BROCCOLI, GREATEST HUNTER THERE EVER WAS

it loops around. maybe the great incomprehensible ones don't interact with us because we're their great incomprehensible ones

Please oh Great One, grant me the power to-
> SURE THAT'S ALL I NEEDED TO HEAR IM A GOOD GUY AFTER ALL! HERE YOU GO!
Haha! Time to conquer earth!

Please grant me my wish, oh Majestic One.
> ALREADY ON IT! GOSH I DO LOVE HELPING PEOPLE!
AAAH MY ZOMBIE PUPPY IS EATING MEEEE

Please grant me knowledge, oh Awe-inspiring One.
> EASY PEASY MY FRIEND! I DO LOVE HELPING!
Argh, my brains....knowledge...WArglglglelalbellal

I'd become a broccoli if it meant I got to live forever.

Who wanntts to live forevveeerr
Who wannttss to live forrevverrrr?
Oooohh
Ooooohhh
When love must die?

I don't think they're actively hostile. More like they have a blue/orange morality scale.

Is it possible for a kid with a magnifying glass to NOT burn ants on an anthill?

Yes, just unlikely because the Kid doesn't understand the concept of life/death or even morality. They are in fact, physically incapable of it because their brains aren't developed fully.

Incidentally this is how I explain species with "Always Evil" alignments, they lack empathy centers by nature

>This. The Great Ones are sympathetic in nature and would love for humans to join them, but humans never seem to ascend because of there horrible ways of going about it.
well that and the Moon Presence being a dick and making things even harder by being the source of the Beast Plague(ironically the Great Ones are actually pretty understandable by Eldritch Abomination standards, their basic motive has logic to it, it's just the way they try to achieve it and the scale they operate on that gets harder to understand)

heck people like to make comparisons between Oedon and the Abrahamic God or the Zoroastrian Ahura Mazda, in such a scenario I'd say the Moon Presence is the Satan or Angra Mainyu/Ahriman of Bloodborne's universe

See: Nurgle

not saying the chaos gods are eldritch and complex abominations, but Nurgle clearly is a benevloent god, who is made evil by his purview.

docs.google.com/document/d/1JL5acskAT_2t062HILImBkV8eXAwaqOj611mSjK-vZ8/edit

If you like reading and bloodborne, have fun. Very coherent thesis.

Nurgle's issue is that he loves all living things equally
So if it's better for the millions of bacteria in your gut if you're a bolated abomination, tough shit, there's more of them than you

>was kind of a black sheep though - and not in a Shub-Niggurath way
Ha!

Why live?

Some would argue that's EXACTLY how one should god

The great race of Yith is arguably benelovent to humanity in their own dickish way.

Same for the elder things.

The Mi-Go are on the grey area, they doesn't want humans to be extinct but they are colossal faggots about it

>Well, it wasn't a fertility god at all.
He chose Alex Roivas and her juicy lickable ass as his champion, user. He can make it work for him at times.

pretty sure Kos is the source of the curse