Why are dragons so prevalent in fantasy and games?

Why are dragons so prevalent in fantasy and games?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=rWVeZx2IP30
youtube.com/watch?v=gzmZzO7kaqs
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Because they're sort of archetypical

Develop your hypothesis

Because they're really sexy.

They represent danger/evil/etc.

They represented the Devil in the Middle-Ages, and earlier in Antiquity, there were several myths of gods/heros fighting dragons(aka big snakes). Some examples:
Zeus fighting Typhos
Apollo fighting Python
Thor fighting Jormungard
Sigurd fighting Fafnir
Ra fighting Apophis

Dragons/Giant snakes have been a symbol for Arch-nemesis since Antiquity.

Because they are so prevalent in fantasy and games.

Smaug.

We'd all like to pretend it's something else.

But it's not. Dragons have the place that they do in the fantasy genre because of Smaug.

Not to mention that post-Tolkien dragons based on Smaug (or Fafnir, from farther back) create a particularly cool personality for an enemy, where they're intelligent and sharp, as well as usually sadistic and cynical. Actually, the more I think about it, the more I realize that kind of dragon is just a particularly cruel cat in a huge lizard body.

'here be dragons' is a famous phrase for a reason.

Dragons have been with human imagination for a very very VERY long time. It's only natural that they show up often.

You couldn't be more wrong.

I could. I'm not. There are plenty of other dragons, before and after.

There are none that compare to the influence Tolkein's had.

It's just how it is.

Name one source you think was more important in shaping the fantasy genre's interpretation of dragons, than Smaug.

Guess what? You're wrong.

the animated smaug was pretty much a literal giant cat

youtube.com/watch?v=rWVeZx2IP30

Daily reminder.

Smaug's description is directly taken from Fafnir's description, so you could say the model for modern D&D-like dragons is Norse mythology. And I say 'D&D-like' because there are several modern representations in which the dragon cannot fly or communicate, so again, not inspired by smaug.

You're wrong, sorry.

Of course it's derivative.

No one is arguing that Smaug's portrayal is original.

The popularity and depiction of dragons, in the fantasy genre, is a direct result of Smaug.

This is not a claim that Smaug is in any way unique. This is a statement of simple fact that his influence on the fantasy genre is greater than the influence of any other dragon, and is directly responsible for the portrayal and prominence of dragons in fantasy.

You don't understand the conversation well enough to even be wrong. You're just... irrelevant.

I've never encountered a dragon in any of the games I've played.

I've played games in settings where they exist. but never encountered one.

what is this a reminder of?

I'm arguing that its popularity is NOT because of Smaug, since dragons have been popular in myths and legends that shaped modern fantasy for thousands of years. It seems like YOUR perception of the 'fantasy genre' is rather limited. Tolkien had a huge influence in modern fantasy, sure. But if Smaug had never been invented, dragons would still be popular in fantasy settings, that's just a fact.

And it seems like you're the one who can't understant how a logical discussion works, since you resort to fallacies. You're the irrelevant one.

>it would have been in fantasy, therefore the thing that had the biggest influence isn't the thing that had the biggest influence!
And you wanna talk about logic?

Guy, you're silly.

You don't seem to understand the point that dragons have been the most iconic fantasy creature long before Tolkien and that Smaug only exists because they're such iconic creatures. If you said that 'D&D-dragons' were mostly inspired by Smaug, maybe you'd be right(although Gygax himself would disagree with that), but you said 'modern fantasy' dragons. No, just no. They would still be the most iconic creature regardless of Tolkien. Got it?

You're dumb, kid.

Not being able to formulate a logical argument and resorting to Ad Hominem is a sign of low intelligence. You're dumber than me, son.

glaurung is best middle earth dragon

Wankalagon the Nigger is shit-tier

Because they are cool. D'oh

Presumably that Tolkien's dragons were really big

>You don't seem to understand the point that dragons have been the most iconic fantasy creature

But the genre didn't exist until recent times though. Like, late 1800s or early 1900s. Saying Fafnir was a fantasy dragon is like saying Gilgamesh is the first superhero.

Technically correct, if your framework is extremely narrow and/or retarded.

I want to kill all the dragons

youtube.com/watch?v=gzmZzO7kaqs

They are symbolic representations of Chaos.
They are made up of the features of the archetypal predator: A snake, with bird of prey's wings and talons, and the legs of the tiger; because the human brain uses it's predator detection+reaction system to also react to intellectual challenge and chaos also.
To overcome a dragon is to overcome any challenge in life.

A dragon is a very old tool

Hello, reddit

this...
even the native guarani back home had their own depictions of dragons:
Moñái, a large hypnotising snake that puts you in a trance and keeps you for food, Mboi Tu'i, a large snake with a parrot's beak and legs, and my favourite is Teju jagua: has the body of a monitor lizard/crocodile and seven dog heads that have a fiery gaze. there are others but im derailing.
were still prey animals, we still fear the predators our ape ancestors feared, snakes, crocodiles, big cats and eagles... as such most myths are based on these primordials fears
why does medusa turn people into stone for example, well apes will freeze up when they see snakes

Never seen a dragon. If there is a big bad, it's usually a minor god, or some kind of intelligent monster like a mindflayer, in experience

i want to fuck all dragons

Blame George.

>Why are dragons so prevalent in fantasy and games?

>Why are dragons so prevalent in fantasy and games?
lack of originality