How do I get my 11 year old daughter into TRPGs?

So a little bit of background I guess? I'm a single parent and my daughter is a bit of a recluse, "PC master race" in the making. She's doing well/above-average in school which is all I can ask for really. After coming home and doing homework, she'll stay up until 1AM or so playing videogames on her computer.

The problem is, that's not really healthy, and I don't want her getting hooked on digital media. In the late 90s when the internet was REALLY taking off, I said, "this is bullshit and it will create a generation of spoonfed nearly-brainwashed children who'll grow up to be parasites".

My daughter likes playing Minecraft, Skyrim and Final Fantasy XIV. None of these games will actually develop her some social skills, so besides just dropping her off at an LGS and driving away, what are some good strategies to get her into (at least) entry-level TRPGs?

Other urls found in this thread:

ffrpg.net/ffrpg/
img.4plebs.org/boards/tg/image/1378/21/1378215838453.pdf
risusiverse.com/home/optional-rules/evens-up
reddit.com/r/FFRPG/comments/3vnq9h/updated_download_links_links_para_download/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Tell her about the TRPG Genre and see if she likes it, It's not for everyone so don't force her into it.

I imagine starting one on one engine heart sessions could introduce her to the idea.
Board games like Betrayal at House on the Hill where you have lose rpg elements would also work.
My dad used to play AD&D at around that age, but mostly just to make little lead cast and painted figures, which is also a good idea, girls tend to enjoy art so painting figures then
teaching her how to play the games might be a sneaky way of getting her into the hobby.

Hope this helps.

But Minecraft also has a fuckhuge community, just make sure she gets some facetime. LAN parties are your friends when it comes to getting /V/ children talking to each other.

Get her to do some sports first, or some more traditional method of socialization, because your daughter is well on the path to the living hell of bitter NEETdom and peter pan syndrome

Quick question, does she have a creative streak? Like is she writing stories or drawing art of the games? Because if she is that'd be a pretty good way to get her interested in the hobby. Either way, like the other user said it's best you try and get her to do traditional socialization before she turns into a NEET and ends up on this website in five or so years.

Yeah this is true. I'll probably have to liken it to her video games too.

>painting figures
Unfortunately she has the hand-eye coordination of a double-hand blind amputee, she HATES arts and crafts. I'll have to try a fast and loose oneshot system, if she's interested and not too embarrassed about it.

Preach it. My brother's 40 and he's still living at home.

She mentioned offhand that she was writing "a story" about her XIV... stuff. I'll ask about her fanfiction at lunch (in about 3 hours) and try to segue into some of my Rogue Trader anecdotes.

Well, if she's writing fanfiction that might allude to her enjoying the story telling aspect of an RPG, so you might be able to hook her on that. It's best to start her off with light RPG elements of course, choose a rules lite fantasy RPG and run a one-on-one first or maybe have a close friend come over and join you two. Stick with a genre you know she like I'm only suggesting fantasy since she seems to have thing for it based on what she plays.

>In the late 90s when the internet was REALLY taking off, I said, "this is bullshit and it will create a generation of spoonfed nearly-brainwashed children who'll grow up to be parasites".

People who were never even conscious of their own existence during the 90s can now post on here. There's an entire generation of kids raised on the internet, plenty of which made their way to Veeky Forums. You are surrounded by these individuals and can never escape no matter what corner of the internet you flee to, so have fun with that.

Anyway, to answer your question, I'd recommend starting with something more rules light so you can get to playing faster, to avoid her getting bored. The Skyrim and Final Fantasy XIV stuff implies an interest in fantasy, so probably go with some kind of fantasy campaign?

>She mentioned offhand that she was writing "a story" about her XIV... stuff.

That's definitely encouraging for her likelihood of enjoying roleplaying. Focus on the narrative angle of the medium while pitching it to her.

Liken it to vidya I guess? That's how my dad got me in.

First, you're a great dad for trying to meet her at her level and I feel like TRPG is a great way for you to be approaching this.

As others have said, the narrative aspect of tabletop will help hook her - frame it as "playing out a story, with leveling and powers based on RPGs" or something.

As far as systems, I've only played 5e - if she's a big YouTube person, or follows any gaming channels, maybe try introducing her to Critical Role? That could go aways towards stimulating her interest in the genre as a whole. 5e is a little rules heavy but the show at least will help her understand the premise.

Everyone is John is simple but youd need a few more people.

Maybe try Lasers & Feelings? You could give her the option to control multiple characters in that - rules are V simple.

Why do you allow your 11-year-old to go to sleep at 1AM?!?

Mine are asleep by 11pm or that's a paddlin'. Seriously, cut that shit out, she's not 16.

Secondly, find out which of her friends at school have any interest in games (broadly defined) at all. Talk to their parents and organize a Games Night for the girls. Play a simple board game the first time, then later propose more complex games and maybe something like D&D. Emphasis individual character, world and story creation, rather than just using stuff out of a box. See if it keeps their interest. Once the ball is rolling you can stop chaperoning and let them make their own games.

>if she's a big YouTube person, or follows any gaming channels, maybe try introducing her to Critical Role
I'd recommend Rollplay or Roll20 for Youtube rpg stuff myself

>You are surrounded by these individuals and can never escape no matter what corner of the internet you flee to,
Oh I know. This isn't my first rodeo!

A rules-lite fantasy system should be good. I haven't looked very far but I dunno if there are any Final Fantasy-related ones? Failing that I'll probably look into 5e, Dungeon World or FATE since I'm somewhat familiar with them. The Youtube idea is good since she watches gaming channels, I don't wanna smother her though.

Hahahaha, I know, I get some shit for it but we have a deal: if she gets good grades, she gets good compromises. Hate pulling out the "single parent" card but there's always a few circumstances that you can't help.

I'll probably ask around next time I get the chance, there's a Facebook group for the parents and teachers of her grade so that won't be difficult.

I have a little sister who is 8 years old. She likes reading books and playing minecraft and roblox on her computer. She also likes playing imaginary adventures, like any other small kid, but she has only a few friends and they don't come to visit her very often, so I end up playing with her a lot since I'm the only one who has patience to do it for a large amount of time.
Sometime ago, we were in a playground playing pirates, she came up with a imaginary magical flying ship and the adventure was about us exploring an island full of hostile natives. I had the idea then of playing a TTRPG with her.
So later on I sat her down and asked her to describe her character in more detail ( she described a pirate princess with long red hair who wielded a sword ), I made a character sheet based on the background story she came up with and skeched a full body portrait. She had no idea why I was doing that but she played along anyways.
Forward a few weeks, I used one of those online portrait creators to draw her character properly and made a character for me too. Then I printed them at work, glued them in cardboard, cut them out and used plastic bottle caps ( with a cut in the middle ) as base for the crude minitures. I also did a bunch of goblins using that method.
Then I used an online map creator to make a few maps, printed them and also glued them into cardboard.

When I came to visit her, I brought with me the minitures, the maps I made and my set of dices. When she asked me to play with her, I invited her to play something different, showed her the stuff I made and gave her a basic explanation of how the game worked.

She was very confused at the start of the game, she wasn't sure of what she could or could not do and I explained to her that she should imagine what the characters would want to do in those situations and explain to me in details, just like we did when we were playing pirates.

We ended up playing for an hour and a half and she liked it a lot.

Oh dang. Go on, I'm taking notes.

I don't know of any final fantasy RPGs specifically, but I don't think it'd be too hard to refluff any given RPG to work in the setting. The best advice though is try to engage her imagination, try and make it wonderful and magical, she's still at that young age where she can feel nostalgic about this kind of stuff. If you play your cards right she'll end up 9 years down the line of fond memories of bonding with you and RPGs in general.

And don't mind the guy criticizing your parenting, some styles don't work on certain kids, my brother never learns and has only become more of a rebel as a result of my father's "parenting".

>A rules-lite fantasy system should be good.
How about you try some fantasy board games a few times, things like "Dungeon", "Smallworld" or "Mage Wars" (which is more a card game but still). If she shows interest in that move her onto one of the OSR games (I recommend "Basic Fantasy RPG" or "Darker Dungeons"). Hell, you could try MtG or Warmachine if you want too, anything to spark her interest in things sold in FLGSs, user.

you a MILF?

Not to just tell you that you're wrong, but isn't FF XIV the MMO one? Those games are notorious for helping kids develop social skills. I know I learned not to be a cunt from playing WoW around the same age.

>I don't know of any final fantasy RPGs specifically
ffrpg.net/ffrpg/
It's unofficial but decent enough. Could also use this one
img.4plebs.org/boards/tg/image/1378/21/1378215838453.pdf

We ended up playing 5 times so far, our last session was last weekend when I visited my parents.
I created a priest DMPC with basic healing skills and a few buffs, to support and guide her.
It is a basic adventure, her magical ship was damaged in a storm and she had to land in an isolated island and is now exploring abandoned ruins that are occupied by goblins. Shes very creative, she likes finding treasure but shes not fond of killing the goblins for some reason, she even used stealth and diplomacy at some points to avoid combat, even after I explained to her that goblins are weak critters.
I'm using a barebones system that is a mix of 3.5, AD&D and GURPS rules and I'm coming up with stuff as the story goes on.
Shes liking it, as far as I can tell at least. She wants to keep playing it.

Lucky bastard. Hopefully when me and my wife have a kid they take to playing games as well as your sister has.

You're a good onii-chan

>she even used stealth and diplomacy at some points to avoid combat
Aww, that's adorable! Maybe you should play it like a Ryuutama or Golden Sky Stories, those Japanese games that favor the slice of life adventuring over get-shit-done stuff.

Ehh, that's true but I was more talking about the "in real life" social skills. Not that she's old enough where I'd leave her alone at an LGS every Sunday, but yeah.

Even if I don't use these 1:1 I can at least get more info out of them... brb scouring the Final Fantasy wikis to have a good idea of what to use. All I remember are chocobos and summoned monsters.

I learned how to be a cunt by playing Tibia when I was a little kid.
I used to make female characters, lured guys into rooms full of monsters and trapped them there, after they died I would loot their items and would follow them around, making fun of them.
Good times.

>Even if I don't use these 1:1 I can at least get more info out of them...
Glad to be of some assistance

FATAL

I mean, ignoring how it's needlessly complex, exceptionally inappropriate and /pol/ bait. Isn't it like, impossible to run without some house ruling?

Oh my gosh

Play risus with her especially with the evens up rule
Found here: risusiverse.com/home/optional-rules/evens-up

Also im pretty sure Veeky Forums has a Minecraft server, you should also introduce her to thinking vidya like dwarf fortress, ss13, and dungeon crawl stone soup.

Also dominions

>introducing her to SS13
please no, the autism that exists there would be bad for her, it would scar her forever.

Come on it's stupid fun, as well as being a walking psychology: the game

tgstation in specific is really fun.

But warning tons of swears, and dominions has artistic nudity.

Dwarf fortress and rim world are both there approved as well as being kind of addicting

Oh I know it's fun. I wasted a good two years on the cesspit known as d20 station while I still played. The autism is overwhelming and the majority of servers are cancerous, garbage or both.

For sure risus, it's one page narrative focused and easy to use it's also free

Yes. The numbers don't add up in such a way as to be playable. Certain parts of character creation leave parts of the character's statline literally unusable because you end up performing faulty quadratic algebra that leaves you with negative numbers in variables that need to be in the high thousands.

It's nice that you want your daughter to have other free time outlets than vidya.
But I really don't thing Veeky Forums crowd is the right choice here.

What kind of game requires you to have a stat in the high thousands?

I've read fatal but I didn't realize it was that bad.

On anouther note, spare her the torture of learning dnd 3.5 and pf. I wasted 4 years of my life learning those before I realized they where crap.

Get her into a sane game like GURPS or risus or the d100 w40k games or coc

Well, even if she does bump into Veeky Forums posters, the type of people who generally play tabletop would probably end up being a nice fit for her later in life, considering her current hobbies.

Plus we are the professionals in this kind of situation.

As much as I hate to say it

Oh fuck... You're right.

If you're worried about her not developing adequate social skills and not maturing healthily, the last thing you should be getting her into is TTRPG. At least, in this point in time.

I strongly recommend you encourage her to exercise and play a cooperative team sport with other kids her age. Cultivating physical excellence, discipline and health is an investment that will pay her back for the rest of her life. From what you've said, she's already very sedentary and that's going to stunt her intellectual growth once she's in her 20s.

>She's doing well/above-average in school which is all I can ask for really.
The only children who do poorly at 11 years old are those who are troubled in some way. Please understand, the fact that she isn't having any problems now is no excuse to be complacent about her development as a human being. I know on some level you want her to share the same hobbies you have but that can wait until she's in a better place in terms of physical and social health.

Good luck to you and your family.

Rules-light fantasy is usually the easiest way to get new people into TTRPGS.
Sports Girl Scouts, church if you're religious, and school clubs also are good for socializing

>church ... good for socializing
I implore you to reconsider. Juvenile church activities have two kinds of participants - kids of devout believers that were raised in faith since early age that buy into the whole thing and are oftentimes more serious about it than adults. And the worst sort of ruffians that got sent there on parole. If you throw a normal kid into this company, it will slide towards one of those groups. And that's really not something a parent should do to their own child.

My family had some bad experiences with Girl Scouts and ended up sending my two cousins to the Spiral Scouts until the girls got into middle school. They seemed more laid back and casual than Girl Scouts and weren't hawking sweets every other month.

School clubs are also great, especially if she's not the most active prone girl. Chess club, debate club, art club, game club, you name it there is probably a club for it.

>After coming home and doing homework, she'll stay up until 1AM or so playing videogames on her computer.
Ok. So. First off. That's /your/ computer. Second, You can automate having the computer managed.
>she'll stay up until 1AM
Far more importantly, sleep deprivation will screw her long term.

>How do I get my 11 year old daughter into TRPGs?
Move the computer to a less private location.
You should do that either way, but don't let her associate the change with this next part.

A few weeks later, just start playing TRPGs there.
Bring your regular group.
And don't invite your daughter.

Growing up, the church my parents went to wasn't that bad, I can definitely see that being an outlier though, OP would have to do research

There are more options for socializing other than sports, I understand your concern for her health though

Also try taking her to local parks and swimming pools during the weekends, it's something active for her to do that isn't sports if she's not into them

For all Veeky Forums is, really, she doesn't really strike me as the type of girl to be "normal" by any standards. She definitely will lean towards a nerdy, probably shy girl. Given what Veeky Forums is made of, she can probably get used to it real quick, and fit in. The only thing that I'd argue might not help is the general age of people, but after a while that sort of becomes a non-issue.

Another way that might be more interesting is getting her into boardgames, especially eurogames. They're definitely far more social and rarely end up in table-flipping like most boardgames, and she can probably get used to them real quick.

t. 19 year old aspie girl who started playing TTRPGs when she was 10

LONDO?

19 is surprisingly young by Veeky Forums standards

If you want her to do combat you'll need to give her a good reason. For instance, since she's shown empathy towards the Gobbos, she could find a mean big Orc bullying the weaker and smaller Gobbos and forcing them to do evil stuff for him. That kinda shit always works on getting kids riled up.

Yes, naturally. We all know there are no girls on Veeky Forums.

Nice dubs. Also, yeah, 19 is surprisingly young
by Veeky Forums standards.
>tfw I've been the only person below 27 that plays historicals on the nearby FLGS for four years now

I got plenty of weird looks, and definitely not because I was attractive or anything, unless any of them have a fetish for girls that borderline look like the nerd stereotype.

I'm sort of in the same situation being 18, I mostly play with my friends though

But why does the orc bully the gobbos? Sounds like another quest.

Eventually you'll need someone who's repentantly evil or forgo combat, that or make the combat non-lethal

>unless any of them have a fetish for girls that borderline look like the nerd stereotype.

I'm pretty sure that's a fairly common fetish m8.

Glue strands of hair on her throat and hope for the best.

This, "nerdy girl" is a pretty vanilla fetish. It doesn't help that self appreciations of one's attractiveness is generally very unreliable and that, depending on who you're hanging out with, they'll have an exceptionally low standard.

Most of my childhood was spent at church was like that, however I ended up like neither. Due to strength of will and having helpful hobbies(Dnd), as said depends on the church and individual

Oh and summer-camps are good as well

Can't stress this one enough myself.

Don't underestimate people's potential for change, never know what the nerdy girl can become.

Good thing I don't read Shindol, nor do I care to. I'm wholly, blissfully unaware of what horrific plight she falls into.

NOT THIS AGAIN

I garauntee that at least some of those looks were guys into you.

It's too late now.
If she didn't express and interest in playing earlier, than she probably doesn't care about TTRPGs.

I started at age 5.

If you think she might like it, ask your group if she can sit in on the next game.

alsoNo minecraft until you finish your jujitsu.

That's just wrong though. She could show an interest any time in her life, especially if she wasn't exposed to it. I didn't get into table top until I was like 15 or so.

>15
Late bloomer.

>definitely not because I was attractive or anything, unless any of them have a fetish for girls that borderline look like the nerd stereotype.

Even Chad is into nerdy girls.

I guarantee that if you weren't a absolute earthshattering hambeast you had more dicks in the facility at attention than a four-star general in a Security Forces Squadron.

Fuck, I didn't have my first taste until about 19 and didn't have a solid start until at least 22.

Anyone can start at any age, some people just aren't ever exposed to it until later in life and others never give it a fair shot until someone they know or love asks them to. Also, anyone's tastes can change.

OP here again! Just wanted to say thanks for all your suggestions (and also any kind regards!). I talked to my daughter about it and she seemed pretty into it. I'll be running a short rules-lite campaign like did. Made an ad-hoc character sheet template at work for her, and we'll be playing this Saturday if nothing else comes up.

Thanks again!

Sounds awesome user. May this lead to something fruitful!

>actually diagnosed with Asperger's from a young age, checked later, confirmed

That does explain some stuff. Though, I never ended up being the recipient of anything lewd.

Remember op, you have to go all out, do what you can to make it a magical experience for her. If you do that, you'll imprint some really good memories onto her.

Be sure to post results.

Well I mean, to be fair. Unless you're spending time with the kind of people who have next to no social adjustment, you won't really pick up on them giving you glances every now and again, unless you're specifically watching out for it.

I got into TTRPGs at 18.

Well, now you know.

Now you can subtly listen in and learn about their fetishes so you can hit them hard when you need one of the slobbering manbeasts to be your bf.

Don't forget the miniskirt, thigh-highs, and perpetually pissed off attitude even as you hand them their bento.

>miniskirt and thigh highs
If only women actually dressed like this in real life. I'm not into the tsundere thing, but zettai ryouiki is some toptier shit.

Start light. Settlers is an excellent gateway drug.

Once the idea of playing games at a table has stuck you can talk about "princess adventures" or whatever her particular affinity is (my niece only plays barbarians who kick butt, for example).

The other big thing is host a game at your house. She'll be interested in what you're doing and maybe ask to be included.

That's how I got into poker.

I'd do that for an April's Fools gag, honestly.

I've tried, it's not really comfortable. It does look cute, I'll give you that, but still doesn't beat jeans for comfort and just in general ease of wearing.

It's a shame it's entirely a "form over function" thing, it's easily one of the most tantalizing things out there for a lot of guys.

Not them (completely different user here) but yeah, miniskirts, thigh-highs, and glasses click for me so hard it's not even funny. Fiancee wears glasses and I got her to do this for my birthday this year. I nearly fucking lost it.

>I've tried, it's not really comfortable.

Damn, really? It doesn't look that uncomfortable. It's absolutely my thing so it kinda sucks to hear that it's not comfortable for the lady.

What's uncomfortable about it though? I wouldn't have thought thigh-highs or a miniskirt would be that way (I say, having worn nothing more feminine than kneesocks)

>My face when she's got zettai ryouiki and glasses
Add in a nerdy personality, spunky demeanor, and shoulder-length wavy hair and you've got my perfect waifubait, bar none.

I mean shit my actual anime waifu has every trait but glasses. If she was 3D I'd beat italy as the world's largest producer of spaghetti.

You feel me nigga
>tfw girls with long hair, ZR, glasses and she's flat as a board

>Flat as a board
Absolutely, but she can have whatever bust size she wants to have if she meets the nerdy criteria + two of any of the rest.

Show her your dick.

Stick it in her pooper.

No, no you see. The flat chest adds to the experience. though this depends entirely on the type of girl, big tiddies are still okay

Detached sleeves are also underappreciated. It's ZR for shoulders.

Which one of those requirements would you be willing to compromise on and why is it the "girl" one?

I think we're getting off topic with the waifubait. Damn sexy (imagniary) Ca/tg/irls!

OP, definitely continue to get your daughter into RPGs. And keep us updated - with detail - because Veeky Forums loves stories about cool dads playing Veeky Forums with their cute daughters. Hell, Veeky Forums in general likes cute shit, or at least used to before /pol/zilla took over. I haven't seen a cute thread since so I don't know how the Tard-right will respond.
>Pic related

Detatched sleeves /look/ like they'd be kind of uncomfortable though. We initally got sidetracked because Ca/tg/irl said ZR was uncomfortable and I was surprised.

>jeans
>comfort

>>Pic related
Of all the childlovers tales I've read on Veeky Forums, this was perhaps the most heartwarming one. If real.

>detached sleeves
But user, everyone knows that only lewd shrine maidens show off their armpits

>that spoiler
Fuck, you've read me like a book. though in reality, traps are for fucking, girls are for loving

Not into armpits, my dude.

Show her all the loli characters you and point how lickable their armpits are.
Like. Fucking hnng that's a nice lolipit~

Unless you're a chick, other way around.

>Reimu
>loli
user... even if ZUN continues to draw her like she's 10, she's at least 20 in canon.

>Even if I don't use these 1:1 I can at least get more info out of them... brb scouring the Final Fantasy wikis to have a good idea of what to use. All I remember are chocobos and summoned monsters.

I'd rather not use that FFRPG. It is almost 17 years old and it shows, it is quite clunky. If you want to use a Final Fantasy RPG, take a look at this one : reddit.com/r/FFRPG/comments/3vnq9h/updated_download_links_links_para_download/

However, to introduce her to RPGs, I would rather go with Otherkind. Here's the PDF for you.