So the Doctor Who Roleplaying game is on Humble Bundle this month and I bought it really to just have a look. Anyway...

So the Doctor Who Roleplaying game is on Humble Bundle this month and I bought it really to just have a look. Anyway, I had an idea while flipping through one of the pdfs and it's a premise I think would be amazing if executed properly but I know I completely lack the patience and subtlety to do it properly so I'll just pass it on here and see if anyone would like to share how THEY would do this idea if running the doctor who game.

> make all of your players create time lord characters but with certain limitations that would allow the next line to come true
> the secret twist of the campaign is that despite the differences in their characters, all of them are incarnations of the same time lord

So yeah, I have no idea how I would justify them not knowing that, nor how I could adequately foreshadow and dripfeed the information to let them figure it out on their own organically or at the desired story climax. What would you do, Veeky Forums?

bump

I like Doctor Who as well. Is the Roleplaying game worth it? I'm scared it'll be just licensed shit.

Answering to your question, the best you could do is look for a justification in the show itself. Or maybe you could have them just inexplicably not remember their past incarnations, and then when they realize it they have to erase their memory and regenerate so the adventures they have had in the past won't change and time won't destroy itself, or something among those lines.

Here's a question about it though. How the hell do they not know? The future incarnations will remember the past ones. If you wipe their memories of an entire regeneration, you're resetting them all to basically the same mental state when they freshly regenerate, so wouldn't they all think they're on their same life and have just regenerated, meaning variation would be quite impossible?

Couldn't that be avoided with them starting the game midway through a certain regeneration with no knowledge of prior regenerations nor which regen they're up to but memories and experiences of the current form they're in being what shaped them to be different?

They'd still all need to share the exact same first regeneration as a backstory. Not knowing how many regens they have left is a plus though, as it would mean the players wouldn't be able to use their extra lives flippantly.

the Doctor can make himself forget that he is the Doctor on purpose, no reason to think the other Timelords could not as well.

He did that by literally keeping most of himself in a pocketwatch, turning him into a Human.

It'd be difficult but not impossible to work this out. Perhaps they all only remember parts of their first regeneration and none of the fragments they each have are enough to immediately piece together that it was all the same person, but all players remember enough of their first regeneration to know that they are a time lord; how to use their tardis, sonic screwdriver/whatever

Cubicle 7 do good with their licences from the other games I've seen.

Does anyone remember the old Doctor Who RPG, it might have been fan-made?

It had a neat idea for a !notDoctor character called the Curator, who ran a TARDIS museum and decided to steal one.

As for OP, I really wouldn't try to do time travel bollocks in a role-playing game. You can't set up prophecies because what if a character dies, or does something different? Just use time and space travel to get from one adventure to the next, like in Classic Who. Don't try to be clever.

Poor John Smith

It's a weird RPG as for it to work true to canon you need to have one overpowered Mary Sue Ubermensch PC/DMPC with everyone else essentially being various shades of cucks.

I mean do you really want to play a game where you're this guy and have to watch how much your fiance repeatedly wants to fuck another character while pretending they're not actually fucking.

Thanks for potentially saving me from Moffatting shit up.

However, deaths would actually play into this pretty well. The first player to die could regenerate as per the usual rules (to lull players until a false sense of security) and then the next to die could regenerate into another players character while they're still playing them

Since the thread is going to go this way anyway, and because I'm an annoying prick that likes to start bullshit, I'm going to get this off my chest:

The decision to go for a female doctor may have been fueled by SJW/PC intentions, however I feel that that's really irrelevant to the character. What is relevant is how well the actor and the writers are able to portray The Doctor as a female character, and, quite frankly, I don't have much faith in the studio, and I feel that Whittaker will deliver an Average, but not spectacular performance.

So, is a female doctor something that could be done interesting and well? Absolutely, it's an interesting challenge. Is it something this cast and studio can pull off? Probably not.

On the bright side... if you're a yurifag there'll probably be a dedicated Doctor Who thread on /u/ as Tumblr, Drawfags, and co spew out a fuckton of lesbian artwork. Plus Jodie Whittaker's nudes have already been leaked.

Have you played the game? Is that how it works in practice?

This thread isn't about 13, sorry user

Hasn't NuWho been down the toilet for years now under the reign of Moffat, making female Doctor be average at best an already sure thing?

If you're willing to let the big reveal happen whenever instead of deciding it has to happen eight sessions from now when they go to Gallifrey and the High Council reveals everything and it's going to be shocking and amazing and it can't come sooner reeee, then sure, go for it. Might be cool.

Hell, even in the series itself it's not like everything was a big finale reveal like the Watcher or Bad Wolf. The Master basically just mentions that the Valeyard is the Doctor in passing, and it's great.

It's probably better to run it in a homebrew Pathfinder game with the companions as fighters/rogues and the Doctor as a high level wizard.

Idc about 13 being a woman. As long as it's a good and interesting character that can bring new stuff to the table and keep me interested, I'm fine with her. Literally not going to spend all day hating on SJWs for turning the doctor into a woman because I just don't give a shi.

As for Nuwho going down the toilet, s10 was actually pretty alright. It was kinda eh in the middle two episodes with the string vampire dudes? That made me skip those. other than that, it was pretty great.

Also Christmas special with 12 and 1, can't damn wait yo.

You're correct in your assumption that I wouldn't want to play cuck Rory
But I'd play the fuck out of Amy if you know what I mean

Honestly I'd just make it the end twist of the first session and not even bother trying to hide it long time. Player 1 is the first incarnation of himself, player 2 is freshly regenerated incarnation having the usual post regeneration stuff, player 3 is grouchy and has a grudge against 2 for some sort of past issue, and 4 just thinks it would be rude to spoil it right away.

If I did a Doctor Who game I think I'd have the players all be UNIT agents or time agents.

It doesn't have to be, only if you play it with the Doctor/Companions party format.

What I'd always intended to do that is to have the Time Lord character be a revolving door. When the Time Lord dies or the player voluntarily gives it up, they regenerate into a new incarnation played by another player, and the first player rolls up a new companion, so that eventually everyone gets a shot at it.

Also, it's an unfortunate consequence of the series writing (especially the classic series) that companions are useless most of the time, but they don't have to be. In my view, companions are best when they have legitimate skills of their own that can contribute to the group (Adric's mathematical genius, Jack's Time Agent experience, Martha's medical knowledge, etc)

Here, have a printer-friendly character sheet I made. The ones in the core rulebook have a starfield background which makes them use a shitload of ink.

In a very recent episode, Missy didn't remember what her previous incarnation did.
Probably that "wibbly wobbley timey wimey" stuff or that fixed points bullshit. I mean the Doctor knows a shitload about history, but everytime he drops some place, he doesn't know what's about to happen. Just bring the same effect.

Moffat's leaving, next season's going to be made without him. Don't know about the Christmas Special.

This.
When I played it, all players were UNIT personnel. Sometimes the Doctor would turn up to help out.

>In a very recent episode, Missy didn't remember what her previous incarnation did.

The excuse used was something along the lines of "when our timelines converge, we won't remember it."
The same thing was used for 10 and 11 for the 50th anniversary special if I remember correctly.

>Don't know about the Christmas Special.
Christmas Special will be Chibnall
Moff is officially gone

>I'll just pass it on here and see if anyone would like to share how THEY would do this idea if running the doctor who game.
A rogue TARDIS who's camouflage circuit ISN'T broken is kidnapping those its strange eldritch consciousness deems to be "time criminals" by transforming into doors and the like.

In exchange for their eventual release, it conscripts them into "fixing the timeline" wherever it believes the timeline is "wrong."

Basically you have the DIrty Dozen, meets Suicide Squad, meets eXiles, meets Quantum Leap, with everyone pretending to be badass while all looking like silly fucking Dr Who monsters/villains.

Damn I would play the fuck out of this

I've been wanting to run it for a while. Maybe one-day I'll give in and Game-Finder it instead of trying to find an IRL group.

Bait?