EDH/Commander General /edhg/

Previous RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

CARD SEARCH

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info/

>Thread Question
Mirror mirror on the wall, who's the most annoying commander of all?

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/athreos-god-of-pissing-my-play-group-off-1/#c3103593
discord.gg/UE9Vqzu
imgur.com/a/gOoRw
magic.wizards.com/en/products/coming-soon
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>Thread question
Fucking Animar. I bring out turbostax as soon as I see that asshole and I giggle like a little girl every time.

>Mirror Mirror on the wall, who's the most annoying commander of all?- 1 post shown.
Leovold, thank god they banned him

>thread question
anything and everything blue/white

>what commander triggers you?

Fucking Nekusar, man

Geist didn't do anything!

>Thread Question
Depends on the build.
The most annoying one I've seen was Derevi tap-a-lot deck, that shit made use wipes without a second thought.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/athreos-god-of-pissing-my-play-group-off-1/#c3103593

Asking one more time before I pull the trigger and buy the deck. Do I need more or less Apostles? Most builds I've seen use ~30, but I've seen a handful using 18 and even even a few using something like 60. Is 24 okay? I'm trying to keep shit I find fun in the deck and that's real hard when you have to devote 1/3 of it to a single creature.

>>Thread Question
>Mirror mirror on the wall, who's the most annoying commander of all?
Avacyn and Zurgo both make me salty.

Why is Newzilek the most played colorless commander, out of all the better choices?

Because he's cheap and the other titans are not.

It's because he is the best you dingus brothers. Typically you play a shitton of ramp to get him out like turn 4, and then you have no hand. So he is draw a bunch of cards+cool stuff

Haha, OP, you seemed to have forgotten the Discord info. Here it is:

Veeky Forums EDH General Discord
discord.gg/UE9Vqzu

Don't beat yourself up about it though. Just try to be less forgetful next time.

Old Kozilek is the third most played colorless commander, and he's like $30.
I can accept this answer.

C U T E
U
T
E

To be fair there's only like 6 colorless commanders.

Did Vampires REALLY need a tribal focus? Lets just hope that they finally made leader Mardu like they should've done some time ago.

>Did Vampires REALLY need a tribal focus?
They are cooler than Zombies so yes.

aesthetically it looks like clerics, but i still think it's going to be wizards simply because there isn't a blue focus tribe yet

>cats are GW focus
>vampires are probably RB focus
>dragons are WUBRG

that leaves blue as the only color not used

i personally use her as (sort of) guaranteed draw in my command zone in my sultai reanimator. otherwise it'd be extremely hard to maintain her on the board, but since i'm running reanimation, it's not that hard to bring her back up

>vampires
really? what a boring fucking tribe. why cant we have something like spirits or elementals?

Yeah, and considering the art direction of the past few years (every card color must be represented in the actual artwork), there's definitely some blue in there. Clerics make no sense in U so I'm thinking Esper and wizards, or just rogues in UB.

its probably wizards or some other stupid shit

c17 is officially shit

gotta cover your marketing bases

vampires are for teenager edgelords
cats are for girls and gays
dragons are for chads and "lore guys"
wizards are for autists who like to jack off doing nothing and then win with combo

>Esper spirits practically confirmed for never ever happening
FUCK YOU WIZARDS. THIS WAS ALL I WANTED. C17 IS SHIT! SHIIIIIIIIIIIT!

What if it's UB zombies with a wizard commander, other zombie tribal commanders are wizards too

Vampires are popular
That said, I don't mind it. Grandpa Markov is cool and Mardu is a good color combination. The cats I could have done without.

>Thread Question
Zur the Enchanter and Arcum funnily enough both from Coldsnap

Could I have a link?
I missed last thread and I wasn't able to find a link there

I hope not, there's been tons of zombies lately

see imgur.com/a/gOoRw

Thanks

So no actual card or commander yet?

Commander 2016 was fail
Commander 2017 is even more fail
Seriously no one asked for Cats except annoying beta girls and stereotypical faggots. They are so fucking bad and I am instantly targetting any fuckboy who plays them. The rest of the tribes are so boring and lackluster as well that it honestly makes me wish it was Goblins and other popular stuff.

nope just art

>Commander 2016 was fail
What the fuck are you talking about? 2016 was such a success they couldn't even keep it on the shelves and had to order fucking foreign product at fucking Wal-Mart's and shit to meet demand. It also introduced a lot of really fucking popular commanders.

>No demon tribal
Why are demons so unpopular?

c16 was pretty good. it had something for pretty much everyone.

c17 is shaping up to be a disappointment though. tribal is already really meh and the tribes themselves are pretty shit so far. hopefully the legendaries they put in the decks will be good

Going by the image, while it's definitely unlikely, I think it has at least a small chance to be assassins, with the commander being their grand master or something like that

>they literally just stopped printing c16 in the middle of it selling so well you literally could not find it a month after release

i dont understand WotCs reasoning behind that, to this day it confuses me

I feel like it make much more sense than wizards actually.

assuming it was intentional, maybe to drive up the prices for the inevitable reprint?

it could have just been a fuck-up on their part, like they agreed to only print it for 1 month to free infrastructure for aether revolt or something

there aren't that many of them and they're almost all in monoblack, mostly. i would've liked to see something like pic related, basically print 1 card and let people choose between 3 tribes with it

They wanted Atraxa to be expensive to build hype for the return to New Phyrexia.

but they didnt reprint it, they didnt even print atraxa which is easily the most popular in the anthology. its baffling

Thinking of building Sliver Hivelord but only using Time Spiral block amd earlier Slivers

Just so you know literally everyone will hate you off the table the second they see slivers.

I know I do

Literally what tribes would have been acceptable? If you go for an obscure tribe then you don't have the support for 100 card singleton and you are being retarded, if you go for a supported tribe like elves or zombies then you are just throwing another commander onto the 10 they already have.

>No zombes, goblins, or elves
>No spirits when O-Kagachi is in a different fucking deck
>No "everything 5c" cancer
>Dragons give us Ramos and Wasitroa
>Vamps could print Edgar Markov or members of the Sengir clan in new forms
>Last tribe is probably Rogues, Wizards, or maybe clerics

Life is good. Cats are the only disappointment so far.

Then you're good, and patrician taste not using nuslivers (Hivelord and hive getting a pass for being classic model). Why Hivelord, though? Coat of Slivers is more bomby, Queen is a combo classic, and Tutor Overlord could literally just fetch the others out of your 99.

I still place my bets on UB Rogues.

I'm not usually one for custom cards outside /ccg/, but the flavor of this is spot-on, good job sir.

>only interested in Dragons and Clerics/Rogues so far
>might still buy Cats because chances are good they'll have a Doubling Season reprint and I'd get the rest of the deck for 10 bucks more than Season's price
Ugh.

Dragons was fine, loved tribe that needs a few other commanders besides Scion
Cats are so fucking retarded, unsupported meme tribe theyve only had since Amoncuck, will be shit no matter how many upgrades so its exactly as you said obscure ass tribe that can barely make a 100 card deck
The rest are just boring ass humans who get a Legendary each block anyways
Why couldnt we have got Naya Dinosaurs to hype up Ixalan, WB Clerics maybe?

If it is mardu I'll be super stoked. I'll brew around it for sure

Why though? They arent even top tier Commanders
I actually meant Legion to fit with Time Spiral that and I love his art

Nigga you wot. C16 was nice. Sure, Saskia and Gay kongz weren't as good decks as the other three, but even them were interesting and were focused to a certain type of player that would enjoy it.

Yidris and Breya are great, multipurpouse commanders and Atraxa is the casual table queen. Partners would have been cooler if Thrasios wasn't tier 0.5 everywhere and Vial Smasher wasn't literally the best card in 1v1. Really hard to balance and I dobut they're printing them again, even as monocolor

I lucked out pretty well, found a closed box with the 5 decks at a discount two months ago. The Atraxa deck is still sealed.

to me, a wizard tribe makes a lot of sense.

from what we can tell, the main focus of C17 isn't to print commanders for well-established tribes, because well-established tribes already have good commanders that attract deckbuilders

zombies have grimgrin, scarab god thraximundar
goblins have krenko, grenzo and worts
slivers have a billion good commanders

there's no reason for wotc to print commanders for those tribes, because they know that anyone who wants to build zombies or slivers has already built that deck.

however, the thing that i think wotc wants to do is print commanders for tribes that are somewhat well established, but are missing a good commander

cats didn't have a good commander.
vampires had kind of shitty commanders.
dragons only really had stuff like scion and atarka, both of which are kind of boring to build in their own ways (atarka just beats face, scion just tutors for combos)

wizards are kind of similar in that they have a ton of tribal support, but no good commanders that really inspire deckbuilding. obviously, azami does, but she's stuck in monoblue. after azami, the only popular options are niv-mizzet and derevi, which are build-around commanders, not tribal commanders.

so yeah wizards make a lot of sense to me

>Why couldnt we have got Naya Dinosaurs
Because there are not anywhere NEAR enough dinosaurs printed yet, even with getting new cards, and rather than hyping Ixalan it would probably steal Ixalan and Gishark's thunder.

Dinosaurs are already getting a pretty much perfect commander in Ixalan, no point doubling up on them when it's obvious the other won't be as good for them.
There also isn't any human tribal in here. The chick is going to be either Cleric, Wizard or Rogue.
Also, if she's Cleric, there'll be plenty of Ixalan hype between a new Vampire tribal commander and a Cleric one, both of which are relevant Ixalan tribes.

>c2016 has the most played commander ever
>somehow a failure
Also I don't like that they chose cats either, but you need to relax, user. At this point the anti-cat crowd is more insufferable than the cat lovers.

What if.

Legendary Creature - Human Cleric Rogue Wizard

In Esper.

>better choices
Karn is only comparable power if you build him as rude land destruction and original Kozilek is comparable but less interesting.

Kozilek 2 rewards you for dumping your entire hand to cast him asap, which is exactly what colorless already wants to do. His counter ability is very unique and fun which contrasts well with the old one's rude annihilator. It's a total tossup between which is better but they are the two best because they provide repeatable ways to draw cards.

>Why though? They arent even top tier Commanders
Slivers are in an awkward place -- they are super fragile while setting up, which takes a while, but they're also really stupid if they get off the ground. Basically, they're extremely transparent glass cannons and casual tables KNOW they have to raze it root and branch or lose while competitive tables see someone who, true, won't win but who if left unchecked will probably take out a random player before being slapped down and they don't want to be it.

I know that unless I was holding Rout and the mana to flash it I wouldn't let Slivers live, they are too damn explosive.

its cause they get out of control really fast and basically need like 2-3 turns to be nigh unstoppable because they are all 4/4s with indestructible and infect. the only way to really stop slivers is to make sure they dont get going to begin with so you focus them off the table early

Cat tribal decks existed before Amonkhet.

>Cats are so fucking retarded, unsupported meme tribe theyve only had since Amoncuck
it's like you should kill yourself or something

Thats the point though. There will probably only be 75 Dinosaur cards printed in Ixalan set and not everyone will be good most will be Limited fodder so that the Legendary Dino is literally worthless as a Commander since when you do manage a hit with him all you'll get is a couple mediocre bodies maybe with a few etb triggers but none of them looked that good desu.

Yeah and theres like 20 of them that exist, they are still fucking terrible and are casual fodder.

>cat tribal hasn't existed forever
>we need WB clerics even though we just got Tymna and Ravos
>Getting a Naya dinosaur in Ixilan but we need another one!
Wew

Dang, im still gonna go for it though. I love the Time Spiral Slivers too much.

Let's say they print 75 dinos over both Ixalan sets and half of those are worth playing. That's already almost 40. Then consider how many lizards, beasts and lizard beasts there are that will be errata'd to be dinosaurs and say half od those are also good.

That should give at least 60 dinosaurs to choose from. Now consider how much non-dino stompy supporr you'll want to run (ramp spells, kill spells, Naya support from Alara) and how many creatures you even WANT to run in the first place (since a lot of tribes don't want more than a third of their deck as tribal) and you'll probably end up only having 20-40 dinos in your drck anyway, leaving a lot of room for options with the leftover ones.

>That's already almost 40
You honestly don't even need more.
30-35 creatures for an edh deck is good enough.

That's why they need more support :^)

Go ahead, build a "C17 if user was in charge" Dino deck. Remember! You get 15 new cards, at least two of which must be "Generic" cards like Ash Basin or Command Tower that are in all the decks. Put it on tappedout, skipping verification, with things like "Eminence Dino" or "Awesome new rare dino #1" to show where you spend the new cards.

Remember! You can't use anything on the reserved list and it has to be a satisfying dino tribal with mechanical themes and shit.

(Also remember that Ixalan will have a small set -- Rivals of Ixalan. That, and not HoD, is the last Small Set)

i get what your saying but the tribes they choose are boring as fuck

they never had a proper cat lord before. and raksha doesnt count.

My point exactly.
30~% of the deck as creatures for creature decks is fine and not all of those need or should be Dinosaurs anyway, meaning you 'need' even viewer dinos than that.

>there'll be plenty of Ixalan hype between a new Vampire tribal commander [...] relevant Ixalan tribes
While that's true, there is the problem that Ixalan's vampires are white and black, and the former color has been barely used with less than 10 vampires that include white, and all of them multicolor with black
So they either have their commander be the most obvious black or BR, in which case many, if not most, of the Ixalan deck would not be able to be included in the commander deck without changing most of it, including the commander, or it will have to include W, which will be barely used in it except for some of those aforementioned WB vampires and sorceries, artifacts etc, of which they would not be able to add many anyway since they are definitely going to fill the deck with cards like Urge to Feed, Exquisite Blood and, hopefully, Vampiric Tutor

well ya build what you want and if thats slivers then by all means go for it just be aware the table will hate you and plan accordingly

>no elemental tribal

A little part of me died today.

>(Also remember that Ixalan will have a small set -- Rivals of Ixalan. That, and not HoD, is the last Small Set)
Before Rivals there is Explorers of Ixalan

magic.wizards.com/en/products/coming-soon

Mardu Vampires has been asked for for ages. W has a ton of life gain related support and a good amount of WB Vampires in Zendikar and Sorin-related cards. Add to that that Ixalan's Vampires are bound to have at least 1 or 2 good white ones among them and there is no reason why Vampires would not want this guy to be Mardu.

That's gonna be a reprint and premade deck set. Doubt it's gonna have new cards, since it's a board game.

Those facial markings are Orzhov.

It's a Thrulls deck.

Pls respond

Im not taking part in your homosexual card experiment

Because taking other people's turns can make them salty. Literally the only reason not to play Emrakul.

>WB Vampires in Zendikar and Sorin-related cards.
Also RTR orzhov has BW vamps and vamp-themed spells.

>You get 15 new cards, at least two of which must be "Generic" cards like Ash Basin or Command Tower that are in all the decks

Nope, there are 51-55 brand new cards across all the decks, printing command tower does not count as a new card.

I'm so upset that it is wizards. Every other tribe so far seems fine.

But every wizard deck is the same Azami/Labman deck.

They don't need shit. Every set has a wizard printed in it. Every single set.

>Dinobro realizes he can't do it with the parts WotC would have had.
>Calls challenge gay.

Horde has enough shit. Elementals are well represented in all colors but black. Cinders kind of sucked and things that normally would be elementals are usually horrors if they are in black.

>printing command tower does not count as a new card.
Never said it would, but every year of commander grants a new "Staple" or two. Command Tower, Commander's Sphere, Opal Palace, and Ash Basin have been some of the examples from past years.

id probably run at least 26-28, that said way to build the same athreos deck that literally everyone else has you unoriginal faggot

It's not set in stone to be Wizards. If anything, it looks closer to Rogues than Wizards and those are also in U.

Ya but horde itself is a boring commander.

and this years staple will be a tribal based one, Tribal Tower - As it comes into play choose a creature
{t} add {c} to your mana pool if you spend this mana on a creature of that type it gets +1/+1 until end of turn.
Or something like that.

Vampires here we go;

what if they reprint cavern of souls? i dont think they will but it would be nice.

>TFW wizards actually gives EDH decks expensive reprints by putting Cavern of Souls in all the tribal decks
>TFW nobody can find complete C17 decks as scalpers can turn a quick buck noting that they are literally worth it at MSRP just for the cavern
>TFW the same faggots constantly shrieking about commander decks having no value start shrieking about the scalpers

It'd be glorious.

Well with Cavern you could easily find the rest of the deck for cheap opened without the cavern, but i guess people might care a bit too much about that.

The commander sets are easy money for Wizards so they do not have to put that much value into it and it will still sell like hot shit.