You'll never live in an alternate timeline that's forever stuck in steampunk victorian age

>you'll never live in an alternate timeline that's forever stuck in steampunk victorian age
>youtube.com/watch?v=owddukdxFv4
fuck this gay ass timeline

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_cycle_theory#Contemporary_theories
youtube.com/watch?v=be1EM3gQkAY
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>eventually runs out of coal
ok now what

you can make coal from wood. wood grows.
you can literally not run out of coal if you're smart about it.

>200 years of burning coal in cities

humans would be extinct

Yeah bro, just like manually fossilize trees in a few days, like coal didn't take millions of years to form, fuck the environment and shit.
That's totally why we see coal as an infinitely renewable resource now with no negative environmental impact.

>he doesn't know humans have been making coal for hundreds of years
lmao @ ur lack of knowledge to be honest friendo.

educate yourself befure you embarrass yourself againe.

>steampunk

>wood grows
not fast enough
You don't need high carbon in the fuel, unless you are e.g. in steel mill industry, so wood is often fine. Coal started to be mined in UK because most of the forests had been already harvested, people realized that coal produces plenty of smoke and ash, and the mining process is ofc more expensive then harvesting wood but the demand for fuel was too high.

Dieselpunk > Atompunk > Autismpunk (a.k.a. Steampunk)

Just go to China if you want lung cancer that badly and hate workers' rights

Charcoal ≠ coal ≠ coke
Good luck with producing steel using charcoal retard.

you can use charcoal to run steam engines.

-->

Is there a Roman punk?

I like that sort of thing.

>tfw no qt steampunk gf

How have you never heard of charcoal? We can literally turn wood into coal in a furnace.

--> ,

You could find any other ugly cow off the street and just dress her up.

In what way is that outfit steampunk?

She's fat

She's keeping it period.

Was it the most aesthetic age?

The scale of the industrial revolution approached the modern yet it was all low-tech, sort of at a level that can be understood at a glance. The influx of wealth brought nouveau riche putting on the pretenses of the aristocracy and near-destitute dickensian poor stuffed between the city's infrastructure trying to build a life for themselves. In a generation they went from regency overcoats and laces to acres of belching chimneys and industrial marvels with meticulously tended to gardens, greenhouses and parks springing up incompensation. Somewhere in the midst of all this a couple made their fortune, saw everything their world had to offer and enjoyed victorian christmases with their children.

So much conflict and contrast, it somehow beats what came before and after.

>tips top hat

This and this alone.

You would be a peasant, dont forget it

>steampunk

I'm not talking about the autistic kind but the technically impresssive kind.

We love in a cyberpunk world, be grateful for the punk you got

>steampunk

Oh?

What's this from?

>steampunk
yuck
scifi inspired retro futurism is the best

Dieselpunk is where it's at.

Why is Eurasia cut in half on that map?

americentric map

>steampunk

>steampunk

Had I known a simple word could cause this much autistic outrage on Veeky Forums I would have used a different word to describe it.

We're just busting yer balls, OP. I think the images you posted look pretty neat. Although I'm a much bigger fan of Dieselpunk, Cyberpunk, and Atompunk (pic related).

cunt

It's not historical content you absolute mongoloid

over half this boards content is just discussing what-ifs.

I actually need to know where this is from

>my excuse for being part of a problem is that the problem exists

steamboy
says so in the metadata btw

Factoid: Steampunk is the gayest shit ever, everyone who likes it is a bender and the only thing decent to ever be connected with it is Arcanum

I think it be from an anime called"Empire of Corpses".

>you'll never live in an alternate timeline that's forever stuck in steampunk victorian age
Thank fucking GOD!

I would say Steampunk is literal garbage but that devalues garbage far too much to be a fair comparison.

Where does cyberpunk fit on that scale? Also, how could you be so objectively wrong as to rate dieselpunk over atompunk?

Why didn't I see this thread before?
>on Veeky Forums
Ouch, ya got moved son.

Nice pics though, only a couple of them are retarded, most are quite realistic as far of these things go

Cyberpunk > all others

Ignore all the triggered snowflakes, O.P.; I like steampunk, and I know a lot of other people on this board do, to.

Here; have a pic. (This one is currently my wallpaper.)

Steamboat operators nearly deforested the Mississippi valley at one point powering steamships. It would not have been sustainable for another 150 years.

Good?

I won't be unfairly disparaged as either a wog or red savage constantly and not have to worry about diseases and the lack of real medicine & disinfectant.

Computers that aren't baroque clockwork monstrosities sounds nice too.

>fucking idiots

Best girl.

That is a nice one - even the walker has concessions to reality with the 4 legs, and it's more incidental than the focus of the pic

That shit would never fly - not even hydrogen would generate enough lift to counter all that crap.

I think these airships are supposed to work on some sort of anti-gravity tech, based on the technological/mechanical-looking nature of the balloons.

>Big ass cool ships are not a thing because americucks pushed the aircraft vessel meme into oblivion
FUCK USA
FUCK ROOSEVELT
AND FUCK EVERYONE WHO WORKED ON THIS SHIT

Does this count as steam-punk?

see

>There are people alive that prefer steampunk brass corsets to atompunk space adventures

What a horrifying world

Diesalpunk>Atompunk=Cyberpunk>Modernpunk>Steampunk
Hard to tell. The smog filthy urban sprawl below alludes to a diesalpunk atmosphere but the shit looks like it'd be owned and controlled by some big corporate entity. Could swing either way, steampunk tends to look more clean then that

>easterrisingaccordingtotheirish.webm

charcoal and coal are two different things

Pardon, do you mean us eliminating the use of destroyers and dreadnaughts because aircraft carriers were far more effective? Or do you mean the lack of airships because heavy bomber blocks turn out to be likewise much more effective?

Because if you want to blame someone for the lack of destroyers you should blame the Germans for having nothing but U-boats to engage with and the Japanese for being so terrified of losing their own flagship that they refused to ever deploy it over using aircraft carriers themselves. Hell, the Japanese are doubly responsible on that note because the pearl harbor attack hit nothing BUT destroyers and cruisers, while our carriers were all elsewhere.

If you want to blame us for the lack of airships, do recall we're the ONLY fuckers who actually build and operated airship carrier vessels. There's just no way to shelter rigid airships from wind sheer and storms while we wouldn't develop the technology to accurately monitor and steer around that sort of weather for decades.

And in medieval times, you'd be a serf, but that never stops people from playing medieval settings.

Veeky Forums seems to hate steampunk for reasons that are either poorly explained or deeply stupid, but I think it's really just a few people.

I've started liking industrialized settings more after learning about the impact the industrial revolution had on human society. It was strongly connected to the transition from traditional to secular-rationalist values, for example, and apparently human population dynamics prior to it were largely Malthusian: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_cycle_theory#Contemporary_theories

>Computers that aren't baroque clockwork monstrosities sounds nice too.
They do look cool as hell, though: youtube.com/watch?v=be1EM3gQkAY

This video doesn't have the sound the machine makes, though. You can see that it operates in two steps, but there's this great KA-CHACK noise in between them— you can probably hear it in another video.

To the best of my knowledge, you are correct: biofuels alone could not have sustained the industrial revolution.

I have always liked the idea of a setting without fossil fuels in which the industrial revolution occurred via a leap from biofuels to nuclear power. Said revolution would be greatly delayed relative to our history, of course, but it is likely that scientific progress of a sort would proceed for a long time, in small, cloistered areas, until someone invented an atomic pile— and then the energy available to humanity would jump from "wood and whale oil" to "fission", with a corresponding jump in economic growth and everything else that came with industrialization. Synthetic fuels would be expensive, so you'd lack internal combustion engines; vehicles would be massive, hulking monstrosities with nuclear power plants in them. Enormous trains and huge semi-mobile mining equipment used to get at uranium.

>>Computers that aren't baroque clockwork monstrosities sounds nice too.
>They do look cool as hell, though:

Fun fact; when Charles Babbage ran out of money to fund the building of his difference engine, his friend, assistant, and unofficial spokesman Ada Lovelace (keen mathematician & daughter of lord Byron) tried to raise money by playing the odds at betting on horse races.

It went quite badly for her, but I've always wondered what the world today would be like if she'd succeeded in winning enough money to fund Babbage.

Actually; my 19th century antecedents were all of respectable, middle-class stock; shop-keepers, publicans and such, thank-you-very-much.

Is this steampunk? It just looks like a contemporary setting to me.

Steampunk finishes a respectable third to cyberpunk and dieselpunk.

Easy there, Tanaka.

Not even a fan of these genres, but Im think steampunk still finishes ahead of dieselpunk t.b.h.

>motorcycle
>panzer turret

That's dieselpunk.

>>you'll never live in an alternate timeline that's forever stuck in steampunk victorian age
Dude I love zeppelins, but I wouldn't wanna live in the Victorian age - steampunk or not - even if I was royalty.

>all that rust
I know it's going for a "lived in" feel, but that's just a shameful level of disrepair. Those vessels look all the paint was blasted off by a fire-hose of excrement and then dried in the sun before being returned to service.

>Americucks
The Japanese are as guilty of this as the Americans, and the British to a lesser extent.

>Veeky Forums seems to hate steampunk for reasons that are either poorly explained or deeply stupid, but I think it's really just a few people.

The problem was the thread was originally on Veeky Forums, off topic shit isn't a good excuse for further off topic shit

Holy shit where is that from?

>get drafted into eternal WWI
>get evaporated by a Tesla-ray when automatons storm your trench, just like the last five generations of your ancestors
>die knowing that your son will be zapped in the trenches too one day

Almost correct.The sign between dieselpunk and atompunk should be a =.Surpersonic fighters are too sexy.
Still makes no sense.
So,it's argentinepunk then?
cubensis or tampanensis?
user,Schwerer Gustav is dieselpunk.

Yes. It's called Roman Bath and it's a Japanese manga.

Why can't muscular engineer girls be heroines? Most "engineer" heroines are just moeblob idols who happen to be natural geniuses at some desk-bound engineering job, like making tiny robots or programming.

>Why can't muscular engineer girls be heroines?
Because gender holes.

If the princess is a 6'3" amazon, jiu jitsu black belt with more muscles than the leading male, then is quite obviously she doesn't need help in being rescued.

>Still makes no sense.
I mean; the balloon has no helium/hydrogen in it, but rather some sort of anti-gravity generator which just happens to occupy the same place on the airship which a balloon would on a traditional lighter-than-air vehicle.

>born too late to get on airships
>born too early to get on spaceships and bang alien babes

>heroines
>quite obviously she doesn't need help in being rescued.
the one doing the rescuing, not the one being rescued.
>with more muscles than the leading male
no leading male, see
>heroines

Fuck if I know, but it's rad as shit

Look closer - I thought that too, but there's a big steam engine behind it.
Railway guns (though ofc nothing like that scale, but hey, that's almost never an issue in these things) were used in the ACW and shipped to (but not used) one of the Boer wars, so there's precedent

>steampunk
>future
Earth would have turned to Venus before the 21st century

There was actually a semi-recent cartoon movie set in an alternate timeline where coal alternatives are never found and things get so bad that there's war brewing with canada just to get their forests.

Also
>if you're smart about it
>humans
lol no

>we wuz strong n independent womyns n sheeeit
If the girls can do everything for herself, what is the point of the story?

Even Wonder Woman needs some men every now and then.

> Prussian
> Clearly French cuirassiers

Looks like Victorian cyberpunk to me.