If you discovered you were completely evil like Jack the Ripper and you were brainwashed into the person you are today...

If you discovered you were completely evil like Jack the Ripper and you were brainwashed into the person you are today, would you want to return to your original form?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=B8z06-W5G2U
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

It is too late to turn back. Nobody will forgive you. You either disappear, or continue.

No. Because that would be a type of death.

There was a B5 episode about this
youtube.com/watch?v=B8z06-W5G2U

If this was my punishment by some kind of official action, I guess I try to live out my life as a good person.

Otherwise, if I am well convinced this is true, I probably turn myself in. Justice has yet to be delivered for my crimes. Those families deserve closure, and I cant reasonably prioritize my own wellbeing when I dont even really exist. For all I know, I could relapse any time.

I personally would come back with a vengeance. Some one dared to mess with my head!? MY HEAD!? Ooooooh there will be hell to pay! I'd show them that they were fools to not have killed me when they had the chance, now after so long they've let their guard down. When I hit, I'll hit them hard and fast and leave everyone stumbling to get a grip before doing it again and again. HELL TO PAY I SAY!

Entire families will be massacred in their homes! Children on pikes in the living room! The whole shibang! EVIL WILL RETURN!

>would you want to return to your original form?
That would be completely idiotic.

Why would he wear a mask? that would make it super hard to lure prostitutes near.
>inb4 witnesses
He was good at what he was doing and never left any witnesses

As long as you are bound inside your own personal Matrix, you will never recognize the truth.

Free your mind, Neo.

>Why would he wear a mask
To people would care who he is.

I would be extremely indignant someone fucked with my mind, but murdering for the lulz is still retarded. I may track down whoever's responsible for answers or some violence if I still have a knack for it, but past that nothing.

yes, it is simply because I HATE the members of my community with a passion. and I assume if I were ripper like IE very good with knives and a almost complete psychopath/socio path then his abilitys would be useful.

>walking down the road, get ambushed as usual by fucking idiots I hate

>try and beat me up like usual

>knife meet throat, murder meet someone happy to see you

prowess is its own reward, the ability to use it is a blessing

>JacK
>Evil

Those prostitutes were asking for it

how so?

Yes.
Sociopathy gets you a freedom of choice.

>Jack the Ripper
>completely evil

what

>Darth_Revan.jpg

No, I have my memories as I'm now, I don't want to lose myself

Jack the Ripper was pretty evil user. If it was indeed a single person.

No. If it's a complete brainwashing, then that person is no longer who I am. Going back would almost be like committing suicide to bring back my dead father. There's some nobility to that idea, but it's still a bad deal especially if my "father" was an evil bastard.

If it's one of those shitty brainwashing jobs where the original person is basically still there under the surface but just compelled to act like the "new me", then I probably still wouldn't do it, but I'd at least make an attempt at some good old cost/benefit balancing. Is my old life even worth going back to?

Are there any story examples of this? It sounds like a very original idea and I had one that was a lot like this.

If I took it off would he die?

Knights of the Old Republic is basically built on this.

See The main 'twist' of the first KotOR game was basically you are the main villain but you were brainwashed during the intro of the game. Near the end you get the choice to stay good or fully embrace your past as a Sith lord.

There's also a comic book based on the same idea, but I forgot the name of the book.

Not particularly. I apparently used to be an asshole.

How was I brainwashed? By who? For what reason?

Depends on setting, certain fantasy settings might have something like a soul in which case "you" are more than just your personality and memories

Dr. Light from DC comics was a violent sex offender who had his mind magically re-wired by rogue Justice Leaguers to become a bumbling fool who couldn't even overcome children.

True story.

Forgot pic. This goof from the teen titans show raped people

I am aware of what happened and wait patiently.

Your guard has come down before and nothing happened. I want it to really hurt when I drive that knife in.

The person I was died the day I was brainwashed.
Me of the 'now' has absolutely nothing to do with me of 'then', besides me borrowing his body.

That said, I would try to find out more about the person whose body I'm borrowing.

Also, there is no such thing as 'completely evil'. An evil person still remains human - he has motives, desires and fears just like anyone else. To be 'completely evil' is to reject your human nature which is, frankly, a fool's errand.

What if you've been brainwashed in such a way that you aren't psychologically human and therefore capable of complete evil?

No, what? Of course not!

I'd be a little concerned there are people out there who can brainwash that effectively, sure, but why would I want to be a rampantly evil person?

I think the comic you're talking about is Bedlam by Nick Spencer. It was really good, but like many indie comics went on indefinite hiatus and hasn't had a new issue in years. In this case mostly because he started writing for Marvel.

Then human values do not apply to me and it is impossible for 'human me' to predict the behaviour of 'inhuman me'.

Never mind, misread OP

Don't know but at least I would like to know what kind of sick fuck I was. With that kind of knowledge at least I would start to consider it but I do tend to prefer being a nobody in peace rather than a world-changing criminal.

To return to your true self.

No. Because I'm the person I am now and significantly altering my personality would be akin to death.

Frankly, I'd be surprised 'evil me' was so stupid as to basically commit suicide and leave me in their place.

>I think the comic you're talking about is Bedlam by Nick Spencer.
Yeah, that's the one.

It's also a big part of A Clockwork Orange, though in that one Alex is fully aware of how inhuman he used to be. I think OP's question is interesting because Clockwork had the message that *forcing* someone to make the right choice only makes them suffer, but if it's like OP said and I've been making morally good decisions as though they were my own will, it gets more complicated. I think it's a question of what parts of your personality get overwritten or adjusted by the brainwashing. If I thought the parts it changed were something essential to myself or simply overrode my innate decision-making, I'd want them to go back even if it meant becoming a terrible person, because then I'd at least have the ability to grow up and reach the better moral state on my own. If all the brainwashing did was give me new information or new awareness (basically, installing a sense of empathy rather than rigid duty to do well), I might just let it stand.

What if the only reason you make those morally good decisions is because on some base, primal level you are aware you were punished so severely for be a different way that you effectively "died" for it. Like on some base genetic or spiritual the taint of your death for being another way has left its mark?

It looks like its time for jack... TO LET ER RIP

So I was evil LIKE Jack the Ripper, but I wasn't him. Then, I got brainwashed into who I am today. That means 3 things.

1, That I had such skills that I could perform incredibly evils acts and by doing so forced a very high level response from those who care about such things.

2, That despite my skills, I was captured and brainwashed. This means that there are much bigger players than me around.

3, That despite all the horrible things I've done, I was not executed or put in jail for a life sentence. Together with being brainwashed to be a better person and allowing the chance for me to find out who I was, this strongly implies that they want to rehabilitate me as a person instead of pursuing traditional justice.

Based on all that, I will absorb my "past life's" experience, and focus on self-discovery and avoiding the ire of those who provided this golden opportunity to me.

No, I now have a sense of morality and know for certain that what I must have done was so bad that I was brainwashed into a more stable state. I would not want to go back because I know that would harm my fellow man, which is the last thing I ever want to do.

Oh god the feels

Exactly this. Why would I want to go back to being a crazy murderer?

I don't think I could even manage much animosity for my brainwashers. Perhaps they were justified in their actions. Certainly I am better off now, as a non-evil person.

At the very, very most, I could imagine using my past identity to bluff someone— to insinuate that I retained the skills I acquired in my murderous past, but chose not to use them. But I would only undertake that course of action under some sort of extreme circumstances.

Two problems.

1, you don't know what you were doing to get brainwashed. What if you were doing something that seems evil but is actually vital and no one else was willing to stain their hands with the blood needed to make it happen?

2, You don't have a sense of morality you came to on your own. You have whatever they want you to believe is mortality and is right.

You're assuming your own brain is inferior to people willing to kidnap and brainwash you.

>What if you were doing something that seems evil but is actually vital
That usually seems as an excuse to justify your own bad deeds. There is always more than one way to do things, you don't necessarily need to sacrifice the village orphans to do so.

So...I'm Goku?

If everyone stopped you from doing something 'vital' and disagrees with you on the fact that it needs to be done, then let them lay in it. Skip town, start a new life somewhere else, let these idiots solve the problem without you if that's all true.

>Government is making an army of child soldiers
>They infected with a virus that will manifest in 7 days and turn them all into raging psychopaths on par with space marines
>Your only option is to kill a thousand innocent children who were kidnapped from their parents and didn't do a single thing wrong in their entire lives.

You're staining your hands with the blood of children to prevent a larger blood bath. It doesn't matter if "everyone disagrees" because popularity is not a value to judge things by, nor do you know who or why you were mind fucked.

Oh fuck off, your cells are replaced at such a rate that you are replaced and die every day.

>Your only option
But that's a lie. That's not the only option, it's something you created because you lacked the will to strive for something better.

How about simply capturing them, study the virus and try to create a cure? If it's possible to create a virus such as this, it's also possible to kill it.

What the fuck are you on about?
Jack the ripper was even if a bit extreme a good man.
Thot patrolling is very serious buisness

You're ignoring the scenario because you don't like it as it proves you wrong. There are times when doing what is considered bad is the best thing. This is what becoming an adult makes you understand.

Ignoring? I just pointed the flaw on it. As it usually is on the 'we have no choice' excuse.

But if it's somehow the only choice, then this fall at that other user said: present that solution and let others also have a say on it. Don't be the sole judge of what is necessary or doesn't. How do you know your solution is far better than all others?

>Scenario writer says "We have no choice, X happens"
>Retard decides there should be another choice
>Scenario writer points out this is impossible, it will fail because there is only 1 choice.
>Retard tries to argue.

Idealists should be gassed. It's a form of retardation. And their argument is "muh majority opinion matters" to boot.

Too bad, it's their problem now.

>point out a sensible 3rd option
>nuh uh, that doesnt work because I say so. Your Paladin falls!

You must be a joy to game with

>you can only see 1 choice
>that means there is only 1 choice
>which means you can do anything you find necessary to do it because 'it's for the greater good', with no other opinions, sailsafes or at least acknowledgement of others
>if you disagree get gassed
Wow, talked like someone truly evil. Well done.

>Scenario makers are all-knowing
You sound like the kind of GM that gets really butthurt whenever the player ignores your railroading and comes up with an original solution for your shitty "moral dilemmas".

you were told what would happen. You decided to be arrogant and ignore it. Now everyone is fucked because you literally ignored what you were told and thought it was some hollywood movie where a red haired woman finds a cure at the last moment.

Also, why should you do anything in this scenario?

The government already kidnapped the children, so they're probably in a lab somewhere. Sure, you can go ahead and kill the children, but you can also just let them go rampage and destroy these fancy government labs.

Is killing the children the right thing to do when the only people who are going to die in the aftermath are the people who caused it in the first place? Is killing them with your own hands a better option than giving your proof to the press and making everyone aware of what the government did to these 1000 children, so you can actually have backup and avoid getting randomly mindfucked?

There are many paths here that don't involve making everyone assume you're a random serial killer.

yea no problem man, 1,000 space marines rampaging across society. It's better that way.

I swear I have Veeky Forums more every day. It's full of faggots who can't understand basic reasoning.

Told by whom? A retarded GM trying to force one of those "muh the needs of the many vs the needs of the few" scenarios for shitty drama.
The world isn't a fucking CYOA book, if your choice is A or B you are free to come up witha third option. Yeah, sometimes the drastic or cruel choice is the right one but you refuse to even consider anothee option from the get-go.

>you were told what would happen

They would turn into angry people on par with space marines physically

>You chose to ignore it

He said to capture them and work on a cure. Even if no cure is found, they've still been captured. Space marines aren't impossible to keep prisoner you know, especially lacking power armor.

*if your choices are

I doubt that you could get out of jail time with this excuse

>rampaging across society

You mean rampaging in this government facility before the government shows up with all of the missiles and blows them sky-high anyway, right?

Your set up is incredibly contrived since apparently you can't even settle on how this was all orchestrated.

>basic reasoning
>children are kidnapped by the government
>children are given supersoldier virus
>government apparently doesn't understand what this virus does, doesn't contain the children at all
>puts them back outside their lab where they can't observe them or keep them held for later training or anything
>children scatter to the wind instead of trying to call their parents
>nobody else in the entire country is able to piece together these clues of kidnapped children, secret labs, and supersoldier projects
>instead of any government agents tasked with finding these kids, it falls to you, who magically learned this

Yeah, it's definitely a lack of basic reasoning that is preventing people from following along with your idiotically contrived scenario.

I know what to do.

Find a supernatural monster hunter, woo her, screw her, turn evil, get killed, return, get brainwashed again, then go to Los Angeles and start a demon fighting detective agency.

Touched by an angel.

And then eventually 'die' ambiguously for a little while before fan demand brings you back-ish?

As someone who doesn't only self identify as my memories it would give me something to think about.
I wouldn't want to go "back" but I'd ask if the same method could be used to improve myself even more.
Unless being a usless fuck was part of the punishment.

I'd do it like my KOTOR run. Don't return to my evil ways, but use the skills built up while being Jack the Ripper or whatever. Man, that would be the best backstory for a surgeon

just b urself OP

It would be extremely painful.

First of all, the premise is "you were completely evil," which just doesn't leave a lot of room for moral ambiguity, by definition.

Second, they're children. It doesn't matter what you do to them, they've still got the mass, muscle and otherwise, of children. Also the strategic skills of children, which are not likely to be improved by psychopathy. Seven days isn't enough to improve their muscle mass, arm them, or provide them with any weapons training.

Raging or not, they aren't a threat.

Unless the presumption is that the children are holed up in an evil lab somewhere, ready to be armed and released... but in that case, they're still morons with no training, and you could just prevent them from being released, which is almost certainly less laborious than slaightering them all.

No, because my morals wouldn't allow it. I may be a borderline misanthrope at times, but I have no desire to hurt anybody.

That's a big knife

Depends?

If I had a loyal and cute/hot female second in command who was looking for me this entire time so that we may complete my plot to rule the world and King and Queen, the sure. Not like I'm doing much in the way of anything constructive right now anyways.

Was a self-brainwashed psychopathic mass murderer trying to start a new life, and potentially avoid going to jail for several life times? Probably not, since that would completely ruin old me's plans and while the life is boring, I'm well off enough that I don't really want to throw it all away just to risk jail.