EDH/Commander General /edhg/

RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

CARD SEARCH

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info/

>Thread Question
Can you aggro at your table, /edhg/? If so, how do you crush your enemies (and all that other good stuff)?

Other urls found in this thread:

discord.gg/UE9Vqzu
magic.wizards.com/en/products/card-set-archive/commander-2014/sworn-to-darkness
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/21-07-17-Byl-general-tazri/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/jaradmazirek-casual-commander/
imgur.com/gallery/gOoRw
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>Can you aggro at your table, /edhg/? If so, how do you crush your enemies (and all that other good stuff)?
No
agro doesnt work though sticking zergo and following with MLD usually does the trick

Haha, OP, you seemed to have forgotten the Discord info. Here it is:

Veeky Forums EDH General Discord
discord.gg/UE9Vqzu

Don't beat yourself up about it though. Just try to be less forgetful next time.

the hero we needed
not the hero we deserved

I did say half dozen, man. There's not a lot but still more than lots of other creature types.

>Can you aggro at your table, /edhg/? If so, how do you crush your enemies (and all that other good stuff)?
Aggro doesn't work in EDH as long as you have a strict "nuthin personal" rule. The whole point of aggro is to go under somebody's game plan and kill them or severely hurt them, and your rational for doing so is based on what player is going to end up being the biggest obstacle for you to win the game.

The problem is that in some tables, aggro either doesn't work, or people take it personally when they are focused hard. This leads to people playing WAY too mercifully, and that's where the belief that aggro doesn't work in edh comes from. If you play a bunch of dudes and swing without a goal, you end up dealing 10 or so damage three times to the other players, and then end up in the midgame with a bad creature deck. If you aren't going to go after threats like an attack dog, than what is the advantage of aggro?

In my group I've been pushing for a soft rule that we are not going to disproportionately scorn somebody for playing to their deck's strengths, and that we accept aggro without making grudges.

redpill me on skullclamp. just how GOOD is it? i dont plan on having my mana dorks dying and when they do it's game finishing with craterrhoof behemoth and stampedes etc.
also, i dont really have much of token generators
currently i swapped it out for an extra land since my land count was pretty low
no i haven't played the deck before and yes im new

Mostly I seem to do the crushing by playing a nonland card or two and opponent gets absolutely shafted because they're too dumb to run removal. Last time I had a Mayael player doing nothing but play lands, since I played T1 Phyrexian Reclamation and had Ayli and Preacher out pretty early. I sacced his plant token first he gave me, then Mayael in response of him using Polukranos' monstrosity trigger on Mayael and Preacher and then Polukranos.
He refused to play anything even after I stopped recurring Preacher after the 2nd killing of it.
After the game he left the table, refusing to play anymore, after he talked about having power 9 on a vault for some reason. No one was impressed by his statement and he went by other table to watch other people do trading.

I have never met anyone who played Mayael and wasn't a complete retard, what's with that?

>redpill me on skullclamp. just how GOOD is it?
colorless 1 drop phyrexian arena good
granted thats not the best example but its that good turns dorks into cards
turns tokens into cards
eats hate
costs one so it can be sun titan'd and trinket mage'd

tfw turn one lotus petal dark ritual mana vault sire of insanity

It's fucking stupidly broken but no you can't just stick it any random deck, you want tokens

As far as elves go, it should be very good in elves. I get that you don't want to be sacrificing mana sources, but if you have enough small elves in your deck you'll be happy to sac 1 and draw 2 more.

It's broken enough that anyone not completely into and relatively new person has been dumbfounded by it and asked that "what the fuck, this shit isn't banned?"

That's an interesting Gentelmen's agreement, I might consider adopting it as something to suggest for my own group.

Don't get mad at the combo player for comboing off.
Don't get mad at the aggro player for swinging out.
Don't get mad at the control player for wiping the board.
You might as well get mad at leaves falling -- it's just in their nature.

Subset of "Be excellent to each other and it's just a game you really should relax"

That siad, I don't see why, if aggro (or anyone else) is coming for my throat, I shouldn't protect said throat with all the force I can muster. In game retribution is fine.

I know this feel
which is why yidris "hidden commander sire of insanity" was asked politely but firmly to be retired

Depending on the deck, skullclamp ranges from "Good, lets you get a couple cards when your creatures die" to "Instant win".

>tfw opponent still gets a land drop and StoPing sire
Anyway, there's nothing as satisfying as Missteping someone's T1 Sol Ring. Except maybe playing your own directly afterwards.

I never liked combo being a pillar over midrange.

But I'm like the only one not running two card combos in my meta now. They all run it "as back up".

non-whiny-little-faggot-about-a-url-edition

I would personally discourage combo simply because combo invalidates every strategy that isn't storm or stax, and you can't live for very long in the goldilocks zone of the combo player just not having a tuned enough deck to just go off consistently. Aggro needs combo to be reined in to be a viable option.

>Don't get mad at the combo player for comboing off
How about one for Combo player should not be surprised that nobody wants to play against his infinite combo deck he built after we specifically told him nobody would ever enjoy playing against it

the majority of that thread is someone being bad at spoiling and an autist getting mad at him for it

reported :laughingcrying:

thanks anons. i know it's a good card but i wasn't sure if it's an auto include or not
i do plan on running sun titan, and the token generator i have is freyalise, so yeah it can do work for my deck

i plan on buying it either way, i'll have to test out how the deck runs with and without it and see if there's anything else i can cut if i do need the land

>But I'm like the only one not running two card combos in my meta now. They all run it "as back up".

This shit annoys me. I want to play a game of magic where everybody is at least sort of trying, not a game of wait and see what turn you feel like doing the combo. At best, this means we all have to sit down for another hour after we are already basically dead because the combo player wants to pretend that the game isn't over whenever he feels like it, at worst it's a player acting like a toddler that's been grounded from his favorite toy and responds by hiding it somewhere instead of behaving.

>no discord link

Come here guys, this is the official one.

open your eyes user

There are some other Elf cards that are good with skullclamp, dwynen's elite, hunting triad, elvish promenade, and especially lys Alana huntmaster

Also wirewood hivemaster and Rhys the redeemed

for sure, those are good together. maybe it'll be more geared towards tokens at a later stage

That goes for any deck that's radically higher tier/more tuned than the rest of the playgroup.

I've built fucking casual combo, It's janky, a little chaotic, and engages with the field in partial combo/misfire mode until the rube goldberg is finally assembled. Riku Great Snake Mistake is fun, and while it's not "LOL 2 card infinite" it's still arch-typically combo.

>2 generals open because of a childish dispute about a fucking link

This is how conflicts are resolved get used to it faggot

2 generals open because OPs work fast and nearly simultaneous, I think.

They stay open because of a childish dispute about a fucking link.. The funniest part is both sides calling the other whiny little bitches about something that "doesn't matter" or is "Just a url". If you could bottle this lack of self-awareness you could make a fortune.

I actually cant stand being the spike in my playgroup

>trying neheb out, pretty casual list
>playgroup holds grudges based on things from games prior, things that happened earlier in the week/day, etc.
>literally cant stick anything to the board without it being targeted or destroyed
>zombie player gets to set up yard and build huge board, atraxa player goes nuts with card draw, another player sets up an infinite
>this all goes unpunished

holy fuck

Which Neheb, user?

Keep a tally of game results. Then when someone decides you're the threat present the evidence that proves you're not. Unless they're right, of course.

shit thats not even that spikey but yeah I know what you mean
a lot of us even in /CrawwurmGen/ have just learned to revel in being the archenemy
I mean my selvala stax list isnt even close to being competitive but it draws the ire of the entire table in the 3 playgroups I regularly play in
it actually really helps playing 3v1 in tuning your decks mine have certainly gotten better

I just find it sad, but what can you do?
I just hope that the this doesn't become a trend.

Casual combo is fine, but everyone gets upset if you call anything that doesn't immediately win you the game combo. In MtG.

Friendly reminder to everyone upset that Demon tribal isn't a thing in C17: Demons already got a tribal deck in C14.

magic.wizards.com/en/products/card-set-archive/commander-2014/sworn-to-darkness

wait who is upset about this?

Even Kalia is more demon tribal.

bu-but that deck doesn't really have demon tribal elements user. It's swamps-matter with morbid, tokens, and reanimation.

If you really wanted to argue that, you would say that kaalia was already 1/3 of a demon tribal deck, but kaalia out of the box was absolute ass and basically had no tribal synergies except the commander.

I think you're been spared from a terrible fate. In both of my LGS's, I get targeted regardless of which deck I play, which usually pushes me to tune even the jank decks I play and discard all the fun pet cards I'd like to play.
I have only one consistent and somewhat powerful deck, but I seem to be archenemy, because I run removal among other things.

Worst of all, the retards never learn from their mistakes, but instead think that I have magic powers or I stack my deck, because they don't realize the power of tutors and they think it's good idea to take the bait every time from Tempt with Discovery.
I swear, I have never been angry at any card besides that one. It's the ultimate stamp that gives a perfect clarification of who's a retard and who has a semblance of sense.

there are people who care when we get relevant demon cards printed constantly anyway?

So I'm working on a Nicol Bolas Budget commander deck. The whole purpose of it is hand manipulation and creature control like the great Bolas would do.

Any cool cards I haven't heard of yet? I've been trying to get my hands on Liliana's Caress but I can't find it anywhere.

>think that I have magic powers or I stack my deck
i play into this

just start quoting yu gi oh if they are going to be that way

You might want to consider Mindclaw Shaman to play to play with other people's hands.

I'm more upset that we're getting meme tribal in the form of Clerics and Cats. I know the decks will make some people really excited and happy, but I just want abzan elves or humans, or even fucking soldiers.
I'm happy for the people who are going to enjoy the decks and make jank tribal work, but I was really hoping for much more standard and well loved tribes to get better commanders. But I get that doing that wouldn't be as exciting.

I just find it somewhat amusing whenever I use Demonic Tutor to find a wincon, they always seem to assume that I topdecked it. It takes insane mental gymnastics, since they are aware of the fact that I tutored a card.
But afterall, this is same group where I foil plans of Mayael with a Pithing Needle and people try to Disenchant my Aura of Silence instead of my Necropotence, which I could kind of understand, if the dude was playing something else than creatures, but it had literally no effect on his play, aside from minor inconvenience of needing to pay 3 mana from your Sol Ring

>meme tribal
>clerics
cease your faggotry, its a tribe with historical tribal synergy

>Historical
Yeah, in the same set as fucking wizard tribal, and a set based entirely around creatures.
it was a meme then and it's a meme now. Just because there is the cat lord or minotaur lord doesn't mean that the tribes aren't memes.

You know that Cleric is just one of the options people have thought of for the last deck, right? There are just as many, if not more, that think it's going to be Rogue, for example

>meme meme meme meme meme meme meme meme meme meme
>am I cool yet guys

>Yeah, in the same set as fucking wizard tribal
ill take it as you agreeing with me

Reminder that Clerics are still very unlikely.

That's exactly how I chose this thread.

That's even worse.

what were you hoping for tfw no spirit tribal

>people are mad about a thing they made up in their own heads
I'm furious that wizards decided to permanently remove basic lands from the game starting with Ixalan. They just want to force everybody to spend more money on non-basics because they are greedy.

how DARE they

>wizards decided to permanently remove basic lands
what is this hysteria?

Fuck wizards for putting full art basics in all sets from now on starting with Ixalan, now they're not special anymore.

I played a control/hand-manip Crosis the Purger deck for a while that ran Shared Fate to get everybody drawing everyone from else's deck (if your playgroup has enough overlapping colors).

The cards don't go to people's hands, but it's a mindfuck and really fun in casual that fits the theme; you can still play cards but you have to play other deck's cards

basic lands haven't been spoiled for Ixalan yet, there for they must have been removed

>build a deck by avoiding expensive staples
>use spicy dollar rares and meme cards
>win games against goodstuff decks all the same

best feeling

this is the best feel and the only reason I keep playing
>pull out 5c deck
>casts ruination on turn 5
>turns out your deck has all basics
heh and the deck is only worth like 70 bucks

post cheap sekrit techs that wreck expensive cards
>stealing planeswalkers with pic related to ult them
Best feeling

i've recently just started playing tons of clone and steal cards. they're great since they are just as powerful as your group, and no one can complain that you're playing unfair cards

What if the cleric/rogues/wizards/faggots are monoB instead of UB, WB, UWB, UBR or whatever everyone is sperging about?

is there any particular way you keep track of the cards you're not using? i stuffed everything in a trade binder separate from standard, but my collection has expanded so much since i was starting out that i think i need a new binder specifically for edh. all commons and uncommons that don't look useful or interesting are kept in a box.

Would you rather get another dull combat based Boros commander with some kind of soldier tribal sprinkled in just because there has to be a tribe?

This is my favorite sekrit tech to wreck expensive decks. Don't tell anyone about it. ;)

Sauce?

God protean hulk is dumb.
Ive pulled umpteen wins out of my ass with that card fucking hell someone ban it.
Also ive spent a bit too much this week on coloured cardboard someone please stop me.

> ive spent a bit too much this week on coloured cardboard
Haven't we all

>orderstatus
>kassamyynti

What sorcery is this?

Someone got Ixalan basics in an HOU box, so this isn't even true.

How the hell did wizard manage to fuck up so badly?
This is some shit on the level of "instructions unclear, got my dick stuck in the ceiling fan"

Lol, what?
How did that happen?

It roughly means "bought at the counter".
The rest i ordered online but that one i was at the store and bought a drink and a deckbox.

>playing rashmi goofy instants on xmage
>uril guy complains the whole game about everything
>he finally gets out his 10/10 double striker uril
>put constant mists on isochron against him
>he calls me a dickhead blue player and that he's going to bring out his "passive aggressive deck" against me the next time he sees me
>ragequits

who knew a 2-mana artifact could be such an insurmountable barrier to a deck with access to 3 colors worth of removal

my guess is that user's a finn

Correct : ^)
I bought some staples, and most of the shocklands and fetchlands i was missing.
Also finished my allies deck now, pls r8.
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/21-07-17-Byl-general-tazri/
Also finished my jarad/mazirek. I feel it relies too much on birthing pod though finding it isnt too hard. Generally can get enough value and/or go infinite with 2-4 activations of pod.
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/jaradmazirek-casual-commander/

Isochron + silence is a good way to make someone rage quit

What arrived in your mailbox today, Veeky Forums?

It was a good day

imgur.com/gallery/gOoRw

Vampires are in, unsurprisingly. So what's the 4th one? it's a little ambiguous but I'm guessing Clerics.

>1/4th of the creatures are Demons
>Demon Tribal

What are the forests from

Rouges
Mercenaries

Shocks, fetches, woodfall primus, damnation, allies, confluence, city of brass, cavern of souls, mana echoes, food chain, aura shards.
Ill post a picture later mostly because i want to see whether i can fit it all in one picture or not

The sad part is they're probably going to do this at some point.

selesnya guild best guild

What if everyone is overanalyzing the fourth 2017 tribe and it's just Humans?

that would be very lame

>fuck up so badly

Of course you are discounting the fact that these may be intentional. Yes thats what they are, intentionally seeding boosters with the wrong lands to build up hype.

t. Maro on damage control

>rashmi deck
>32 instants
>the only counterspells steal the spell or do something similarly timmyesque
>the only wincon is casting Eternal Dominion and copying it
>usually just lose the game by casting it since i lose access to all my control shit

am i playing simic right

Since the whole rare sheet was leaked I guess the basic lands is all they have left.