Flames of War General: "Is Battlefront Revamping /fowg/, Because this Place is a Desert" Edition

Flames of War SCANS database:
mediafire.com/?8ciamhs8husms
---Includes our Late War Leviathan rules!
Official Flames of War Free Briefings:
flamesofwar.com/Default.aspx?tabid=108

Current Veeky Forums fan projects - Noob Guide &FAQ, and a Podcast
drive.google.com/open?id=1eD3nkA51ddl3nmltKg0zsnfrOUhlWgcc4h5aqz-RFqw
Quick Guide on all present FOW Books:
wargames-romania.ro/wordpress/wargames/flames-of-war/flames-of-war-starting-player-guide-the-books/

Archive of all known Panzer Tracts PDFs: mediafire.com/folder/nyvobnlg12hoz/Panzer_Tracts

WWII Osprey's, Other Wargames, and Reference Books
mediafire.com/folder/z8a13ampzzs88/World_War_Two
and, for Vietnam.
mediafire.com/folder/z8i8t83bysdwz/Vietnam_War

--Guybrarian Notes:
docs.google.com/document/d/1eD3nkA51ddl3nmltKg0zsnfrOUhlWgcc4h5aqz-RFqw/edit?usp=sharing

400gb.com/u/1883935

Panzerfunk, the /fowg/ podcast.
panzerfunk.podbean.com/
Panzerfunk questions: docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeOBxEJbNzS_Ec7I76zQmCU9P7o0C5bAgcXriKQ4bOWBp4QkA/viewform

vimeo.com/128373915

flamesofwar.com/Portals/0/Documents/Briefings/CariusNarva.pdf

flamesofwar.com/hobby.aspx?art_id=1949 the Azul Division: no longer linkable off the main page

Which army do you play the most?
strawpoll.me/4631475

What actual country are you from?
strawpoll.me/4896764

/fowg/ Approved Media list. Add your favourites!
docs.google.com/document/d/1Tthy5-Au4ZF3zuojHiP53Y6-A0p8iuI6xSdMNre0cbw/edit#heading=h.g7ruxmniskpg

docs.google.com/document/d/1JWmbvVANUraO9ILWJZduRgiI9w4ZC3ytNUQE8rK7Xrw/edit?usp=sharing an "i want to get a starter set" for late war.

Do you play TANKS? what is the local scene / meta like? (multi)
strawpoll.me/12127794/r

/fowg/ Discord
discord.gg/BfbxDSp

COMING SOON: TTS Module for FoW. See Discord for details.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=C1Z6L31E0ZA&feature=youtu.be
youtube.com/watch?v=1mG3BvkT6YQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Anyone know where I can find Battlegroup datacard scans?

Given that this place is joining the facebook group in quietly whimpering into irrelevance, can we just admit that 4th edition's a complete disaster nobody wanted and is killing the game?

Have a rare Phil

I think it'd be pretty easy to point up West German Air Landing. I say go for it, user. I'd let you play with it.

I really want to see the 101st for the Americans and real soviet airborne in TY.

Well, did some more work on my pet project. Changes:
>Increased points for MGs on ARVs
>Churchill OP is now a replacement option for a Sherman OP if you have any Churchills
>Split cruiser tank upgrades RV/CT section
>Added rules for Mk I Crusader AA (one 40mm Bofors instead of twin 20mms)
>Added LCT(R) naval arty support, large template but less raw stats.
>Ram Badgers had their front armor decreased to 5, points reduced a bit to compensate.
>Removed points increase for FA 6 on Ram Kangaroos in points/rules changes section
>Added Airlanding Polstens for lists outside the AAR in Market Garden, since I found photographic evidence they were deployed in Varsity and records showing they were in the Overlord loading.
>Made the Wasp IIC MG a AA MG
>Under optional rules, made all additional UC hull MGs into AA MGs since they were mounted for that
>Cleaned up AVRE attachments, made Bullshorn not strictly better than Crabs for mine clearing and more realistic (may change in future for ease of play)
>Added note to "Exceptional HE" that if using it you should also apply it to similar guns for other nations
>Added Water Buffalo MG points changes, since the existing points charge you 15 points per buffalo for an absurdly minor change in capability.

I'd be half tempted to add something about PIATs being 6" range but being able to shot and remain GtG due to lack of a smoke trail, but that's maybe getting too autistic for even this project.

Note, this is entirely for LW V3, I do not have things changed over for V4, and some of the rules may be unbalanced in earlier periods.

I would disagree that the Eighty Eight had anywhere near the same amount of HE in it's shells as the British's 95mm. Document still looks fabulous and there's a lot of really good ideas and research done.

I figured an 8.8 shooting Flak shells at infantry would have a similar effect to the 25pdr/95mm. But I guess I'd need to specify which 8.8 I was talking about for that to make sense.

I don't think they exist.

Must be that all the cool "new" players chat elsewhere.

Cheers user, some interesting ideas.

>cool players chat elsewhere.

i'd say Discord has given us a hit.
that, and Veeky Forums isn't as friendly as the crossboarders are thinking.

>Must be that all the cool "new" players chat elsewhere.
Or they just don't exist since typical gamers don't want to play a mediocre, messy IGOUGO game with nazis and crusty grognards don't want to play a watered down ruleset of historical nonsense, meaning 4th has created a dead edition that nobody cares about getting into while alienating almost all of it's existing playerbase?

Nah, you're right, Veeky Forums's definitely being beaten by shit skype.

>shit skype
So... Skype?

Just because you say it's a dead game doesn't make it any truer.

The thread died with 50 posts to go because nobody's talking about this dead game nobody is interested in. This thread's only staying up because people are going to argue 'til they're blue in the face that the total lack of any kind of market for 4th doesn't mean it's a failure.

DIscord.

Yeah. I may try to do some reconfiguring of some discord channels so that more stuff gets routed onto here. I still think there is room for both platforms.

See picture.

I think if battlefront remove their heads from their asses and change a few of the most glaring issues with V4, we might be able to salvage it. In the interim I am still going to be playing it over V3, but with tank centric forces.

I am having better luck with Team Yankee. Game's not perfect, but if you and your opponent bring at least somewhat balanced lists, you can have a lot of fun. There's a little more to the lists than with MW currently.

Maybe we are in a bit of a valley, but I think there is still fun to be had for the meantime.

>DIscord.
Skype is really shit. Discord isn't worse than it, because it's really hard to be worse than that shitshow.

>I think if battlefront remove their heads from their asses and change a few of the most glaring issues with V4, we might be able to salvage it.
ahahahahahahahahahaha

Like they would. Most of the issues are from TY, and they didn't fix them after people complained there. They've decided they are right and everyone else is doing it wrong, and damn the statistics and feedback that say otherwise.

so, i see we need some blood.

who wants a Guppie update?
like, their next opponent in the next season, and the chance to play non-WoT GuP on /v/?

youtube.com/watch?v=C1Z6L31E0ZA&feature=youtu.be

it's the frenchies...they get to fight the vichy frenchies!

>I think if battlefront remove their heads from their asses and change a few of the most glaring issues with V4

i'd really, really be up for a serious V4.2 update.....begfore it becomes 4.5

Fuck yeah, more cute girls in panzers!
>PS4
Unless there's a PC version, fucking dropped.

>PS4
i didn't say it was great, i said it was not WoT

things we know:
>Goliaths in Action
>flak balloons
.....both old news.
>BC uses Souma tanks
>There are 2 new delinquent characters who live in squalor...somewhere on Oarai.

a new tank team that uses a 2 person tank? what tanks only use 2 crew?

Who /GREAT WAR/ Here?

Was thinking about getting into it, what is the general scene like, especially in QLD?.

War Thunder exists and is not WoT. And is for PS4 and PC. I'm just sayin'.

The scene is currently desolate like no man's land.
It's just another alternate rule set that BF made, briefly supported, and then left in a ditch.

Just like my precious Vietnam.

Of 5 games lines (FoW, TY, ToD, FoaN, GW), 3 of them are dead, and unless TY has releases planned beyond Stripes it might die too. So why doesn't BF get the same flak that Spartan does for making games and then not supporting them?

We'll never see RC Italians or CC A-H and never ever see a cheers non soviet Russia.

ToD and FoaN may get some love when they are redone for the TY ruleset, but if they don't fix the issue with the gooks/arabs being NPC factions, no one will be playing.

Rumors from Historicon have been hinting at Pete having a discussion with players. Things mentioned were morale and aircraft possibly getting a wave off mechanic. It's a start, but if BF are willing to change a few things, maybe we can get a few more changes.

>Implying Phil's going to let player feedback make changes to his precious V4 baby

>saw Dunkirk
>want to play EW
>met Soviet
Anyway it was an EW game...

Brits vs. Soviets? RIP England.

He might have been running Germans. Then again, Blitzkrieg germans or blitkrieg brits, it would be the difference between assrape or assrape without lube against certain soviet lists.

Yeah, in V3 Germans had CAS Stukas to help, but in V4 they are left with what few 88s they get. Brits pretty much have nothing that can even bail a KV-1, so their best bet is to run infantry tanks and just pretend the KV-1 isn't there.

/NVA/
youtube.com/watch?v=1mG3BvkT6YQ

Blitzkrieg is better for running The Great War than the actual Great War book.

How do you think?

i would Great War if i could run out and try to destabilize the enemy artie park.
for a WWI game, it is seriously lacking in artillery
seriously...

don't forget TANKS

TY has more releases coming, it's not gonna die...

>TY has more releases coming, it's not gonna die...
The question is whether or not the complete atlas of belgian tanks is going to provoke the same interest as more americans. Judging from statements from BF, it also seems like the warsaw pact is basically "complete", which doesn't bode well for avoiding "The Good Guys vs Mooks" syndrome like AIW and 'nam had.

>Of 5 games lines (FoW, TY, ToD, FoaN, GW), 3 of them are dead,

Vietnam always felt to me like it was an attempt to make a square peg fit into a round hole. The iconic combat patrols into the jungle, doesn't work in FoW's 15mm Company-Level scale. It's more appropriate for a 28mm Platoon-Level scale.

Fate of a Nation more closely fits the gameplay that FoW does well, Company-Level mass combat. It also acted a bit like a prototype of Team Yankee, introducing some more modern combat elements. But it suffered from spammy bad guys, and from the Arab-Israeli wars being unknown to most non-grognard gamers.

And Great War? That was pretty much just Battlefront engaging in a masturbatory circle jerk of a prestige project. Something they did for the 100 year anniversary because they wanted to. Because they felt they needed to. But again, it lacked the appeal to non-historical gamers.

>and unless TY has releases planned beyond Stripes it might die too.

They've produced lists and miniatures for all the major nations. They can probably add some additional units over time, but unless they advance the timeline, we're pretty much set as far as having toys to play with and the rules to use them.

>So why doesn't BF get the same flak that Spartan does for making games and then not supporting them?

There are people genuinely upset about it.

As far as I can figure out 'Nam, FoaN, and Great War were all meant to be limited releases initially that gained some measure of interest. But nowhere near as much as any of the eras from World War II. Causing them to essentially become dead games with small but devoted player bases.

Nam suffered from the US and it's allies having all the cool toys, and the same can be said of the Israelis in FoaN.

Great War I'm not entirely sure about why it never took off. Quite literally nobody in my area even purchased anything for it. The starter boxes sat on a shelf gathering dust.

>Great War I'm not entirely sure about why it never took off. Quite literally nobody in my area even purchased anything for it. The starter boxes sat on a shelf gathering dust.
The closest our shop has come to selling any of it is a local German player is considering getting a pair of Mark Vs for the defense of Berlin.

>The iconic combat patrols into the jungle, doesn't work in FoW's 15mm Company-Level scale.

Completely disagree. The standard tactically independent formation for regular infantry was the company. The main issue with ToD is the same as FoaN: playing the mook faction gets boring quick. The second issue was they did a terrible job of representing guerilla warfare.

Am I supposed to just guestimate where the turret stowage boxes go on the PSC T-55AM?

>The main issue with ToD is the same as FoaN: playing the mook faction gets boring quick.

Agreed. The Vietnamese and the Arabs are Mook-Level above and beyond what we see even with other horde factions.

>The second issue was they did a terrible job of representing guerilla warfare.

This too. Although I'm not 100% sure what could be done to improve that.

As for Company-Level working for 'Nam, I'll agree to disagree. Platoon-sized games seem far more "thematic" for lack of a better word. They more closely resemble what people think of as the typical combat scenario of the Vietnam war.

Granted, that could just be Hollywood History, but it's what most people think of when they think of 'Nam.

>Granted, that could just be Hollywood History, but it's what most people think of when they think of 'Nam.

It is. The way to tell if a Vietnam movie was written by someone with no clue is if it features a lone platoon of regular grunts.

Most of the fighting wasn't even in the jungle. Rice paddies and elephant grass are the terrain most troops fought over.

Fresh off the social media

I could go for some Priests in plastic. Assuming the crew is generic enough for use in Late War.

IIRC US crew gear didn't change visibly from Africa to Europe.

Yeah, BF would have to fuck up tremendously to fail that mark. Of course, this is BF, we won't know for certain until we see the contents of the box.

Can anyone tell of those are M4s or M4A1s? I think -A1s, but it would be nice to know for certain.

Look like rounded/cast-hull M4A1s...pity, I was hoping for plain M4s, and plastic M4A2s for the British, though the latter was unlikely (would have been good for US Marines and Soviets too though).

Plastic Priests...at least a version too late. M3 Stuarts we've already seen with the British, wonder if there will be an M5 kit? ARP looks like repackaged LW box but they were good: kinda pricey here though, 52 Euros?

>at least a version too late.

Meaning what? That it's the wrong model of Priest, or that it would have been more useful in V3?

No, I meant they would have sold loads of plastic Priest models in V2 or V3: now, not so much. Armoured Mortars are much better for the points in Late War. In (new) MW, it remains to be seen.

6-vehicle US Priest batteries? A thing of the past. 8-vehicle British Priest batteries? Same. Mortars are simply far better in LW, and until the points are fixed ("soon") that's unlikely to change.

I really want to get into GW but as other have said it seems too be hanging precariously so I'm waiting to see what happens. I don't actually think we have rules for V4 yet so you can't actually play it without the OOP V3 rulebook.

You're my hero. Someone get this man a DSO.

How much longer do we have to put up with no counters? The only ones I can find on eBay are absurdly priced.

PSC T55s turret looks too low, and its cheek armor looks too thin.

Counters for what?

If you're asking about the old dice and counter sets with unit specific insignia, those are long discontinued.

The proportions look ok to me.

Gorgeous little tenks. Those decals must have been hell to apply.

those are not mine but yea, the guy must be a fucking artist to make it so great on a 6mm scale

Looks okay to me, you always get some slight distortion on miniatures, sometimes it's just because it's an unusual angle.

>Nam suffered from the US and it's allies having all the cool toys,
>and the same can be said of the Israelis in FoaN.

hold it there,

JS-3's
T-34/85 spam for the cost of any other single platoon
Mig17
Those Integrated Infantry Fotification units
Those artie park Gods
AMX Sherms

they had some fun stuff in the Egyptian side. they just suck at 2+ to hit....

The Jordanians are pretty much Arabic Israelis w/o the point cost weight of rules, so you get them cheaper and they are just as effective. prove me wrong, new Jordan is good.

Other than PzIV's in 67' Syria is the real looser here.

also, i can post pics of my recent AIW mega-game...

awww yes.....

please, call it great war

>GW

Bit of a rules thing with V4 and hills:
How much needs to be hidden behind a hill to be concealed?

This came up at a local tournament with some tanks trying to go hull down on a ridge.

>they had some fun stuff in the Egyptian side. they just suck at 2+ to hit....
The problem is nobody wants to buy 9000 resin tanks to have a playable army. PSC probably made AIW more playable than anything else BF could've done with the rules.

Officially, 1/3, but honestly anyone who's insisting you can't hide a tank somewhere needs slapping, the ground scale's inexact and everyone knows what you're trying to do.

this. all of it.

BF made some playable fun with the UAR, but then, resin. you are correct sir: plastic was the way to go with mook armies the whole time. and they get the least love....

Yeah, when do we get new ones?

where do we have non-FoW evidence of Centurions in Egyptian Service, and which units did they serve in?

FOAN only has "they were in infantry armored batallions"

As far is I know, we don't.

It's been YEARS since they've stopped making those.

The game uses counters. That's pretty obvious. But they're not providing counters. Is anyone else making them? This seems really dumb.

Slow down and start over.

I think we might be talking about two entirely different things. The current token sets, and the old tins that included dice and tokens.

They still make tokens sets.

One for Desert Rats and one of Afrika Korps.

But the old tins, which had a much wider variety of themed sets to choose from, those have been out of production for several years now.

If you associate GW with a certain company then the issue is yours.

Is quite possibly the biggest name in gaming other than MTG or D&D.

Of course people are going to associate GW with that company before they associate it with Great War.

I find it always works best to talk about terrain before the game to clear things up.

Or to say as you're doing your move that you're placing them hull down on the hill.

thank you, sir!

...meanwhile.
reading up on the '67 war, it's got it's fair share of anecdotes

Agreed. Price point on a decent UAR army was what sent me away from the game.

i think you missed the post you intended.

PIATs shouldn't have any buffs against vehicles, but they should have similar rules to the LW Soviet faust teams. 4-6" range, bunker buster, matching firepower.

You'd see either an ad-hoc Seaforth style anti-tank platoon at Battalion level, or each company would have an extra couple of PIATs with the HQ.

Fun fact, both Canadian and NZ officers listed the PIAT as the 2nd or 3rd most effective weapon in post war surveys, after the Bren iirc. In both cases units had to learn to use the weapons properly after being forced to fight without tanks or arty for a time.

It appears that I did... That's what I get for not visiting image boards for a while.

So once Fighting First is out, Americans and Brits will be able to share formations right?

It depends on if they write it into the force organization chart.

The Germans at least have a spot on their Force Org that lists Italian allies.

Not sure if the Brits or the Yanks have the same thing in their Force Orgs.

In the chart in Desert Rats it's got a box that clearly says ALLIED SUPPORT: You may field one compulsory Unit from a US Formation as Support and one US Formation as an Allied Formation. So yes, but somehow I expect BF to screw it up and not give the Americans an option to use Brit units.

Just another day at the Battlefront forums.

Who is this delusional motherfucker?

NATO missile spam, especially British Milans are a serious threat to Pact tanks.

Fuckin' Kontakt-1 and Kontakt-5 is the shit against HEAT weapons, what fuck is wrong with them.

I think he's trying to say that Soviets aren't gonna see HEAT and so the missing ERA doesn't matter?

I think he forgot Brits exist?

Or worst Kraut Mlian Spam, or the up to Four ITVs you can bring as Burgerfuckers

They seem to think giving Russian tanks ERA would only add the ERA rule and not give an increase in Front Armour - which is calculated based on RHAE, regardless of the protection type.

good sir, the Limeys have the Krautenhunden beaten in terms of Missile Spam....

Most battlefront monis are kind of "chubby" and most of the times taller.

British Pax Cuntus Maximus List:

formation Alpha
1pt - - HQ w Lynx and SLR stand
5pts - 3 GMPG, 2 Milans, 1 Lt Mortar, 2 Lynx
11pts - 8 Milans, 3 Lynx

formation BBC
11pts - 8 Milans, 3 Lynx

formation Chad
11pts - 8 Milans, 3 Lynx

66 pts. 36 Milans.

12pts - 4 HELARM Lynx
12pts - 4 HELARM Lynx
10 pts 4x Harriers

100 pts, 36 Milans

you have to pay for 12 Lynx Boxes on top of it all, but then again, that is what rich douchebaggery is all about....

oh wait, you can take another Helo unit in support...

for 48 Milans at 88 pts!

> you can't count them for morale, but, so what?

It would though, BF have statted all the HEAT resistance kit as side only.>

Maybe I am wrong about size of turret itself, but its cheek armors have definitely wrong shape, and it makes me turret looks smaller.

>thinking it's 15mm
Those look great!
>realizing it's 6mm
I am seething with envy and inadequacy

This tbhfam

Me and my local group is loving the V4, it fixes a lot of things and cuts so much dross.
And sure, it has some problems.
But we just use V3 for the problematic things and it works just fine.
Y'all be exaggeratin

>Me and my local group is loving the V4, it fixes a lot of things and cuts so much dross.

Like what? The fact that mortars can devastate bunkers now?