Blue Rose General - Apparently, this is a thing now edition

Old thread hit the bump limit.

Blue Rose is an RPG that sets out to emulate fantasy in the style of authors like Mercedes Lackey and Tamora Pierce. The old edition introduced the True20 system, a modified d20 based on Mutants & Masterminds. The new editions uses the AGE system from the Dragon Age RPG. Neither system seems like an especially good fit.

From the end of the last thread, what other systems are there that might fit Blue Rose's setting and genre better than ones it came with?

Sorry if I did a bad job on this. Please forgive this newfag who has never started a general before.

Lamentations of the Flame Princess!

Seriously, Raggi was interested in buying Blue Rose.

...that combination sounds horrible/hilarious.

I am somewhat confused. I'm not overly familiar with James Raggi or his work, though from what I've heard of it, it's not very Blue-Rose-y.

If anybody's looking for an example of the game's crunch, I made a character for the second edition in the previous thread. You can see some of features and snags of the game starting here:

Oh god!
I would pay money for the Blue Rose universe seen through flame-tinted lenses.

More blue waffle than blue rose.

Amusing read, thanks. Seems to confirm the previously linked review's conclusion that the game tried to do some neat stuff but is pretty awful on the whole.

One day, I'll find a way to play Janet. I don't know how many games allow for playing a mopey ethnomusicologist who's a second-generation immigrant from a culture that doesn't the country she grew up in, but I really want to make that concept work now that I've come up with her. Also, it lets me incorporate my love of folk music into a PC.

You could probably make it work in CoC

It didn't even cross my mind, but that makes so much sense.

Raggi would probably do Blue Rose pretty well. As a publisher, his focus is mostly on extremely high quality. Also BR is kind of weird. Not in a HPL sense. Not in a gory sense. It's a differnt flavor lf weird but it is weird nonetheless and rather than smoothing it down to try and to mount the weird BR canvas onto the generic DAge frame, he would allow the weirdness of BR to run wild.

>Raggi would probably do Blue Rose pretty well. As a publisher, his focus is mostly on extremely high quality.
>his focus is mostly on extremely high quality.
>high quality

You must have some really shit taste.

That would have been brilliant. Raggi is super commited to the highest possible quality and has a unique vision.

>Of all sad words of tongue or pen, the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

>You must have some really shit taste.

Say what you will about the tone and style of Raggi's work, but the nooks he make are inevitably very well done. Good art, plenty of it, easy to use.

I have a few of his adventure modules and while I don't like his style (too much random death and shitty ideas) the books themselves are really well written.

All Green Robin should've done was use their other fantasy system, from ASoIaF. Like, what the fuck went through their minds?

>okay, we own two dedicated fantasy systems. One is hyperfocused on combat, with everything else taking a backseat to a balanced, tactical battle experience involving warriors, rogues and mages in a dungeon environment. The other is a highly flexible system meant for creating a variety of primarily courtly character and running long term social and strategic conflicts. We need to pick one for our new game, that will focus on a wide variety of courtly characters engaging in deep social conflicts...
>Clearly, we go with AGE.

Green Ronin are trying to make AGE the next big thing, like their own Pathfinder or Cypher System. This includes shoehorning it in where it does not belong.

Which is a fucking shame since Chronicle is so much more interesting and versatile. What I would give to see them putting some effort into a generic core version of it.

I might need to look into converting Blue Rose to Chronicle. I do have the ASOIAF RPG, at the very least.

>54450121
>54443589
>It is one of those books that get a lot of praise among fantasy readers, which made me wonder if I had read the same book as the fans had. The concept did have a lot more thought to it than standard fare magical realm, I will grant the author that, but the premise of a world where sexual slavery is a positive thing is hard to shake.

The world building is more interesting then most fantasy series. That doesn't sound like much but there's a really low bar to entry with the genre.

But the BDMS sex slavery thing probably shouldn't get as much as a free pass as it should. I mean it's one thing to just throw in your fetish, even Robert Jordan did that with his spankings, but it's another to literally make it a cornerstone of the world religion.

I really get the feeling Jacqueline Carey was typing the shit out one handed.

So yeah when it comes to questionable authorial views, Blue Rose definitely could do a lot worse I suppose?
>54451368
>54451330
>54451276
>54451398
>54451465
>54451465
>54451368
>54451522
Actually a big fan of the ASOIAF system. It has its flaws but I like the roll and keep the d6 system and how abilities and stats were basically the same thing.

Are used to run a regular session of my normies friends.

Since the TV show was fresh in everyone's mind they actually could be expected to remember who's who fairly easily. Which is more than I can say for most regular role-player. It was the bomb.

Jesus... Wow that's like if hasbro made my little pony RPG him gave it to those perverter at ninja division Who made tentacle Bento.

That could be really cool!

I'll need to get the magic supplement for inspiration for converting the arcana, but that is one cheap pdf. There are a few other mechanics I definitely have to convert over, like the Purifying Light talent.

I just realised something, thinking about Blue Rose's magic system. This game should not have classes. I'm fairly biased against class-based systems anyway, but I really don't think classes work at all for what Blue Rose is trying to do.

Absolutely. Given the setting's distinction of magic being commonplace to the point of ubiquity (IIRC about 1 in 10 people has some form of magic, and basic telepathy might even be slightly more common), with only seriously powerful wizards being rarer, I'd say it should be an option for every character straight from creation.

Maybe the classes could be redone into a looser kind of background system, like Life Paths in Burning Wheel.

You pick X number of backgrounds, each gives Y number of focuses (skills) and some basic input on what kind of character you are making. So instead of being limited by race and culture you get to pick what kind of character you want to play in addition to what culture and race you want.

These last two threads have been the best BR conversation I've ever seen online. Thank you, Veeky Forums. Thank you.

As far as systems go, I've had good vibes from True20, but otherwise I'm a little stumped. I find myself wondering if something like a downscaled Exalted might be good? Motes and charms and such seem like they'd reflect the setting's magic well, you know?

...No? Not even close?
Most magic in Blue Rose takes the form of low-key psychic abilities which a tenth of the population has. The rest is mostly elemental manipulation of various kinds, but is meant to be super flexible, not like Dragon-Blooded Charms. Then there's Sorcery, which bears next to no relation to Exalted's version of the term and focuses mostly on summoning Shadow beings, flesh and mind control.

So maybe what we're really looking for is a good magic system for BR and then building off of that outwards?

The flexible elemental manipulation to me calls to mind Ars Magica, and the summoning stuff says Shadowrun to me.

I'm actually tempted to use the Qualities system from ASOIAF, and just port the arcana Talents over to that, if I do convert to ASOIAF.

That seems the optimal solution to me as well.