Veeky Forums makes Reasonable Marines that don't ignore the lore

Other urls found in this thread:

warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Timeline_of_the_Warhammer_40,000_Universe
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Raptors do it well enough that any improvement basically makes them seem too good. Even now their only real downside is they get progressively more and more depressed, like a way less useful version of the Black Rage.

Reasonable in what way? Tactics, numbers, organization, all three?

One chapter of reasonable Marines could be the Marines of Relevancy.

The Relevants are a chapter which values assassination above all.

Understanding that most Xenos require leadership to avoid being mindless or collapsing (Necrons, Tau, Orks, and Nids), the Relevants attempt to remove leaders via shock tactics and then melt back to allow the guard to clear the opponents.

Relevants eschew tanks of all kinds for this reason, using heavy numbers of drop pods and gunships to deliver force to a position instead. Drop pods full of devastators and dreadnoughts, along with assault terminators, descend on a vital enemy leader from orbit. They focus on slaying the warlord and then clearing a safe landing site for extraction gunships which had been holding aerial control during the operation.

As soon as is safely possible they withdraw to orbit to seek the next target.

The standard grouping of Relevants is one dreadnought drop pod, three devastator drop pods, a squad of assault terminators and 1-2 extraction gunships.

FPBP

> Veeky Forums ignores the spirit of the lore to adhere to the literal minutiae of the lore

I dunno how far you'll get but I can almost guarantee you won't have fun going there

All attempts to make "reasonable marines" are fundamental misunderstandings of what the battlefield role of a Space Marine is.

They are meant to be seen. The enemy is meant to see their bullets bounce off their armor, and feel despair as they ceaslessly approach and then utterly destroy you without effort. Space Marines are more like light tanks than infantry.

Last I checked we still slap camo and hunter-killer optics on tanks.

This, desu.

Ultramarines are also pretty close if you tone down the codex worship a bit

The only thing I could think to improve would be them fielding their own IG regiments made up of chapter serfs to act in tandem with. Pretty sure that would make the Imperium shit bricks though, separation of powers and whatnot.

Way to latch on to one sentence and ignore the rest of the post

Chapters can have a pretty large swathe of serfs before they get called out on it. Ultramar's Navy might as well be commanded by them, though they also most likely man gun emplacements and ship weapons.

Seeing IG fielded side-by-side with Space Marines as their serfs might be an interesting idea for an army. Haven't seen it represented in lore or artwork at all, despite massive space battles being depicted and having seen dozens of emplaced weapons on the field. You'd think some serf would pop their head out the door and take a few potshots with their lasgun once and awhile.

I think in actual fluff, most of the time a Space Marine vessel is, like, five marines and just countless chapter serfs. People seriously underestimate the power of space marines in fluff. A handful of them is a planet-conquering force.

If you're that overwhelmingly powerful, what's the point of being a sneeki breeki?

But OP, Knights Inductor don't ignore the lore, they have a rich and fluffy backstory and history!

So Raven Guard?

Those seem like contradictory ideas.

I agree...

and all of you have good points! Let's roll on the Chapter Creation table and discard the results that make no sense.

Rolled 10 (1d10)

>Chapter Creation table
I'm down

>Why Was The Chapter Founded?

>Crusade - "We need people running around and hitting the Imperium's enemies. Found a Chapter!"

Instead of traditional camo, why not use something like Dazzle camo? It still does the 'Seen and fearless' thing they're supposed to do, but hides their silhouette and makes them more difficult to shoot.

Rolled 53 (1d100)

That sounds like a good compromise

...And we're from the 38th Millennium; anything relevant to our theme from then?

food for thought:
>warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Timeline_of_the_Warhammer_40,000_Universe
>The Waning (c. M38 - c. 750.M41)
>With the Imperium's military forces in every branch utterly exhausted by the Redemption Crusades, star system after star system fell to Ork invasion, Chaos insurgence or sheer rebellion. Anarchy throughout many sectors of the Imperium was rife during a dark period in Imperial history that is now called the Waning. Ever more star systems are turned over by the Administratum to direct rule by Space Marine Chapters to preserve stability as only the Astartes possessed the inviolable military strength required to restore Imperial control in the more lawless regions of the galaxy.

>Having purged more than 400 worlds within the Eye of Terror, the survivors of the Abyssal Crusade returned to Imperial space in 112.M38. Without pausing to claim the honours due for such a successful and protracted Crusade, Chapter Master Konvak Lann of the Vorpal Swords declares the now ancient Saint Basillius a false idol and adoration of him tantamount to betrayal. In less than a standard year, every known sepulchre and shrine dedicated to the false saint is destroyed. After his execution, his bones, along with countless relics, books of doctrine and thousands of living worshippers, are placed on a derelict bulk-freighter and launched directly into a nearby star.

>During the Grim Harvest in 666.M38, a great armada of misshapen Space Hulks drifts out of the Warp near Terra. Some of the twisted and fused starships can still be identified as transports carrying pilgrims from the Lost Crusade. The Inquisition works feverishly to cover up the fleet's existence and its cargo of mutant and daemon-possessed abominations.

AFAIK the brittish navy stopped using the "dazzle" stuff because it looked silly. They used to be lightish pink and yellow, same with warplanes. I'd guess tiger-striping is the closest serious-looking way to do it.

Rolled 92 (1d100)

what about marines that try to dazzle and disorient their enemies? Seems fluffy and reasonable. Flash grenades instead of frag grenades, jump packs for moving around constantly and erratically, plas/las weapons to make blinding lights?

>Who was the Chapter's Progenitor?

>91–94 Raven Guard

>raven guard
are we making raptors?

Of course we are. They're the only reasonable chapter.

>they get progressively more and more depressed

When will Raven Guard and their successors get Moritat units for 40K?

>they get progressively more and more depressed
Seems oddly familiar

Thatonescrubspicture.jpg

Sharks are most reasonable marines prove me wrong

>masters of shock and awe tactics
>target vital systems of the enemies defenses to make it safe for allies to engage in the pitched battle at an advantage
>severely reduce the morale of the enemy through terror inspiring acts

Well, Carcharodons put more emphasis on Infantry Warfare combined with stealth and berserker tactics (like sharks do when they hunt the prey, they sneak under the unsuspecting target and then swim full force towards it with jaws open).

>Reasonable
>Any faction
>Adhering to 40k lore

Alright, we've got Raven Guard that are focused on shinies. Somewhat fitting.

>When was the chapter founded?

Rolling.

>Raven Guard that are focused on shinies
I know people call the Blood Ravens magpies as a joke, but it seems kinda appropriate here.

in the options field, silly

fack

I wanna see some marines painted that way now

Rolled 14 (1d100)

rolling for:
>Gene-seed purity

Chapter demeanor we already know from OP, reasonable marines in some fluff-coherent sense.

Rolled 10 (1d10)

fuck i fucked up the dice while making fun of people for fucking up the dice

Rolled 4 (1d10)

>Flawed - Chapter's gene-seed is flawed and sets them apart from their progenitor - roll on Chapter Flaws table

>Chapter Flaws table

>Pride in the Colours - The Chapter hates doing anything that covers their livery, including wearing Deathwatch black.

NEVER COMPROMISE THE EFFECTIVENESS OF YOUR DAZZLE CAMO, MARINE! IT IS THE CORNERSTONE OF OUR TACTICAL STRATEGY! REMOVE THAT PURITY SEAL AT ONCE, IT MAKES IT EASIER TO TRACK YOUR MOVEMENT!

Actual camoflauge in real life is sort of dazzle camo in a sense anyways- the intention is to break up the shape of the human body by swapping light/dark areas and disturbing edges. Appropriate environmental patters are useful, but not much more than just solid appropriate colours (green for woods, white for snow, etc.) The main appeal is that at a distance it disrupts the human eye's innate ability to detect stuff that looks like it is alive, ESPECIALLY humans. If you are fighting things that aren't humans all the time, or things with magic/weird vision, that same kind of camo is either less useful or has to be VERY specifically designed to counter that type of optic processing. Bare in mind that this technique is really most useful at the sort of long engagement distances that marines just aren't made for- they're big armored walking shock troops who shine when they're standing right next to poor sods that need a glowing sword shoved into them. Camo isn't a high priority.