How many swords is a character allowed to have before it becomes anime bullshit?

How many swords is a character allowed to have before it becomes anime bullshit?

One

Two and a knife.

>using swords instead of magic

Four swords is the practical limit.

0, if the setting is already anime bullshit.

Otherwise, as many as the character needs.

Get out of here Goro

Someone post that one screen cap of the pathfinder build for unlimited blade works.

Alk (the creator of this thread) is a faggot :^)

what about a character that loves to collect swords, but uses only at a time to fight with?

They especially love ornate or fancy swords which have never seen combat, and take great care to keep these weapons pristine, leaving the fighting to their more mundane and ordinary swords.

Three swords is 100% anime bullshit, but four swords might not be.

The important part is HOW this person is using multiple swords.

Five

If regular swords, as many as he wants, provided that he only uses one at a time, 2 tops if they're one handed weapons.

If katanas, just one

This bastard...!!

If they don't invoke the swords

Well you need a dragonslayer sword, a goblinslayer sword, an orcbane sword, an anti-magic sword, a general powerful sword, a cursed sword. Depends what you are fighting. A true swordsman is never without the correct tool for the job. Maybe you just have a vault at your house full of swords that you swap out depending on where you are going.

Have something that's actually Veeky Forums

Floating swords is just anime bullshit period.

I love it.

Dancing swords are pretty common RPG material

What about those enchanted sword monsters that are floating scimitars

>117d100 HP
user please

Quiet, you. Have more from this series of splats.

>Ultimate weapons focus
>You never miss

Lolk

Have three weapon fighting. Sadly you cannot be like Mr Six Swords

An automatic gun that shoots swords. Not enough dakka, but in sword terms, pretty high on the mark.

fuck outta here gil

>fighting by juggling swords

I always liked the idea of playing a character who went full Unlimited Blade Works, but it's usually something a system just doesn't really accommodate in a way that I like. It also doesn't help that there's always at least one edgy anime character currently running at a given time with that exact power that I don't want people to associate with me in any way

>you become a sword

Do you have enough weapons in stock, King of Jobbers?

FRANKA FRANKA FRANKA

I agree

Punisher did that

I am pretty sure D&D has this too
And I love it too

How many swords can you afford?

Half your number of limbs plus seven.

As many as they want.

Incorrect. The answer is 0.

I get the feeling he's extremely embarrassed by it and wants to redo it, but I like this sort of shit so much more than anything Nasu has done more recently

2 is already pushing it and only acceptable because Miyamoto Musashi was a real person.

but...

Why would you say zero when you posted one

He is the bone of his sword.

See, one sword involved and it's anime. 0 swords is the most you can have without it being anime.
But Shichika is a person

Based Emiya

>Schichika is a person

Generally a unfinished sword that is going around Japan with besr girl.

I can see why they didn't use it for the anime, but taking out his internal narration really hurts FSN. Mostly the build up to a sex scene followed by him outright admitting to playing dumb all this time or the bizarre sword obsession, but there's other things that are kind of lost.

how can a skilled but normal swordsman parry and block someone with an unreasonable amount of swords?

By shooting them.

> I answer simply: They cannot. They die. There can be no victory in that fight."
>—Sensei Hisoka, letter to Lord Konda

Seriously though, if someone capable of controlling 3+ swords at once even moreso if they do it remotely even to a distance as small as about 30cm the action economy is so far against them they cannot hope to win. They would need to have the speed to take three actions as fast as a normal person takes one. Even more if they want to counterattack. Another option is blocking or parrying multiple weapons in one movement but that's also borderline impossible. If someone slashes at you with three swords, each from a separate angle you're pretty much fucked. Alternatively get a body strong enough that even with three attacks they can't injure you

how can a skilled but normal marksman aim and shoot at someone with an unreasonable amount of guns?

By shooting them first.

By hiding better

>They would need to have the speed to take three actions as fast as a normal person takes one.

Real life combat is not like rpg with turns.

You would be surprised how fast you can do things.

By using some form of incendiary round.

Just the reach advantage from being able to control swords in the air would make a gigantic difference.

Shit, whats this show?

Katanagatari. It's good, but it's like 50% talking. You may or may not find it unbearably boring, depending on how pretentious you will find the extensive dialogues.

You can do things fast, but simultaneous is a bit of an issue.

And if you're after realism, you got caught on that, and not the bit about getting a body strong enough that a fucking sword can't hurt you, or just fucking wielding three swords at once?

Even a single sword can be anime bullshit. The trick is to not approach your character like a weeb.
That is, don't make skinny spike-haired prettyboys swinging around gigantic slabs of sharpened metal. Katanas, releasing energy blasts and/or shockwaves by shouting really hard, or any combination of those.
If you want you character to have a single 2 meter long probably-weights-a-ton slab of steel don't make a cloud, make a guts.

So is this a stealth fate thread or what.

Ill give it a go.

I considered arming up my characters with 10 swords in 40k rpgs in case I came across someone with a power weapon. God bless Quick Draw

>guts
>not anime bullshit too
ok boss

Why not just a single backup sword for the initial fuck up and a gun to actually deal with them?

>Real life combat is not like rpg with turns
I know. But if I send three swords to attack you simultaneously, you'd better hope you can block or parry three attacks in that time.

This is why we have bullshit discussions about "what's better, swords or guns" and "everyone knows katanas are better than greatswords", or my personal favourite "who would win, a medieval knight with a halberd, or a japonese samurai with dual katanas".

You fuckers are all Massive anime faggots, and you can't help but have that shit seep through into your interests like an ooze.

I should know, I'm posting this on a chink show forum.

You don't. If you can control flying swords you make them attack before they hit not try to parry. Flying sword will be faster than hand. Your brain is much faster than your hand.

As many as makes sense. A lot of game systems differentiate between weapons in such a way that it's possible for them to all have different effects under different circumstances, but for a character to be equally skillful in all of them. So in 5e, for example, it's not uncommon for a shield-using martial to grab a Longsword for a 1 and 2 handed slashing, a Rapier for 1 handed piercing, and a flail for 1 handed bludgeoning, with at least one of the doing magical damage, ideally 2 of them each doing a different damage type. So depending on how easy it is to get the equipment you want you may end up with 3-5 weapons just because of the system. There's some 3.PF fighter builds that go even deeper than that.

The key is why. If it makes mechanical sense for you to have a Longsword, Rapier, and Flail with a +1 Dagger for damage type coverage you're fine, that's just a valid mechanical choice. If you're dragging around 8 identical Longswords-Possibly-Re-Fluffed-as-Katanas because "it's what my character would do," "rule of cool," or "Unlimited Blade Works makes my peepee hard" your suspicion that you have fallen into anime bullshit is probably accurate.

Come up with a reason to be throwing/dropping/leaving them in the wound channels and keep drawing new ones. Only two hands to go around, after all. This actually isn't a bad way to use daggers in 5e for certain builds in certain fights because of how many traits the dagger has and how they interact with some abilities.

"anime bullshit" is precisely the kind of shit you'd expect by the time a character hits high levels though.

depends on the situation

Thank god you were here to clarify that

just doing my job, citizen

>How many swords is a character allowed to have before it becomes anime bullshit?
As many as he wants, as long as he can't use them at the same time, and he obeys the rules of weight encumbrance.

Besides, the amount of swords a character has has nothing to dow tih anime bullshit. After all, bravery is not a function of firepower.

I had five weapons once on a pathfinder character.

>One hammer which was his beloved goblin-smacking hammer
>Another hammer which was his beloved glowing orc-smacking hammer
>A crossbow which was his beloved skeleton-sniping crossbow
>A pickaxe which was his beloved 'Fuck your mine dungeon bullshit' pickaxe.
>And finally a greatsword, which he carried around as a memento to a dead friend.

Honestly for a pathfinder character that's not much. I think he also had a knife somewhere.

da fuck am I looking at?

Unless you are a sword merchant, one

By wearing proper armor and defending the actual vulnerable parts. The usual anime flying sword bullshit doesn't seem to have precision to target exposed areas, they just fly around and try to hit something, which works because either anime characters don't wear proper armor, or the armor is about as effective as wet tissue. Sorry, weeaboo but you're NOT cutting through proper plate. No, not even with a katana. Especially not with a katana.

>How many swords is a character allowed to have before it becomes anime bullshit?
Try to imagine someone having to carry all those swords around on their person.

I'd say three or four swords, but only one or two being directly accessible. I doubt you'd hang more than two swords off your waist. Which means you'll have one or two swords on your back. Which cannot be used without taking the scabbards off your back. So the sword(s) on your back will be either replacement swords, swords for your allies that you carry around, or they'll be great swords, too big to lug around on your waist. It's not like you need a great sword to be easily available. Great swords aren't for defending yourself if you get jumped anyway.

Depends on the game since if you DM keeps throwing all sort of monster with very different DRs you might need 4 or 5 different weapons to hurt them.

>Tfw I have couple of weapons each with [Something] Bane different for each situation
Fuck, am I anime?

Not a sword, but I had a dwarf armed with so many weapons they couldn't fit into standard "attacks" section of the character sheet: shield (which is a weapon if used right), battleaxe (because zombies and general usage), warhammer (because skeletons and armored foes, even if it wasn't actually any more effective in the system), greataxe (because sometimes, strong offense is the best deffense), shortsword (because dagger isn't a proper sidearm for dwarf, and certainly not as a compensation for anything) javelins (because short dwarven legs and enemies out of reach), pike (because fuck cavalry), crossbow (because better range than javelins), dagger(s) (because dagger, and everyone needs a knife) and spiked gauntlets (because sometimes you just have to beat goblins to death with your "bare" (as far as the dwarves are concerned) hands).

Not at the same time, though. Had to buy a cart to lug all that with me. I was working on adding guns to the list, but the GM had to stop running that game thanks to RL before that happened.

>Dwarf
>Javelins
>Not throwing axes
You're no dwarf

Assuming those guns are muzzle loaders this was a strategy. He fires once, tosses aside the weapon, picks up the next fires once, tosses that one aside because it would take almost 3 minutes to reload it and 15 seconds to pick up another one, so he keeps grabbing and shooting from his chace, unless he has someone there with him to reload the guns as he fires them.

Assuming he's using western guns from the 17 and 1800's

>only stereotypes are allowed

Better range and it's easier to lug around a bag of 6 or so javelins than the same amount of throwing axes.

Only after Gygax steal them from that translated chinese wuxia movie he is watching.

two, one silver and one steel duh

Well Guts is somewhat believable. Somewhat. He's just a strong buff dude who wields a full blade.

Any other bullshittery that I know of comes from the magic armor he wears, and the fact that his primary weapon killed so many monsters, devils, and demons that it now counts as a magical weapon for the purposes of overcoming damage reduction.

pathfinder sounds like shit

Even in D&D 3.5 Fighter characters were encouraged to carry around a golf bag full of different weapons to deal with different resistances and immunities.

Anime bullshit

>Any other bullshittery that I know of comes from the magic armor he wears
Oh you mean the Armour that lets him ignore Initiative when it's active?

You mean the armour that lets him ignore being at -10 HP as long as he doesn't take it off.

(carry_limit - total_weight_of_other_gear) / weight_of_sword
with decimal part truncated, not rounded

No.
You cannot just magically stick swords at your side and back like you're made out of magical magnets. You also have to WEAR swords.

>Play character that can bond with up two 7 objects and summon them from whatever place they're
Technically I had 7 weapons """with""" me all the time

We always made jokes about people finding my weapons, fighting with them and suddenly the weapon going puff because I summon it and the dude dying or whatever