Reasons to leave a game thread

Post reasons why you've left previous games, or had to kick a player, not including scheduling stuff. Looking for stuff on the tier of: youtube.com/watch?v=--lGnFC4otM

I'll start.

Two weeks ago, my character died. I'm now seriously considering leaving our biweekly game. It's not so much that I was inordinately attached to the character - it's moreso the way things ended up happening.

Long story short, I was pestering our DM. I thought it would be really funny if he gave me a way to permanently turn into an elephant. Now granted, I was always assuming that there would be some way to change back but I never made this clear. Hence, I think the DM wrote this character off as "user doesn't want to play this character anymore."

Fast forward to last week. An evil wizard changes me into an elephant - I assume shenanigans are to ensure. I run around like an asshole for thirty minutes, I guess wasting everyone's time. We secure a mcguffin that might change me back and attempt to use it - lo and behold, it turns me into a hideous monstrosity that the team then has to fight. They fight, they win, I die. Permanently.

>DM has to stop in the middle of his sentences every three words just to breathe and usually he repeats the last word of his sentence so everything he says drags on
>also he lets out this weird laugh whenever something dies or crits/crit fumbles and has to pause in the middle of speaking just to get his little bit of laugh in
the result is something like this
"hhuuhh...so the um... hhuuhh hehehehe... the um ogre take his... um, hhuhhh hmmm... club and hehehehe lifts it up, huhh and brings it down hhuhehehehhuhh down upon your uhh head"

everything took forever and a 4 hour long session would usually consist of a minuscule amount of roleplaying and two simple, short combat encounters. weirder yet, whenever he was talking in certain NPCs voices, he would talk 90% more normally and pause much less often.

also he also made it to where we killed a goblin who had an orc as a passionate gay lover and i just lost all interest in the campaign after that. it seemed like everything was improvised and he had 0 maps or tokens ready for any encounters at all besides a map of the starting town we were in. and we were supposedly playing princes of the apocalypse.

So. As far as how to interpret this. I'm obviously very salty about losing the character so suddenly and after what seemed to me like a relatively minor transgression. I think a good amount of explaining it can go into basic miscommunication of me implying I wanted shenanigans vs me implying I was done with this character.

My Q is: is this just "DM justice"? Is this a thing that normally happens? It felt unfair, but am I being hypersensitive? Was I a bad player or is this just an unfortunate situation?

All in all, it's a bad feeling, and so I'm seriously consider leaving but idk - any old heads want to tell me how to feel about this?

>he also made it to where we killed a goblin who had an orc as a passionate gay lover
Don't be so ungrateful user, your DM must have put lots of time and effort into making sure that every enemy is a fully characterized NPC in their own right.

If the tone of the game was serious, and you wanted to be a braindead idiot (like you're describing) you have no one to blame but yourself.

Well, to be fair, it sounds like you were being a bit of a memelord, and such a death is deserved.

>PCs need to recover a prisoner from an ogre fort
>Since there are four of them, and ogres are tough, they could either sneak around and try to liberate the captive without being detected by the 30+ ogres, or charge in headlong.
>Group retard favors the latter plan, and when none of the other PCs want to do it, goes in alone.
>Lasts about 3 rounds.
>Is upset about the "bullshit difficulty in the campaign."
>Need to make a new character, who shows up later on in the session.
>Meet "Slimy Buttpoop", a kobold ninja.
>Specializes in "hiding away from bullshit and stealing from people who deserve it, like his traveling companions".
>Veto this character out of hand, tell him that I won't accept another bullshit character only there to disrupt the game.
>Next attempt is a half elf named "Piggy"
>Piggy weighs in at a metric ton. Reasons for adventuring include trying to raise money to get more comestibles, as well as fleeing the local jurisdiction for several counts of cannibalism.
>Assume this is a joke character, as he's also a rogue style stealth guy, despite his bulk, and induct him.
>Piggy then immediately tries to use his "lethal flatulence" and the "compression cannon of his fatass constipation" to try to stun the rest of the party so he can eat them alive.
>Boot.

Fair enough. So then the appropriate response is what? Leave? Come back and try to be less of an ass?

If this was a signal that I'm just a bad player for this game, then isn't it better for all parties involved if I just go? I just don't want to be a part of a game where the group has issues with me. I'm not angry, I just want to know if I should leave - and if YOU would leave if put in a similar situation.

There's this one guy I fucking hate and I have plenty of stories about him but he probably browses Veeky Forums and I don't know how to tell the story without giving myself away

Man up and tell them

You're an obnoxious memer and got what you deserved.

Do you think you were a bad player, or that you made a bad choice?

I'd recommend talking to your DM about what happened, be clear on what your intention was, try to understand what their perspective was, and if there's a conflict between the kind of game you want and the kind of game they want. Be sure to speak calmly.

In your situation, I can't say what I would do. I wouldn't seriously suggest turning myself into an elephant, perhaps as a one off joke. I would have objected at the table to being turned into a monster to kill, especially if I died, as that strikes me more as a bullying activity.

depends
do you have beef with the DM or other players?
do they think it was unfun to play with you?
did you, aside from that event, generally have fun with the group?

I'd say keep on playing, miscommunication happens, and if you're not on bad terms with the DM or the other players you can keep playing, having fun with them

Yeah, I mean, I thought it'd be funny for the table. Elephant-related humor did commence. I thought it was entertaining, certainly, lol.

And then my character died. Getting turned into a monster certainly didn't feel very good.

This would have been my first tip that me and the rest of the table aren't on the same page, but it's entirely possible that I'm just completely obtuse and have been missing cues that people or the DM are fed up.

1) I don't think so? 2) I don't think so. 3) Yeah, for sure.

Hrm. Maybe I'm hypersensitive?

just talk to them
tell them how you feel, that you didn't want to ruin their experience, that you were taken aback about that situation etcetc
they'll understand, you guys will come to clear terms and the fun can continue and you'll never get transformed into an elephant again

But like. What if it wasn't miscommunication, lol. At this point, pride is definitely a factor, too. Wanting to not come crawling back/etc if this was a deliberate thing or bullying attempt, ya know?

ask them
you have the choice of surmising what they did and why, while not talking to them
or
going to them and talk to them

the first option would most certainly lead to more miscommunication and bad feelings and therefore to a situation where you have no choice but to leave the group

the second option gives you insight into the thoughts of the other people, that way you have more information to base your decision, whether to leave the group or not, on

I've left one game before. It was a Nechronica game. Good game, very good game. Run by an incredibly competent GM. But the two of us have, quite often, rather divergent opinions. I couldn't really stomach some things he thought were a good fit. Funnily enough given the system, it wasn't that he took the zombie loli premise too far, but that he just likes military shit too much. There were battleships on the seas, a tank still operating and running around, bombarding things with artillery was by no means uncommon, etc.

When he was on point, he was on goddamn point, but the variance between highs and lows was eventually just too much. My character had been building up in depression over the course of the game, and it had come to a head recently. She ended up committing suicide while out in the field, and that was the time to bow out, removed from the game probably as organically as could be managed.

>Constant memeing
>Constant commentary on the actions of others
>Discussion tangents unrelated to the game
>First session being called off /pushed back
>Anime avatars if online
>Bodily smells if in person
>Talking back and arguing to the GM
>Child characters
>Containing people you have previously known to be the above
>Character sheets with no background or fluff
>Anything related to a magical realm

I enjoy a straight campaign, I want to be part a story told by the GM, I don't want a cheap laugh at the same fucking joke that's made every time.

Well I suppose the elephant in the room here is that you wanted to be an elephant in the first place.

I mean, this would strike me as a very odd request unless you were a druid. Were you a druid, user?

>just talk to them
this would solve like 95% of gaming group issues. just fucking talk, people! you're already interacting with them via the game, just say something before/after it! jesus fucking christ.

I have, he was too stupid to get it, he's out of my life now and while I am not afraid to tell him to fuck off, I would rather not deal with him

I don't believe it does, people are aware of the behavior they engage in. The short answer is they do not care. They fixate on something, an item, a race, anything and won't budge until they get their own way. Talking about it only makes it worse, some things have to be to be shut down and shut down hard for the betterment of the game.

>Pic related, always wants to play a Madalorian Bounty Hunter

people do not care until you tell them in person
thats the point where they have to deal with a real human and that humans thoughts and feelings
just parting ways without even trying to get a consensus is a method for pussies that can't handle the most basic social interactions
even if the talking fails he can at least leave pride knowing that he is a good person that tried to make the best out of it

In a game around a table, I would strongly agree. But online, people do not filter their behavior through any sort of compassionate or sociable frame. They know what they want to play and what they will play if they get in to the game.

There are some good people out their that can be told no, will move on and find something else.

I'm considering leaving a game I'm currently in. The GM is thoughtful, the other players are great and have fun together, but I don't feel that I have anything to say or do, and that tends to mean I'm just sitting there for a few hours every other week while everyone else does things, only occasionally butting in for combat. I've come to terms with how little I really do, but I feel like eventually the party's going to want an actual player instead of a mute statblock, and it's unfair to keep sticking around in the vain hope that something will spring me into action.

I left once because the GM was an insufferable cunt.

I've only ever had to kick one player, and that was years ago.

Every campaign and every character it was the same for him. He'd make a character who was exceptional attractive / charismatic / whatever the system allowed for. When every single female PC and NPC that he encountered didn't immediately fall in love with his character and start fighting over him, he'd get all poutey and butthurt and try to torpedo the entire campaign. Talked to him and gave him warnings, but he didn't listen and he eventually got the boot.

>that pic
>fucking autismos

Why do people think it is okay to ask this kind of thing?

I tend to be fairly picky with what I apply to and don't play D&D so I manage to avoid the worst of the idiots. Only games that really come to mind are:
>The game being a PBP when the GM specifically told me it was not a PBP
>The GM saying there was no restriction on what books to use, then 2 days before the first session going "Now it's core only, everyone remake your characters"

Are you having fun? Yo, don't assume that you don't add value to other people's experience.

Do you feel like you're ruining their fun? Because even if that's true, and they might have given you a cue of that if so, you should know that you can always improve in your improv.

What's the main issue? Do you feel like you don't have any ideas of what to do - or is it that you feel like all of your ideas are lame / not interesting?

Ask your closest friend in the group, yo. Tell them your concern and get their interpretation of your actions.

You sound like a sorry sad fuck. Have you ever had a game that you enjoyed being a part of? Are you just currently depressed and demoralized or is this normal for you? Your self-confidence is complete shit, take a superman pose in front of a mirror and tell yourself you're an ok player.

Also, experienced DMs have had mute players before, and I personally cherish them. They're the regular guys that shine just by being among friends rolling dice, they aren't too invested in the story and don't like the spotlight being shined on them too much. Before I forced them to act and shined too much and they didn't like it, now I know that the mute friend is a cool guy that just enjoys being there. He's not judgmental like the RP guy or a tight-ass like the rollplay guy, he's just enjoying himself.
You might be a kind mute that hasn't come to terms with his gameplay preference, thinking you should do oscar performances. You could also be depressed if you've been far more active than now. Or your DM could be forgetting your character and forgetting to shine some light on you, talk to him.

Try being more active, and if you don't like it, accept yourself as the more laid-back guy. Talk to the entire table about it, ask them how they feel with you not being that active. Don't go all "maybe she'll be happier with some other guy", that's weak-ass shit.

That pic hits closer to home than it should.

This. Grow the fuck up and ask how you can become more included in the campaign.

I don't think I'm having fun, no - it's not really fun to kind of sit and listen to others do things. But I want to have fun because it is honestly a good group, better than I've had in the past. And I'm not really doing much aside from combat, so I don't think I'm having a positive or negative effect. Maybe they're just vaguely confused that I'm not doing more.

Biggest problem is probably that I don't feel that attached to my character (though I can't think of anything else I'd want to play right now). Compared to everyone else's characters he doesn't feel interesting. I usually skimp on backstory in favor of building character over a campaign, but he hasn't developed at all, and it feels stilted and awkward when other characters try to talk to him. In fact, I've had trouble interacting OOC anyway - probably since it's an online game, where I'm used to being around a table. So far there's been nothing outside of the party to try and do things with, since we've been in the middle of travelling to get a macguffin and haven't had any towns to stop at, so I can't even really have him talk with NPCs and show a passion for pastries or hats or something.

You know that greentext story, with the character with no personality until he refuses to take off his hat and thereby gains a little character? I feel like that, only I haven't been asked to take my hat off.

>get the opportunity to wipe out your party in a dramatic, heart-breaking fashion depending on their emotional ties with you and how to respond to seeing a beloved friend rapidly degrade into a hideous monster

Character death aside, this sounds fucking awesome.

Reroll character or ask for heavy traumatic event from DM and overcome it (either by edgy, more mature and wisened, wierdly happy).

What's the deal with your character anyway? Just write up more backstory and talk to your DM.
DO NOT GET STUCK IN YOUR OWN FANTASY WORLD, THERE ARE OTHER PEOPLE AT THE TABLE THAT YOU CAN NOT SIMULATE WITHIN YOUR HEAD NO MATTER HOW SMART YOU ARE. THIS IS THE ROAD TO RUIN.
just talk to them

I didn't invite the GM to my child's birthday party when he has no child who would attend.

He decided that my clerics diety had a personal grudge and stopping granting me and prayers or powers.

Ey, thanks for the tough love. Didn't think I'd get so much attention.

I don't think I'm the mute guy, at least not usually - I've seen guys like that who are oddly quiet and stumbling in game, but seem real excited to talk about it afterwards.

I think you bring up a good point with asking how active I've been before - I have been active before, but I guess the switch from IRL games to online game is affecting how I usually interact and play - there's no people physically there to talk to and all that. Might be depressed too, but it's hard to tell. Thanks for the food for thought - maybe this is something I can improve, maybe at least in an online sense I'd rather be the mute and I don't have to feel like a fuckup for it.

>I thought it would be really funny if he gave me a way to permanently turn into an elephant. Now granted, I was always assuming that there would be some way to change back but I never made this clear.
>permanently
>change back
You're an idiot.

Is your DM a ham-galaxy? Stopping to breathe that much ain't normal

>Committing suicide in Nechronica

Jesus christ I can't think of a worse fate.

>I was pestering our DM
red flag
>I thought it would be really funny if he gave me a way to permanently turn into an elephant
why? redflag too
>I was always assuming that there would be some way to change back
but it was permanent
>I run around like an asshole for thirty minutes
redflag
> I guess wasting everyone's time.
yes
>We secure a mcguffin that might change me back and attempt to use it - lo and behold, it turns me into a hideous monstrosity that the team then has to fight.
You deserved it, since you hated your old body so much. I'm sure the DM was tired of your shit.

>GM is a stoner but makes a point to not get high before or during the game
>game is a cartoonish setting with a more mature/realistic spin
>three of us players
>we all have fun and are enjoying the snippets of detail GM will occasionally tell us about future characters
>plot sounds like its only just starting to get to the good stuff
>about 4 sessions in
>"hey user, I'm inviting my friend from work, he's gonna make a character quickly before you guys get here and then we'll play"
>get there
>GM and new guy are both high and getting higher
>they haven't even started making character
>get them on track to do it
>high GM has basically no short term memory and constantly forgets his train of thought midsentence
>high new player constantly interrupts stuff making GM distracted even more
>they spend over an hour making this fucking character
>character is a total joke character with a celebrity cameo backstory and the dumbest fucking humor involved in his introduction
>we play for like an hour and basically get nothing accomplished
I would have never returned to this game if it actually continued, but supposedly, GM completely ran out of ideas about how to continue the plot.

I would rejoice for not being forced to attend a gathering of shouting kids and parents talking about shouting kids, more so if you don't have any and just weirdly attented the party.

$50 says you are reading too far in to a situation and connecting two completely unrelated events.

man that feels like my current DM user.

Been playing with them for a few months now, and been getting more and more pissed with him.

Been running Curse of Strahd for 5e and besides it feeling like the worst railroad campaign i've ever played in. He purposely makes calls to gimp my cleric.

Cant turn undead "Your God doesn't exist in Ravenloft."

Can't convince commoners to help us. "The townsfolk are more afraid of you. And they attempt to run you out of town."

Can't do anything tactically. "Oh well. If Dispel Magic won't work, then He'll just use Counterspell instead."

Fucking swear. Just found out my DM is a stoner to. Fucking makes me want to up and quit right now.

They're one of the player types. Watchers don't need to participate in the role-playing, they enjoy watching it happen. They're happy, the group generally isn't unhappy about it, and for GMs they're great. They don't want spotlight time and they work hard to get out from under it quickly if it hits them.

Generally the best thief/rogue players.

I'd rather have them as Barbarians/Fighters though, because thieves/rogues get lots od "dashing rogue" deals and can use bluff/diplomacy.

A gruff, quiet warrior suits them well, they tend to like low-risk low-gain types of characters. A wizard or cleric wouldn't be good for them.

Stealing the idea for Piggy.

You want an Actor on a Bard, not on the Rogue/Thief, generally.

But the Actor is going to be your best flim-flam man regardless of hero choice.

>That feeling when your an actor type and you play every class under the sun.

Feels Good Man

I've only had to kick a player once, but goddamn it helped . I'm normally a pretty understanding guy and I've helped former That Guys become actually decent. This guy, though, was just too much too fucking fast

>legit autistic, voice sounded like spongebob after a lobotomy

>constantly spouted memes in real life

>hardcore /pol/fag in the worst way, also loved school shooters

>hated my dog

>would just get randomly angry and rage when he didn't understand something or didn't get his way

>would constantly be passive aggressive or outright hostile with the rest of the group, most of whom were longtime friends of mine

>would constantly try to make himself the center of attention and try to one up everyone else. Followed around the party mage to roll his thaumatology skill on everything before the mage could
>tried to use said skill (which he was mediocre at ) for everything. Identify plants? Thaumatology. Track a deer? Thaumatology. Etc etc

>also pronounced it "thermatology"

>could not build a character to save his life, but refused any help. If I pointed out areas he could improve it he'd just change (not fix, just change) only what I pointed out and nothing else

>characters were also wildly snowflakey and stupid, such as a four armed kneeless Cyclops edgelord who dual wielded tower shields, an aquatic mutant (in a landlocked campaign region) rogue (who couldn't sneak) criminal (who actively antagonized other criminals, refused to work with a group, and balked at doing actual crime) who only used a claymore, and an edgy emo necromancer who insisted on being skulky and secretive despite being told in no uncertain terms that necromancy was tolerated and even sometimes viewed favorably in the region, and given a list of actually forbidden magical schools

Binl

The GM somehow misread my being a social retard when it came to girls for being gay and came onto me. I politely rebuffed him and he took it well, but it made the dynamics of our friendship a bit too weird for me so I stepped out.

>Track down runaway magic user in a swamp who put a curse on a town that turned all the adults into stone
>Capture her
>"You need to bring me back to the town to undo the curse, if you kill me it will linger until the terms are fulfilled and the children pledge themselves to (spooky eldritch horror)"
>Everyone but the party thief agrees to take the prisoner back to town
>Thief insists she can't be trusted and we should kill her now
>We can't leave the whole town stone, idiot
>Thief goes 'Hurr hurr I had to grow up without parents those kids can too it will make them STRONK like me"
>We tell him to shut up and then start to head back to the town
>Thief says he's trailing behind a bit to "watch for things from the swamp following us back"
>Draws his bow and shoots her in the back
>She dies
>What the fuck dude
>LOL WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO DO, KILL ME?

I wish this story ended with "and then I killed him," but instead I emailed the DM about his behavior and the DM said that the player is just a "really strong roleplayer" and I should consider that he's just "playing to the strengths of his character" so I left instead.

I really regret that the ending isn't "and so I killed him," though.