What kind of scenario can the great hero of saved the world/kingdom would become the current "BBEG"

what kind of scenario can the great hero of saved the world/kingdom would become the current "BBEG"

Other urls found in this thread:

wuxiaworld.com/isbbtw-index/isbbtw-chapter-1/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

There must always be a Lich King.

I had a game, and it didn't go down this path, but it easily could have.

>Players are working for this city that had been in a bad war with a group of giants for ages.
>Before campaign had started, signed an agreement with a nearby tribe of lizardfolk, promising them sacrifices of citizens in return for military aid.
>This alliance is beating up the giants.
>But it's not an easy one.
>Due to reasons that get fairly involved, PCs simultaneously deliver the death blow against the giant tribe, while stealing away the lizard sacrificial victim which means war with them.
>Another long, ugly war on top of the last one, which escalates to the point where the lizards wake up their dragon god to burn down half of the valley this all takes place in.
>PCs kill the dragon, and defeat the lizardmen, and come back to the shattered ruins of their home.
>Half the population thinks they're heroes. The other half thinks they're bastards who got them into this mess to begin with and wants to see them hang.
>The players actually wind up leaving the area and hoping that things will calm down on their own, but one thing they were discussing was seizing power themselves.
>That could easily lead into villany, and people wanting to get a new batch of heroes to remove them.

>Save world
>Many times
>World still a shitter because people are fucking greedy and mean by nature
>Grown apathic
>The only way to bring real peace to the world is ending it

>get sent into a magical slumber
>wake up centuries later
>your friends and love interest moved on while you were away and died long ago
>the kingdom you fought to save has degenerated morally and socially
>the decadence and hypocrisy disgusts you
>Time to reset this twisted game and start again from zero. Entrust the future to the next generation.
>Try to save the kingdom in your own way and return to simpler times (#MakeKingdomGreatAgain) and only considered BBEG because the players are hired by the other side or otherwise are forced to defend the kingdom from him (perhaps propaganda that demonizes him).
I'd make his real identity and true intentions a big reveal near the end of the game should tge party only blindly follow orders and not question anything. I'm not a bad enough GM to not let the players investigate the situation on their own should they please and join the BBEG if they want.

If your good with it. The egalitarian / authoritarian divide can give both sides a reasonable argument but cannot be easily reconciled.

There must always be a Darklord

The kingdom was dying, it needs 'new blood'. For it to live, the neighboring kingdoms must die, the life from the land literally stolen to revitalize the hero's home.

I could see something like this playing out, though maybe the former hero takes up the mantle of BBEG more out of a twisted desire to create a "new breed of hero". His reign of evil is all one big test to bring back a sense of heroism, though the more unsuccessful adventurers he slays the more jaded he becomes.

I've had an idea like this for a while, but I don't think it would really work for a campaign.

It's not a new idea, a villain setting themselves up as a single, overwhelming threat in order to force the peoples of the world to cooperate to survive against them.

As a hero, he fought for peace and justice, but every time politics and the greed of nations undermined his work. Eventually, he decided the only way to save the world was to threaten it, to position himself as a danger to everything and everyone, to force the crowns and thrones to pay attention to mutual defence instead of internal squabbling.

user, I came up with that idea 30 mins ago.

>30 min ago
Kek, slow. I came in your wife 9 months ago.

Frostmourne hungers

I post on Veeky Forums, why would you think I have a gf much less a wife?

Sorry, I was projecting...sperm inside your wife.

Recognition that the world is a complex. There is no "evil" which goes around like a spirit and infects people to make them fall from the light. You have to be the sort of person who is strong enough to make a shitty choice because the alternatives are worse, and then have the strength of character to accept the consequences, be they good or ill.

"To forgive the enemies of the people is cruelty, to execute them is clemency."
-Robespierre

I don't know who you've been fucking but they don't have any connection to me. Especially the girl (male) you prefer.

>"BBEG"

"Ugh."

Rude.

Nah, dude, we just left ourselves a note to go back to 35 minutes ago and turn your machines off!

To be the hero who saves the world, all you need is power and a basic survival instinct. It doesn't take a very good person to save the world because the world's destruction doesn't benefit anyone.

>go back in time to kill your younger self
>This way you'll never become a hero
>The world will perish without a hero to save it

The world tries to get rid of the hero afterwards because they've served their 'purpose' and are now unnecessary and a hindrance.

In order to save the world the hero gains some small measure of divinity and the corresponding immortality. Returning to normal life is fine for a while, but eventually everyone the hero loved passes, so being forever the pure hearted optimist they seek out new friends and lovers. The cycle repeats itself several times, eventually the cumulative sense of loss drives them insane and they begin searching the world for ways to kill the very gods who gave him the power in the first place.

The world was basically a write-off by the time they "saved" it.

The things it was saved from had become the dominant species.
The BBEG is an grouchy elf, or something. "Death to humans", or whatever.

The hero becomes lavishly wealthy and powerful as thanks for saving the kingdom.

The hero then steadily becomes corrupt over time wanting more power, eventually leads a coup against the king, and becomes a tyrannical ruler.

wuxiaworld.com/isbbtw-index/isbbtw-chapter-1/

The hero was disillusioned in his quest to save the world, transforming from a young idealist to a hedonistic, power hungry maniac. He lost someone/something dear to him (his lover, his hometown) and after the conclusion of his quest he felt no elation, no joy as the crowds hailed his name. He only felt deep emptiness and grief, which started his fall from grace.

Alternatively, his motives were never pure to begin with. He saved the world for money, or for glory, or for revenge, and after he got (or didn't get) what he wanted, he showed the world that deep down, he was worse than the evil he defeated.