I promised to post the new info I gave out at the panel. Note that it’s all about Unstable. Here it is:

>I promised to post the new info I gave out at the panel. Note that it’s all about Unstable. Here it is:

>Unstable will have a small Squirrel theme, enough to build a deck around. There is a Squirrel lord but because its effects stack, it isn’t legendary so people can get multiples on the battlefield at the same time.

>The set will have full-art basic lands with art done by John Avon. We did something with them that we almost did in Unhinged by chickened out. They look amazing.

>The set will have Contraptions. I figured out a flavorful and fun way to do them but it was a bit much for black border. I consider it a home run execution. Steamflogger Boss is on the set. It appears once on the land sheet (It was the only way to get a black-bordered card in the set). Only the basic lands and Steamflogger Boss are Eternal playable. All the creatures in this set that assemble Contraptions are Riggers.

>The set has a cohesive creative theme. We brought in artists and did real world building. The world is a mad scientist steam punkish world with five factions:

>Order of the Widget (White/Blue) - This is the cyborg faction. They are like Esper but without any self control. They use their inventions to constantly improve themselves. You don’t need a toaster if you replace your hand with a toaster. They take self improvement to an absurd degree.

>Agents of S.N.E.A.K. (Blue/Black) - This faction is the spies. They use their inventions for elaborate spy devices. The problem is, they are, for the most part, awful spies, using spy gadgets whenever and wherever they can often when not remotely called for.

Other urls found in this thread:

imgur.com/a/cofkH
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>Legion of Dastardly Doom (Black/Red) - This faction is the super villains. They use their inventions for death rays, weather control devices and apocalypse machines. They want to rule the world, but are constantly fighting as to who gets to destroy the world first.

>Goblin Explosioneers (Red/Green) - This faction is the Goblins, it includes the Steamfloggers. These Goblins love making contraptions and are slightly obsessed with hammers. Their style is slapping thing together to see if cool things can happen. And when things don’t explode, sometimes they do.

>Crossbreed Labs (Green/White) - This faction is obsessed with using their inventions to alter biology. They are all made up of hybrids of different animals. Part monkey/part spider/part leopard - sounds good. This faction mixes and matches all sorts of different animals in its quest for self improvement.

>The set uses modern design and development techniques. It was designed to be drafted by itself and the release events for the product will be booster drafts. We worked hard to make the set have a lot of playability so you can draft it a bunch of times.

>The set will have foil tokens, both for tokens produced by cards in the set and for popular tribes we felt the players would like in foil.

>There are tons of other cool things I can’t talk about yet. The set does have a second named mechanic, along with Contraptions. It is something we’ve been trying to solve for years and with the flexibility of silver border, finally found a way to do it.

>The set started design in January of 2011 and has its release date slip on several occasions. I am very proud of the work everyone did and think it’s the best Un-set we’ve ever made. I believe fans of Un-sets are going to love it.

>John Avon full art lands
Hnnnnnnnggg

Is that a good sound? I wonder what was so crazy they "chickened out" in Unhinged.

Sorry mark but crossbreed labs doesnt sound WG at all.

Cute but weird they did legit worldbuilding.

any card leaks?

Also explosioneers dont sound green

It's literally just Simic, but they're more willing to experiment on themselves. What makes white a better choice than blue in this flavor situation?

There was art at the panel, but haven't seen anything yet.

White is all about boosting themselves with Bolster, +1/+1, and "Slivers-onna-stick" creatures.

They were doing allied color, I'm sure they got to GW and were like "well shit".

It's definitely a stretch, but I could see it from a "let's create the perfect being and be one" angle.

Very Good, that forest I posted is easily my favorite forest art.

Also, my guess for what they chickened out on is completely textless full art lands. Like, you just know this one is a swamp because it looks like a swamp, it won't even say swamp on it.

That or they completely shit on all our hopes and dreams and do no art and just a complete rules list about lands.

Link to images:

imgur.com/a/cofkH

Very hearthstone-esque style, which is fitting.

I think ypu could pull off the idea if ypu flavored it right but they either didnt or he explained it poorly. All the factions are mad scientists but maybe if it were something about trying to make everyone closer to nature by turning them into animals or something rather than spinning it as self improvement using nature which is distinctly and specifically UG.

Yeah I agree, but I'm not too fussed about it.

Also wonder why he went ally and not enemy color here.

What's the chance this is in the top 5 regularly priced sets to draft? Seems like MaRo really tried with this set, but this is MaRo we're talking about.

Watch as instead of poking fun at their own stuff like in the first two Un-Sets, they use all of Unstable to shit all of Hearthstone.

>Agents of S.N.E.A.K. (Blue/Black) - This faction is the spies. They use their inventions for elaborate spy devices. The problem is, they are, for the most part, awful spies, using spy gadgets whenever and wherever they can often when not remotely called for.
This sounds legit humorous to me, not gonna lie.

>You shoot the grappling hook, the fan pulls you up.

That's kind of genius.

We can now say magic the gathering officially has fat spider monkey tits. Thanks maro!

Inspector Gadget?

I'm sure Crossbred Labs will have their /d/ thread soon enough.

>spider-girls are your fetish

This sounds scifi as fuck. Hope the lands are as well.

>this is WG
Hm.

>everyone pulling for lands
>every venue will host one time drafts
>cards will be cheap as hell
>buy enough cards to booster draft forever

If it's shitty to draft, the first Conspiracy is cheap as hell. Would love to have a box I could sleeve up and bring to friends houses/FLGS to draft with whenever we wanted.

Conspiracy was a highly under rated set.

You play the first set? How was the draft? Most expensive Mythic is $10, so might build a draft cube.

What is going on in this picture?

SciFi: mtg version

>cohesive creative

What does it mean?

>cohesive creative
>What does it mean?
It means a single world with interacting factions and legendary characters, rather than just a grab-bag of jokes with nothing behind it.

>finally make contraptions
>silver border
Damnit Maro. All you had to do was follow up on Investigate and you would've had it.

To be fair, full-rules lands would be amusing themselves. I'd run them, personally.

>W/U tribe is about using shitty confusing equipment to win
>U/B tribe about getting away with cheating to win
>B/R tribe all about using powerful cards with terrible downsides to win
>R/G tribe is all luck based where you win or lose spectacularly
>G/W tribe is all dexterity and acting based where you need to do physical tasks to win

Could be fun.

No Avon, it's just the entire "Land" section in the rules, written out in the 5 different colors.

They could have just enough space between the name box and the typeline box to show that there IS art there. A whole two millimeters of art or so.
Or have a transparent background so that, while you can't actually SEE the art because of all the damn text there's definitely art.

I think white should have been like literally militant hippies with drugs and soviet imagery and shit

>The set will have full-art basic lands with art done by John Avon. We did something with them that we almost did in Unhinged by chickened out. They look amazing.
My guess: Horizontal lands, like a landscape painting. They chickened out because it might get confusing with when it's tapped or not, but for showing off art there's nothing better.

>>The set will have Contraptions. I figured out a flavorful and fun way to do them but it was a bit much for black border.

Are you fucking shitting me.
I wait a fucking decade for this mechanic and you relegate it to an "un" set.
While pushing flavorless garbage like "revolt."
Get hit by a bus you senile fuck.

Suck it, you fucking cuck

There's an old TV show called Get Smart. You should watch it, I think it's up your alley.

>foldable big card lands

I wanted Full-Text Lands dammit.

_ ____ __ ____ ____ _______

They seem more /trash/

yeah, them and order of the widget am what i'm most intrigued to see, the latter reminds me a lot of professor branestawm

Maybe white works with more of an animal rescue/shelter pet theme.

But user it isn't even a monkey!

At least no more than 30% monkey.

Good luck with the scorpion parts.

We should be able to have some sort of Constructed Un Format now.
Any ideas?

...Not really.

Some sort of horde mode. Each player has to fight against a zombie deck that randomly spawns between 0 and 2 zombies. The catch is that each zombie you kills goes to your opponent's board instead of the graveyard. Kill enough zombies to overwhelm your opponent's board and win. You can still fuck with your opponent with instants.

ANOTHER steam punk theme. Fucking wonderful.

Yawn.

He's talking on his blog about how he's trying to fit them into black border still.

So what are contraptions exactly? i wanna get pissed too.

We don't know yet. Just the fact that he promised to do them and have them work in the rules as it's written on Steamflogger Boss...and then did it in an unset.

Contraptions were a mechanic mentioned, but never elaborated on from a card from future sight (Steamflogger Boss) that was eventually revealed to be a joke that was never meant to be followed up on. Maro took it as a personal challenge and promised to see contraptions printed before he retired.

Gotta admire that he really did take "whatever it takes" to make it work. Maybe in few years rules will change enough to make contraptions black border. After all that's how we got superhaste and cheese stands alone in black border.

That sucks.

Yeah it's basically a bad thing.

Fucking amazing.
Cube plug here:
I built conspiracy cube using four of each common, two of each uncommon and a singleton of each mythic and rare, seeded packs such that each pack has eight commons, four uncommons, and two rares and:or mythics(same frequency) and a single conspiracy. Bonkers fun. Super gratifying to have a bunch of people start drafting and instantly everybody is super excited by how good everything is.
Note that I did end up cutting and culling cards that were boring and adding in extra things that still fit in the existing strategies. Lots of janky rares. The real power comes from uncommon level cards combined with clever use of the conspiracies.

I'll just buy it for the lands.

Stay mad, ass faggot.

I didn't realize how much I hated the GW simic until you said this. Thanks brother-man.

I do like agents of SNEAK and Legion of Dastardly Doom. The other I'm rather meh on.

This is my first Unset so Idk how I feel yet. Want to see more

Only complaint is my standard "Why is it always allied colors and shards?!" Why can't we get enemy pairs and wedges. Mardu is suffering.

And any clue what commander creatures will look like?

It's pulpy mad science sci-fi you twat

I want the lands to be full art super shitty kids drawings done with crayon.

Really surpeiaed they went ally here. Mark has expressed interest in an enemy focused set and hes said he interprets them as chaotic or at odds which fits the tone of Unstable. So really strange to me he just went ally colors.

Maybe next un- set will be enemy colored?

In a set where everything is a bit blue in theme there is a neccesary shift on the flavor of the colorpie

The fucking jew couldn't be bothered to spoil ONE fucking card for us.

Fuck him and his silver bordered set.

He did, though. Steamflogger Boss.

that'll be great a decade from now.