Hey Veeky Forums I thought I'd ask here since /v/ is a shithole

Hey Veeky Forums I thought I'd ask here since /v/ is a shithole.

A lot of GW games are on sale right now, and I was wondering if anyone had any experience with them.

Let me start with the questions about the most interesting (to me) deals.

Has anyone here played any of these games?

Out of all of those games the only two I could recommend are Space Hulk and Mordheim because they are ports of the table top games.

Talisman in any form and flavor is complete RNGfest. If you liked Monopoly or Munchkin it will be your cup of coffee.
Mordheim - keeps nothing of game mechanics but does the atmosphere alright. Multiplayer can get pretty imbalanced, but so was the tabletop game.
Arcane Magic - mobile game tier.
Legacy of Dorn - this would be cool back in 80's
Kill Team - mindless clickfest, there's better one in the making
Space Hulk - it's alright but being asymmetric might put some people off

Can you have a Smuggler in a Witch Hunter Warband? I want to buy it and the DLC locked nice.

I'd second this. Space Hulk and Mordheim are the only ones liable to not be complete shovelware.

Now I was wondering, is Total Warhammer worth it for someone who has never actually played WHFB in any way?

Mordheim is a pretty fun adaptation of the tabletop.

it's not on the list, but Vermintide is pretty cheap atm. There's not a great pub community for it, but if you can get together two or three friends slaughtering your way through hordes of ratmen is a riot.

The game deserves kudos for really nailing the atmosphere, and the voice acted lines and relationships between the various characters absolutely nail the setting, conveying all the prior tensions you'd expect, despite them being set aside in the face of a greater threat.

It also has some great level design in terms of theme and atmosphere, with the mission in a grey wizard (illusionists) tower being my personal favourite.

Talisman has some serious 'Nothing matters but RNG' issues that can make it pretty unfun/take utterly forever. If you like collective misery simulators where you and your friends ruin each other's lives and plans for your own enjoyment a better substitute would be Gremlins, inc.

I can absolutely agree, Vermintide is pretty neat.

Talisman
>A meaningless rollfest of dice?
Yes.
Morrdheim
Fun in multiplayer, might get boring after a while in singleplayer.
Arcane Magic
Never played it
Legacy of Dorn
It's pretty nice for what it is, though i recommend buying the android version adn reading/playing it on the go. Just be aware that you don't actually need to put down a map in the necron maze, you'll come across one in it.
It also recently got a minor update.
Kill Team
Yeah, it really is bland, even for a twinstick shooter.
It's one of those coop games that aren't fun with friends, but fun because of friends.
Space Hulk
Literally the board game.
They later released an updated version though that is much improved.
It's okay unless you're nostalgic.

>Legacy of Dorn - this would be cool back in 80's
Book never go out of favor imho
Also that awesome optional momentyou kill a dreadnought by letting it fall through weak floorand it alter appears again on a lower deck serving as a distraction for your enemiesafter you where captured by dark eldar

Does anyone have 40k Talisman and can elaborate on how well the multiplayer works?

Some old friends of mine played a bit of talisman, a few months ago, and decided to buy the steam version, since we're not all living near each other right now (most of them aren't very into tabletop gaming so the strategy light weight, RNG heavy thing is an advantage), but the multiplayer is complete garbage.

If you like RTSs then yeses, play it for a while then try some mods to see what you like. I've got like 600 hours on it.

After all of these suggestions, none of which slam Mordheim for being terrible, I have to ask:

why did this game make such a tiny splash?
I thought people loved Mordheim (the tabletop game). Sure, rose tinted glasses and all, but still, people liked it.

Then a (I assume faithful) recreation pops up on Steam, and nobody bats an eye?
Nobody complaining that "it's shit, it doesn't capture the essence of the board game."
Nobody saying "it's just nostalgia, Mordheim was never good."
Nobody "Hosting a game of Mordheim!"

What the hell? Bloodbowl was pretty much in the spotlight for a few days, and even with Space Hulk I knew it came out.
But this sale is the first time I find out Mordheim has a digital version? And apparently it isn't bad?

If I don't hear any more negatives, I'm getting that one.

(And the Dorn gamebook too, because fuck it.)

Well that triple spoiler didn't work out well

Because it is suprisingly mediocre as a computer game as the campaign is literally a mordheim tabletop campagin of hoarding ressorcues and getting your band together
There is also no cinematic presentation and the only characters the ones you make yourself
So it's only for niche enthusiasts and not common gamers

I ended up preordering Blood Bowl II Legendary Edition after much back and forthing, the features sound pretty cool and I'm just not going to play the base game until its release.

Wouldn't reccommend mordheim, its pretty crappy, the AI gets advantages over the player to make up for the fact they weren't talented enough to make them a challenge.
They are always slightly more experienced than your men despite having the exact same number of grunts and heroes you bring.

I enjoy Mordheim as a misery simulator - it's really not about defeating the AI straight up in missioms, it's about lengthening the game time to accomplish the more lucrative side objectives, while also gathering wyrdstone without losing men/taking too many casualties.

In that regard, it is a very challenging game, because yeah, sure, if you murderball your dudes you steamroll the enemy, but then you're going to have your patron wreck your shit for not making shipments.

It's not balanced. It's not fair. But it is my flavor of misery, and you really do get attached to Your Dudes.

To be fair, the AI is a major cheater while being dumb as fuck.
So there is some frustration in that.

So go hammer nails into your dick, fake difficulty makes for dull gameplay.

>So go hammer nails into your dick,
That's oddly specific user, is there something you need to tell us about?

I completely agree, that cheating fuck is bullshit, but I view every pathfinding bug as a blessing.

I would agree that it would be better if they had non retarded AI, but there is a certain satisfaction in luring them into your huntsman gunline, or actually managing to steal that fuckers flag and get it back to your crt (which I've only ever managed like twice)

That was my point though, it's not "fake difficulty" any more than Xenonauts or XCOM has fake difficulty. The point of the mission sn't kill X dudes, it's to scavenge the map without dying.

Mordheim is far and away one of the best GW IP games out there; committed devs, lots of content, lore-friendly, and a fun game. Space Hulk I'd also recommend, if you enjoy the boardgame, as it's very true to that.

I'd pass the others.

Mordheim is fun game, but there is no feelable progress in the single player, as enemies warbands scale around your power. Multi is where it shines, even if

I disagree, on the grounds that you have more and more skills later on, and can build certain characters to do certain tasks better. Opening up options for the player to use, even if you're not slaughtering mooks, is enough of a power boost.

hmm, I can agree to this. I could be biased as I like bashing mooks as stress killer in lategame vidya.

Total Warhammer is one of the best total wars in recent years. The old world lore is pretty cool too. You should be alright with no knowlefge as there's a lot from 40k that's similar (chaos/orcs...)

>Literally the board game.
>They later released an updated version though that is much improved.
You mean Ascension? It's an unplayable piece of garbage.
The original space hulk is better because it's just the boardgame.

To be fair, since AI enemies get both random skills and don't really know how to use them, if you have a specialized squad and the dice gods are with you, then it is a slaughter.

My smuggler with maxed quick reload, sniper shot, and all the climbing/leaping skills was an absolute terror if she could get a good perch over a skirmish, and the build up to getting a character like that is so satisfying.

And also, the agony when they fall is so real.

The development of new races beyond base game has only been (2) and with no new info (at least to me) on more coming out. I view mordheim like I view bloodbowl, in that with more races to play, the more fun I have, as I never really get bored of the various scenarios.

>none of which slam Mordheim for being terrible
>tiny splash?
When it released it was a buggy mess. So the built hype for the IP died with the release of a bad game. They later updated the game to fix most of the technical issues though. There was plenty of negative coverage.
>I thought people loved Mordheim (the tabletop game)
>Then a (I assume faithful) recreation pops up
There is nothing really that is very faithful about it.
They should have gone for something like an X-com or Fallout combat system with a topdown camera a proper minimap etc.
Instead they tried to do something like Valkyria Chronicles, but did it a lot worse, with an interface that feels like it was made for a 90s console and in a setting where that particular kind of control over your characters becomes very confusing. In the later updates they at least added a minimap.

>"it's shit, it doesn't capture the essence of the board game."
People have been over this a dozen times when it came out.
The game is usually bashed, and rightly so, for it's exceedingly bad AI.
>"it's just nostalgia, Mordheim was never good."
People old enough to have played Mordheim back then are usually able to put it into a more differentiated context (back when frostgrave came out everybody was talking about it.). But yeah, people talk about Mordheim being imbalanced etc all the time. Skaven Slingshots are a meme even. Kind of surprised you never read that.

>But this sale is the first time I find out Mordheim has a digital version? And apparently it isn't bad?
It's bad if you want to play Mordheim. It's okay if you want to play a game set in Mordheim. But after a few hours you may realize that it all boils down to pointless grinding if you try to play the singleplayer. And the mix of bad AI, RNG and the teams poor attempts at balancing the difficulty make it rather frustrating.
If you enjoy mindless timewasters like Darkest Dungeon you may get a kick out of it though.