Sigmar questions

So I'm trying to get into AoS since I love the skeletons so much, however I don't really understand it conceptually. What are realms? Are they like planets, or like never ending stretches of land? Do they touch or are realm gates the only connection? Is there really a whole plain that's on fire all the time? (Cuz that would suck)

If this thread is still up in a couple hours I will have time to answer your questions

Thanks!

i have the same questions as you do op so ill bump your thread so the other user can post answers.

I'm no expert, so maybe there's been new information since last i looked, but my impression was that no one knows. the descriptions are vague and slightly contradictory.

>What are realms? Are they like planets, or like never ending stretches of land?

They're collections of objects in space. This is part of the Realm of Fire for instance.

>Do they touch or are realm gates the only connection?

I don't think we've ever seen them touch.

>Is there really a whole plain that's on fire all the time?

Surely plains, but not a plane in the D&D plane of elemental fire sense.

supposedly, yes

AoS has little rules, both as a system and a setting

>we've ever seen them touch.
but we've heard of people crossing them without the mention of gates of sorts

Yes, they're in space, so you could fly from one to the other. Or use some other magic besides the gate.

The mortal realms are planes of existence. There are 8 main ones, each themed after the original winds of magic. Then there's the 9th realm, which is the realm of chaos. Pretty much the Warp in 40k.

They are all connected by realm gates, an extremely valuable asset for the modern wars. Chaos wants to connect them all to the realm of chaos because they are the easiest way to invade. Everyone else wants them to connect to the other realms to widen their power, or invade, or just to support. While the realms are thought to be infinite, there are still valuable resource and people's and relics to fight over, realmgates are a prime example.

It is implied there are other ways to travel between the realms. Like magic teleportation, skaven actually gnaw holes in reality and make their own mini portals, and there are even implications that airships might be able to travel between the realms. This empty space is not like our modern view of space (a vacuum featureless void) but more like a 1920s view of space, it's just dark skies. There are strange islands and rivers althoughout.

Now for the realm of fire, Aqshy. It is called the realm of fire because it was born of the magic wind of fire. This does not mean it's completely a burning lava hell hole, even though there is a lot of it. There is life and even peoples thriving in it, they're just especially hardy. Animals, plants, trees, etc. Not as lush as on the realm of life, but definitely there. The Grimnir worshipping halfnaked dwarfs, the Fyreslayers, originated there. Khorne especially wants the realm of fire and got a majority of his mortal followers there. Khorgus Khul, one of his greatest generals, is from there.

Feel free to ask more questions, I may get a chance to answer more in an hour or so

I've always liked the funny kind of setting where you can fly on wings between planets and worlds.

Kinda like Flash Gordon?

It is worth mentioning that the space between realms is basically pure magic, which is why the Kharadron Overlords wear the airtight suits.

Thank you both for helping out that clears up a lot!

So these chunks of land are made up of the old world yes? Where kingdoms rise and fall and civilizations come and go? How long has it been since this new state of affairs started with the floating land masses?

Ohyeah, and is there much written about the realm of death (since it's the one I'm most interested in)?

Thanks guys

They can float through the aether as they see fit right?

Nah, the Old world is gone, with only the solid core left that Sigmar keeps for himself.

Also, not all realms are floating ragged rocks, for example the realm of the heavens enjoys making little planetoids.

Realm of Death can range from Hilariously over the top MORTUARY FACTORIES to things like the Empires of the Black Sand, who are literally Tomb Kings hiding in the setting.

>So these chunks of land are made up of the old world yes?

No, they're made from magic. Realm of Fire is made from the Wind of Fire etc.

>How long has it been since this new state of affairs started with the floating land masses?

A long time. No one's sure how long, but long enough for people to spread all ove rthe Realms. The Age of Chaos came and lasted for about 200 years, now the Age of Sigmar is about 100 years old.

>Ohyeah, and is there much written about the realm of death (since it's the one I'm most interested in)?

It's visited fairly often. It's connected to Underworlds and Nagash an co. ruled there until Archaon smashed them up and imprisioned the majority of their armies.

what remains of the old world are either scattered beings like what became the new gods or the supposed oak of ages, and some relics, for example plaques the seraphon may go after, but if you're looking for the actual pieces of land of the old world you'll have to look up the palace of sigmar: the planetoid orbiting there is the solid core of the old world being mined for the metal that gets used to craft the weapons and armor of the space marines.

>how long has it been
time is practically meaningless due to magic, but we can estimate roughly "a very big lot"

>I don't think we've ever seen them touch.

They touch in some areas like Hammerhal.

Hammerhal connects through a Realmgate.

>who are literally Tomb Kings hiding in the setting.
soon?

Pretty much, yeah. Also think old space pirates. Swashbuckling without need of space suits

Don't you think realms will be much more interesting if they are fleshed out as non-gimmickish ? I'd like to see a city near a lake in the realm of fire. Not a lake of burning magma, but simply a culture of water people in the realm of fire.
If we get to know more about them soon I hope it will be something like it. What I really liked about the old world was that places like Nehekara had humans living together with undead, that Sylvania wasn't made entirely of undead, that there were people worshipping Chaos without instantly being corrupted into deamons but simply as a part of their culture.
That's what 40K lacks, and compensates with overly detailed politics and hierarchies in the different factions. Of course you don't build depth to a setting in two years, but still.
Also, squats get your own universe. The tyranids will come here too in three years or so, so just fuck off.
Also please tell me the Tomb Kings are coming back. Please.

No they don't. They wear the suits because the aether gold they mine, as well as other gaseous resources, are extremely hazardous to exposed skin and eyes and stuff. The Kharadron Overlords still have to use the realmgates to travel between realms.

Is the realm of fire dark souls?

Lol what the hell are mortuary factories?

Age of Chaos began 500 years ago when Sigmar closed the gates to Azyr. The Age of Sigmar began when Sigmar unleashed his Stormcast to reclaim the realms. The Season Of War takes place a year after that. Current books, except Plague Garden, take place a few generations after, at least three.

The realms can be more fleshed out, and I imagine they will, but theres a lot more than you realize about them already. Just look at the goofy maps people make fun of. All the detail tells a story and shows how varied the ecosystems can be. Of course there is water in Aqshy, humans could not survive without it. But like the desert denizens of our world, they can survive without lakes and rivers. I imagine there are underground currents and wells, and some plant life hoards it.

I am betting the rpg will provide us with more detail, and the novels themselves have cool stuff about the realms themselves, even if they're only hinted at.

Trying to use some Waywatchers in skirmish but can't figure a renown cost for them as I can't find a points cost for regular AoS rules. Anyone able to help?

If they're not in the skirmish book, they have no points. But it's really easy to find their points.

Take their points cost for matched play, divide it by the minimum number of models in the unit, then divide that by 5 to get each individual model's renown points.

For heroes not listed, it's simple. Just divide the points by 5 to get their renown. But practice restraint with that, skirmish is better themed for dudes on foot or on small mounts

Yeah that's what I mean, I can't find their matched play points cost anywhere for some reason.

Do people not bother to look in the compendium section of the points part in the ghb? There's an entire section after order pitched battle profiles. Your way watchers are there

I wasn't saying there was no water in the fire realm. I merely hoped for diverse cultural background and fluff for each region, like with WHFB
Otherwise I'm 100%with you. I'll definitely buy the RPG.

>What are realms?
Realities made from each of the winds of magic.

>Are they like planets, or like never ending stretches of land?

Not specified yet, somebits are floating islands other are small planetoids, but they are not endless. The Great Waaagh! lead by Gorkamorka reached the Realm's End and then went back to do it again.

>Do they touch or are realm gates the only connection?

As far as we know they don't touch but there are other ways to travel like space krakens.

>Is there really a whole plain that's on fire all the time?

Probably.

>They're collections of objects in space. This is part of the Realm of Fire for instance.

Specifically that's a sub-realm of Aqshy, real Aqshy is probably a lot bigger.

>Of course there is water in Aqshy, humans could not survive without it. But like the desert denizens of our world, they can survive without lakes and rivers. I imagine there are underground currents and wells, and some plant life hoards it.

Tephran Crater as sulphur-like plantlife, so there can probably different ways to replenish thirst that we do not know of.