EDH/Commander General /edhg/

"Unstable Has Broken Me" Edition

Last Thread: RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

>Veeky Forums EDH General Discord
discord.gg/UE9Vqzu

CARD SEARCH

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info/

Thread Question:
Did Maro keep his promise by putting riggers in Unstable?

Other urls found in this thread:

gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=373520
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/kawaii-vampire/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/smug-gitrog-frog/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I was looking into cards that may have some relation to the unknown commander, and here's Disciple of Phenax, a black cleric depicted as a rogue with a discard effect.

gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=373520

I also found out that there are a surprisingly large number of blue/black clerics. Could it be that the commander is both a cleric and a rogue having the prebuilt as UB clerics + rogues, allowing players to build fully for UB clerics or UB rogues?

Clerics without white would feel too bizarre.

What is the Cabal?

>Did Maro keep his promise by putting riggers in Unstable?
unequivocally yes

... From the same set as monowhite and W/B clerics?
Is this even a question?

>Onslaught block
>18 black clerics
>31 white clerics

>248 white clerics
>69 black clerics

Eat a dick.

> there are clerics that are black
> not all clerics are white or W/B
> you guys think you have disproven him
something something swans and shit.

What are some fun timmy wincons in UG that aren't "I combined these 2 cards, now I instantly win" or extra turn chaining

I mostly want to durdle around and not incur hate with my Rashmi deck, but as it is, my deck doesn't really do much besides bore people to death with constant instant speed fuckery

>clerics are primarily white so it would be weird to have Dimir clerics
>haHA here's a black cleric!
Esper would make some sense. Dimir doesn't.

My point is that clerics are an overwhelmingly white tribe, and a cleric edh deck without white would be like a zombie deck without black or a dragon deck without red. Possible, but not really worth it.

I currently have my new mono white deck filled with ice age snow plains. Most of my decks already have all snow basics so what is the spiciest plains art? I prefer old stuff so please suggest me good plains

Different poster, but that would imply that all the decks are at least part white. I know they said they were ignoring the colour wheel for what decks they chose, but I kinda feel they still wouldn't make all of them white. So in my mind the deck's probably not white so it's probably not clerics.

>going monoblack clerics makes sense because a few of them exist
Don't be so fucking retarded holy fucking shit.

Agreed. I think it's Dimir Rogues and Mardu vamps, so 3 white, 2 blue, 3 black, 2 red, 2 green.

Mind's Dilation is amazing in Rashmi

Yeah I got it and it's great, I just need more stuff like it

>Mind's Dilation, Hive Mind, Mind's Desire
This is my goal.

>the only thing missing is Jund

Not who brought it up, but if it was a phenax cult, or a cabal themed cleric deck, then having white clerics would not make sense.

jund wizards

And if it was a vampire army then black wouldn't make sense. Boros Vampires.

Should be Jund Saprolings

Literally what are you talking about?

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/kawaii-vampire/

Is there much point in Songs of the Damned if I'm not running creatures in my deck? Or better put, what card can I use to stick monsters into my graveyard?

What are some of your favourite non-legnadries you wanna have as a commander?

Help me /edhg/, you are my only hope.
I have a problem with building decks, and I want one that I can keep around for a while without getting bored of it like I usually do.
I'm currently playing either Naya 5 power tribal, Bant draw power, or Orzhov life shenanigans. None are very competitive (Karlov is probably the strongest deck but still).
With Hour of Devastation making so many cool commander cards, I've been thinking again about what to make. So far I have a few ideas:
1. Mono blue Sphinx tribal. Complete with draw hating shenanigans and hopefully the power house cards for mono color strategies
2. Mono red with the new Neheb, his lieutenant will be Heartless Hidetsugu for lots of mana to burn (again mono color good stuff)
3. Ghoulcaller Gisa. Half zombie tribal, half sacrifice shenanigans. I like her because she has a sac effect and creates things to sac.
4. Scarab God zombies. Like Gisa but blue and less sac.
5. Rakdos oppression with maybe stax-like effects but mostly discard to keep opponents kinda drained. Mix with light land destruction and good board state.
I can only afford to make one of these (probably not even) so which should I do? Or what are other suggestions to do?

you're aware that that is a valid commander, yes?

it's not actually a legal commander since it becomes a legendary first when it flips
probably not too hard to house rule him though

No it's not. Flip cards are formally the default side, which is Budoka Gardener, and non Legendary. Westvale Abbey isn't a legal commander, nor is Elbrus the Binding Blade.

well shit

what dumbfuckery

Any Boros dude that doesn't care about attacking is all I really want

Gisele burn? Run some spicy mass damage spells and shit like that?

Oh I'm also thinking of making either a Golgari or Jund token/sac commander using either Thelon of Havenwood or something like that. Again because I like sacrificing tokens but I need a way to make tokens easy.

>Did Maro keep his promise by putting riggers in Unstable?
no
should be black border

Ever been drawn to death by a 'hug' deck and forced to discard your entire hand multiple times and draw 7?

nth for fuck the steamflogger meme

Blaxos player here. How much protection do I need for my commander? My deck is essentially focused on casting him asap and then blowing through all of my enchantments to make beefy tokens. Im having trouble picking protection for him, as I'm realizing that he is extremely vulnerable to removal. Lightning greaves playable here, or should I just stick with Shielded by Faith, indestructible and etc?

depending on how they turn out in unstable, they might be printed in black too

however it feels weird to reprint the rigger when there's not gonna be support for it outside of unset

JUST

If you don't mind adding one color, this could be good. Passively enable inter-opponent aggression. You can get away with having only white and red spells with not even a forest if you have commander's sphere, darksteel ingot, etc to generate one green mana.

>people complain about riggers being silver bordered
>people complain about wotc printing bad cards in black borded sets

yall never happy

>Make riggers good cards in black border

I must be some kind of genius, I solved the mystery of how to make people happy

the problem is that happy people aren't as vocal as unhappy people

I really hope it is rogues, Edric could use more cool rogues rather than non-tribal 1/1 evasive dudes. Tragically, Leovold got banned, which ruined my nice Sultai-colored elf+faerie rogue tribal.

Remember when people bought these out because of Kaladesh... lol muh investments.

How to angel tribal EDH guys?

Google it

They've got no synergy. Sigarda 1.0 Selesnya Good Stuff.

angels don't have much synergy with themselves, your best bet is to just pick one and try to play good stuff + angels.dec in whatever colors you pick. If you're just playing casually with friends you could talk them into letting you houserule Maelstrom Angel as a commander so you can run 5c angels and just go nuts

When are they going to print more enemy wedge commanders? The current options are so meager I end up using partners most of the time, I guess they could print more partners too.

Bruna, the Fading Light reanimator/ETB exploitation. Throw in tax effects and have Brisela as a wincon. That's what I do with mine, at least.

>ywn be able to partner two of any mono commanders

Planning on making a mono-red Neheb deck and I have a question about Aggravated Assault:

Neheb reads "At the beginning of your postcombat main phase, add R to your mana pool for each 1 life your opponents have lost THIS TURN." Let's say I have enough mana floating from when I attacked to pay for AA's ability, giving me another combat phase and thus another postcombat main phase. Because they had already lost life before my additional combat, would I gain R equal to the life lost before and after it, seeing as how the turn hasn't yet ended? Essentially, I'm wondering if these two go infinite with each other.

> If you somehow have more than two main phases in a turn, each main phase after your first one is a postcombat main phase, and Neheb’s last ability triggers at the beginning of each of them.

I guess if you deal at least 5 damage to an opponent during the turn, then they go infinite by this logic.

yes it works like you think it does

enjoy tutoring for essential pieces in mono red

A buddy of mine was brewing Neheb for a while, seemed like a lot of fun. Lots of earthquake and X spells. That would be my recommendation. Make red great again

Yeah, that's my one of my many issues, along with draw....

>Abzan is either +1/+1 counters shit or reanimator shit
>Jeskai is either spells n shit or politics n shit
>Sultai is graveyard shenanigans or Damia
>Mardu is aggro strats or Queen Marchesa
>Temur is creatures matter or Intet

What other strategies would you want to see in Wedges that you couldn't already do with the ones you have?

>3 white, 2 blue, 3 black, 2 red, 2 green.
>2 blue, 2 red, 2 green
>blue, red, green
>Jund
>blue

What do?

Personally, I just put Neheb in Zada. It's pretty easy to draw half your deck with Zada and something like Expedite.

this isn't really as powerful as people make it out to be. you need a creature that can score without being blocked as damage is not removed. you also need an x spell to take care of the guy with taxes deck you can't attack the first few turns.

that is some straight up kung fu shit right there.
actually aikido? judo?

I'll just put Neheb in my Neheb. I never have to worry about card draw that way, in both senses.

What's the best way to play "Fuck and fuck your hand", mono B or Rakdos?

Rakdos, no question

Golgari.

I'm pretty new to EDH and currently trying to build a Brago deck
Would 30 lands be enough, considering that I have 10 mana rocks that, thanks to Brago and other cards in my deck, I can flick and have them come back untapped after having used them?

Not unless the rocks are all Mana Crypt, Mox Opal, and Sol Ring. You should pack around 35 lands just to get consistent land drops until you can establish Brago.

number of lands depends on your mana curve, 30 is way too low regardless. 35-38 is a much safer starting point that you can adjust later based on testing.

Brago's effect also specifies NONLAND permanents

I was referring to the mana rocks, not the lands
Thanks, anyway, I'll try to add more lands

usually the lowest land count you want is 33-34, and that's only in specific circumstances and you know exactly what you're doing. any lower than that and you're going to face a lot of very risky 2-land hands that go nowhere.

my newest rashmi prototype is the only deck where i've gone as low as 33-34, and that's because the deck only needs to get 3 guaranteed land drops, after which it draws about 2-4 cards per turn rotation and will get crazy flooded without a lowish land count

Only problem is Deflecting Palm works on a single source, whereas Blood of the Martyrs can have any number of redirected sources.

>Mad Science set
>CON-FUCKING-TRAPTIONS
>it's an Un-set
Oh well bollocks. Hopefully it at least has some not too far-fetched legends like Frankie Peanuts that you could houserule in EDH

my assessment goes like this

Nath is good if you want to have a tryhard deck that either wrecks everyone's hands by turn 4 or loses. Also has the best answers in its colors

Mono-B has big black mana and other mono-B pecularities (Contamination, etc), and still have plenty of ways to discard people's stuff

Rakdos has the funnest flavor but probably isn't that strong

I'm looking for some help with this deck. I am thinking of getting Dark Depths or Asuza, but probably not both. Also just looking for general nombos I might've missed.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/smug-gitrog-frog/

if you can afford a gaeas cradle, get a crucible of worlds

That's a bit out of my price range. Is Crucible of Worlds better than Dark Depths?

How can you compare a land that does nothing with your strategy to an artifact that's basically vital to abuse your commander?

I suppose you're right. Plus all the Wastelands in the deck will get that much better.

How much of a target do I become with Strip mine and Crucible on the battle field?

I mean i can see why you would be running Dark Depths+Thespian Stage combo since you can tutor it with Hour of Promise but first i would get a Crucible in there. Strip Mine+Crucible even if it makes you destroy only a couple lands a turn get's hated pretty fast, i wouldn't personally run it, if you need LD use a Ghost Quarter to blow up Cradles and Coffers so you people don't think you're a douche.

You commander is a 3CMC 2/2 ZOMBIE in BW. Getting him back shouldn't be too hard. Consider
Unholy Grotto
Relentless Dead
Sun Titan
Reveillark/Karmic Guide
Sheoldred
Debtor's Knell
Phyrexian Reclamation

Rules Committee dumbfuckery is what dumbfuckery.

I see. Thanks for the advice.

am i dumb or is there another card with sigarda's ability?

Melira

woops thought of solemnity and poison

its Tajuru Preserver

Solitary confinement.

Quick question about stuff like this

If I cast Torment of Hailfire while one of Sigarda or Tajuru is out, would they have to discard or lose 3 life as their only options or would they be able to choose sacrifice every time and not have to sacrifice anything at all?

>5/1/2012: As a spell or ability an opponent controls resolves, if it would force you to sacrifice a permanent, you just don’t. That part of the effect does nothing. If that spell or ability gives you the option to sacrifice a permanent (as Brain Gorger’s ability does), you can’t take that option.
>5/1/2012: If a spell or ability an opponent controls instructs you to perform an action unless you sacrifice a permanent (as Ogre Marauder does), you can’t choose to sacrifice a permanent. You must perform the action. On the other hand, if a spell or ability an opponent controls instructs you to sacrifice a permanent unless you perform an action (as Killing Wave does), you can choose whether or not to perform the action. If you don’t perform the action, nothing happens, since you can’t sacrifice any permanents.

>I wanna play boros desu
>but the combat step is too main stream for me
maybe you should pick a different fucking color pair then

Thank you kindly, user

Shattergang bros goblin/land destruction tribal

>make tokens and sac
>make artifacts and sac
>targeted land destruction

So many options for Chucklefuck Brothers

Do you guys like to play with Monarch rules?

Yes, it'd be neat if there were more playable cards (other than Queen) to put the monarch card on the table.

"monarch rules" is like saying "planeswalker rules" it's a part of the game where the cards that produce the Monarch Emblem are legal

that said, yes. Boros loves getting cards via combat

i love conspiracy mechanics, wanna build a queen deck one day