5e D&D Race Conversions

1d4chan.org/wiki/List_of_D&D_PC_Races

There's a ridiculously huge array of races that've come out in D&D over the past decades, and most of these have yet to appear in 5e. So, I'm offering you anons the chance to make requests for races and subraces you'd like to see get brought over for 5th edition.

This thread's specialty is... Subraces and Beastfolk! Variants of the Dwarf, Elf, Gnome and Halfling, and beastman races, are D&D's oldest and most widespread categories of racial diversity in D&D. Want a 5e Seacliff Dwarf? Gnoll? Golden Halfling? Ratfolk? Make the request and I'll get right on it with extra speed.

Other urls found in this thread:

forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Thayan_orc
ericlboyd.com/dnd/realms_bestiary_v1.pdf.zip
lomion.de/cmm/orcneoor.php
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Y'know what? Just for reference, in 3e alone, these are the variant strains that came out for the iconic quartet of demihumans:

Dwarf:
Glacier Dwarf
Badlands Dwarf
Seacliff Dwarf
Dragonlance Dark Dwarf
Faerun Arctic Dwarf
Urdunnir
Wild Dwarf
Stone Dwarf

Elf:
Snow Elf
Painted Elf
Aquatic Elf
Dragonlance Aquatic Elves (Dargonesti, Dimernesti)
Avariel

Gnome:
Ice Gnome
Wavecrest Gnome
Arcane Gnome
River Gnome

Halfling:
Tundra Halfling
Shoal Halfling
Athasian Halfling
Golden Halfling

Bumping this because... well, really? Nobody's interested at all?

What grinds my gears is that over half of the races in 5e have darkvision and it makes it very hard to run night time surprises or traps in the dark because of this and I can't keep using fog and mist as a dark proxy.

You do realize 3/4 of the iconic races have had lowlight or dark vision for the bast 3 editions right?

Also dark vision is still dim light and so lightly obscured and in shades of gray in darkness, not full vision.

Fuck it, I'll bite.

Give me all the gnomes.

Sure thing - the Ice & Wavecrest Gnomes were rather gimmicky, so I'm game to discuss better crunch than what I gave them.

Gnome Subrace: River Gnome
Ability Score Increase: +1 Dexterity
Waterborn: You have a Swim speed of 30 feet.
Deep Diver: You can hold your breath for 4 + Constitution modifier minutes, instead of the normal 1 + Constitution modifier minutes.

Gnome Subrace: Arcane Gnome
Ability Score Increase: +1 Charisma
Mage-Trained: You have Proficiency in Intelligence (Arcana).
Magic in the Blood: You can cast the Prestidigitation cantrip and 1 other Wizard cantrip of your choice. Intelligence is your casting ability score when casting cantrips granted to you by this trait.

Gnome Subrace: Ice Gnome
Ability Score Increase: +1 Constitution
Arctic Dweller: You have Resistance to Cold damage and Advantage on Survival checks made in arctic climates.

Gnome Subrace: Wavecrest Gnome
Born to the Brine: You have Advantage on Survival checks made in oceanic and coastal environments. Additionally, you can drink salt water with no ill effects if you succeed on a DC 8 Constitution saving throw.
Seaman's Eyes: You have Advantage on Intelligence checks made relating to boatcraft or sailing, including predicting the weather.

Can you do Aranea and Lupin, both from the Savage Coast Mystara setting?

There are also the Jungle, Desert, and Shadow variants of these races. Shadow Elf =/ Drow.

I've been trying to get those two races right for ages, they're two of my favorite classic races.

Aranea
Ability Score Increase: +2 Intelligence, +1 Charisma
Size: Medium
Speed: 30 feet
Darkvision
Arcane Birthright: You know the Prestidigitation cantrip and 1 other cantrip of your choice from the Wizard spell list. Intelligence is your casting ability score when using these cantrips
Spider Climb: You have a Climb speed of 30 feet and do not need to make an ability check to climb difficult surfaces, including upside down underneath ledges or along a ceiling.
Venomous Bite: As an action you may make a melee attack against an adjacent target. On a hit, you deal 1d8 poison damage. This damage increases by 1d8 at levels 5 (2d8), 11 (3d8), and 17 (4d8). You have Advantage when delivering a Venomous Bite to a target that is grappled or restrained.
Fling Webbing: As an action you may make a ranged attack with a range of 30/60ft. On a hit, the target is Restrained until it passes a Strength check (DC 8 + your proficiency modifier + your Constitution modifier). Your webbing can be attacked as an object by someone seeking to cut through it, in which case it has AC 10, HP 5 + your level, vulnerability to fire, and immunity to bludgeoning, poison and psychic. This ability can be used once per short or long rest.

Ability Score Modifier: +1 Wisdom
Vision: Darkvision
Lupine Senses: A lupin has Advantage on Wisdom (Perception) checks where its keen sense of hearing and scent are relevant, but suffers Disadvantage on Constitution saves against attacks based on odor or sound, such as a banshee's cry or a ghast's stench.
Subrace: Choose between the Tribal, Nomadic or Renardie Lupin subraces.

Tribal Lupin
Ability Score Increase: +1 Strength, +1 Constitution
Plains Hunter: A Tribal Lupin's Movement increases to 35 feet. Additionally, a Tribal Lupin does not suffer movement penalties from difficult terrain in grassland environments.
Run With The Pack: A Tribal Lupin adds double its proficiency bonus to Wisdom (Animal Handling) checks made with wolves or wolf-like magical beasts, including giant wolves, dire wolves and worgs.

Nomadic Lupin
Ability Score Increase: +1 Constitution, +1 Dexterity
Hardy Scavenger: Nomadic Lupins have Advantage on saves against disease and the poisoned effect.
Cobble Together: A Nomadic Lupin has Proficiency with Tinker's Tools, and Advantage on any check made to use those tools to try and reassemble, repair or otherwise restore functionality to a degraded or damaged tool, weapon or suit of armor.

Renardie Lupin
Ability Score Increase: +1 Intelligence, +1 Charisma
A Civilised Weapon: A Renardie Lupin has proficiency with the Rapier.
Vintner's Palate: A Renardie Lupin adds double its proficiency bonus to Constitution checks made to avoid being affected by alcohol, and to Intelligence (History and Investigation) checks made in relation to alcohol and brewing.

What sourcebooks do those come from? Badlands Dwarves and Painted Elves come from Sandstorm, and there was no Jungle Sourcebook for 3.5 that I'm aware of.

Tanarukk

I'm also interested in feyri and wild dwarves.

I could also go for some large creature races. Ogre, minotaur, dragon kingdoms, and half ogres in particular.

Alright, this is based on the original version from 3.5, not the psycho demon-orc barbarian of 4e and 5e.

Tanarukk
Ability Score Modifiers: +2 Strength, +1 Dexterity
Speed: 25 Feet
Vision: Darkvision
Warrior Born and Bred: You have Proficiency with all Martial Melee Weapons.
Spawn of the Flames: You have Resistance to Fire and can cast the Control Flames and Fire Bolt cantrips, both using Strength as the casting ability score.

Dwarven Subrace: Wild Dwarf
Ability Score Increase: +1 Strength
Swift-Footed: Your movement speed increases to 30 feet.
The Hunter's Arsenal: You have Proficiency with Blowguns, Longbows, the Herbalist's Kit and the Poisoner's Kit. This replaces Dwarven Combat Training and Tool Proficiency.
Stalk The Wild: You have Advantage on Stealth checks. This replaces Stonecunning.

Fey'ri
Ability Score Modifiers: +2 Intelligence, +1 Charisma
Vision: Darkvision 60 feet
Elven Lineage: You are immune to Magical Sleep effects and have Advantage on saving throws against the Charmed effect. You trigger effects that key off of race as if you were an Elf, both positive and negative.
Trance: You only need to spend 4 hours in a meditative trance, in which you retain full awareness of your surroundings, to gain the benefits of 8 hours of sleep.
Fiendish Ancestry: Choose one of the following racial traits.
* Winged: You have a Fly speed of 30 feet, though you cannot fly if you are encumbered or wearing Medium armor or Heavy armor.
* Fiendish Resilience: You have Resistance to Fire and Advantage on saving throws against the Poisoned condition.
* Wicked Charms: You can cast the Friends cantrip. At 3rd level, you can cast Charm Person as a 1st level spell. At 5th level, you can cast Suggestion as a 2nd level spell. Once you cast Charm Person or Suggestion with this trait, you cannot use it again until you complete a long rest. Charisma is your spellcasting ability score for this trait.

Wow, you work quick. Thanks!

How about dragonkin (monsters of faerun).

They seem to be what 4e dragonborn were mimicking and making crappy.

Large dragon people, complete with wings.

Would be useful for me to do cult of the dragon plots.

Id also be interested in half ogre (based on savage species) (I'd look at bugbear for that) and ogre (I dunno how I'd handle that)

Well, in fairness, I had Tanarukks written before you asked. I'll take a shot at Dragonkin, but, I'm leery of doing them as truly Large, so let's see what they look like with Powerful Build.

As for Ogre... honestly, I'll give it a shot if you insist, but me personally, I'd just reskin or reflavor (is there a difference?) the Goliath statblock.

The difference being that I don't think you can reasonably do them without them being large.

10 feet tall, 700 lbs, large sized reach, natural armor, dark vision.

Thats what makes them not Goliaths.

Thanks for the work! Have a smug dog.

>They seem to be what 4e dragonborn were mimicking and making crappy.

4e Dragonborn were pretty good. They fit well into the setting and were a lot better than 3.5's Dragonborn.

Well, this is my first draft; see for yourself.

Dragonkin
Ability Score Modifiers: +2 Strength, +1 Charisma
Powerful Build: You are treated as being one size category larger to determine your capacity to Push, Pull, Drag, Lift and Carry.
Winged: You have a Fly speed of 30 feet, though you cannot fly if wearing medium or heavy armor, or if you are encumbered.
Natural Armor: Your scaly hide gives you an unarmored AC of 13 + your Dexterity modifier. When wearing armor , you benefit from whichever AC value is higher. A shield's benefits apply as normal when using your natural armor.
Raking Claws: You have claws, which you can use as a natural weapon when making an unarmed strike. This allows you to inflict 1d6 + Str modifier Slashing damage instead of the normal bludgeoning damage for an unarmed strike. You have a Reach of 10 feet when making unarmed strikes.
Taste for Magic: You have the ability to tell if any visible creature or object is magical, which takes the form of seeing a visible aura around that creature or object.

Appreciate it! I could really use a hand with reworking the Lupin, because it feels like all it has are ribbons. I'm worried they're underpowered.

As for the dragonkin;

9 feet tall, claws, wings, dark vision, natural armor, natural armor.

Tricky to do, naturally.

Im iffy on "reach 10, but only when unarmed". It doesn't make sense given that the claws in question are on their hands.

Can a 9 foot tall creature actually be medium?

Claw Attack = Unarmed Strike, in case you were misunderstanding that, but maybe it is more sensible to give them a standard 10ft reach.

As for size... Firbolgs and Goliaths are both about 9ft tall, and they both get Powerful Build. The ability to upgrade the damage dice for weapons is something that 5e is never going to put into PC hands, so race traits to simulate largeness are the best we can really do.

>upgrade weapon damage
Is sized weapon damage even a thing in 5e? I'd have thought an ogre with a greataxe did the same weapon damage dice as a human with a greataxe in this edition.

Let's see... Ogre Greatclub (MM): 2d8, +4 due to being Str 19.

Greatclub damage in PHB: 1d8

So, yeah, size categories upping damage dies is a thing in 5e.

Add in the potential for hindering the party getting around - the old "so, what the hell use to me is the Paladin's Steed when I can't ride it in the dungeon?" query and that's basically why Large or bigger PCs aren't a thing in 5e.

(looking stuff up)
Goliaths are 7-8 feet instead of 8-9. Dragonkin are bigger

Then shrink the Dragonkin down. That's what they did to Firbolgs in Volo's Guide - they used to be 9ft to 10ft tall.

You can't have truly Large sized PCs in 5e. The game can't run it. You try asking about it in /5eg/, they'll laugh you right out the place.

Not all campaigns take place in a dungeon, though.

Fair enough regarding weapon damage. It's really inconsistent that there's no weapon sizes for small and medium creatures though, isn't it.

I don't think I would have increased weapon damage if I allowed large pcs, I'd just call that part of "monsters use different rules". Because small creatures don't use a smaller damage die in 5e.

As far as Im concerned, large size = space + reach + push/pull/carry

If you have large push/pull/carry, and large reach, all you're missing that matters is area coverage.

5e numbers don't scale like in 3.5e anyways.

But teacup giants arent giants at all.

Is getting on for the evening in my part of the world; any last requests before I have to sign off in a few hours?

Faerunian Human Subraces would be awesome, even if not for tonight.

Here's the thing, though; aside from the Human Race in 5e not being based on a subrace setup, what would Faerunian subraces actually do? I'm literally looking through Races of Faerun as I write this, and all they really suggest are background flavors rather than anything with a mechanical difference.

Racial feats, typically. But I was just thinking they did MtG human subraces.

Unearthed Arcana

Okay, I have to turn in for the night. If you anons can keep this thread from dying, I'll hit up what races I think I can make a decent attempt at in the morning.

Human subraces bump.

The following Elven subraces would be dope:

>Aquatic elves
This time being able to breathe both in and outside of water because it's retarded that they'd die by breathing air.

>Lycan elves
Because they were werewolf the PC race without being broken.
Just give them a shapechange into wolves of appropriate CR once per rest.

>Avian elves
In all their FREEDOM *eagle screeching* glory and with their dragon hating boners.

>Space elves
Just so players can dick each other over by banishing them selves to another plane. + a minor teleportation power would fit with them really well.

>Rock elves
Slenderman the race.
Also nice to play an elf that's almost 8ft tall and can grab enemies from a far with his lanky arms.
Oh and don't forget the horror of them dropping from the cieling thanks to being able to climb like lizards.

Other things that i'd like to see are human subraces divided into: lowland, seafaring, nomadic and hill-land.

I'd like to see painted elves and badlands dwarfs, thank you very much.

I really don't know how to pull human subraces off, though. Usually they just boil down to flavor text in D&D.

No idea about the Space/Rock elves, having never heard of them, but I'll get to work on the Lycari(?) and the Avariel when it's a decent time and not the middle of the night.

For the Aquatic Elf, does it hve to be the "pure" aquatic elf, or will the Dargonesti/Dimernesti from Dragonlance (aquatic elves + shapeshifters) do?

Painted Elves and Badlands Dwarves will be done once it's not midnight in the middle of winter, then, if the thread can last another couple of hours.

Bump for great justice

Dwarven Subrace: Badlands Dwarf
Ability Score Increase: +1 Wisdom
Desert Born: You are Acclimatized to Extreme Heat, which means you are immune to the Exhaustion loss caused by Extreme Heat (DMG pg 110). Additionally, you only need a half of a gallon of water per day, or one gallon in hot weather, and have Advantage on the Constitution save against Exhaustion caused by not drinking sufficient daily water.
Waterwise: When making a Wisdom (Survival) check relating to finding water, or an Intelligence (History) relating to the origin of architectural and natural features that involve water, you are considered Proficient in the relevant skill and apply double your Proficiency bonus, instead of your normal proficiency bonus. This trait replaces Stonecunning.

Elven Subrace: Painted Elf
Ability Score Increase: +1 Wisdom
Desert Born: You are Acclimatized to Extreme Heat, which means you are immune to the Exhaustion loss caused by Extreme Heat (DMG pg 110). Additionally, you only need a half of a gallon of water per day, or one gallon in hot weather, and have Advantage on the Constitution save against Exhaustion caused by not drinking sufficient daily water.
Master of the Dunes: You have Proficiency in Survival.

Elven Subrace: Avariel
Ability Score Increase: +1 Charisma
Winged Elf: You have a Fly speed of 30 feet. You cannot fly if you are wearing medium armor or heavy armor. You cannot fly if you are encumbered. When using flight to travel long distances, you must make a Constitution saving throw for every 2 hours of flight (DC 10 + 1 per 2 hours); on a failed save, you gain a level of exhaustion.

Elven Subrace: Lythari
Run With The Pack: You have Advantage on Animal Handling checks made with wolves and wolf-like creatures, such as dire wolves.
Lupine Shifter: You are a therianthropic shapeshifter, capable of shifting between the form of an elf, a wolf, or a hybrid of the two. As an action, you can shift into any one of your three forms.
* Hybrid Form is your default form. It functions as normal for a character.
* In your Elven Form, you gain Advantage on all Charisma (Deception) checks made to pass yourself off as an elf. It otherwise functions as Hybrid Form.
* In your Wolf Form, your game statistics are replaced by the statistics of a wolf, but retaining your alignment, personality, Intelligence, Wisdom and Charisma scores. You also retain all of your skill and saving throw proficiencies, in addition to gaining those of the wolf; if you and the wolf have the same proficiency and the wolf’s bonus is higher than yours, you use the wolf’s bonus.
* Changing shapes does not alter your current hit points, maximum hit points, or hit dice.
* You can remain in any of these three forms as long as you wish, but must consciously choose to change shapes.
* You can change shapes once at 1st level, twice at 5th level, and thrice at 11th level. You regain all expended uses of this trait when you complete a long rest.
* If you have exhausted your uses of shapeshifting, you can revert back to hybrid form, but you cannot then change again into beast or human form.
* At 11th level, you gain the ability to turn into a Dire Wolf instead of a Wolf. This follows all the normal rules for assuming wolf form.

Elven Subrace: Rockseer Elf
Ability Score Increase: +1 Intelligence
Earth Glide: You have a Burrow speed of 20 feet. When you burrow, you meld into the earth, leaving no visible trace of your presence. Other creatures cannot follow you on the path you take whilst burrowing, nor can you take another creature with you.
Stone Shaper: You can cast the Mold Earth cantrip, using Intelligence as your spellcasting ability score.

So, anons, just how massively overpowered are these latest bouts of critters? I start these threads because I want to hone my 5e racebuilding skills, but the nuances of balance, alas, continue to escape me.

aquatic people or merfolk. the different races have a functional purpose in alot of games: introduce the players to a area of the world. dwarfs live in mountains and underdark, and introduce the palyers to it. elfs live in the forest/feywild and introduce the players to it. orcs live in the mountains and tundra and swamps, and introduce toe players to it. who intorduces the players to the ocean? no one.
some user on Veeky Forums made this a while back

A question for 5eg I would imagine.

Im personally very comfortable with disproportionately "powerful" races so long as they don't have too many synergizing mathematical bonuses.

Generally if it's "separate options" instead of "stacking options" i dont see a problem.

But the folks in 5eg seem far more concerned with balancing the variety of options races get, as well.

Uh, do you want aquatic people (Atlantean-style water-breathing humanoids)?

Or merfolk specifically?

There's already a canon version of the former in the Tritons from Volo's Guide to Monsters, is all.

So, question; with the list up the top for reference, are there any races that anons were honestly surprised to hear have had D&D statblocks in the past?

Bumping for more requests, going to grab some eats, will attack any requests left here upon my return.

Back and here all day, ready to answer what requests I can.

Satyr or Faun?

Poison dusk, blackscale, and troglodyte lizard folk. Maybe also lizard kings.

Other types of yuan-ti?

Playable sarrukh?

More lizard people

Satyr
Ability Score Modifiers: +2 Dexterity, +1 Charisma
Vision: Normal
Fey Ancestry: You have Advantage on saving throws against the Charmed effect, and are immune to magical effects that induce Sleep.
Light of Heart: You have Advantage on saving throws against Fear.
Sweet Tongue: You have Proficiency in Deception.
Horned Headbutt: You have horns, which are a natural weapon you can use to make an unarmed strike. When making a headbutt attack, you inflict 1d6+Str modifier Bludgeoning damage instead of the normal unarmed strike damage.

Racial Feat: Panpiper
Prerequisite: Satyr race
Effect: You gain proficiency in Panpipes, which are a musical instrument. You can create a set of panpipes as part of a long rest. You can use a set of panpipes that you created to cast the following spells: Charm Person as a 1st level spell, Sleep as a 1st level spell, Calm Emotions as a 2nd level spell, or Fear as a 3rd level spell. You must be at least 5th level to use the Calm Emotions spell, and at least 7th level to use the Fear spell. You can only cast one spell from your panpipes each day, and then they are useless until you complete a long rest. These pipes have no magical effect for anyone other than you.

GitH (githyanki , githzerai, gith pirate (2e spelljammer), gith (dark sun).

Preferable all based on pre-3e sources. 3e/4e gith are kindof bastardized.

For abilities that are too op for a player race, perhaps racial feats.

Of the big 4, only 2/4 had it, and only dwarves could see in the dark.

Got any sources on the Poison Dusk and Blackscales?

Not sure I can handle yuan-ti... playable Sarrukh might be doable, though.

Will Gurrash (gator-folk from Mystara) and/or Caymas (Small-sized caiman-folk from Mystara) be acceptable?

What about Wallaras (chameleon-men)?

Are Dray - a sort of proto-Dragonborn concept from Dark Sun - acceptable?

I'll need to double-check the AD&D Monstrous Index for Pirate & Degenerate Gith, but I'm uncertain if they can work.

As for the mainstream Gith...

Hmm. What did you base this one on?

5e mm or something? Looks different than what I'm used to them having in the 3.5 mm.

I feel like it should also have proficiency on perception, darkvision, and a vulnerability to cold iron.

I'm unsure about elven resistance to charm and sleep being added.

Other than that i like it.

Poison dusk is mm3.

I can't recall what source blackscale was in if not the same one.

I'm unfamiliar with the ones you've listed, but am interested in all forms of lizard people for a campaign themed around it.

Githyanki
Ability Score Modifiers: +2 Intelligence, +1 Strength or +1 Constitution
Hate Breaks All Shackles: You have Advantage on saving throws against the Charmed and Stunned effects, and on saving throws to end those effects.
Mind Slicer: While you wield a weapon that inflicts Slashing damage, you can spend an action to “charge” that weapon with psionic energy. Whilst charged, that weapon inflicts an additional +1d6 Psychic damage on a successful strike. Maintaining this psionic charge is a Concentration effect. Once you have used this trait, you cannot use it again until you complete a long rest.
Pain Becomes Strength: Once per turn, when you take damage from an enemy attack, you can spend your Reaction to make an immediate melee attack. Additionally, if you have exhausted your Mind Slicer ability, you can choose to spend one hit dice to reactivate it instead of waiting to take a short rest.
Hand of Will: You can cast the Mage Hand cantrip, using Intelligence as your spellcasting ability score. Your Mage Hand is invisible, unlike the normal version.

Githzerai
Ability Score Modifiers: +2 Wisdom, +1 Intelligence or +1 Dexterity
Shield of Will: You can cast a variant of Mage Armor once per long rest. This variant grants an AC of 13 + your Wisdom modifier and does not require a material component.
Fortress of Discipline: You have Advantage on saving throws against Charm, Paralyzed and Stunned effects.
Fluid as Thought: Once per round, if an attack made against you misses, you can spend your Reaction to move 5 feet.
Hand of Will: You can cast the Mage Hand cantrip, using Wisdom as your spellcasting ability score. Your Mage Hand is invisible, unlike the normal version.

Mostly the 5e monster manual version; it lacks Darkvision (I don't recall them having it in 4e either - Low-Light, yeh, but not Dark), and at passive Perception 12 I wouldn't say it warrants a free Perception proficiency.

Also, Cold Iron doesn't exist in 5e anymore, so there's no real point to give them that trait.

As for Fey Ancestry... well, it's literally the only "you're a fey creature" racial trait we have, and Satyrs are a fey creature.

I think they were both an MM3 critter. Not sure what they really have going for them to distinguish them from common lizardfolk, but I'll give them a try. And if you want Gurrash, Caymas, Wallaras and Dray, I'll see about cooking them up too.

Cayma
Ability Score Modifiers: +2 Dexterity, +1 Intelligence
Size: Small
Riverspawn: You have a Swim Speed of 30 feet and can hold your breath for 15 minutes, instead of the normal 1 + Con modifier minutes.
Armored Scales: When not wearing armor, your AC is 13 + your Dexterity modifier. You can use your natural armor to determine your AC if the armor you wear would leave you with a lower AC. A shield's benefits apply as normal while you use your natural armor.
Eager Student: You have Proficiency in one Wisdom or Intelligence skill of your choice.
Curse of the Failed Artisan: You suffer Disadvantage on any Intelligence check or Wisdom check made in relation to architecture or engineering.

Gurrash
Ability Score Modifiers: +2 Strength, +1 Constitution
Powerful Build: You are treated as being one size category larger to determine your Pushing, Pulling, Lifting, Dragging and Carrying Capacities.
Terrible Rage: Once per long rest, as a bonus action, you can enter a berserk rage. This state lasts for 1 minute, during which time you have Advantage on Strength checks and Strength saving throws, and a +1 damage bonus on melee weapon attacks using Strength, and Resistance to Bludgeoning, Piercing and Slashing Damage. Your rage ends prematurely if your are knocked unconscious, end your turn without having attacked a hostile creature or taken damage since your last turn, or choose to spend a bonus action to do so. If you have the Rage class ability, increase your Rages per Day by +1 instead.
Aquatic Predator: You have a Swim Speed of 30 feet and you can hold your breath for 20 minutes, instead of the normal 1 + Constitution modifier minutes.
Bite: Your fang-filled maw is a natural weapon that you can use to make an Unarmed Strike. A bite attack inflicts 1d6 + Str modifier Piercing damage instead of the normal bludgeoning damage.
Armored Scales: When not wearing armor, your AC is 13 + your Dexterity modifier. You can use your natural armor to determine your AC if the armor you wear would leave you with a lower AC. A shield's benefits apply as normal while you use your natural armor.

Wallara
Ability Score Modifiers: +2 Wisdom, +1 Dexterity
Chameleonic Scales: You have Proficiency in Stealth. At 5th level, you can cast Invisibility as a 2nd level spell on yourself. This Invisibility requires no material component, uses Wisdom as its spellcasting ability score, and cannot be cast if you are wearing medium or heavy armor. Once you have used this innate Invisibility, you cannot use it again until you complete a long rest.
Survivors of the Outback: You have Proficiency in the Survival and Nature skills.

Dray
Ability Score Modifier: +1 Constitution
Sunlight Sensitivity: You suffer Disadvantage on Attack Rolls and on Wisdom (Perception) checks based on sight made whilst either you or the thing you are attacking/studying is in direct sunlight.
Born to Scorching Sands: You have Resistance to Fire Damage. Additionally, you only need a half of a gallon of water per day, or one gallon in hot weather, and have Advantage on the Constitution save against Exhaustion caused by not drinking sufficient daily water.
With Fang and Claw: You possess fangs and claws, which function as natural weapons. When making an unarmed strike, you can choose to use your claw attack (1d6 + Str modifier Slashing damage) or bite attack (1d4 + Str modifier Piercing damage) instead of your fist (normal Unarmed Strike). If you have the Martial Arts class feature, you can use your Martial Arts damage dice when making a claw or bite attack, although the damage remains Slashing or Piercing as appropriate.
Subrace: Choose between the First Generation Dray or Second Generation Dray to determine the rest of your racial abilities.

1st Generation Dray:
Ability Score Modifier: +2 Strength
Atavistic Fury: You have a +1 bonus to Attack rolls and Damage rolls when using your claw attack and bite attack.

2nd Generation Dray:
Ability Score Modifier: +1 Strength, +1 Intelligence
Superior Darkvision: Your Darkvision has a range of 120 feet instead of 60 feet.
Trained to Inherit: You have Proficiency in one skill of your choice and in one martial weapon of your choice.

Poisondusk camouflage, and are small size.

They all do different niches

Cold iron doesn't exist in 5e? Huh.
What about just an iron vulnerability?
Just a thought.

And yeah, it was always lowlight vision.
But it was also lowlight vision for elves and cats. Lowlight is now darkvision 60.

They had alertness for free in 3.5, which was a +2 to perception skills.

I notice you don't include creature type, like mentioning that satyr are fey, not humanoid.
Is there a reason for that?

Right. I'll see if I can track them down. In the meanwhile, do you have any comments on the lizardkin I just posted?

I like them.

I notice they lack some of the the (admittedly powerful) iconic gith racial magics. Any chance of those being in added racial feats?

Thanks for the lizard people! Still interested in any more you can come up with!

Reading through them now.

These seem neat.

How does this interact with monk unarmed damage? Otherwise I like it.

This one seems weak. Contrast with Duergar.

I like these ones best of the bunch.

Can you define what those magics are? I'm checking over my own copy of old stuff, but whilst I know 'yanki have always been relegated to the Monster Manuals, this is what my old Planescape stuff says 'zerai PCs should have:

+1 Int and Dex, -1 Str and Wis, Can't be Lawful, Can only be Fighter (9th level), Wizard (12th level), Thief (15th level) or Fighter/Wizard multiclass, Infravision 60 feet, Githzerai Fighters & Thieves have Magic Resistance 5% per level (max 95%), which can potentially render magic items useless to them.

Both "A Player's Guide to the Planes" and "The Planewalker's Handbook" agree on this, with the latter adding that 'zerai PCs are supposed to have lost their innate plane shift ability.

Gurrash bite damage works the same way as lizardfolk bite damage. Whatever the official ruling is on that, I don't know.

As for Wallaras being weak... well, I'm not exactly adept at the balance guide myself, but they get three free skill proficiencies; I'm pretty sure most of the anons in the /5eg/ would call it overpowered, if you want to present it to them.

Oh I missed the stealth. I though it was just invis.

Main gith magic (in 2e) is at-will planeshift as per the 2e spell (both githyanki and githzerai).

I don't know how the I would work that in for 5e, but it's (AFAICT) the primary common racial ability of the gith.

Are they academically learned about nature? Why isn't it *just* survival?

I see. Well, I really don't think that any edition of D&D is going to let you have a 5th level spell that you can use at-will from level one. Not even 5e will grant that via a feat, no matter how powerful the Svirfneblin are.

Wallara lore is that they're basically a race of chameleonic lizardmen - yes, MEN, they're an all-male one-gender race that reproduces by placing their shed skins in magical shrines and hoping that the skin-bundle will magically be turned into a new baby wallara - who are shameless rip-offs of Australian Aborigines.

Basically? They grow up knowing how to track, how animals behave, and all the other lore that you need in order to survive as a Stone Age hunter-gatherer. Hence, Nature and Survival.

Oh. I agree, it's not suitable for level 1.

If i were to include it, it would have to be level-gated.

But setting-wise, they hatch and raise their children on different worlds, and then shift them home to the Astral once they're adults, because on the Astral nothing ages or grows.

In 3.x they had it as a limited use ability I believe.

But the shifting can be handled as race-specific magical items produced by Vlaakith or other 'yanki magical guilds, whilst the 'zerai don't have that problem due to not living on the Astral.

So, it can actually be written out of the race, or at least given an explanation where PCs can't use that power to their own advantage.

Like, they're born knowing that stuff, or they're raised to know it?

If the latter,
One approach you could Take (If it's truly universally learned) is to state that they get both skills but one counts as one of their L1 proficiencies.

Another approach could be to state that they are commonly learned and tack one or both of them onto the list of skills you can take at L1, regardless of class. That makes them very common, but not universal, and would make it a ribbon feature (imo).

Hmm.

I suppose retconning it to bea racially keyed item-based ability could be a good approach. I hadn't considered that.

Maybe... it was literally the best array of abilities I felt I could give them. For comparison, in AD&D, a Wallara PC had:

+1 Dex or Wis, -1 Strength
Vanish at will (treat as Dimension Door with range 120 feet instead of 360 feet)
Mimic Surroundings (Invisibility, self only) at will from 3rd level
Tracking proficiency for free and halve the normal penalty (other races: -6, Wallaras: -3)
Free proficiency in Ancient History and Local History
Restricted to "savage" kit versions of classes

Much more controllable that way. Just keep the PCs from getting their hands on it until you're ready, and it's fair.

Something that I think would be really awesome but would take some doing:

Much like revenant, universal subraces for half dragon, the various genasi, and heritage-flexible Tieflings and Aasimar.

Half-orc (grey, ondonti, orog, thayan red, thayan black)
Orc (Thayan red, Thayan black)

I don't think I've ever seen stats for Thayan orcs, just seen them talked about in the novels.

Alright, this race was never intended for PC use, but let's take a whack at it...

Gith of Wildspace
Ability Score Modifiers: +2 Intelligence, +1 Strength
Innured to Violence: You have Advantage on saving throws against Fear.
Scavenger's Hardiness: You have Resistance to Poison damage, Advantage on saving throws against the Poisoned condition, and Advantage on saving throws against disease.
Pirate's Training: You have Proficiency in one weapon of your choice from the following list: Longsword, Rapier, Scimitar, Shortsword. Additionally, you have Proficiency in one skill of your choice from the following list: Acrobatics, Athletics, Intimidation, Deception.

Full-blooded grey ondonti and orog orcs have already been converted in forgotten characters of the realms, which is a DMG product by a 3e era fr supplement writer, that covers a lot of faerun stuff 5e is missing(but not everything)

Are Thayan Orcs even different to normal orcs? I know Ondoti are, but I've never herd of Thayan Orcs, unless you mean the Neo-Orogs.

There's two breeds of orc created and used by the red wizards through cross breeding and magical experiments.

forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Thayan_orc

Apparently they have been statted once, in the unofficial bestiary of the realms for 3e.

Not published by wotc, but published by 2 forgotten realms authors.

ericlboyd.com/dnd/realms_bestiary_v1.pdf.zip

Yeah, from the sound of it, these are the monsters that TSR called the Neo-Orogs back in the days of AD&D.

lomion.de/cmm/orcneoor.php

If you want, I can try and do a Neo-Orog profile, but I have no access to Gray Orc, Ondonti or Orog stats you're talking about, so I can't try and come up with a Half-Orc derivative of either, I'm afraid.

Thayan orcs 3.x

Racial Abilities: Thayan orcs all possess the following racial traits:
• Medium-size
• Resistances (Ex): Thayan orcs are somewhat inured to extremes of temperature. They gain a +4 racial bonus to
Fortitude saves against cold and heat subdual damage (see page 86 of the Dungeon Master’s Guide).
• Scent (Ex): Thayan orcs have the scent ability, as detailed on page 10 of the Monster Manual or page 81 of the
Dungeon Master’s Guide.
• Darkvision (Ex): Thayan orcs have darkvision up to 60 feet.
• Light Sensitivity (Ex): Thayan orcs suffer a –1 penalty to attack rolls in bright sunlight or within the radius of a
daylight spell.
• Orc Blood: For all special abilities and effects, a Thayan orc is considered an orc. Thayan orcs, for example, can use
or create orc weapons and magic items with racially specific powers as if they were orcs.
In addition, Thayan black orcs possess the following racial traits:
• Base speed is 40 feet; a Thayan black orc’s gait is long and loping and they can cover great distances quickly.
• +2 Strength, +2 Dexterity, -2 Wisdom. They are quicker and smarter than most orcs, though not quite as strong.
• Thayan black orcs gain a +4 racial bonus to Hide checks.
• Thayan black orcs are proficient with the longsword and shortbow. All black orcs train with these weapons at a very
young age.
... (cont)

In addition, Thayan red orcs possess the following racial traits:
• Base speed 30 ft; a Thayan red orc’s gait is a bit shorter than their gray orc ancestors.
• Thayan red orcs have +2 natural armor.
• +4 Strength, -2 Wisdom. They are smarter than most orcs.
• Thayan black orcs are proficient with the greataxe and greatsword. All red orcs train with these weapons at a very
young age.
Automatic Languages: Mulhorandi and Orc. Bonus Languages: Damaran, Gnoll, Infernal, Rashemi, Tuigan,
Undercommon.
Favored Class: The Thayan black orc’s favored class is rogue and the Thayan red orc’s favored class is fighter.
Many Thayan black orcs gain levels as assassins and many Thayan red orcs gain levels as Thayan knights (see Lords of
Darkness). Thayan orc clerics worship Ilneval and can choose two of the following domains: Destruction, Evil, orc,
Planning, and War.
Level Adjustment: Thayan orcs are slightly more powerful and gain levels more slowly than most of the other
common races of Faerûn. A Thayan black or red orc PC’s effective character level (ECL) is its class level +1. For
example, a 5th-level Thayan black orc rogue has an ECL of 6 and is the equivalent of a 6th-level character. See the
Powerful Races sidebar on page 21 of the Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting for more information.

The others are in races of faerun. Want a dump of the writeups or do you have it?