They are virtually risk-free, and they will only go up in price. So, I wonder...

They are virtually risk-free, and they will only go up in price. So, I wonder, do organized criminals buy Duals and Power to hide their stolen money? It seems like a smart idea.

>investing in paper
An actual smart idea for Chinese organized crime would be to find a cost-effective way to make near-perfect replicas of mtg cards, both in color and in feel. Then they could sell those and undercut the entire market.

Happened not that long ago.

Thing is that

1. Proxies aren't perfect enough to be all going around and causing problems.
2. People feel bad about buying chinaman when other people had to pay more (and also don't want to get caught, however slim)
3. They haven't managed to copy the M15 Holofoil.

>1. Proxies aren't perfect enough to be all going around and causing problems.
Right, that's why I said they should find ways to make it so that the rosette test and light tests pass with proxies

>2. People feel bad about buying chinaman when other people had to pay more (and also don't want to get caught, however slim)
Do they? In order to play Legacy or Vintage these days you basically have to proxy. I don't think I would feel bad, and the proxy market is only growing.

>3. They haven't managed to copy the M15 Holofoil.
Probably because there aren't a lot of holofoil cards worth copying.

Yes. At least one pro has done this (Chapin, I think) to hide his drug money.

Nigga, organized crime is making money off drugs, weapons and people. What they want is to clean that money, not make more dirty money. That's why every mafia/cartel/triad legit business is stupid clean. After all, they could only pin Capone for tax evasion.

If OC is cleaning with MtG they'll be buying graded Alpha and Beta.

What would it take for Wizards to decide that reprinting dual lands would be more profitable than keeping them in the reserve list?

The death of the couple executives who are against abolishing the RL.
As of today R&D, the three largest stores and the community at large are against the RL.

Wizzards will never abbolish the reserve list.
You should have bought all your duals ages ago.

Would collectors have any actual legal recourse against Wizards for abolishing the RL?

>HAHA YES WE CAN MAKE BILLIONS BY DUMPING FUCK TONS OF COPIES OF UNDERGROUND SEA INTO THE SECONDARY MARKET OF A REALLY FUCKING NICHE GAME
Said nobody with a grain of economic sense.

Not unless they want to let the IRS know they've been holding disgustingly fast appreciating assets for 25 years. And face Hasbro at court, because they don't hold back on petty lawsuits.

There is no way "collectors" would come out unfucked.

I would love to watch the market crash, just to see the chaos unfold.

Criminals? Like Star City Games?

Laundering money should be more efficient and/or more liquid than shit like high value Magic cards.

Russians used TF2 crate keys to launder money some time ago. That was part of Valve's motivation to change trading policies.

>Not unless they want to let the IRS know they've been holding disgustingly fast appreciating assets for 25 years.

Is this really a thing? I wonder how huge of a crackdown there would be if the IRS even took a glance at the huge "high end" Magic the gathering groups. I bet there is a lot of money they're missing out on

It would undoubtedly send a lot of aspies to prison.

>People feel bad about buying chinaman when other people had to pay more

I REALLY don't think that's a real thing.

Good ol' Charles "Snitches get stitches" Chapin!

*Patrick

Woops, I guess I will now accidentally fall downstairs.