Are there mutant or transformed humans in your setting, Veeky Forums...

Are there mutant or transformed humans in your setting, Veeky Forums? Are they suffering or have they accepted their new lives?

Yes. My favorite cliche is to add an entire race of cursed humanoids. Their level of suffering varies from person to person.

Yeah, but most of them are proud races of monster dudes who barely or incompletely culturally remember their origins. Of the remainder, some have deliberately entered into arrangements where weird spirits inhabit their bodies and so are probably chill about the freakishness involved... people who were born that way or have been fucked up by spiteful sorcerers are probably mostly suffering, though.

Where do you think demihumans came from?

Most mutants were mutated during pre-history so a lot of them don't know their race was once human.

Did... Did you make this for that one user whose friend wanted to play a suicide bomber revenant or whatever? From a day or two ago?

Nah, it's a meme from a few months back that's leaking out of /osr/.

Now that I think about it, no.

But I was wanting to explore the idea of mortals being "uplifted" by gods/spirits that may or may not be a curse. Like some not-Greek gods offering you the honour of guarding whatever thing they fancy by turning you into a medusa or something. Same with not-Egypt "immortality" (aka undead eternal servitude).
Generally it's not even done maliciously, it may be a savage divinity of the wild making you a gigantic hulk simply not realising it will fuck your social life because it doesn't know it is a thing.
Some mortals DO feel honoured though.

My campaign's latest arc has been mostly about that. It started as a Dwarf Fortress kind of project, founding a mining colony out in the frontier for profit. A lot of the locals are twisted mutant goblins, some of which are friendly and just looking for a cure or a place where they won't be killed for being unclean. Shortly after this, a small army of mutant fungus-infested ogres shows up at the PCs' doorstep and demands tribute on behalf of their master. Turns out the whole region is ruled by an immortal magical bug-man who experiments with the local species and makes "improvements" to them. He wants to become a god and reshape all life on the planet to suit his own designs. Among his subjects are millions of yuan-ti, because it turns out they'll willingly dance to the tune of anyone who can make them more snakey. Several PCs have died by this point, so the new PCs are locals with personal beef against this guy, and the old PCs are more about avenging the dead ones.

Someone on tumblr statted all the Darkest Dungeons characters for LotFP, and the leprosy rules rubbed somebody the wrong way.
That was made in response to their complaints.

>and the leprosy rules rubbed somebody the wrong way.
I was that person.

I have no regrets that my whining created the Exploding Death Men, even if they are incredibly dumb.

Pretty much everyone in my group's Apocalypse World game.

Three biggest groups of people are:
The cybernetic Andros, who are the descendants of transhumanists who uploaded their consciousnesses into robot bodies. They tend to stick to the abandoned megacities of the old world. Their technology is also the most advanced in the setting, but their small numbers and general attitude of “just leave us be” means they aren’t much of a threat.
The bio-engineered Splicers, who have modified their own DNA and whose ancestors were the original designers of the virus that led to the fall of civilization. This has allowed them to propagate around the world, but also left them scattered and isolationist.
And the uplifted Mutts, animals who were imbued with human-like intelligence and in the most extreme cases even developed thumbs and an upright stance. Obligatory beastman race that our resident furfag plays. Pretty much Planet of the Apes.

They're all dealing with the near extinction of humans in their own way, but very few see their altered state as anything more than the norm. Of the humans that DO still exist, most keep to themselves or join up with one of the big factions (through cybernetics or gene-therapy) to avoid unwanted attention.

look at this moth

That I just found

>Are you, uh, a real delver?
>Well, uh, technically... nah.
>Have you ever got something valuable, like a special grade artifact?
>Nah.
>Have you ever sacrificed your fellow delver?
>Nah, nah...
>Alright! I can see that I will have to teach you how to be real white whistles!

Now listen closely
Here's a little lesson in going down
Let us all be wonderful, just hear me out
If you wanna be a delver number one
You have to stuff your newest friend in this jar
Just follow my kid, yes, subarashi!
I'm just gonna mark some things
(with x)

Last night I had a scary dream
I mixed my own secret potion
I added dirt, a bit of sludge, some eyes of flies
And a tiny dab of suntan lotion

faputa should KILL herself for bullying shotabot

how is it bullying if they both enjoy it?

In our group's setting, there is a country based on ancient China that was turned into an earthly paradise for through geomancy and magical eugenics programs. The land was a lush and fantastical garden and the people were all strong, beautiful and perfect. Then an arcane cataclysm corrupted all these magics, turning the country into a surreal wonderland and it's citizens into chimeric creatures whose appearances varied from almost human to beastly.

A couple centuries later, they're all pretty much fine with the state of things, if a little bit looney as a whole. Their scholars and artists are skilled, if likewise mad, but their doctors are always in demand because they have had to learn how to treat any number of ailments in any number of species.

She isn't bullying, he belonged to her long before he met the poop zombie or the bun

currently, i do a campaign where stuff like this happens frequently.
>tower-shaped super dungeon of infinite height
>entering the tower gives you/ the group an individual worldspace that is considered your "path" to the top
>breaking this restriction by using certain tools and powers exposes you to harmful magic, which leads to sickness and mutations if you do it too often
>once fully mutated into a monster hybrid, you start losing all your instincts and emotions that'd enable you to feel compassion and relation to humans
>gain ability to walk between the different paths and layers freely by using the hidden vip passages
>lose ability to receive the permanent blessings at the end of each layer
>you start hanging out with the other monster guys, since they are pretty chill, rob one or another adventurer and start to produce monster babbies

but anyway, they are pretty much the only npcs that you meet outside the crossings of paths. some are pretty chill and still like to hang out with humies, even if they literaly mutated into a screaming spider web made from skin and muscles

Why does she have a meme arrow on her arm?

cleaning error i guess

What am I looking at here?

Pure value.

There's three main types of mutants that are common enough to be classified in the Terra Noctis. In order of most to least common and least to most dangerous.

>Sags
The result of an engineered disease from the First Tunnel War. Connective tissues fail and the person's skin hang loosely off their bodies, hence their name. They look kind of like a more extreme version of the pale man from Pan's labyrinth. Inevitably Sags lose their minds due to the infection and become violent before dying of internal bleeding/organ failure. The process can take up to 5 years though. Originally the disease spread by air and killed faster, but has since mutated and generally only spreads bare skin to bare skin or blood to blood. Treated slightly worse than lepers and are usually discarded at the edge of society.

>Ghouls
Inbred and degenerate settlers cut off from the wider underworld for extended periods of time. Known for cannibalism and adaptations to underground life. Usually blind, pale, and misshapen though often possessing uprising strength or even claws/fangs due to selective pressures. Ghouls, depending on the length of their isolation, may go so far as to not have eyes at all and greatly enhanced hearing or smell. Usually exterminated on discovery, but new families are found frequently as the frontier expands back to it's earlier limits or unfortunate families who escaped alone during the Great War are uncovered. See pic.

>Deadmen or sometimes Death's Heads
Twisted attempts at super soldiers made during the Great War or, more rarely, the First Tunnel War. Vary in appearance, sanity, and ability, but are characterized by battered armor with faded military markings (often bolted straight to their bodies) and horrifying physical modifications. Crude augmentation was tried by all sides during the war and the inhuman products can still be found stalking the surface or slipping underground. Usually mad from centuries of pain and with barely remembered kill orders.

A Best Girl

they are quite happy. because unhappiness is of no value in "The Village"

>Pure value.
Well, something to put in Google would be nice, buddy.

Yeah, three kinds. There's the Neochimera, the Homunculus and the Mana Generation. For the most part, they're all in support of their lives, although the rates of how okay they're with it varies wildly between the types. It helps that they've been like that for a long while.

>outie belly button
Fucking mutants

>Right click
>Search Google for this image
Made in Abyss

What is this a reference to? The Delver shit I mean.

Yeah but he wants to know specifically nanachi's name so whatever you do don't tell him it

>.gif

You monster, now finish the fucking song

What series are these adorable little things from?

Don't worry, it's a still image. I didn't even realize it was a gif till now.

Assembled in the Abscess
Born in the Beneath
Created in the Cave
Designed in the Depths
Erected in the Escarpment
Furnished in the Fault

I have a race of undeads ripped straight from dark souls. Basically a race of supposed "sick and dying" people who were just exiled from the city and left to die, but who somehow seemed to survive forever, only going insane at some point down the line.

Without the respawning benefit, though. It is a neutral bunch when they are not yet insane, and can be valuable allies to adventurers. Especially since the usual cause of them going insane is just pure despair, so there is rarely a chance of an undead quest giver suddenly going nuts without warning while you are gone. And they are very driven towards solving the major problems in the world, more So than any of the other races, even if the average humans don't care about them.

They're lucky if they're not beaten to death by their parents in atavistic rage.

Made in Abyss. A word of warning, though. The art might be very pretty and the main characters really cute, but don't start reading unless you're prepared to see cute lolis vomiting blood and having their bones broken. Shit gets dark, is what I'm saying.
Also pooping. So much pooping.

This is pretty rad.

...I both DO and DO NOT want to read it now.

Like, the strange curiosity and disgust that make people watch YouTube videos of ingrown toenails being removed or pimples being popped. It's a strange, uneasy feeling.

I have some in my current setting.
They were originally humans from a great fallen civilization now living on a large series of tropical islands and had found a great wealth of magically regenerating minerals and metals that could kick off an industrial revolution for them (combined with their ancient knowledge that they kept a good grasp of), the catch? They were located in deep water springs. The people came up with various methods of harvesting these materials at great cost and danger. Then one day a forgotten god passed through and saw his change at gaining new followers and changed the people to make life easier by making them amphibious. While they still held the human form, they gained gills on their necks, their skin turned smooth and gray like a dolphins and their bodies became a little shorter (4-5ft average height) and adapted to better handle deep water pressure.
This change nearly destroyed their civilization but once they got their shit together, they could mine their magic ores with ease and boosted themselves into an industrial revolution, mass producing steel for sale to the mainland. They still see themselves as humans (no one else does) and they are compatible with normal humans, though only produce more like them in such circumstances. While they can fully live underwater, they prefer living on land near water and have a distaste for the ocean; due to the way their gills work, they taste everything coming in and the salt annoys them to no end after awhile.

>Also pooping. So much pooping.
There's been like two poop jokes in the series.

Do it, its fun

It is a genuinely good manga, although it gets rather graphic at times (and also features nude lolis from time to time).
is probably one of the best villains in any manga I've read (his arc is also when shit goes full grimdark).

Fine
Ha Ha HA
Now look at this hole, that I just found
There's also a lift, going down
Go!
(Blame It on Abyss, not me!)
(Ugh, let's try something new)
Now watch and learn, here's the deal
It's a fight for life and death, and I'm gonna win!
(HaHaHa! Gasp! What are you doing!)

Na na-nannna-nana nana
Na nana nana na na
Simply Wonderful!

All surviving humans are clones or hybrids. I blatantly stole the Human Empire from the Prophet comic series. Humans are highly adaptable to the point where the Human Empire used clone armies and mutated them to suit alien environments. Since the Human Empire had collapsed, what was left were the legions of clones and hybrids.

>mermaids are actually a race of people who chose the wrong side in a conflict in a conflict between the two main deities thousands of years ago, the order god trying to wipe them out by plunging half their lands in to the sea and their chaotic god saving them by transforming them in to fish people
>friendly, can't speak land dwellers languages anymore, hates priests/icons of the order god and have strange, instinctual connect with their former countrymen
I thought that up while watching the little mermaid.

I like it a lot

>All surviving humans are clones or hybrids. I blatantly stole the Human Empire from the Prophet comic series. Humans are highly adaptable to the point where the Human Empire used clone armies and mutated them to suit alien environments. Since the Human Empire had collapsed, what was left were the legions of clones and hybrids.
I always found the concept/backstory of the Grineer from Warframe very interesting: Basically a hundred thousand years in the future (so far that it seems almost like a different galaxy) genetic engineering became a thing for humanity's elite who perfected themselves (pretty much a human version of elves). They used engineering and cloning to breed a race of servants for them as humanity itself was pretty much fucked after a calamity on earth and them living on the moon because of that.
Then a whole lot of other plot happened which ended with them being overthrown and slaughtered and their servant race being free, but the way they were they had no of the pure genetic templates left and so could only continue to reclone their slowly deteriorating bodies with the machines they themselves also couldn't keep from falling apart.
Basically at this point the "Grineer" as they chose to call themselves are born so frail and deformed that it is almost standard to replace like 50% of them with cybernetics.

That's actually pretty cool. I'll have to look into them more, along with Warframe in general. The world also has psionics in it so that works.

You have the physical world, and the metaphysical world of magic.
The world of magic can be entered. But if you break certain rules, or get lost for too long... you'll mutate.

You'll be lucky if you mutate into something from Made In Abyss. Hell, you'll be lucky if you mutate into something like a Tolkienian orc. Because I rip a lot of my mutations straight from Junji Ito.

>Because I rip a lot of my mutations straight from Junji Ito.
BEHOLD MY TRUE FORM, SAVESCUMMED FOR ALMOST 1,000 ROLLS ON THE MUTATION TABLES

HELLSTAR REMINA

Best Lich coming through

>that sfx translation
I kek'd heartily.

Also, was he a fluffy lizard (?) from the start pretending to be human, a human turning into that or what else?

Is that a pile bunker?

Outie. Fucking eew.

A pretty serious new disease coming from the dark forests of the old capital has been turning people into trees. First stage is pretty mild, hair go green, bark starts growing under the skin. Stage 2 results in the person desiring a return to the forest, and an unhealthy urge to protect it, but will otherwise be fully conscious. They're also almost fully covered in bark and sprouting leaves by this point. Stage 3 is literally planting yourself into the ground to expand the forest, one day it will engulf all.

Fluffy immortal girl who is seen as royalty to a city of mutant capitalists.

She from Made in Abyss and she's only just been introduced so anything more characterising that my opening sentence hasn't been seen yet.

>Fluffy immortal girl
What type of immortality are we speaking?

He only becomes fluffy in that panel due to his experiment succeeding (hence the SFX). That particular body seemed to have a tail before that, though. He's essentially a lich who has transplanted his soul to multiple bodies (he sacrificed his original body to make his phylactery-equivalent), and has specially modified bodies for different purposes (we also see one with four arms). He was a regular human at some point, but that was long before the point the manga takes place.

He has a beam cannon mounted on his elbow. And another, different one in his mask. And a web launcer in one arm and poison dart gun in the other.

Don't know. We have simply been told she is immortal.

Considering the story has had everything from body stealing, simple indestructability to even 'and I must scream' styles of immortality it's hard to say why type she has.

Mad scientist turned the majority of elves into a Warforged-esq race. Due to being regenerative and immortal, most of them are stuck looking for ways to die.

It's an odd setting.

I love it.

when will the anime get to Bonedaddy and Byrgenwerth?

Yeah. A set of humans followed a god that became partially mortal for a while that loved them and showed them all the path to divinity. Being small minded humans, those that were growing older got scared they'd die before they became immortal beings and so they used their demigodhood to rally enough of their fellow man to seize divinity by killing and eating the loving god that was helping them ascend. Naturally, eating a god doesn't make you one.

They've since been cursed by his grieving wife, also a god, to only ever reproduce enough to maintain their population, never grow it, because the god these humans killed and ate loved them all that much.

so why not just kill the wife too

She dipped the second they killed him. Returned to godhood.

that's like a light slap on the wrist on the scale of god-punishment

where's the apollo-style storms where rain droplets are replaced with arrows?

What manga is being posted here?

His infinite love for these people basically made his wife go, "while I would love to snuff you from existence, you'll just barely survive for eternity and never spread as a civilization, purely because my husband cared for you all that much."

And so now they live in perpetual shame.

Centaurs are the victims of a horrible fungal parasite that first infects a young animal, and gradually consumes and takes over its insides. It then finds a young adolescent humanoid to assault and snatch, the parasite-animal then melts its own head, and consumes the humanoid up to the waist, where it then starts to infect said humanoid, and converts the consumed biomass into more fungal parasite to act as a converter/fuser to mingle the two creature's immune systems and other bodily systems into one. It then continues to support and infect the humanoid body so that it is properly anchored and supported on the animal body, and to properly connect and enhance the nervous system to support the new bodyparts that have been grafted onto it.

That's the closest I can think of to mutants, aside from Humans themselves, who are the escaped and mutated protoforms used by an ancient civilization as a base to make slave races and other servitors