Our first rpg round

>Our first rpg round.
>Entire group (level 1) is killed by cats

Were we incompetent or are cats so strong? Jesus...

Have you ever tried to bathe a cat?

I want full story.

/Thread

Are you sure you're not playing Vampire?

Depends on what game you were playing. In 3.5 D&D, cats were notoriously strong, to the point where a cat would probably kill a level 1 commoner every time and a group of four cats would probably kill at least one member of an adventuring party. In earlier editions than that, starting characters often had tiny amounts of HP and could be killed by a stiff breeze.

Heh. Could be worse. Knight carps kill a thousand adventurers and twenty thousand dwarfs every year.

>faggot forced meme department

Fixed for you.

>being this mad
>playing dnd

>Implying playing any other edition than 3.PF is a bad thing

Weak b8 m8

These trolls really need to just give up already.

There was once a screencap of a Burgaler left a bleeding mess by an user's housecat, who turned himself in because he was bleeding out, the thing fucked him up hard.

>lying on the Internet

In fifth edition D&D, cats are cr 0. They have +0 to hit and deal 1 damage on a hit. They have 2 hp and 12 ac. In other words, a single hit from any of your attacks should kill a cat, and unless there are at least a couple dozen they pose absolutely no threat. So, have you tried playing the world's greatest roleplaying game ;)?

Playing 5e is.

There's only one way to deal with a troublesome cat

>Implying 4e and 5e aren't terrible

Don't forget 4e, that's a pile of garbage too.

WoD has hardcore cats, from what I hear.

Every edition is terrible. Not equally terrible, true, but only someone with very little experience with other systems would think any edition of D&D is worth playing in the 21st century.

This

Op is probably bullshiting for (you)s, that or his GM was terrible, I can't think of a single system where RAW it's possible to have a party wipe to mundane cat's

Can you trolls go somewhere else already? No one's falling for it, so you can give up now.

>Implying 4E isn't the only good version of DnD since TSR

Catgirls a shit.

It can be worthwhile for the nostalgia and history of it. If you get enough games anyway. If you're pressed enough for RPG time you're only in one game at a time or w/e, you should stick to something good.

It isn't. It's shit, like the rest.

I agree with: OP.

We need to know more before we can judge you.

Play gurps cats are weak

WoD doesn't have a level system and OP mentioned being level 1
Is probably right

How so?
Classes are balanced, combat is good and once you fix the combat math it isn't a slog

Uses d20 for resolution, uses a level system, uses a class system.

Dress up your turd all you like, it's still shit.

It's not trolling newfriend, the majority Veeky Forums unironically thinks DnD is garbage.

There's nothing wrong with class or level systems they just are great for more realistic games

You're not even trying, troll.
Also, D&D is by far and large the most popular role playing game here. It would do you good to step outside of your own head once in a while.

Here's your last reply.

As the guy defending 4E I would like to point out that 3.pf and 5E are bad

>realistic

Really, what's your level and class?

That's a nice opinion, but it's really just your opinion though.
An opinion that is also that of a minority of players.

>You're not even trying, troll.
You can't just label a differing opinion as trolling. You can't deny that it's far more easier to troll Veeky Forums by claiming that DnD is good.
>Also, D&D is by far and large the most popular role playing game here. It would do you good to step outside of your own head once in a while.
It's also the most disliked. And many people here who play DnD do admit it isn't fundamentally a good system. In fact, unironically defending it is most often seen as trolling.

An industry report for ants. Kind of large ants, I guess, but Jesus, isn't there a larger-text version of that somewhere?

They just aren't*

>It's also the most disliked

I'd bet good money that most of Veeky Forums plays - not "has played", plays, present tense - D&D on at least a semi-regular basis (say, two or three times a year), and even has fun while doing so.

>inb4 "fun is a buzzword"

You probably would have more fun with other systems it's just easier to find a game for 5E

>You can't just label a differing opinion as trolling

But they can label trolling as trolling, and that's all you're doing. Don't act like you're so clever and sneaky, or that anyone will believe anything you say to try and defend yourself.
People are wise to your game, and have been for quite a while. About time that you just gave up.

Dnd isn't bad, it just only works for a specific kind of game.

If it isn't running that, well you are tough out of luck.

It's not aweful, just overly specific.

Classes are the worst offender, classes in general are stupid because they make it so you can only build a character like the class.

Linear dice is my least favorite thing though, because tasks should bend to the average.

All of this makes GURPS good tho, because it is a classless game that can run anything, and uses 3d6

>this lie again

Fuck, you trolls are just never give up.

>Still thinking that Roll20 charts mean anything

kek, you pathfags should revise your arguments.

Not him (currently DMing a 5e game and enjoy the system) but I do prefer 3d6 to 1d20 for rolls. Far less swingy.

If you're just going to repeat the same shit you've said in the fifty other threads you've decided to shit up, save it. No one wants to try to convince you how stupid you are anymore, so you can just go and fuck off now.

Some people unironically don't like DnD, also it seems that the only person who's upset by this is you

>Don't act like you're so clever and sneaky, or that anyone will believe anything you say to try and defend yourself. People are wise to your game, and have been for quite a while. About time that you just gave up.
I don't need to justify labeling "defending DnD" as trolling when it's the consensus here. It's you who's trying to push some false narrative that hating DnD is trolling.

A d20 vs 3d6 by themselves is one thing, but what you're supposed to be looking at is the fact that it is trying to meet a target number with a binary pass-fail result. How the dice roll is achieved in this regard is considerably less important than what the target number is set as.

Want less "swingy"? Reduce the target numbers to make the pass results more consistent. It's actually considerably easier to do using a flat distribution roll, since the math doesn't start to become unwieldy as you stray towards the extremes.

The question of "can we make the d20 rolls more reliable aside from lowering target numbers" was also addressed in 5e, with the inclusion of the advantage system.

He's unironically defending DnD, I wouldn't call him a troll, he's just very angry and not that bright

Obviously those cats had class levels, OP. Maybe Monk.

I mean, they might even have had ranks in Swim.

Gurps is great, it can run everything. Don't get me wrong, I have run fun canpaigns in each Dnd edition, and it worked great for those. However gurps allows you to build characters that don't exactly fit in the class structure.

The fact that it can run dnd style games well is just a cherry on top

Personally I love DnD, 4E is a great system!

Its true that DnD kinda runs one very particular sort of game well, it's just that even within thast narrow scope there are STILL better options.

GURPS is fine but unfocused. Use it for niche genres that either don't have a purpose built RPG or that have one but it sucks worse than D&D.

Or maybe if you have a single consistent group but really broad tastes and you don't want to learn/teach a bunch of systems.

Please, you and two trolls do not make a consensus, unless you are counting a consensus among trolls. You're right, in that D&D has the most trolls who target it, but that's only because it's the most popular game here. But, you already know this.

A lot of people unironically dislike a lot of systems, but only trolls try to show how much they hate the system any time the system is mentioned. Sometimes, they don't even wait, and just make their own troll threads because they have nothing else in their lives.

5E works if the game you want to play is the exact niche 5E was designed for

I remember a thread few months back where someone stated that 5e isn't a very universal system and wouldn't function well out of it's inteded use, and one guy went apeshit over it. He had a very similiar posting style as the angry guy in this thread, so I wonder has the same idiot really been blindly defending D&D all this time? Has anyone seen him in other threads?

>the old narrow niche lie

Why keep trying to press this forward? Hoping to scare people away so that they play whatever system you're backing?

I never leave home without some Swim. My very first proper RP character died due to a lack of swim

>Trolls, you are trolls, trolls are nothing but trolls, trolls with no valid opinions, therefore you have no real argument
Again, it's not trolls. It shouldn't be so astronomically hard to accept that there are people who unironically do not think DnD is good. And the majority of Veeky Forums belongs to this group.

It's the same guy, don't respond to him if you're looking for a serious conversation, feel free to poke him though and watch how he reacts if that's your thing

Ok tell me how to play a modern lovecraftian game with 5e?
Buddy cop game?
Star Wars?
W40k?

I can do all of those with the GURPS basic set, easy

This is a common argument that comes up in every one of these system wars threads.

Basically, it requires a bit of miscommunication for it to really start off, and then it just ends up being trolls trolling trolls.

One side says D&D is not adaptable. The other side says it is. One side tries to present something D&D can't do. The other side shows how it can do it. One side says its not playing D&D anymore if you adapt it. The other side asks what's the point of this discussion at all.

And so on and so forth.

Quit being such a dumb troll already, and stop with your "I can speak for the majority of Veeky Forums even though the majority of Veeky Forums clearly disagrees with me" nonsense.

What evidence do you have to support you? A few fellow trolls, compared to the overwhelming number of people who actually play games and discuss them?

Then it's likely that the first time I encountered him wasn't the first time he posted. How long has he tried to force this "D&D hate is just trolls" thing? Why does he do it? Does he do it for free? Are there really people that obsessed over something as trivial as this?

>I can do all of those with the GURPS basic set, easy

Easy? Not really. Those all basically require an experienced GM to effectively make the system, and can very easily go wrong.

More importantly, even if it was easy, it's still not really all that good, and most people simply don't like GURPS's mechanics.

You are utterly delusional. The majority of this thread doesn't even agree with you, let alone the majority of Veeky Forums.

It might be because you trolls are really obvious?

Is it really impossible for you to consider that I just genuinely like D&D? I like the d20, I like the classes and levels.

>Dnd isn't bad, it just only works for a specific kind of game.

It works for any kind of game. I have never had a problem running it as a dungeon crawl, a grand battle, political intrigue, sneaking around. It's worked fine for a bronze age game I ran, a pseudo-Medieval fantasy, an Enlightenment-era, and even early-modern WWII-era stuff. I've run over-the-top HIGH ADVENTURE and grim-and-gritty "realism". Didn't care for the latter but that was due to tone, not mechanics. I don't like grim and gritty in general.

I cannot even conceive of what it is that D&D "can't do". For that matter, not once have I ever seen someone say "there are things D&D can't do" and then provide examples of things that D&D can't do.

All games require a good GM, it's the reason why people play TTRPG's. It would be easier for me to use gurps to play any of those because gurps has official rules for all of those, in the basic books. Without any home brewing I could do all of those

The majority doesn't agree with you, you mean.

Most people don't care about your system war bullshit, and that's why most people ignore your shitposting.

Also, back to providing me some proof of your claim. I've got generals and thousands of threads of people enjoying and liking D&D, and what have you got? Some troll threads, largely filled with people telling you trolls to shut up already?

Yea but are there any rules for that kind of stuff?

I could do political games with 40k war-game rules if I homebrew it enough, but is it even dnd anymore.

I can run all of those using official rules in gurps, it legitimently works for all of those.

If you are going to use DnD for something other than dungeon crawling, why not use games that are built for that stuff?

>Classes are balanced
No they aren't, spellcasters still > you

>combat is good and once you fix the combat math it isn't a slog
>once you fix the system the system isn't bad

I've been having a hard time telling if you were sincere but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you're sincere

Ok, suppose that we are all trolls and that all this isn't some grand delusion of yours. What's the one thing you don't do when it comes to trolls? Feed them. If you honestly believed that we're all trolls, then why would you give us exactly what we wanted? The only winning move against trolls is not to play their game. And don't you dare claim some stupid shit like "I'm calling you out on your stupid ass trolling, you trolls", because you're not. You're taking the bait, whatever you say. If we all really were trolls, all interaction you could have with us would result in you losing. if you label the opposing opinion as trolling, then attempting to argue with them would be an automatic win for them.
It's time to face the facts and give up on forcing your false narrative.

>Most people don't care about your system war bullshit, and that's why most people ignore your shitposting.
Not that poster, I just wanted to pipe in that if you're going to give that other user shit for speaking for the rest of Veeky Forums you shouldn't turn around and do it yourself.

Fighter is high tier

Lovecraft star wars and 40k all have native options that are better than GURPS.

GURPS is good for buddy cops though, yes.

I think you actually expect people to fall for the memes you trolls spam.
It's like those guys who keeps saying GURPS whenever someone asks for a system recommendation. I'm not saying these guys are trolls, but I'm saying what they do is basically just a lukewarm meme. But, even though GURPS is always recommended, next to no one on this board actually plays or discusses GURPS, and the GURPS general sort of limps along.
Just because everytime you see the words D&D you immediately rush in to tell people how much you dislike it doesn't mean you are effectively pretending to be a majority, or even pretending to be anything more than a nuisance. No one's really falling for it, because you can make as many posts about how Veeky Forums hates D&D as you want, the actual truth is that people are going to enjoy it and enjoy discussing it here. You might as well get used to this, because no matter how much you troll, this truth will never change, and this truth will always shatter any lie you try to spew out.

You're not going to get anywhere with him

Am I wrong to say that most people do ignore it though? Only a very small percentage of Veeky Forums even bothers to engage with system war trolls, with most people simply discussing the games they like to play. Even the most heated troll thread ends up only being about five people arguing.

>You might as well get used to this, because no matter how much you troll, this truth will never change, and this truth will always shatter any lie you try to spew out.
If that's really the case, then why are you so insecure? If you really thought that the majority of Veeky Forums shared your opinion on DnD, then surely a couple of trolls could hardly bother you into replying?

see

Great, you can kill the things (which are less impressive than the things in previous editions) slightly better than anyone else, no one cares. How about you try doing anything else to advance the plot?

>Yea but are there any rules for that kind of stuff?

...tons? Have you ever picked up a D&D book? D&D moved out of the "all dungeons all the time" ages ago. Like, late 80s at the latest. It's had rules for non-comabt stuff for decades now.

Of 5e's published campaigns:
- Horde of the Dragon Queen has several entire chapters where stealth or diplomacy will benefit you more than combat
- Rise of Tiamat focused extensively around negotiation in order to build up an army to fight the Cult of the Dragon
- Princes of the Apocalypse admittedly is just a giant dungeon crawl
- The first half of Out of the Abyss is survival horror oriented around scarce resources; while the second half is basically army/squad management
- You could theoretically make it through huge portions of Curse of Strahd without ever killing anything or anyone, simply getting by on negotiation and investigation. It's a mystery
- Storm King's Thunder is basically a huge character piece, a Shakespearean play, as well as an exploration game
- Tales from the Yawning Portal is, again, mostly a big ol' dungeon crawl through some classic D&D dungeons.

Yes, I'm being sincere.

See but also why was your party fighting cats?

As a head's up, you're arguing with a troll.

spell-casters aren't nearly as powerful out of combat in 4E

And that's different from any other discussion on Veeky Forums how?

I did

I have successfully bathed a cat more than once. The trick is to let them eat catnip first and get good and tranqued out.

Cat, 3.5E
Size/Type: Tiny Animal
Hit Dice: ½ d8 (2 hp)
Initiative: +2
Speed: 30 ft. (6 squares)
Armor Class: 14 (+2 size, +2 Dex), touch 14, flat-footed 12
Base Attack/Grapple: +0/-12
Attack: Claw +4 melee (1d2-4)
Full Attack: 2 claws +4 melee (1d2-4) and bite -1 melee (1d3-4)
Space/Reach: 2½ ft./0 ft.
Special Attacks: —
Special Qualities: Low-light vision, scent
Saves: Fort +2, Ref +4, Will +1
Abilities: Str 3, Dex 15, Con 10, Int 2, Wis 12, Cha 7
Skills: Balance +10, Climb +6, Hide +16*, Jump +10,
Listen +3, Move Silently +8, Spot +3
Feats: Stealthy, Weapon FinesseB
Environment: Temperate plains
Organization: Domesticated or solitary
Challenge Rating: ¼
Advancement: —

The statistics presented here describe a common housecat.

Combat
Cats prefer to sneak up on their prey.

Skills
Cats have a +4 racial bonus on Climb, Hide, and Move Silently checks and a +8 racial bonus on Jump checks. Cats have a +8 racial bonus on Balance checks. They use their Dexterity modifier instead of their Strength modifier for Climb and Jump checks. *In areas of tall grass or heavy undergrowth, the Hide bonus rises to +8.

Just because a game says "you can do this" doesn't mean there are mechanics designed to help you with that or that those mechanics are any good :u

This is where playing a wide variety of games helps since it gives you better points of reference to know how other games attempt the same thing and fail.

Pathfinders Kingdom building rules for instance are kinda ass compared to REIGN's which're much more interesting and consistent with the idea you need to maintain your company with your character's actions.