Potential "That Guy" joining us tonight, how to be prepared?

I'm currently dming my irl group (5e) to let our regular dm moves houses and play for once. Got 4 sessions under my belt.
This one will be continuing in the style of my last session, which deviates from the standard both the players and i normally have been in. I give them a Plot Twist token each, improvved everything while asking players to fill in certain details. No rails to run on as far as the eye can see.
Got a text from a player asking if he could bring a friend, i say yeah, tell me about him.
> am sent a screenshot.CE Black Dragonborn Paladin
> Player: "He is the kind of player that wants to kill everyone in the party. Ha"
> ask if he's That Guy
> am told "He's a fun guy". Also that he's killed his entire party before in a 2 year long campaign.

I've asked the player (who plays an edgy tiefling warlock assassin in the main campaign) to pass along that "the same page tool" questionnaire, but already feel out of my depth.

Anyone have some tips?

Talk to your other players about the new guy and go from there

> Player: "He is the kind of player that wants to kill everyone in the party. Ha"
> ask if he's That Guy
> am told "He's a fun guy". Also that he's killed his entire party before in a 2 year long campaign.
"A fun guy"

> ask if he's That Guy
> am told "He's a fun guy"
Well, that settles that.

>CE
>Paladin
I fucking hate this people.
It's like they enjoy taking a shit on all that is Paladin

I'm going to sound aspie af, but i'm new to these people and ttrpg as a whole. They all know him better than I, after all.
Would it be best to just ask the players like 'this dude sounds like a that guy are you down with the clown on this or naw?'

Apparently not only that, but that party was none the wiser "until the DM slipped up and got chatty"
I asked for clarification, but... Apparently the party was not aware they were dead.("that's how the story goes")
Were they mad? I asked. Hoping against hope that it was orchestrated as part of a plot or something...
> "Naw, it was more of a mind bomb moment"

>"a mind bomb moment"
What does that even MEAN? How did they not know they were dead?

Sounds fucking shitty to me, friendo.

Honestly I wouldn't let him come. Who the hell wants to play with a guy who murders his own party? Also, evil characters really only work in all evil parties. I would never let a pc be evil if that wasn't the theme of the campaign.

Without being aggressive just ask your players about the guy

>"Apparently the party was not aware they were dead"
Were they undead or something, or in the afterlife?

Update
like a second after i pressed send, he affirmed he has told the other players, that there have been times where he has been invited but was unable to stick around due to work.
He's a truck driver. Be far from it for me to judge or stereotype, but....

Currently asking this and several other questions.
Re: not answering plainly, that's someting of a trait for this player.
He's actually hit on me before over snapchat (am female, gave clear boundaries i'm not afraid to enforce), as a married and soon-to-be father. Hmm.... writing all that out here, now, damn....

Dragonborn exist as a race purely to act as a beacon for That Guys. Prove me wrong.

>paladins are only allowed to be this one alignment, no others ever
You're a titanic faggot, almost as bad as Captain Teamkill there

>it's That Guy to think breath weapons are cool and want one yourself
k

I don't think they exist purely for that reason, but they are genuinely a beacon for That Guys. After years of playing D&D, only once as a non That Guy chose Dragonborn, and that was because she was so new to it, it was impossible to be That Guy.

girls don't exist on the internet user. show us your feminine benis

the awful part is that if it was just, say, being edgy and mysterious, ok whatever.
the player i mentioned is currently playing a cowardly cleric that would rather pick up useless cookbooks that ones in secret libraries, who will stay in a library instead of investigate the plothook I and the rest of the players have concocted.
So i let him. And that works. He learns that I dont mind him being wacky (like having a top hat with Light cast on it in Death House from Strahd) or doing things that dont help, but i'm not going to go out of my way reel him in if he wants to separate from the party. Letting players like him determine details like what a surrounding looks like, it gets him involved and even helpful sometimes.
But it works too because so far no one has gone "harblegarble, i just solved all of our problems and am now a god"

OH SHIT EDIT
this is a DIFFERENT player
i thought it was the edgy one, but it's actually another player who is perhaps the 3rd most proficient roleplay of the group, i will refer to him now as M.
He's texting me the story of this campaign as we speak

Because they were hit in their pressure points.

You sound like a shit DM and you deserve this.

She's only made 4 posts, how can you tell if she's shit or not

The OP was enough.

desu the fact this is coming from M and not the sleazy player makes a big difference, although the last time M brought someone to play, he was an immature fratty guy. Didn't help he tried to tell me, an introvert with a psych b.a., that i was not an introvert because of how i talked.

The story:
> The DM and [Friend, "B"] were the only ones who knew [B] was separating characters periodically and killing them.
>Sometimes it was like [time when his character was knocked out and replaced with probably his one of the copies of himself he is able to make. hasn't been resolved yet] So the players in and out of game had no clue what was going on. hey just thought he was an evil DM.
> When in fact he was a good DM just let B do the dirty work and kept it under wraps until they were out drinking one night and e got chatty
>It was actually a really funny story to hear and it's why i wanted to play DnD in the first place
[...]
>Haha Brandon is an asshole but a fun asshole.
> Get to talk to him and you'll see what i mean

Does this change anything to you, Veeky Forums?

Talk to your players about Brandon, figure out what they would and wouldn't be comfortable with, make sure Brandon knows what he is and isn't allowed to do, kick him if he can't comply

Assholes have shit coming out of them and they stink, whether they're "fun" or not.

You say you're a new GM. Tell this guy that you can't handle the challenge of an extra player right now.

Fucking drop him, that shit sounds awful and he's probably gonna do everything in his power to ruin the game for others.

First, thanks for introducing me tangentially to 'the same page tool', totally going to use that in my next campaign.

Second, based on your information here , your next best step is talking with Brandon. Get to know his personality and playstyle a bit before he comes to the table. If you don't want him disrupting the game with player-killing, let him know that. If there's anything else he might do that would frustrate you, let him know about it. Ask him what he expects from the game and what might frustrate him. Have him meet some members of the group in a setting that's not D&D.

If he does something in poor taste or that annoys you, let him know immediately but shelve discussion of it until after the game. If you or any of the people at your table don't like having him around, or if he keeps doing something obnoxious, kick him from the group.

Above all else, don't let him ruin the game for everyone else. If you feel like he's toxic and making people at the table not have fun, get him out ASAP and move on. I've played too many games with jerks and not kicked them because I felt bad about it. Don't make the same mistake I have.

Listen, the friend who is inviting him? He's looking to tank your game. This is an active act of sabotage.

Ok I'll say it: the issue with your friends friend is not that he wants to kill the party. The issue is that he wants to kill the party and presumably your other players aren't down with that. Talk with your players. Confirm that this style of intraparty scheming is or is not what they (and you) want, and accept or reject the new player based on that. If anyone gets angry over that then they're a faggot and not worth considering the feelings of.

>When in fact he was a good DM just let B
Lemme stop you there. Letting one player rob the others of agency is not good DMing. Quite the opposite in fact. The only bigger shitter in that situation is the player that pitched and executed it. How you're even considering adding this guy is baffling.

The way the game store works is that if you're running an open group, you can get kick backs. Trade is thatyou can't refuse anyone until/unless you have 7 players max.
At the same time i appreciate all this and didn't think about the 'new dm' excuse. If i can wing it and need to, thanks in advance.
If he's toxic, i'm not going to stand for that for a moment, but i'm so glad to feel like that feeling is validated.

Whoa, that's a thing? I'm not sure if that's in his personality, but at the same time I'm not positive. Noted!!

AGREED. I am a free-form rper by experience, and??? That's what i still kept texting M. They... didn't have a say? They couldn't roll to save or have any foothold in their own character's lives? That shit is not going down at my table. Maybe the DM isn't horrible all the time, but that's just... Not Good. No.

Going forward, i plan to get their early and try to catch who i can before B and M arrive. Give them the lowdown and let them know that if they are feeling uncomfortable or their fun is messed with, i'll handle it.

You guys are awesome, i really feel a lot better about handling this situation. I mean it! You guys have helped me get pumped about this (in a "I'm going to properly handle the FUCK out of this!") way. If nothing else, i will be able to regale interested people later and learn from it.

The only winning move with That Guy is not to play.

You're playing fucking d&d. If you don't know how to handle that guy by this point, you're beyond helping.

>Tieflings/Cambrian/Doppelgangers/Changlings/Elves/Humans exist as a race purely to act as a beacon for That Guys. Prove me wrong.
No.

it's simple. Kill him, before he kills you

If you're a new DM, a good way to say no to something shitty is to say "hey, sorry guys, I'm new and I wouldn't know how to handle that. [cue embarrassed looking uwu blushing]"

Well shit dude, if he hit on you despite being married you can't trust him to do anything right ever. (Unless that was the other guy?)

Also, your game store sounds like shit. Being unable to kick people at all? Really? Jesus.

Man, seven players is kind of a crowd for me and I've been dm-ing for years. It's hard to pass the spotlight around fairly with that many people.

>class built around being a virtuous knight
>liberfag SJWs twist it into being "lol a champion of an ideal"
>completely destroy all meaning of the class

God I wish all these fucking faggots were put to death. Fuck off, stop ruining D&D with this bullshit. Paladin of freedom and gray knight were bad enough but at least they were optional rules in Unearthed Arcana. Now you can play a tranny demi-sexual and be a chaotic-evil paladin or a neutral good blackguard or a lawful good lich because WHY NOT? Why should anything have any meaning or structure? Everything should be open and free, do whatever the fuck you want! And thus destroy a mythos that actually felt rich and pure, just so you can have your special snowflake character.

You motherfuckers did this. And we will never forgive you.

fuck off /pol/tard. Not everything is related to your internet slap fights.

This has nothing to do with /pol/. This has to do with morons being morons. Lawful evil paladin is fucking moronic. And when people say why, you say "because the class is meant to be lawful good." And they say "LOL NO THAT's JUST HOW IT USED TO BE, STOP BEING ANTI-PROGRESS, STOP BEING CLOSE-MINDED."

Fuck. Off. Stop destroying D&D's identity and turning it into the disgusting soul-less schlock of 99% of modern fantasy settings.

>CE Paladin
>Somehow makes this an argument about transexuals.
>???

It's a parallel example to show how the nuD&D creators are putting "play what you want" before the tone of the world. It's like letting you play a transdemisexual in Lord of the Rings, it is not a part of the setting, keep it the fuck out, it ruins the tone. Just like playing a minotaur in Middle Earth would be stupid because that shit doesn't exist in Middle Earth. But the nuD&D players will whinge and whine, "stop restricting me," and "fun comes first, your autistic setting doesn't matter" and then laugh hysterically when they roll a nat20 and force you to have Denethor suck xir dick.

No one gives a fuck, go cry somewhere else.

>transdemisexual in Lord of the Rings
>not a part of the setting
>ruins the tone

Friendo, how does a dude who wants to dress like a chick ruin the setting which *invented modern elves*? How fucking retarded are you?

Take your /pol/shit back to your containment board.

Why are you giving responses to the troll who is doing this literally just to get responses?

Tolkien Elves aren't... They, aren't even close to what you are describing. Are you actually retarded?

>New Player
>wants to be Evil of any flavor
Nah. Tell him he's either gonna play Good, or not play at all. Same with Chaotic. Never trust a new guy with Chaotic.

>Killed his entire party
Fuck this guy already. There is a vanishingly small chance this guy isn't a shitter. If you HAVE to play with him, make it a one-off to see how he plays. If there's ANY red flags, kick him.

I don't think you've played D&D in the last forty years if you think it can only have stuff that fits in Middle Earth, or that it has enforced consistent content.

>No one gives a fuck, go cry somewhere else.
No. You bastards can get the fuck out of our hobby.

>Friendo, how does a dude who wants to dress like a chick ruin the setting which *invented modern elves*? How fucking retarded are you?
Because Lord of the Rings elves are not gay, that stupid meme was invented to give them a foothold into introducing gays and lesbians into D&D. Same with the androgynous Corellon.

It was an analogy you idiot. Of course D&D is not Middle Earth. But the implied setting of AD&D is far richer than the 3e+ kitchen sink horse shit.

>hey, can players playing an Evil alignment have access to a holy warrior class too? One that isn't a DMG prestige class?
>eh, sure.
>FUCKING LIBERALS YOU ARE RUINING D&D

holy hell get a grip

Right?

What does being 'liberal' even have to do with playing a paladin that's evil? I.. don't even think words have meanings anymore. We just say anything.

You fuckin hipster nazi

D&D was even more of a fantasy kitchen sink before 3e though. It didn't even keep itself to "Fantasy" as genre authors think of it now.

All I read is "People should play characters they way I want them to"

You are "that guy"

Why the fuck can't some one play an evil knight dedicated to an evil god?

If there is one word that can best describe an evil paladin it's: edglord hipster

>evil gods aren't allowed to have champions
>m-muh rich mythos that totally wasn't a hodgepodge of Tolkien, Moorcock and whatever Gygax was reading at the time!
Shut the fuck up and take those rose-tints off you giant talking dildo

This guy gets it
These are faggots

>If there is one word that can best describe an evil paladin it's: edglord hipster
No, it's "blackguard." That's what an evil paladin is fucking CALLED. And "edgelord hipster" is two words, but I am going to hope you were being ironic.

Evil gods can have champions, but they are NOT fucking PALADINS.

'Hey guys, there's this potential player who usually loves PVP. How do you guys feel about PVP?'

>All I read is "People should play characters they way I want them to"
No you stupid fucking piece of shit, they should play characters of a proper class. If you want to be an evil knight, you play a blackguard. Paladins are Lawful Good. That is what they have been since the beginning of time. That's what the *rules* say you stupid fucking piece of shit. Just because 5e said "lol you can be whatever you want because that's progressive and D&D is progressive now" doesn't mean it's okay.

And by the way, when I am the DM, you play whatever I allow you to play, okay? Got that, boy? Otherwise you can just go find an Adventurer's League group to deal with your edgy knight.

Oh and by the way, also, when you play your "edgelord knight" in a group full of good-aligned characters, YOU are that guy. No, no, no, you don't get to play whatever you want, you play something that meshes with the rest of the party, you narcissistic millennial fuck. What you want, does not matter. Despite the likes you get on Snapgram, no one gives a fuck about what you want. So you can either play something that meshes well with the group, or you can go fuck yourself. That's the way social hobbies with other people work. None of this "compromise is meeting people halfway, which ACTUALLY means giving me everything I want." Fuck off, stop trying to twist the classes into meaningless parodies of themselves. It's not interesting, it's not creative, it's the RPG equivalent of a child smearing shit on the wall in the vague shape of a smiley face. And there's a point where you stop smiling through your teeth and pretending it's cute, and go get the fucking cattle prod.

Don't hold back, user, tell us how you really feel.

>MAN I FUCKING WISH Veeky Forums WASN'T SO TERRIBLE NOW
>oh hey obvious bait, let's give it (You)s

hmm

I feel you, user

theres probably no politics involved all the time tho.

What if every character I make is lawful evil even if in behavior they replicate altruistic paladins of virtue due to the fact it will earn them the greatest rewards?

Only stupid characters aren't lawful evil, user.

tell them no. its that easy user, just say no

True. I just lump it in with the whole nuD&D bullshit that has gone around since 2008 or so, trying to make the game mainstream. I don't mind people being in my sekrit klub but when they try to dilute and warp the already existent culture then it is time to actively resist their presence.

>when I am the DM
which is never because nobody wants to play with your autistic anally-pained ass
>hurrrrr you need to play blackguard if you evil!!!
Bitch please, nowhere outside of D&D is this a thing, and when has sticking with what that did without a damn good reason ever worked out?

"D&D culture" is also responsible for all that "hurr nat 20" shit idiots like you bitch about, as well as shit like Pun-Pun, caster supremacy, killer housecats and other such things that should be dumped

That's clearly not true, given how many triggered libshits responded to his post. What you meant to say is, "I disagree vehemently with you and wish you to vacate my safe space."

>When a company comes out with a new product, they have NO RIGHT to make it functionally or thematically different from the one that I liked

>he said, while screeching autistically about people invading his overweight manchild safe space

lol

What if you are "that guy"? Well Sorta...

>Join Pathfinder game that I'm friends with the DM but haven't met anyone else.
>Everyone seems fine, typical group of players.
>I'm pretty relaxed as I've done several campaigns with my friend as DM before so know how he works.
>Typical start, friends sets up the scenario of starting in a tavern ect, to make things more interesting I act as a rich ex-military man now merchant interviewing and recruiting people to go on an adventure. This works 2 fold as both a way to instigate my self as team leader and learn a bit about the other players.
>Ask the room in general if anyone would be interested in joining my crew.
>No one speaks up, they just look around expecting someone else to speak first.
>"Oh god, it's going to be one of those games"
>"and it totally was"
>Basically had to spend the next 4 sessions the campaign lasted making every decision and recommending actions every fight.

In the end, my friend told me that they started another campaign but requested I didn't join because I was being "that guy". It lasted 2 sessions before my friend basically quit because he was so fucking bored that nothing was happening.

>he said, without any sense of self awareness

lol

>champions of a god
That's clerics you're thinking of. Paladins don't get their powers from gods, in the same way that Druids don't get their powers from gods.

Here's what you should do OP: conspire with the other players to have them gang up on him and kill his character in the first session, then play it as a joke (lol you got pranked don't get mad it's just a game bro). Seeing how he handles tasting his own medicine lets you know whether you should keep him as a player or not. Hope this helps!

more cock

Are you, perchance, in Montreal?

>you can't disagree with someone being an idiot on Veeky Forums without being a librul
Back to your echo-chamber.

>Tries to make yourself the MC and the rest of the party the NPC's.

Yeps, you're that guy.

Drink thee glasses of bleach.

It will fix all the problems.

Oh hey, I've been looking for a picture of a Germany's future.

Just fucking say no.

Jesus Christ, at least half the complaint stories that get posted here can get solved by not being a spineless worm who doesn't communicate. No shit characters, no shit players.

Nigga now this story is getting too fucking complicated.

TLDR start a new thread when you have all the info. In the meantime remember to be a mature grownup about personality differences in role playing games.

Anyone got that "Say it in 20 words or less" reaction pick from one punch guy?

>A class designed to uphold everything that's holy, to protect the weak and frail from the tyrants, to belive in the law and prosecute everyone that breaks ir.

>CE

k

What is wrong with you losers? Honestly? Someone wants to come to your house who you don't want to come, they're going to fuck up your carefully planned activities and you don't feel able to just say 'fuck off'? Were you all bullied too much at school or not enough?

Well they can do whatever they want with their IP. But I have a right to not buy it, shamelessly pirate it, and do whatever I can to discredit them, within the law. Wizards of the Coast is a kike company owned by an even bigger kike company (Hasbro) and they constantly try to shoehorn politics into D&D without shame or relent. This is why we have bullshit like Chaotic Evil paladins: because some faggot fuck played Dark Scrolls and now wants to be an ebin edgy dark knight, so now years of established lore have to be uprooted just so johnny edgelord can play whatever the fuck he wants. Well fuck him. He can rot in hell, and this is why I actively resist attempts to welcome new players into the hobby. Most of them are video-game-obsessed shits who will literally call out "lol this is a sidequest" if an NPC even mentions something, and act like their meta-knowledge makes them so clever. In reality, it makes them act like complete morons, often getting themselves into encounters they can barely win, or calling out any difficult opponent as "the boss" causing them to leave the dungeon shortly thereafter. Not to mention the natural 20 fetishism that has spread through the hobby the past few years. Normalfags cannot comprehend most of D&D or what makes it interesting or satisfying, so they instead focus on the nat20 meme, made more visible and prevalent to them by the dozens of Veeky Forums greentexts that have been shared on Tumblr and even Facebook (normie central). As a result, we have shittons of people joining the hobby since around 2010 (which probably includes a good 50% of Veeky Forums) who have no knowledge of D&D culture or tone, and instead try to shoehorn dark scrolls / skyrim crap into it. Case in point: every time I visit /5eg/ I find some faggot asking for advice on how to put khaleesi or argonians or some other fucking elder scrolls race into his game.

Just stop. Just fucking stop.

>she was so new to it, it was impossible to be That Guy
Incorrect. That Guy has no bounds by system experience. Sure, That Guy might make a heniously broken build spanning sixteen rulebooks and ruleslawyer every game to a grinding halt, but thats just a symptom, and being That Guy is just a state of assholeism. It carries over from video games, it carries over from work, it carries over from bitchy social life, it carries over from a spoiled childhood. New players can absolutely end up as that guy and don't let your guard down for ONE MINUTE to think otherwise.

So, really what you're pissed about isn't /pol/ or SJWs. It's just structure, and respect for structure and pre-established mythos. This is the conflicr between modernism and postmodernism.

It used to be that people would come to the hobby because they liked the mythos and wanted to play within that structure, building upon the rich lore.

Now, newer players who want to play edgelord paladins are selfish and have no respect for the setting, expecting everything to cater to their ideas, and the lore to bend to their will, believing their ~individuality~ to be superior to the mythos.

I think both types of play are acceptable, really, but which style is right depends very much on the game you play, who is running it, and what the group has decided on beforehand, freeform or preestablished.

But also.
>shamelessly pirate
>acting within the law

Try again.

>A fun guy

Television has ruined me.

In 2E I think there were Exemplars, paladins devoted to alignments other than LG. Of course they would have to fluff the abilities differently.

Why would you just assume you're going to be the team leader?

You're a poster child for the toxic gamer stereotype. Your precious "gamer culture" is not sacred, no one gives a shit about being a purist, and stop being a gatekeeping faggot acting like you're better than everyone else.

Newsflash, anyone playing a tabletop RPG is not a normie. It's not at all a socially accepted hobby if you bothered to crawl outside of your hole. Being this fucking triggered by the thought of normies invading your hobby is unhealthy to the point of repulsion.

>But I have a right to not buy it
Sure
>shamelessly pirate it
Actually, you do NOT have a right to pirate. You might feel you have a moral justification (you don't) but rights are something different in that regards.

You do NOT have a right to something you don't pay for. You're just being entitled if you think otherwise.

>and do whatever I can to discredit them, within the law.
Sure. And people are able to call you a retard, which they've been doing.

>antisemitic rant
Okay buddy.

>his is why we have bullshit like Chaotic Evil paladins: because some faggot fuck played Dark Scrolls and now wants to be an ebin edgy dark knight, so now years of established lore have to be uprooted just so johnny edgelord can play whatever the fuck he wants.
The concept of evil paladins predates Dark Souls.

And the idea of an evil Paladin is not some concept born of anything new. In fact, if you go and pick up Dragon #39, and turn to page 8, you'll find this thing called an Anti-Paladin. But if you want Paladins of all alignments, Dragon 106, page 45, an article titled "A Plethora of Paladins" gives rules for Paladins of any alignment.

This concept has LITERALLY been in the game since 1st edition. Video games have fuck all to do with it.

>. He can rot in hell, and this is why I actively resist attempts to welcome new players into the hobby.

I welcome him with open arms because he's clearly someone who's here to have fun.

>Most of them are video-game-obsessed shits who will literally call out "lol this is a sidequest" if an NPC even mentions something, and act like their meta-knowledge makes them so clever.
Grognards have done this since the beginning, and the fact that younger people who have played video games also do it does nothing to change that.

I'm basically already out of space so I won't bother with the rest of it. But basically, the "normalfags" you're fighting against? They've been here the whole time. THE CALL IS COMING FROM INSIDE THE HOUSE.

>The only winning move with That Guy is to not let him play.
ftfy

People are so angry on this website

>a class designed to be a servant and enforcer of their god's creed
Next you'll be saying you should totally allow a paladin of atheism or something equally fucktarded

>dark scrolls
Oh this explains everything, it's Virt shitposting again. How's failing at everything that isn't threatening people with a knife going Craigie?

Paladin of atheism sounds so super autistic

I know right? Almost as autistic as rigid alignment requirements, since alignments in general are shit!

>2020-3
>not understanding that alignment is gender

>saying "kike" a couple times is an antisemitic rant
>you can own ideas or knowledge
>the reason people want to play dark paladins in 2017 is the same as the reason they wanted to play them in 1990
>anti-paladin as a separate class is the same as a paladin who is chaotic evil
>anti-paladin is meant to be a PC class
>wanting to "have fun" makes you a good roleplayer
>the tabletop hobby is dying without new blood
>if we don't man up and start letting everyone who wants to play D&D into our groups, we'll end up with no one to play with
>grognards act like their in a vidya
>implying you've ever met any real grognards