So I just picked up anima because I found a hard copy of the rules. However I can't make heads or tails of the system...

So I just picked up anima because I found a hard copy of the rules. However I can't make heads or tails of the system, I also have heard about a core addition thing but have no clue what that is. If any more knowledgeable anons could help or dump some cheat sheets or something it would be appreciated.

Also anima thread I guess.

Other urls found in this thread:

drive.google.com/drive/folders/0Bw6m-aNBSyZNQm0ycWVIa09sUFk?usp=sharing
docs.google.com/document/d/1EmVicfmOTa_8Yt3TbR0LMTMBxiFT9KbtPH47Xr_rRHM/edit?usp=drivesdk
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

well damn I knew I messed up somewhere in the op

In short:
Roll 1d100+modifiers big=good.
Stat checks are vs 10 and d10+stat in core exxet.

Core exxet changes (Probably tomorrow I will revise spelsl as there is some that are wrong, first spell in essence is DAILY nor per round and homunculi specifies NO gift, so stop giving them zeon they can't share):
drive.google.com/drive/folders/0Bw6m-aNBSyZNQm0ycWVIa09sUFk?usp=sharing

Assorted protips:
Combat formula is attack-(defense+absorption (flat 20)+TA if relevant)/100*weapon damage, this is very fast to do with a calculator. Also calculate your weapons 1% damage and multiply that by the result of any attack (attack-defense(+relevant TA absorption if you're using that too)) for maximum optimal speed, that way you don't need to /100 you just do *1% damage.
Example:
I attack at 162 vs someone with no armor who rolls 100 total is 42% weapon damage (20 absorption) my weapon in total deals 70 damage (0.7) 42*0.7=29.4 damage total, rounding up or down is up to you.
Anima's downtime is "Anime", ie weeks to months to year timeskips, not 24hours, specially for wizards and summoners who pack power but they require time, also of course training.
And remember, the player will bullshit, that's fine and expected. Bullshit is like magic, it can only be fought by bullshit, and believe me anima makes everyone distilled bullshit, when in doubt get see supernatural and feel free to slap the summoner.

>AnimE thread
user! They'll notice!

Anima was a really interesting concept, but in its execution comes off as a disjointed flaming mess. Hundreds of small subsystems for everything, and none of the subsystems synergize at all. Furthermore, the core rulebook is so poorly written and organized that it's an aggravating slog trying to create a character for the first time, or learning the game.
I was in the same boat as you, thought it looked cool and everything, but it just isnt' worth it. Play Exalted or an anime themed FATE game instead.

The minute I noticed I auto piloted I accepted this threads death.

docs.google.com/document/d/1EmVicfmOTa_8Yt3TbR0LMTMBxiFT9KbtPH47Xr_rRHM/edit?usp=drivesdk

Still WIP so don't expect too much.

>Play Exalted
Do not listen to this man. He is not your friend.

3e is okay I think, but I still wanna try anima

>Hundreds of small subsystems for everything, and none of the subsystems synergize at all.
What do you mean?

Magic works different from Ki, which works different from Psychic stuff, which works different from Summoning, etc.

So even if you learn one thing really well, like Magic, that knowledge doesn't really carry over to playing, say, a Ki user.

How is this any different than say "wizard spells don't stack with cleric spells"? Ignoring the fact that making a combination build is not only very possible but basically mandatory if you don't care about skills, or that everyone gets MK in order to learn some ki abilities no matter what class you take, this seems like a silly complaint that different types of characters do different things.

By having each thing work differently it lets them balance the options against eachother a lot better than most other high power games, too.

Because the differences are largely annoying and unnecessary.

Keeping with the Magic vs Ki example. Magic has its resources in a single pool, they accumulate that reasource using a single accumulation statistic, they learn spells automatically via their Intelligence/Magic Level.

Meanwhile Ki has a pool of resources for each of their Characteristics, they accumulate Ki seperately for each Characteristic, they have to spend MK to learn Ki Abilities/Techniques, and they don't get automatic MK from any specific Characteristic.

Then you have Psychics, which function completely different then both of those things.

While it's cool, it can make learning how to play the game really difficult because everything is so dissimilar. It's not at all like DnD, where Divine casters and Arcane casters operate fundamentally the same way with only minor differences between the two.

> they learn spells automatically via their Intelligence/Magic Level.
This isn't actuallly the case outside of first level, and even then its suggested in the magic splat that you limit this.

>Meanwhile Ki has a pool of resources for each of their Characteristics, they accumulate Ki seperately for each Characteristic
The ki book has an optional rule to simply it a little, and there's a perk to simply it even further.

>and they don't get automatic MK from any specific Characteristic.
Because they automatically get it based on class

What part of any of that is "unnecessary"? If you're too low IQ to understand this stuff, there's nothing stopping you from playing a normie character, unlike D&D anima is actually balanced so that you aren't inherantly fucked if you don't have magic powers.

Look, if you're just gonna be a sperg then I'll put it simply:

Why does a Magic user have to buy The Gift advantage when Ki users and Psychic users don't?

since people are talking, anybody have a way to understand character creation?

>Why does a Magic user have to buy The Gift advantage when Ki users and Psychic users don't?
Because being able to use magic is a huge advantage, so you have to actually make a choice between "access to a turn of fantastic powers" or something more generally useful like see supernatural, and have to talk a penalty if you want both. Why is this a problem?

For the record, psychics have to buy an advantage to use their powers (same cost to use any type of power, or they can get it for half price if they want to only use one category aka 5-8 powers) and ki users probably want to buy perks to increase their regeneration rate.

Come up with a character concept first and then try to figure out what class best represents it, then fill in your points from there. Try not to read the whole book at once without someone to explain stuff more clearly because anima is translated pretty badly into english and not layerd in a way that really makes a lot of sense.

>Why is this a problem?
Everyone I've spoken with about Anima has the opinion that Ki is massively more powerful than Magic.

That depends on a lot of factors. Ki can be built to have lots of direct combat power, but any build that does that will have just as if not more points spent on advantages to boost ki than a magic user that's still effective will, so the gift costing points too is kind of irrelevant. Furthermore, magic has tons of ways to solve problems that don't involve murdering people, ki has almost none. Even then, max level magic is the single strongest thing in the setting and literally gives you godlike powers (while ki techniques cap out at "make a really big explosion", getting really big numbers or a comically high save or die effects vs local enemies)

There's also a lot of GM fiat involved in order to actually learn ki abilities (and magic too, but not as strongly), with the book suggesting heavily that people shouldn't just magically learn a new ability just because their got an arbitrary EXP milestone.

On the other hand, in the setting High level magic is equally rare (if not more so) and tends to get one involved with really powerful supernatural creatures and the Inquisition.

And being goku wouldn't?

Apparently not since most things only seem to give a shit about "supernatural" abilities.

Ki is supernatural after a very short point in time. It's pretty explicit about that.

The Inquisition makes little distinction between Ki and Magic if you're making a showy display of it in public. The fact that it isn't TECHNICALLY supernatural doesn't matter to the average person, which means it doesn't matter to the Inquisition because it's their job to prevent the plebs from realizing that they're living in an anime and not medieval Europe.

Because of animas shaky translation there is both Supernatural as the description for magic/zeon fuled powers, and then Supernatural to just mean anything non mudane. There's a bunch of abilities that specifically say they work on ki/magic/psionics with a superior but more costly version that just works against the supernatural, with the "see supernatural" perk being the most obvious

>The Gift
Do Summoners need to buy this? I don't think they do, I don't remember the example Summoner in the GM Toolkit having it.

You don't. By RAW you need it in order to get any of the zeon based advantages but that feels like a genuine mistake since RAI is that summoning is magic even people without a mutant power can access

Is that Spanish RAW or janky FFG English RAW?

Anybody got some stories of actual play or even dumb jokes about this system?

Me and my group have played anima regularly for years and we still have "400 tridents per round" moments where we realize we fudged a rule.

We got the term from reading the rate of fire table and then it not explaining itself for several pages. The rate of fire for projected and thrown weapons work opposite to each other in the first step of their calculations.

We like the preposterous notion of throwing 400 tridents in a 6 second time frame so we bring it up as a meme from time to time.

Also we way too often roll leg severed on critical hits which is pretty funny too.

Because magic has more options than fucking ki, and mentalists still need either "half" gift (access to one) or full gift (access to all).

And ki users should still just get martial training x3 as their "tax"

Spanish, you can't get regen without the gift.