How would Conan fare one-on-one against some of the best fighters on Westeros?

How would Conan fare one-on-one against some of the best fighters on Westeros?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=4BXd7nuJkPQ
gutenberg.net.au/ebooks13/1303881h.html
hplovecraft.com/writings/texts/fiction/cb.aspx
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I haven't heard of any Westerosi that would be a match for Conan. The fact that you didn't advance a definite candidate gives the impression that you don't have much confidence in them either. If you're looking for epic fantasy match-ups, the old standard is John Carter vs. Conan.

How about Elric with Stormbringer versus Conan?

Conan would win, because my dislike of GoT empowers him.

I'm fairly sure Conan all by himself can defeat an entire Khalasar

It'd be a total slaughter. Conan would rule the place inside of a week. And he'd be a damn good king, too, not the least of which because as soon as someone said "zombie army coming from the north", he'd say "I am officially done with allowing you petty barons to fight one another. All of our armies are going north NOW to kill the zombies. Anyone who doesn't like it can fight me."

Only it'd be a bit more purple prose-y and better sounding.

So basically he'd be John Snow but better in every way?

Probably? I don't know much about Game of Thrones. All I know is that Conan in Westeros means Conan joining the army of whoever's currently sitting on the Iron Throne, making friendly with all the troops and getting him to like them, then turning that army against whoever's currently on the Iron Throne and personally leading the troops to seize it himself, slaughtering anyone who gets in his way.

TWICE he did something like that in a Howard Conan story that I've read. If Conan is in your army, just make him your King right off the bat. It's faster and much less painful.

Westerosi fight in full plate, Conan at best wears Iron Age chain. He'd be a savage fighter and he'd probably kill plenty of knights, but I doubt he'd last against like the Mountain or other big, strong armored opponents. Though didn't Hyborea have a realm of medieval style knights alongside the not!Rome and not!Egypt? So, maybe he'd be fine?

well, jaime is generally considered the best, and I just don't think he'd beat conan

Here's his stats, according to gary gygax himself. In case you didn't know it, conan is a huge gary-stu, but people don't care because he's been around forever. It's kinda the point of his stories, too.

That said, I'd give two-hands Jaime and a cool-headed Oberyn the best chances. Both of them together could do it, I bet. Why not Gregor? Because Conan regularly beats massively huge and strong enemies like it's nothing.

Dude, Conan would decimate the Mountain in one blow, he's Gatsu levels of brutal.

Has Conan ever killed a dragon or something else similarly large? Because if he has, then chewing apart knights should be no problem at all.

I read a story where him and some archer princess fight one. I don't remember how it went, but I do remember the chick shooting arrows at its eyes and the arrows bounced off, so I'm guessing Conan finished the fight.

Protip: Conan isn't stupid. He's ran away from fights that he didn't think he could win, and isn't above using underhanded tricks. He's not going to attempt to fight an entire army by himself if he can do what this user said

The most impressive fighter in aSoIaF was Strong Belwas, an undefeated pit champion who allows every opponent to cut him once before killing him, which implies a very high level of skill (and, because he is covered in scars, a lot of experience). He survives eating a bowl of poisoned locusts, and is extremely large and strong. He's not actually from Westeros but it fits the spirit of your question.

There are other people we could talk about, but nobody has any feats to suggest they are better than Belwas (then again, we rarely see them fight).

Still, Conan supposedly broke the neck of a wild bull before he was a grown man, in addition to being extremely cunning and having enormous skill and experience as a fighter. So at minimum he's like Belwas on steroids. I don't see anyone else standing a chance.

basically this and this Conan is essentially the best in everything while remaining conceivably human.
He needs another pulp-hero level character to properly challenge him.

Reminder that Conan once strangled a dude bigger than him while said dude was trying to strangle him.

The Mountain was the most physically impressive specimen in Westeros, even he got beaten by a ninja flipping faggot with a pointy stick.

Baal-pteor the Strangler m8
>I think you never saw a man from the West before. Did you deem yourself strong, because you were able to twist the heads off civilized folk, poor weaklings with muscles like rotten string? Hell! Break the neck of a wild Cimmerian bull before you call yourself strong. I did that, before I was a full-grown man — like this!

That would be a very interesting fight, actually.
Conan can soak up massive amounts of damage and still kick ass
But
Elric gets stronger the more damage he inflicts... at least to a certain degree.

I'd still have to go with Conan

Some of the best I know are Breeane of Tarth, Clegane, Jamie, and the Mountain.

The thing about Conan (and Red Sonja, actually) people tend to forget is that he's not JUST strong. He's also fast and quit witted. He's a very intelligent individual, just not book learned.

Breane and Clegane fight in very similar manners. They're well trained, quick, and strong. Clegane is more brutal, but both of them would get overwhelmed by Conan's sheer strength. He's comparable to the Mountain.

Jamie would be his toughest fight, since they're both intelligent fighters. Jamie is probably faster, Conan is definitely stronger, but Conan is also dirtier. Once he realized that, he'd fight dirty and mean and get the upper hand.

Against the Mountain, his speed would mean he'd dance around the Mountain's clumsy strikes. They could match each other in strength, but Conan's skill and speed would easily win him the day.

>Elric
How have I not heard of this guy yet? I have new books to read now!

Because it's shit mate.
Elric can best be described as
>Incompetent man-child albino fucks everything up forever and dies alone and unmourned
If you like that kind of thing, more power to you I guess.

No, he's Sasuke levels of bad

Yeah, the realm is called Aquilonia, which borders his homeland of Cimmeria, so he's fully aware of the knights and plate and everything. Hell, he took part in a raid to destroy an Aquilonian colony-city, Venerium, when he was about 14.

Conan eventually became King of Aquilonia, incidentally.

>Has Conan ever killed a dragon or something else similarly large?

In Howard's original stories? Yup, with poison and an improvised spear, in "Red Nails", the last Conan story written by Howard.

While shit-talking the guy's strangling abilities, too...like, it wasn't just that he out-strangled the guy, he actually mocked the guy's attempts AND sang the praises of his own ability to strangle.

>Conan's low laugh was merciless as the ring of steel.

>"You fool!" he all but whispered. "I think you never saw a man from the West before. Did you deem yourself strong, because you were able to twist the heads off civilized folk, poor weaklings with muscles like rotten string? Hell! Break the neck of a wild Cimmerian bull before you call yourself strong. I did that, before I was a full-grown man—like this!"

>And with a savage wrench he twisted Baal-pteor's head around until the ghastly face leered over the left shoulder, and the vertebrae snapped like a rotten branch.

He's a bit like Conan in this regard: he gets a free pass at a lot of shit simply because he was just about the first to bring them up.

His stories aren't as bad as people say, anyway. I've read through them fine. Give a few a go, see how you swallow them.

God dammit. I need some fantasy to read then. Already read all of Conan, Gerald Terrant, and some other stuff. I just need a lengthy series of dark high fantasy mate. I'm bored.

You could give Corum a shot. It's by the same author than Elric but a great deal better read.

I know he once fought and killed something heavily implied to be a star-spawn from the Cthulhu mythos.

Aragorn would be one of the only who could.win against conan.

Fritz Leiber senpai.
You will never enjoy anything as much as Fafhrd and Grey Mouser.
They're amazing.
They are literally the best.
Either that or Solomon Kane, Howards other works are pretty baller as well.

Yeah, I recall that also. I believe in a non-Howard book he killed some necromancer fucks that were fighting to release/destroy the Cthulhu baby.

>Solomon Kane
A friend of mine recommended watching the movie, but I never knew it was a book series. Neat.

Yeah, but a few sentences later Conan admits that Baal-Pteor almost strangled him.
He talks a big game--because fuck Baal-Pteor and his nonsense boasting before the struggle--but Conan almost dies in the fight.

>Conan hurled the flopping corpse to the floor, turned to the sword again, and gripped the hilt with both hands, bracing his feet against the floor. Blood trickled down his broad breast from the wounds Baal-pteor's finger nails had torn in the skin of his neck. His black hair was damp, sweat ran down his face, and his chest heaved. For all his vocal scorn of Baal-pteor's strength, he had almost met his match in the inhuman Kosalan.

youtube.com/watch?v=4BXd7nuJkPQ
Enjoy.
This poem basically sums up his greatest adventures.
And yes, they're all Conan tier of good.

Also, Kull is great, Bran Mak Morn. Have a nose around for Howards other stuff.
If you like bullshit entertainment Becken Elridge is great.

Shit. Trying to find any books on the dude. Libgen brings up nothing. Guess I'll hit up the pdf thread. I'm intrigued.

Got your back senpai
gutenberg.net.au/ebooks13/1303881h.html

Heavily implied nothing, it IS a star-spawn. Lovecraft and Howard snuck references to each other's works into their stories all the time. They were real-life friends.

Oh shit, it's out of copywrite? Neato. I completely forgot gutenberg existed for some reason. THank you.

They also disagreed on the place of the barbarian as a bringer or ruiner of civilization. Interesting letters between those two.

Try Solomon Kane

If I remember right Strombringer kills the moment it inflicts any kind of wound, even small cuts. As long as it draws blood it sucks the soul. Not to mention it can sheer through most nonmagical armour.
Elric also has some extremely powerful spells. If hes able to get any kind of opening to cast he'd be able to conjure up something very nasty.

Conan would be smart enough to recognise the sorcerous threat of Elric and his sword. It's close but if Conan does his thing and fights extremely aggressively he'd have a decent chance of winning. But if Elric get prep-time or a chance to flee and cast a spell than Conan will be in some extreme danger.
As kick-ass as Conan is, he usually needs help in overcoming powerful sorcery.

Already on it senpai.

The Mountain was also functionally retarded.

I think the single greatest moment in literature has to be that time Lovecraft, Howard and a few other authors did a round robin short story
Lovecraft did a chapter about the character getting abducted and turned into an abomination by aliens from beyond the stars and oh god isn't it terrible.
Then Howard took over for the next chapter
3 lines in the character has decided his new body is rad as fuck since what's in a form, got himself a high tech alien gun and been told to go and kick shit on the moons of Zardon or some bollocks and the other authors just fucking ran with it.
10/10.

He also got crucified once for doing that same thing. Granted he did get rescued by a warlord and joined his army, only to become friendly with his men and eventually lead them to overthrow the warlord.

>As kick-ass as Conan is, he usually needs help in overcoming powerful sorcery.
Whereas I definitely agree with you, what most folks forget is that Conan is also a master of underhanded tricks, and stealth as well.
I don't think Conan would hesitate one minute in assassinating elric

Contra these guys ( and ) the Elric books rule. The stories just keep spiraling into new levels of insanity. Elric isn't deep, but he's tragic enough not to be despicable, and he tries to fight against his ancient evil race's inheritance. But the star is really the universe building. There are so many bizarre nations, wizards, magics, destinies, demons, gods, and planes of reality swirling around. I find it an imaginative tour de force to read.

This guy () is right that Corum is better, and the Hawkmoon History of the Runestaff books are better than Conan too. They both fall into the same all-but-psychadelic-and-insane multiverse and style though. I love it all.

>Steepe drunkard
>Warlord
That fucker he overthrew was a desert loving, scum drinking, horse fucking steepe nomad. He was surrounded by other steepe niggers.

>better than Conan too
I meant to say "better than Elric" there. My apologies.

Found it:
hplovecraft.com/writings/texts/fiction/cb.aspx

>He fought down an unreasoning horror. Judged from a cosmic standpoint, why should his metamorphosis horrify him? Life and consciousness were the only realities in the universe. Form was unimportant. His present body was hideous only according to terrestrial standards. Fear and revulsion were drowned in the excitement of titanic adventure.
>What was his former body but a cloak, eventually to be cast off at death anyway? He had no sentimental illusions about the life from which he had been exiled. What had it ever given him save toil, poverty, continual frustration and repression? If this life before him offered no more, at least it offered no less. Intuition told him it offered more—much more.

HA! I can see that snide fuckers shit eating grin as he wrote that down.

Also, check out Fafhrd, serious.
>"Now about Lankhmar. She's been invaded, her walls breached everywhere and desperate fighting is going on in the streets, by a fierce host which out-numbers Lankhamar's inhabitants by fifty to one — and equipped with all modern weapons. Yet you can save the city."
>"How?" demanded Fafhrd.
>Ningauble shrugged. "You're a hero. You should know."
It's literally your D&D game, before D&D was invented

So many recommendations. I drown in literature. Reading SOlomon Kane right now.

Also, seriously Kull is great.
He's like Conan with 20% more naval gazing.
The Shadow Kingdom is the origin of Serpentmen as a concept basically.
And it's amazing.

Drowning. Drowning.

You just saved yourself from proclaiming some serious heresy, mate.

Wasn't HP Lovecraft in the room, too? Like, all the authors involved were? And wasn't Lovecraft laughing his ass off? I seem to remember that.

A few weeks ago there was a thread about (you) getting to play in a game with Gary Gygax as the DM, and play alongside CS Lewis, JRR Tolkien, and Jack Chick. I managed to convince the OP to also include Howard and Lovecraft as fifth and sixth party members.

It was decided that the most likely result is Lewis and Tolkien doing awesome world-building, Gygax and Chick trying to kill each other. The ones who are actually enjoying the game are (you), Howard, and Lovecraft, with the latter two basically having brought beer and chips to the party and their every other line of dialogue being "fuck it, hold my beer, I got this."

I wish Conan wore armor more, I like that Dark Ages sorta look

Fun fact, Conan does wear armor, in like, 90% of his stories.

Everyone is weak compared to Conan. Kinda the point of the books.

>"How did you get away?" he asked presently.

>Conan tapped his mail-shirt and helmet. "If more borderers would wear harness there'd be fewer skulls hanging on the altar-huts."

>Yeah, the realm is called Aquilonia
No it's not it's called Zingara.

Precisely. The Barbarian is exalted in Howard's mythos.

Zingara is more musketeers (sans muskets) and fencing and stuff. But Aquilonia and Nemedia both have knights in plate.

HERESY ALERT: I do like Moorcock's fantasy better than Conan.

Tell that to the artists

Corum also has the benefit of having an absolutely fantastic audiobook production.

And comics by Mike Fucking Mignola.

nigga say what

He would kill them all, topple all the major kingdoms, get bored and go beat up the lolmongols for being absolutely pathetic excuses for barbarians

Uh-huh.

This

Fafhrd and Grey Mousecatcher cycle is my childhood books. I love them very much. I dont think of them as of pinnacle of literature, obviously, but author did very good work on worldbuiling, made magic look like really magic, bizarre, rare and strange, all these locations and characters, swings between neat drunk hoborobbing and some epic shit, triumvirate of humor, not-over-the-edge-realism\tragedy and vibrantness of plot\pictures. Also action, is nice, the fencing\battle parts are godlike.
>tfw I try to imagine how good would Fritz Leiber be as GM.
>Dick is diamonds, but I was born after his death, so I never stood a chance.

For the record, to please anons like and (at the off-chance they don't know already), Mignola's done some Fafhrd and the Grey Mauser as well.

Oh, missed a page.