You've been hired to create an original board game. What is your idea? What are the core rules?

You've been hired to create an original board game. What is your idea? What are the core rules?

Likely bad and unoriginal, made by mashing together ideas I like until they create something someone else beat me to.
So for now, I like dice pools, a mechanic for passage of time like differently balanced phases, and a changing modular board. No idea about the fluff.

A non-modular board with a modular/random build within the set dimensions of the board. The game is based on a magical fae forest you are trying to escape without getting murdered/fucked by far creatures.

Archer: The Board Game for dat ezpz kekstarter cash.

Secret Role deckbuilder. Most of the players are trying to run the Agency into the ground as fast as possible - but one of them (The Figgis) is secretly trying to save it.

*Forgot my image.

A board game? Eh, I don't have enough experience with them but I'll give it a shot.

STITCHED - The Game of Monsters
You and up to 3 other players are wacky mad scientists in the Frankenstein mold. In a Victorian Gothic nation ruled by insane lords and blood-thirsty dukes, you scientists pursue esoteric knowledge in near total freedom, using the unfortunate serfs and occasional tourist as fodder for your insane experiments.

The one limitation on your success: money. You need money, oodles of money. To that end, the Duke of the country has instituted the Grand Hunt: a competition for grants, sponsors. Facing a series of challenges, you must lead your institute of study to victory and secure the lion's share of money for yourself, especially the Grand Prize: Chairmanship of the Duchal University, and control over all its resources.

First though, you must build a monster. This is done by selecting a brain to start with: anything from dogs with small brains to whales with huge brains. Each brain has a Complexity rating, which dictates the level of tasks it can easily complete and the types of parts it can easily control. If your Complexity is higher, you can do more things, but the creature is harder to control. Lower Complexity means its easier to control and instruct, but also that it is more limited in the challenges it can complete or the parts it can use.

From there, you build a body with Head, Torso, and Limbs. Torso dictates how many initial Limbs you can support, and some Limbs can support other Limbs.

Limbs, Head, and Torso dictate some of the abilities and attacks you can use. Having a shark Head, for example, means your monster can use a Savage Bite to attack obstacles, monsters, or serfs. Different parts have different Durability values, and some challenges and all attacks will reduce those Durability values until you lose a part and take a new one out of the Stockpile.

I've always wanted to do a wave-based co-operative zombie killing game that was like left 4 dead 2 survival mode. Just waves of zombies and you try to get the "high score" by surviving as long as you can. I wanted it to have good indepth strategy and such, though. Worked on it a lot but the rules kinda sucked although I did have some good synergy between players. Also wanted to avoid the "commander syndrome" of cooperative games, especially something like Pandemic where oftentimes one player micromanages the other 3.

Challenges and Battles are resolved through dice rolls because I can't think of another way to resolve them easily. Spinners? Tops with numbers on them? Just comparing numbers on cards?

Challenges are procedurally generated. A spinner determines what type of challenge it is, then players take turns building it by setting up tiles and game pieces. Each part has a set of ratings that correspond to the stats for each Part and Complexity. You might have a race, for instance, and the players must build a racecourse seven tiles long. They can stack crates along the way, with a Complexity of 2 to climb, or lay a grease trap with a Complexity of 4 to run through, or 2 to set ablaze and start dealing damage. The challenges they can build are selected from a general pile, and cards indicate what gamepieces and tiles do for different types of challenges.

Strategically choosing what parts to add and when to deliberately damage parts so you can get rid of them and acquire new ones should be the first layer of strategy in playing the game. After the first monster, built with your own funds, further draws from the Stockpile cost Gold. Different Parts have different Gold costs, so you never know how much the next draw will cost you. You can also pass on equipping that part and turning it back into the Stockpile, but you lose your draw opportunity and go into the next Challenge or Battle at a disadvantage.

The most obvious way of doing this is by taking on challenges you know will cause you to discard the part, but you could also get into fights with other players' monsters. These cost you gold, however, as you pay fines for "breaking" the rules of the tournament. Since the object of the game is to win the most gold and get the Chairmanship, you have to be careful how much you choose to spend.

Eventually, someone will lose their monster. That player is out of the game, and has to watch their rivals achieve wealth, power, and infamy.

Go away Hasbro

Unless they become Monster Hunters. They raise the hordes of serfs being used as slave labor and bait for the Grand Hunt, and unleash a pitchfork-wielding, torch-throwing, prayer-mumbling mob upon the participants. Players must combine their strengths to slay the roving mobs, utilizing all the tools of the Grand Tourney on a preset castle tileset, in order to crush the rebellion and decide the victor of the Hunt. If the Monster Hunter wins, they become the de facto Duke of the nation, and end the Hunts forever.

I'm not sure how balanced this game is, but it's something I want to make.

Fund it

Veeky Forums has no creativity left anymore.

>You've been hired to create an original board game.

I haven't, actually.

>What is your idea? What are the core rules?

If I were going to make one, I wouldn't post it here. Are you stupid?

I'd create Monopoly. That was a pretty good one

Why wouldn't you post it on Veeky Forums?

>Only people I wanna fuck can play
>They have 1 minute to give me fellatio
>First one to make me cum wins

I find it interesting because there is no first-turn advantage.

First thought?

>Criminal Empire Builders
Similar to the railway building game only you're building connections in a network of criminals while running scams, heists, and such.
Send me the royalty check care of moottwo.

Heh

People would steal it.

All the good ideas are already taken.

Or people don't want to make a boardgame for someone else to sell?

Dragon! (Spelled with the exclamation point) a worker placement-esque game in which you raze towns, steal cattle, and demand tribute. Razing towns increases your threat, which awards the opposing dragons detrimental cards such as questing knights and ancient wizards. Amass a mighty hoard, win a mate, and sire young!

When I was a kid, I made a magic the gathering rip off, that had a Day and night system....
also characters had genders... and there was a spell card that pretty much was a night assault on female cards dealing damage to them.....
I guess I was a freaking sicko

No, they wouldn't. I mean, as long as you don't spill literally your whole rulebook, they won't. Hell, even if you did. Dice tower guys have actually playtestwd and published games and they say do not waste your time trying to copyright your game.

Hence why you're on Veeky Forums

Board game

Players take turns striking each other with a wooden board. The attacker gets only one wood-to-skin contact per turn and the defender can block with any part of his body he likes. Whoever bleeds first or breaks the board with their swing loses.

I'd play it. I'm a sucker for theme and licenses sure don't hurt.

Don't remember where I saw it but I read recently some chump saying that they "don't understand why anyone buys licensed board games". Seriously? Look, the word autism gets thrown around far too much but how autistic do you have to be to not understand that people like things, want to buy more of that thing, want to feel immersed in that thing, or even just the simple business sense of people feeling more comfortable purchasing something with an IP they recognize!

Worker Placement: The game about placing workers

The game is a draft game like seven wonders where you draft workers onto an assembly line. Each round starts with a supply card that gives you what things each player start with and a market that shows the prices for various things that round.

On each worker, there are one to three tasks involving assembling, disassembling, and other such tasks. Your goal each round is to maximize your assembly line by placing workers down from the draft.

So basically eurogame: the eurogame?

Except you don't actually have workers to place as the worker placement mechanic. It's Eurogame: the different Eurogame.

An Elder Sign clone.

Instead of Great Old Ones, you have AIs.