Is it better to be varied in the types of characters and classes to play...

Is it better to be varied in the types of characters and classes to play, or is it alright when you really only have one or two classes you prefer playing?

Depends on the group

Variation is always better. Variety is the spice of life. You may return to themes frequently, but the surest sign of a poor roleplayer is one who takes on less than a handful of roles.

It is better to be varied, but it is OK play same class again and again.

Change is necessary for growth, but presumably, you do TTRPG for fun.

Why are you asking?

You can do whatever you like but it might be boring for the rest of the group if you play the same character over and over.

Depends on how seriously you take your imaginary wizard games. If you seriously prefer a certain kind of role, than that is just fine.

That said to someone who enjoys multiple varied experiences, that selectivity might come off as "worse". case in point.
If you are the sort of person who loves playing many roles, and cherishes the golden heroes you played no more or less than the total bastards you've played, then the idea of only playing a particular role is anathema.

depends. if all you ever roll is angsty edge lord orphans with amnesia with a propensity for white knighting while also being a raging sexist then maybe doing something different with your next character is in order.

But always running spell casters or rogues isn't all bad as long as that's what you enjoy. But maybe you would end up liking playing as a different class if you would just be willing to try it out. Also, others in your group might want to play as the thing you always pick and maybe letting them have a go at it would be good for group morale as it were.

I'm mostly curious about how other people feel about it, if they feel like they should be able to pick up any class and play them no matter what and enjoy different styles of play, or if they're happy having one or two roles they like and know they're good at and always knowing their place in a group. I feel like I'm in the latter category, but I've never played with the same group for long.

I do tend to find I keep getting drawn back to casters and rogues, just because I prefer those archetypes more, but even then I do try and mix it up, making agility characters in other ways or using different sorts of magic.

It's perfectly fine.

I only play Street Sams in shadowrun because they are easy to get into, and in my opinion, the most customizable and varied.

Varying your classes is good for your and others' enjoyment of the game.
Varying your characters is good for your mental health.

What makes you say that last bit?

Playing as a one class only is not bad, maybe a bit autistic, but not bad
But playing as a one character only makes you a shit player.

When you start playing RPGs, vary things up. Try to play characters that are different to those you've played before. As you keep playing RPGs, you'll find that there are types of characters you don't enjoy. So don't play them again.

Eventually you'll run out of things to try.

Playing the same role over and over is fine, mechanically speaking. If you enjoy a playstyle, go for it.

It's more when you play the same character archtype each time (IE poor human nobody from a backwater village, special snowflake race, etc) with a similar backstory do you run into problems.

One or two

The purpose of these games is to have fun.

Anyone who tells you to do otherwise is a faggot.

Fuck that. Play one archetype til the end of time if you want to.

>But playing as a one character only makes you a shit player.

Do you even play roleplaying games?

How much variation can you have within a class?

Depending on what you define as variation, infinite.

There are lots of different archetypes and paths and other such things - and if you're playing a game like Shadowrun without hard classes, or WHRP with careers, there's even more variety.

I like you and value your input. I wish I knew more people like you.

>WHRP
*2 ed

This game gives me the biggest boner.

You should strive to play new and interesting characters every single time you play. They don't have to be gonzo or magical races, but just play something different, especially if you aren't a seasoned veteran there are tons of options open to you.

I roll a die to see what class I play as long as the group isn't too heavily unbalanced and in need of a fill. Anyone who doesn't do this is an inferior roleplayer in my eyes.

Whichever is more fun for you.

Whatever you find fun.

In my opinion though, go for just a couple classes. Learn how to RP one or two things really well & enjoy yourself. When/If you start getting bored then switch it up a bit and use previous experiences to better deal with upcoming challenges.