ITT: Shit you've always wanted to do in game but never got to/will

>ITT: Shit you've always wanted to do in game but never got to/will

I've always wanted to have a fight on top of a speeding train

Have a character development arc

I've always wanted to make an NPC's story arc make the players feel genuine emotion.
Technically I've succeeded, but only with two players. I want to make everyone emotionally invested, but I'm not good enough.

This, I'd also like a personal quest that, if successful, ends with me getting an ability or item specific to my character

Get to level 20

Story time?

I want to be a real hero. You know, a corny-as-hell true blue hero like you might find in an old comic book. A guy who goes around righting wrongs, helping those in need, not just stopping the bad guys but showing them the error of their ways, and not letting anyone die no matter how hard it gets. Someone who unabashedly puts himself in harm's way to do the right thing because it's right, not for some ulterior motive like wealth or power, just for the knowledge that the world is going to be a slightly better place at the end of the day.

I've come close a few times, played some really decent stand-up guys who combine cunning and skill with human kindness and moral fibre, but people keep dying, and once in a while I might forget something or get impatient OOC. It's a struggle, but I'm just going to keep going at it.

D&D party vs Panzer III

story time please

I want to run a game in Redwall land
>pic related

God that sounds like fun, I'd love to do that too.

People who have played Mouseguard, could you apply those rules but use a Redwall setting?

pull the "you think this is a DnD campaign, until BAM!! A spaceship just showed up and this is actually a Dark Heresy or Rogue Trader game and you were on a feudal world" meme.

I think that would be fun.

not really. one aspect of mouseguard IIRC is a stat that determines how "human" you act and how "mouse" you act. since Redwall animals dont really act like animals at all that might be a problem

I would play this game
I don't even care what the plot is.

A last stand. We fight until we die. The end.

I'm currently running a game in my ideal setting for a bunch of players who are really into it, and it's great.

But GOD DAMN do I envy my players for getting to play in the world I've always wanted to play in

All I know is that we'll start in Redwall Abbey, journey to Salamandastron, somecreature will find Martin's sword, and the food descriptions will be OVER THE TOP.

Turns out it's a lot like fighting in a narrow corridor but instead of walls you can fall off and die

I want to play as a species with multiple stages of life, starting out as the base and eventually becoming a fully formed adult. The end of my life cycle would correspond to the end of my journey and ascension to a higher plane.

Only War is rather good for that.

Yeah, I wanted to run a one-shot with Only War set on Cadia during the fall but it fell out of fashion and we got a new crusade now.

Play a character who has a meaningful, lasting relationship with his family, without the DM killing them off for stupid reasons.

>I've always wanted to have a fight on top of a speeding train
Sounds pretty easy, just let your GM know that's something you want to do.

Ouch. That's got to suck.
It's like the best part.

That does sound pretty fun. It'd be rough to shoehorn into DnD though.

Done that before. It was pretty epic.

I've managed to do this once for most of my players, it was mostly satisfying for everyone but unfortunately the game died before the Barbarian got her body back.

I always wanted to play a comfy low-level campaign
Everyone in my group wants some epic high fantasy campaign and I just want to get money back from the village headman or investigate some spooky stuff while balancing uni life or some shit like that

Alternatively, I always liked the idea of seemingly useless special abilities being able to be used in nonsensical, broken ways. The campaign would start small and then spiral to epic-level as players start finding creative ways to use their abilities.

A road trip/pilgrimage campaign.

I've always wanted to ERP transcendental incest. Like a wizard who splits his soul in half then decides "ah fuck it."

This more than anything else I will ever want. I can be an irredeemable asshole in real life, corrupt people to the point that they're an ignorant bigotted hateful mess, but I can't be a hero, I can't be a teacher, I can't save anyone or fix anyone, especially not myself.

Are you me user?

I had a Werewolf: The Apocalypse game that went like that. The Wyrm was curbstomping the Garou and the Earth as a whole during the Apocalypse, and our pack's Caern was the last one standing. We survived for a shockingly long time thanks to the patronage of a strong totem spirit and our guerrilla tactics, but we eventually got overrun and destroyed.

That campaign was fucking depressing. You could literally feel the hopelessness in every session. We had players that had to take breaks from playing it because it was so fucked up. I never quite played in a game like it since, and I wish I could find another game like it. So good.

same

A heroic last stand where my character dies against impossible odds but takes so many of the enemy with him that the day is saved by his sacrifice.
Literally anything Spelljammer where I'm a player is that too much to ask?
Saving a princess.
Fistfighting a goddamn dinosaur.

I just want a long running campaign.

We all shit on Critical Role as a show, but I've gotta admit I envy the fact that they've been playing the same campaign and the same characters for 5 years, and have had time to really develop the story.

I've been playing with the same group for a few years, but we always finish one adventure module, then the DM swaps out and we roll up new characters and start a new book. I want something that lasts more than 6 months.

I want to play an offsite coordinator to operators. Like, in some really cool way like only me having the maps available, and I need to explain to and ask things from the other players.

I'm playing an immobile sentient box in another game, but I'm still carried around, so I don't know whether that counts. I dunno what it is about offsite hackers/coordinators that amuses me so.

I know it's a far cry, making a game like that to work would need a lot of work, the GM would need to basically juggle a Roll20 game while playing a regular one.

A skeleton who keeps his identity hidden for as long as possible

It's silly but I like the idea of the sapient undead trying to do good with the time they've been given back, but aware that if their true nature was revealed they would be destroyed, so they hide in beneath a helmet or something

I've been trying to get this game going for years. I finally have a reliable group and none of them are into it, so it looks like it's gonna be on the backburner for a few more years at least.

I've always wanted to run a political game. No combat, no major skill checks. Every player's character is the head of a major political faction in a fictional late-19th century European land empire. So one player is the monarch, one player is the head of the Republicans, one player is the head of a major nationalist movement, one player is the head of the major Marxist group, etc. The game consists of the players trying to politically outmaneuver one another through a detailed political system. Stuff like combat would only ever come into play if, say, the Marxist actually launches a revolution. Battles would be played using a WWI or early-war WWII wargame.

But everyone wants me to keep running CoC games

One on one duel between worthy opponents.
An actual romantic character arc where my PC is one of the characters (nearly had this one, but I became the DM so it would have been too awkward).
Have the party convert a major villain to their side.
Multigenerational campaign.

See I would be fascinated by something like this in theory, my only question is how would this really work?

There would need to be an extensive system to cover all the major and minor tools each position has at it's disposal.

Too little and it's basically just a board game, too much and it's just too complicated to bother with.

The current plan would be to steal the actual constitution of, say, Austria-Hungary or Britain during the period, and then modify it to make it more dramatic, and simplify it before giving it to the players, so they don't have to deal with things like bi-elections and minority reports.

Where I always run into trouble is with organizations outside the government. How, for instance, would the Nationalist or Marxist players deal with, well, anything? What system would exist for trying to, say, commit a terrorist act, or seize the Kronstadt, or try to flat out 1848 it? I never find a really great way of resolving that.

Play for more than 2 sessions a year.

Just be a fire knight

You can still be a hero in real life user. Just remember that a hero isn't necessarily what you are every day, it's what you are at the moment that it counts. Most people know it when it happens.

Don't give up.

I imagine there would need to be systems for the government switching between the parties in play. Those in power would need to solve the issues, those not in power would need to find a way for it to further their motives or make whoever is in power seem incompetent?

Play a lighthearted criminal campaign where everyone is a monstrous race rejected by their own kind for whatever reason, and together, they're all a scummy bunch of misfits out to get as rich as possible by working together on heists, burglaries, dungeon raids, and get-rich-quick schemes, and maybe by stabbing each other in the back a little bit.

>a scummy bunch of misfits out to get as rich as possible by working together on heists, burglaries, dungeon raids, and get-rich-quick schemes, and maybe by stabbing each other in the back a little bit.

...And that the villain will either be feline or some animal humans would consider vermin.

I'd find it difficult to invest myself in such a game, because the universe seems to revolve around a single plot rewritten a few dozen times.

Yeah I'm not kidding when I say that that is essentially exactly what I would want, except with like, goblins and bugbears and kobolds and shit.

I'd play it

A game in which players had true drive to do things.

I feel like I am dragging my players through each session, making them react but not interact.

I had an only war game run until we were in the 45,000xp range, the party being brought on by a rogue trader dynasty represenative as an elite away team. You would have thought they were first graders, waiting on me to drag them to the next scene. It was bad when they were doing recon before but then they could not even decide on what mission or objectives to go for.

Happened in Eberron and Fearun as well, just waiting for the dungeon of the month to go for then sitting on treasure with no plan to do anything with it. In Eberron, they got an airship and just tied it to a tree so someone else would deal with it.

Summon an edritch god.

Run it in tabletop simulator. It seems like so much fun but a 45 quid entry fee is a bit much for something I could do in roll20 for free.

Being a player in an anime-tier cuhrazy game. Though dming it myself is sort of halfway there.

My players finished last session by beating the BBEG with power of friendship speeches and I enjoyed every damn second of it

The party finds a tiny, minor divine spirit and slowly help it and raise it up into a new major god.

Not having to count for my party members as personal threats, just ONCE. I am pretty tired of backstabbers.

That would be nice too. I've been aspiring to it, I've succeeded here and there, but being hindered by party members can be pretty aggravating.

Maybe I'm just bitter atm.

Play something thats not DnD, Shadowrun or a 40k RPG specifically

I had a game where a player tamed ogres with friendship and offerings of candy. I did the DM thing of making the TN high but I so wanted Yoritomo Aoi to succeed. She became known as the ogre tamer and turned down a chance to vie for the Champion seat because "I wanna fight at the wall".

Big dumb warrior ladies are fun!

>That would be nice too. I've been aspiring to it, I've succeeded here and there, but being hindered by party members can be pretty aggravating.

If your players are actively hindering efforts to right wrongs and do good, then they're the problem. Consider looking for better ones.

For fuck's sake, it's a game. You should be able to pretend for a few hours a week to be a decent human who helps people once in a while, without being blocked by some insecure shithead whose edgy worldview is threatened by any display of genuine ethical conduct or emotional vulnerability.

Managing to successfully pull out the following:
> "Separating" the party
> Make them fight their worst fear or some sort of personal shortcoming alone
> Only to reveal it was an illusion powered by their own fear and they are fighting each other
> They have to let go their fear or recognise their shortcomings to see through it.
It's a terrible idea and have all the chance to fail terribly, but it appeals to me in theory.

>Have a recurring enemy who comes back every time they kill it, slightly stronger and able to deal with whatever killed it last
>The first encounter it dies in one hit, players probably forget about it
>End of the campaign has them fighting a gauntlet of the same thing, stronger and stronger

That sounds like a recipe for disaster desu. You'd just get into arguments OOC and every session would devolve into political shitflinging.

Let non-mice use the skills list and give most of your NPCs low nature scores and you're good.

Im running one of these right now, actually. Its been going on for a year and the players finally decided they wanted to leave the pilgrimage and stake their claim in the world/ begin the end game.