A civilization of elves, catfolk, dogfolk, merfolk, and other animalfolk; based on real-world humans, cats, dogs, fish...

A civilization of elves, catfolk, dogfolk, merfolk, and other animalfolk; based on real-world humans, cats, dogs, fish, and other pets. Could it ever work?

You have the elves. They live in tree-cities, they like bows and wondrous magic, they have kings and queens, they have day jobs to pay the bills.

You have the animalfolk with far shorter lifespans. They are slaves in a way, yet extremely privileged and pampered slaves. Elves find them simply adorable and love to have them around as companions in the home.

Elves acquire their pets through either purchases or animalfolk husbandry. Many animalfolk are separated from their parents during their childhood, so that they can be given to a loving home, but a select few animalfolk live with their biological families under a single elven household.

Elves house, bathe, feed, and protect their pets, expecting more or less nothing in return. An animalfolk who lazes around all day and plays with toys (or, since these are sapient, engages in hobbies like book-reading and artistry) is par for the course. Elves love it when the animalfolk return the affection in one of many cute ways, from a doggirl cuddling up with her master, to a catboy presenting dead birds (hopefully actual birds) as murder presents.

Animalfolk generally love their owners for taking care of them. Some pets are eager to chat up their owners on all manner of topics, while other pets prefer to silently bask in their master's presence. However, there are a few despicable and abusive owners, who are reviled and often arrested by the other elves.

There are many kinds of pets. There are catfolk known for their aloofness and self-maintaining independence, the loyal dogfolk who are sometimes given legitimate jobs in elven society, the merfolk who live in schools in aquariums and do nothing but laze around, and more.

Elves love their pets so much that it is always a tragedy when an elf inevitably outlives their animalfolk.

How could this concept be refined?

Other urls found in this thread:

mangafox.me/manga/death_march_kara_hajimaru_isekai_kyousoukyoku/
mangafox.me/search.php
youtube.com/watch?v=AGFev2BmnhE
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Well that sounds like an adorable concept. Only thing I could think of to improve it is make them different sizes. Dogs are taller than cats are taller than rabbits are taller than sneks, etc.

Also why elves and not dwarves or Orcs or humans? Do these civilizations exists in that setting? How do they treat these animal folk?

>Only thing I could think of to improve it is make them different sizes. Dogs are taller than cats are taller than rabbits are taller than sneks, etc.

Size differences can be interesting, but humanoid-sized animalfolk pets can be interesting too.

>Also why elves and not dwarves or Orcs or humans?

I chose elves out of reasoning that animalfolk would have human lifespans, whereas elves would have elven lifespans, thereby simulating the difference between human and cat/dog lifespans.

Do the neighboring human civilizations think it's creepy that the elves treat folk more or less similar to themselves like pet animals? Do they just equate them with slaves, if slavery is accepted? How do the elves interact with/think of other shorter-lived races?

Go to bed Eric

>Animalfolk race
>WHAT IF HOUSEPET CATBOIS
It's boring, overused to death, fetishy and overall shitty. The concept could be refined by throwing it into trash.

And i'm saying it as someone who did add animu catfolk/dogfolk in >muh setting.

How do they keep the beast folk population from outstripping the elven households available?

There are several solutions, few of which are probably palatable.

I don't understand what brings people to like things like this. Is it some sort of fetish? It borders on disturbing.

As long as Humans rule the world sure why not?

Is this magical realm? It sure sounds like a magical realm.

>It's a beast race
>AND HEY THEY ARE NATURALLY SERVILE PET RACE-

>How could this concept be refined?
every girl is sexy and wear sexy outfits

Where did these animal folks come from? were they made? are there 'wild' beast folk? how do they feel about their slave counterparts? in other parts of the world are beast folk normal people? are the slave beast folk submissive because it is the only life they have ever known? have they been told from a young age that the only way they could have a fulfilling life is to be owned and cared for? Is this why beast folk slaves willingly give up their children? because they believe their children will be happier with a long lived stranger than with their own flesh and blood?

So, this but even more anime and less adventure?

I know that I'm responding seriously to a wank thread, but why? I get that catfolk and dogfolk may be shorter lived, but why dehumanize them when they're sapient enough to have conversations and read books for leisure (with some dogfolk being intelligent enough to work legitimate jobs)? In a way, this is disturbingly trying to legitimize slavery as desirable for the slaves.

You don't even need to make them humanoid to see how weird this shit is: if real animals behaved like Disney animals there wouldn't be an animal rights discussion in the first place because animals would be given rights by default.

>overused
You say it's overused but I can't really think of a setting that does beastfolk as automatically pets, usually beastfolk are the wild and savage things.

>I know that I'm responding seriously to a wank thread, but why?

If we knew the answer to this, Veeky Forums would be a better place.

It's a common amateur fiction/LN/manga thing.

Don't worry, i already hate myself for knowing it.

For the record "wild and savage" is only slighty less overused, but it's usually more justified than "i want catgirl slave waifu".

>I can't really think of a setting
That's because no published setting deals with this fetishbait, but as homebrew it's all over the fucking place here, and even on sites like Roll20. This monstergirl waifu garbage needs to fuck off already.

The only isekai crap I know are DanMachi, KonoSuba, Log Horizon, NGNL and none of them do animal people beyond "Well he/she's a cat/fox and that's cool."

Where are all these slave animal people LNs/mangas I'm missing?

That's pretty decent isekai crap, user. You haven't even reached the bottom of the barrel.

I did, mostly because i like reading things that make me angry.

DanMachi isn't isekai though. Isekai means "different world" and refers to stories where characters enter an alternate world through one means or another. Bell is native to DanMachi's world.

Not that user, but one example off the top of my head is Death March Isekai something something. This dude gets teleported into the another world while debugging a game and gets three meteor drop spells, which he then uses on an army then levels up by a few hundred levels or so. He then gets a harem of lolis and magiteck guns and is super smart and takes advantage of all this while being edgy and suave etc while racking up job titles that give massive bonuses for doing basic tasks.

mangafox.me/manga/death_march_kara_hajimaru_isekai_kyousoukyoku/

mangafox because fuck you, it's a shitty manga

That's some obscure ass shit.

Where do you find these?

How do we keep the cat/dog population from outstripping the human households available?

mangafox.me/search.php
Just search isekai.

youtube.com/watch?v=AGFev2BmnhE

>elves castrating catboy and dogboys

Th-This is just normal, right?

Please kill yourself and stay kill.

Don't they in some places?