40kfags in 2015: Don't worry guys, there's no way Games Workshop will fuck up 40k like they did Fantasy!

>40kfags in 2015: Don't worry guys, there's no way Games Workshop will fuck up 40k like they did Fantasy!
>2017

We tried to warn you, but you just didn't listen.

Implying that 40k got worse.

I believe it got better and it was a well needed update.

GW employee confirmed

Either in GW employment or denial.

After 3 decades of grimdark, I am ready for some nobledark. I have collected for decades, have thousands of minis and a copy of every book ever released for 40k (including the rpg ones) and just want a little light at the end of the tunnel, even if it might be another 20 years before that happens.

40k invented grimdark. Moving away from it would be an insult to most even if not you personally.

Probably ironic shitposting, but I'd like remind the newbs that the whole setting has been copypasted from various sources, like 2000AD.

people who post like this dont realize fantasy was a war game turned into a skirimish game, whereas 40k was a skirmish game turned into a skirmish game

Julius Cesar copied GW you imbecile

>mechanics getting worse
>fluff getting worse
>miniatures getting more "accessible"

It's going the exact same, literally, route of Fantasy.

And Tolkien copied mythology, so what.

>Be me
>dislike 40k, but have tried to get back into a few times and regretted it every time
>play several other games instead
>hear new 40k is coming out
>give it a try
>game is actually fun, fast paced and appropriate for casual play

Nu40k is actually pretty good

99% of people here know and openly admit 7E was shit (except for the 1% who are faggots who insist it's preferable to 8E) yet these same 99% will complain about 8E all day long.

I like 8E, but I have to admit it's got its problems, and a decent amount more than some other systems.

That said, it's still fun, especially if you play it beer-and-pretzels style and don't take it too seriously.

I'll stick to other games for competitive play though I think.

this, it's good to try to make the game lighter and more accessible and faster paced and all, but the game is still unbelievably shit in many aspects.
(though i kind of liked 7th edition, people hate on it way too much(which doesn't mean it wasn't shit, just that considering the level of shit of 40k, i don't get why people hate on it specifically))

7E was shit but there are ways to fix a game other than cutting out its rules and making it more casual and fastpaced, particularly when that's paired with background lore going a suspiciously similar route of End Times.

That's the real worry here. Remember how Fantasy died? End Times came in order to "fix" the system by streamlining mechanics and casualizing the play and its pace, coupled with horribly-received lore changes. This fucked things over, destroyed the game's world, then Age of Sigmar came, and now the game's a shell of what it was.

It's impossible to deny how identical the "plot progression" of 40k has been in the last year to End Times.

AoS is a superior set of rules compared to WHFB. Proof: it actually has people playing it.

>2017
>GW releases the best edition of the game ever made
>even the issues it still has, they are regularly updating and FAQ'ing in record time
>GW's stock jumps up over 200%
>FLGS is packed every weekend like never before
>all my friends who I play D&D and such with but never got into tabletop wargaming are now finally starting up 40k under my wing
I'm sorry, what did you try to warn us about exactly?

>Proof: it actually has people playing it.
Aos general is a barren wasteland were aos players complain that there are only sigmarines releases meanwhile fantasy general have more discussion and actual advices

>game is dead aside from casual players who pick it up once in a while and forget about it for months on end
>decades of interesting background lore killed off or retconned away
>late medieval british punk tolkien fantasy replaced with buzz lightyear marines and a goofy random space world

Not him but it's pretty slow because it got hit really hard several times by shitposters and epic level trolls. A majority of them, including me, find we get better discussions elsewhere. AoS really is a bad word on Veeky Forums and rarely can people talk about it without fags fighting back against people liking things. So you guys got what you want. There are very few AoS players on Veeky Forums. There are a lot of AoS players, but they know this is the last place on the internet to go for discussions.

Regardless, the discussion still happens in the general, i find. It moves a little slower, but it happens. I'll hope in every now and then and contribute where I can, but I find other places are more edifying, and several others have too.

>Mechanics getting playable, as opposed to the fucking mess of 7
>Fluff getting less shitty then the 'fuck my dad' direction BL had been insisting on
>I don't even fucking know what this means, so I assume you're just out of ideas
Look, I'm sorry that your game got squatted and replaced with a Saturday morning cartoon (and not a good one, like a crappy go-bots level one), but it sounds like you were one of those people that made people not want to play the game anyways, so it's probably for the best I'll never have to run into you.

>End Times came in order to "fix" the system by streamlining mechanics and casualizing the play and its pace
what the fuck are you talking about? How did end times streamline fantasy?

>butthurt WHFBfag complaining about irrelevant WHFB/AoS shit in response to a post entirely about 40k
No one cares about your dead game.

Hello /aosg/.

If only GW also made their miniatures affordable.

/thread

>>mechanics getting worse
...for u.

i played since 1st ed and im loving 8th ed. ruleswise it's my favorite edition (possibly after Rogue Trader which was horribly imbalanced but just has had incredible charme)

hello newfag who didn't play end times

I'm so glad I stopped playing 40k like twelve years ago. Every time I poke my head in to check on it, I am reminded of ALL of the reasons I left.

I'll always have the Calixis sector.

>I'll always have the Calixis sector.

No, it was swallowed by the rift.

Enjoy 8th in about two years time when GW wants more money off idiots; so they do the whole "alliance book"/codex/codex supplement/campaign book/expansion rulebook thing again.

You'll think you're better than it but you won't be, otherwise you'd not be playing 40k anymore.

>That's the real worry here. Remember how Fantasy died? End Times came in order to "fix" the system by streamlining mechanics and casualizing the play and its pace, coupled with horribly-received lore changes
End Times didn't change the base mechanics of the game at all. It would have been better if it did, because 8th edition WHFB was an horrible ruleset. The fluff was awful.

Really, End Times wasn't that big of a change, but since 8th edition was the worse ruleset WHFB ever got, it put another nail in the coffin and ended up killing the game. Ultimately, WHFB died because GW didn't bulge and didn't make a better ruleset, more akin to 6th edition, didn't bother balancing anything, didn't bother releasing new minis, so the game died.

At least WH40K isn't following this route.

No, it wasn't. I played a High Elf army in that time before quiting when AoS came. Best fun I ever had.

>I played a High Elf army in that time
heh

Well no shit. High elves we're what eldar were in 7e. You had fun, but I doubt your opponents did.

As a guy who hasn't had a horse in this race for years, but considered re-entering with 8th, I gotta say that 8th seems just as unbalanced and clunky as 7th, just in different ways. And it's dropped the few things that made 40K appealing.

Disappointed as fuck.

AoS is objectively better game than WFB. The setting is not as developed, but it's a better game than Deathstar Magicapalooza that 8th ed was.

It really isn't.

It's tactically banal as fuck. I don't like either game but AoS is just plain terrible.

If I have to pick a game that thinks it's deep, but in reality makes the simplest actual wargame look deep, and one that accepts it's a simple toy-soldier game, I'll pick the one that doesn't have delusions.

>everything else is shit so this shit is okay!

But everything else isn't shit.

There are plenty of wargames with actual strategic and tactical depth. Dropzone Commander, Infinity, Dropfleet, Warmahordes, Malifaux, etc, all shit on AoS (and 40K) in terms of mechanical depth. You're assuming that everyone else is just pretending, but these games are actually good.

AoS general was REALLY active and positive when GHB came out. It's just a content drought right now. When there's new leaks/new releases they are really active. It was fastest moving thread on Veeky Forums for a good few weeks at one stage...

That said, there are definitely better websites to discuss AoS (leddit and tga.community are decent).

>EXACTLY one minute apart
Subtle, samefag.

i love 8E only for Initiative which is no more!
It's best ork friendly edition since nobobikers.

but it wasn't really 3 decades of unironic grimdark.... more like 15 years of satire from the same time and location that gave us Judge Dredd, and 15 years of people taking that satire seriously from the same people who take Judge Dredd seriously. I for one welcome the writers going back to admitting it's a freaking joke.

The new rules aren't great, but the're nowhere near as bad as the flaming garbage that was the age of formations. Personally I'd place it right below 3rd edition in terms of playability: not the best, but nowhere NEAR the worst.

Redshirt spotted

Just play Tau then you ninny.

>After 3 decades of grimdark, I am ready for some nobledark.

Well... glad you finally decided to grow out of a teenaged edgelord mentality. 30 years but... better late than never I guess.

>40k invented grimdark. Moving away from it would be an insult to most

Grow up.

Another '8th edition ruined everything because AOS' thread.

How inspiring,

8th edition was bad even before AoS made it worse.
Or are you talking about 40kid 8th? Because that one is just dissapointingly bland.

The joke is that GW squatted most of the High Elf model range.

>7E was shit but there are ways to fix a game other than cutting out its rules and making it more casual and fastpaced, particularly when that's paired with background lore going a suspiciously similar route of End Times.

Progress is an inherently iterative process. Nuking the whole thing was idiotic, and switched out one set of imbalances (Scatterbike spam, Barkstars) for another (stormraven spam, brimstone spam).

This edition has been the most fun I've had in 10 years with the hobby. There are issues with 8th and some silly rules that I don't like, but over all I've been having a blast. The fact that my Ministorum melee units and my Bullgryn are not only better than before, but are really good now, makes me happy.

Just play the superior GW game user.

>Tau
>not grimdark
Spotted the communist.

>>I don't even fucking know what this means, so I assume you're just out of ideas
I assume he means it's full of monopose/easybuild. Like the Rievers for example: you just glue on the arms and heads and bases.

I don't like the direction GW are going with the models, but I much prefer the fluff is actually progressing.

Are you a rape victim son ? Did your mother got raped before your very eyes ? If not why are you still here ? Why fallow a game that you don't like ? Why get involved in it and waste time commenting about it ? Do you like to suffer ? Or you just 12 yo with a boner for his mum ?

Go take your meds

Compared to everything else the race that fights for the greater good of all and actually cares about the lives of its citizens is pretty un-40k. Even more so when they have non tau in their empire and will happily take in alien species.
Sort of a choice between living in Gotham turned up to 11 as a factory worker vs working in a safe factory with cute pet droids.

>actually cares about the lives of its citizens is pretty un-40k
Taufag who doesn't real the fluff. HAHA GREADER GUD :DDD

They do though, and the concept of the greater good is deeply engrained in all tau. It's not like hot fuzz.
trials by fire are self sacrifices, so to advance you have to be willing to die for your comrades

Except 8th edition is much better then shitty 7th was.

99% of T'au don't even fucking understand what this sacrifice shit is. It's just propaganda spouted by ethereals in order to sow discontent among other races to make the T'au collective's "alternative" lifestyle look attractive. A normal T'au has no idea his thoughts, emotions and actions are predicated by another.

You're just saying that because riptide wing is gone.

If you had to live in 99.99% of imperial worlds then anything not chaosy is a step up.

Meanwhile whfb general limps along by basically being a Total War Veeky Forums thread on Veeky Forums.

Do you retards actually think they are paid enough to spend even more of their free time shilling on a trash site like This?
There is no way you are over 18. Or have ever had a job.

Whfg is for a dead game and it still has more content and discussion. So when that is besting the thread for a living and we'll supported game that has a new campaign coming out then you know some thing is up.

>tfw sigmar is better than fantasy battles over all and 8th edition 40k is a million times better than 7th edition
Except for lore changes with Sigmar, I think it's telling that total warhammer takes place in the before times.

Actually both WFB and 40k began as skirmish RPGs.

>implying anyone actually played End Times

The rumors of it becoming more like AoS make me weep, ruining thier best ruleset.

What rumors of it playing like AoS? And why? Legions was perfect in all aspects except having the listed models actually exist.