Last of all the eastern force to stand firm were the Dwarves of Belegost, and thus they won renown...

>Last of all the eastern force to stand firm were the Dwarves of Belegost, and thus they won renown. For the Naugrim withstood fire more hardily than either Elves or Men, and it was their custom moreover to wear great masks in battle hideous to look upon; and those stood them in good stead against the dragons. And but for them Glaurung and his brood would have withered all that was left of the Noldor. But the Naugrim made a circle about him when he assailed them, and even his mighty armour was not full proof against the blows of their great axes; and when in his rage Glaurung turned and struck down Azaghâl, Lord of Belegost, and crawled over him, with his last stroke Azaghâl drove a knife into his belly, and so wounded him that he fled the field, and the beasts of Angband in dismay followed after him.

>Then the Dwarves raised up the body of Azaghâl and bore it away; and with slow steps they walked behind singing a dirge in deep voices, as it were a funeral pomp in their country, and gave no heed more to their foes; and none dared to stay them.

Tolkien appreciation thread?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=lXAvF9p8nmM
docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=sites&srcid=ZGVmYXVsdGRvbWFpbnwxbXl3cml0aW5naWRlYXMxfGd4OjExOWRkMzdkM2ZlOWE0OQ
tolkiengateway.net/wiki/Battle_of_Dale#Aftermath_and_Repercussions
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Reading Silmarilion right now, just reaching the point where the Edain have crossed into Beleriand and started settling amongst the Noldor. Rip roaring good fun so far.

Is this the only cool thing the dwarves ever did in the entire Tolkien universe?

Aure entuluva!

They also steal a Silmaril over a situation that could have easily been resolved without violence if not for the fact that those gems fuck everyone's brains up.

I've been reading the Beren and Luthien book, it's quite neat to see how the legend developed. I especially like how the various lays go into more detail and highlight what Beren does, as opposed to the condensed Silm form which basically makes him seem like he's just there while guys like Finrod and his girlfriend do all the work. Hell, he beats up Sauron in one of the later poems.

Plus, you get stuff like this.

>Be he friend or foe, or demon wild
>Of Morgoth, Elf, or mortal child,
>Or any that here on earth may dwell,
>No law, nor love, nor league of hell,
>No might of Gods, no binding spell,
>Shall him defend from hatred fell,
>of Feanor's sons, whoso take or steal
>or finding keep a Silmaril.
>These we alone do claim by right,
>Our thrice enchanted jewels bright.

>So it was that after Azanulbizar the Dwarves dispersed again. But first with great labour they stripped all their dead, so that Orcs should not come and win there a store of weapons and mail. It is said that every Dwarf that went from that battlefield was bowed under a heavy burden. Then they built many pyres and burned all the bodies of their kin. There was a great felling of trees in the valley, which remained bare ever after, and the reek of the burning was seen in Lórien

>Such dealings with their dead seemed grievous to the Dwarves, for it was against their use; but to make such tombs as they were accustomed to (since they will lay their dead only in stone not in earth) would have taken many years. To fire therefore they turned, rather than leave their kin to beast or bird or carrion-orc. But those who fell in Azanulbizar were honoured in memory, and to this day a Dwarf will say proudly of one of his sires: 'he was a burned Dwarf', and that is enough.

Didn't they also bitchslapped Sauron not once but twice?

When?

When sauron first tried to bind them with the seven rings but the dwarfs turned out to be immune to the ring's corruption and later when he sent a giant army led by the mouth of sauron to siege Erebor and demand obedience but the dwarves flipped him the bird

Dwarves being resistant to direct domination isn't much a bitchslap when their rings drove them mad with greed and brought about their ruin. I don't remember the other thing. Are you misremembering what Gloin said to Bilbo in Rivendell?

Not him, but I think what he's going for is the stuff in the appendices, Sauron sends a force to attack both Dale and Erebor. The human city gets sacked, but the Dwarves hole up in the mountain fort until the destruction of the Ring, at which point the army there collapses.

Threadly reminder. Skip to 53:00 or so for the feels

youtube.com/watch?v=lXAvF9p8nmM

>Giving more shekels to the Chris Jew.

I don't know how he got Mouth of Sauron in there, though. I assumed he meant the emissary from Mordor who came to ask Dain for information about Bilbo and mixed that up with attack on Erebor that happened later.

It's time to kill yourself.

Don't get me wrong, I liked the trilogy just fine. But I don't like how it crystalized the looks of the setting for pretty much everyone.

For example, the Lord of the Rings Online was similar yet different on how it showed Middle Earth. In some ways it was closer to the literary lore, like Minas Tirith having black walls.

Are there other examples of different yet pleasing art depicting Middle Earth?

Anything in which plate armor doesn't exist in Middle-Earth. I know it's stupid and ultimately an irrelevant detail, but god, that triggered my autism hard.

Because the books have been popular for ages there's fortunately a lot of pre-movie art. The Nazgul are a good example, their mounts can vary widely from birds to dragons to something more like a dinosaur.

Also, I think the reason certain video games take a different look is for licensing reasons. Some games specifically have the rights to adapt the books but NOT the movies.

I don't think anyone interpreted the "lidless eye" of Barad-dur in the same way as the movies either.

I do have to admit, that sudden turnaround when Frodo claims the ring as a way of showing Sauron finally getting it was pretty cool though.

There was the battle of Dale during the war of the ring in which they and the men of Dale repulsed a massive force of Easterlings. Had they not, the Easterlings would've merged with the army assualting Minas Tirith and all of middle earth would be in Saurons thrall.

.t retard

docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=sites&srcid=ZGVmYXVsdGRvbWFpbnwxbXl3cml0aW5naWRlYXMxfGd4OjExOWRkMzdkM2ZlOWE0OQ (Page 245)

>At the same time as the great armies besieged Minas Tirith a host of the allies of Sauron that had long threatened the borders of King Brand crossed the river Carnen, and Brand was driven back to Dale. THere he had the aid of the Dwarves of Erebor; and there was a great battle at the Mountain's feet. It lasted three days, but in the end both King Brand and Dain Ironfoot were slain, and the Easterlings had the victory. But they could not take the Gate, and many, both Dwarves and Men, took refuge in Erebor, and there withstood a siege.
>When news came of the great victories in the South, then Sauron's northern army was filled with dismay; and the besieged came forth and routed them, and the remnant fled into the East and troubled Dale no more.

A few pages up, we'll see that the Dawnless Day was March 10th, and that "Minas Tirith is besieged" is an entry for March 14th. Even if Erebor fell in a single day, (i.e., better than they do even in the battle, let alone the siege), it would then have had to march all the way down to Minas Tirith, some 800 miles, in a day and a half, if they wanted to "merged with the army assualting Minas Tirith", assuming they wanted to get there in time before everyone else got crushed. Plus, of course, it gives 0 information as to how strong this force was, so it's anyone's guess if it was enough to matter in the Pellenor battle.

No you're a retard

>"When you think of the great Battle of the Pelennor, do not forget the battles in Dale and the valour of Durin's Folk. Think of what might have been. Dragon-fire and savage swords in Eriador! There might be no Queen in Gondor."
- Gandalf

He's talking about the possibility of the northern lands falling into Shadow and Arwen dying, not those forces teleporting south and overrunning Minas Tirith. How the hell can you manage to be so stupid and still dress yourself?

I'm literally just getting this from the Tolkien gateway page about it.

tolkiengateway.net/wiki/Battle_of_Dale#Aftermath_and_Repercussions

>The battle was incredibly important in the course of the War of the Ring: if Sauron's Easterling armies had beaten the Dwarves and Men of Dale, they would have been able to join up with Sauron's forces from Dol Guldur in their attacks on the Woodland Realm of Mirkwood and Lothlórien, tipping the scales in favor of Mordor. This would have enabled Mordor's armies to flank the forces of Gondor and Rohan from the North and rear. Gandalf himself commented that had the Battle of Dale been lost in this way, the forces of the West would have been crushed regardless of the victory at the Battle of the Pelennor Fields.[1]

Don't get so fucking upset.

So, in other words, you quote a fucking wiki, which doesn't even support your original claim, and you're using that to "prove" that you're right?

Because
A) They did beat the Dwarves and Men of Dale, and penned them up in Erebor; only falling apart when the rest of the war had been decided and they disperse/lose heart.
B) Woodland Realm and Lorien are not fucking Minas Tirith; they're also much closer and both of those realms were also under assault.
C) All of this takes TIME. The battle for Minas Tirith is over less than 3 days after the assualt on Dale starts
D) Is all ultimately sourced in an offhand remark by Gandalf, who is wrong on several counts before and thus his statement cannot be taken as gospel truth, and is specifically talking about Arwen, not how Minas Tirith might fall due to a teleporting army.

God, you're fucking retarded. And yes, it's upsetting that I have to share a planet with people like you. Why people have to be so vocal about idiocy is beyond me.

So I unintentionally say something that is slightly untrue, the part about the Easterlings linking up with the force besieging Gondor, and I get fucking jumped on by autistic Tolkien fans. Go fuck yourself you sperg.