"You're not allowed to do that.."

>"You're not allowed to do that.."
>"THE HOGFATHER CAN. THE HOGFATHER GIVES PRESENTS. THERE'S NO BETTER PRESENT THAN A FUTURE."

;_;

Who?

If Discworld were written today Pratchett would be derided as a SJW hack on this website.

Some overrated writer with an annoying fanbase.

Sadly true. Pratchett is a really good example of how to work a political message into a work, make it clear but also have it make sense to be said in universe, have elements which aren't reliant on the message, and above all else make the work really good.

He is.

>Bait.jpg

Low resolution.

>>>/reddit/

Been here since 2003, friend.

He was becoming clumsy and unsubtle as he became embittered and illness took more and more out of him. The way he handled characters also got progressively worse. Last few books hurt to read in more ways than one.

I thought Shepard's Crown was okay, but Snuff and Raising Steam were definitely painful

But there's like 40-odd others that range from merely alright to amazing, you can't exactly begrudge him for the last few being off, especially being terminally ill

No, but I'm not fond of blind veneration either. He should have quit in dignity when his writing began to suffer, instead he went out with a whimper immortalized in print.

I've heard it recommended for Alzheimers sufferers to keep doing familiar tasks, so he likely kept writing at least partially for his health. And he doesn't seem the kind to not release a completed work.

That wasn't blind veneration, you cock. is right, familiarity and repetition help Alzhimer's patients from turning into drooling blanks in their last days. Pumping out some bad books is a lesser evil than being a writer who dies half-retarded and useless, their gifts robbed from them

> Pratchett is a really good example of how to work a political message into a work

Not really, no. He was on his way to becoming good at it with the last couple of books though, I will conceed as much.
Shame about the Alzheimers.

I remember reading Feet of Clay and somehow making it to the last page before realizing that it was actually a story about the suffering and liberation of an oppressed people. One of my strongest literary impressions ever.

What? It was exactly the opposite.

Nope. Maybe some of his later books but most of it isn't.

>Last page.

You're pretty dense, aren't you?

Why so salty?

>I'm not so stupid, I couldn't tell the book was about oppression until the last page where it's spelt out for me, the other guy is salty because... he said bad thing to me!

How could you not tell what the theme of the book was as you were reading it?

I admit that post made me look like a cock.

No, you haven't, newfag

I'm not him. I just wanted to know why you were so salty today. Go have a nice bath with candles or something to relax.

Given the book they are talking about did you just tell him to kys?

I heart salt baths are good for the skin.

I'm not crying. You're crying

Do candle baths actually help people to relax? I've been trying to destress lately, and it really more seems a romantic than rather than a therapeutic deal.

Scented candles do, if you like scented candles.

reminder

Well in my defense I was a teen. I sort of understood that the golems being oppressed was an underlying theme, but it didn't really hit until until Vimes' line about how people in power always react when those who are voiceless finally find their voice. That's when I went "Holy shit this can be applied to any real world such real world situation.."

What a fantastic fellow. Loved his stuff.

People have been banned for less.

>SJW hack

Um, what part of buggerit being a bad word dont you understand?

>tfw becoming a drooling blank is my biggest fear
>tfw stuff like Alzheimers in the family
Fuck, give me a quick, clean death over a slow decline any day.

I just finished reading Snuff the other day, can confirm.
It was entertaining in places, but the shift in tone was palpable, and I caught myself rolling my eyes a few times, something I'd never done in the fifteen odd other Discworld books I read.

I long for the days of Mort.

Same. And it's the nasty early onset variant too.

I lived in denial for the longest time, but the odds are good I'm going to start losing my mind around age forty. So now I live like I have a gun to my head, because in a way, I do. Gotta get all that bucket list shit done way ahead of schedule.

Fuuuuuck.

Best of luck, user, sincerely.

Fuck, I remember tearing up when I heard that people were embedding GNU TERRY PRATCHETT into website htmls and headers

I heard they've made great strides in research and care lately.

Thanks.

So have I, but it's all still long from being implemented... if I'm lucky it'll be ready by the time I have to start really worrying. Here's hoping.

I've only read like 4 or 5 of his books, is that supposed to mean something?

Was someone calling him overrated for not having every single one of his books be a smash hit?

Unrelated, I don't have any handy images for pants-on-head-retarded.

Yes. In one of the books, it is said that people aren't gone until you stop saying their names, so the semaphore tower operators keep redirecting the name of an important character around the network to keep the memory alive. embedding GNU TERRY PRATCHET into the code is a modern take on it. Read The Smoking Gnu, I believe the book is called

Wasn't that book Going Postal? The Smoking Gnu is definitely something that turns up in the book, though.

Maybe? I can't remember, its been several years since I read the book. You're probably correct.

>Be generous, Sir Samuel. Truly treat all men equally. Allow Klatchians the right to be scheming bastards.
Does that sound like SJW shit to you?
That's practically the antithesis of their entire creed.

>that time he put a negative review at the start of one of his books because it was so hilariously retarded

I think Albrecht's shift in character was one of the most obvious examples of his changing style.
It's sad, because he was a great character that defied the idea that any person who opposes the main character's views, and by proxy the audience's views, is a bad guy by default.

I suppose I can't really begrudge a dying man for being unsubtle with what little time he had left.

He didn't have changing views, his brain was literally shrinking. It was obvious even in Unseen Academicals in 2009. I understand why it was important for him to keeping writing and even why people would publish it, but the books should basically be ignored when trying to understand who he was pre-decline

You're right. I'm crying. Goddamnit.

Here's to Sir Terry, who taught me that all things strive, that right and good aren't always the same thing, that people buy the sizzle and not the sausage, that personal isn't the same as important, and that people need to believe in things that aren't - for how else can they become?

You could still see the gold in "Raising Steam"
It ended on a melancholy note

Fuck you, I'm sobbing as much as when I read the last three tweets
>AT LAST, SIR TERRY, WE MUST WALK TOGETHER.

I am scared to read crown of spring guys.

If I read it it will all be over.

I don't think i will read that book

Moving Pictures was boring, user and Soul Music was kinda shite as well. Those were like his first attempts at making light of some sort of real institution rather than his usual more general sort of parody. Going Postal though was pretty decent already. It was an actual funny book about the postal service, which is a remarkable achievement.

They help me. I just put on some calm music, light some candles, then submerge with just my face out of the surface. Lets you just "feel" your surroundings.

Really hot baths are kinda nice, mostly because they knock you the fuck out.

>"Just because someone's a member of an ethnic minority doesn't mean they're not a nasty small-minded little jerk."
This was always my favourite Vimes line.

Moving Pictures and Soul Music were awesome.

I actually have a soft spot for Raising Steam, desu

>What can the harvest hope for, if not for the care of the Reaper Man?
God that line always gets me.
In fact, Reaper Man in general is amazing
>But Bill Door was already rising and unfolding like the wrath of kings. He reached behind him, growling, living on loaned time, and his hands closed around the harvest scythe. The crowned Death saw it coming and raised its own weapon but there was very possibly nothing in the world that would stop the worn blade as it snarled through the air, rage and vengeance giving it an edge beyond any definition of sharpness. It passed through the metal without slowing. No crown, said Bill Door, looking directly into the smoke. No crown. Only the harvest.

I feel Shepards Crown is half-finished.
You can honestly feel he was going somewhere with it and then it was cut short with his death and hastily finished by someone else.

Except Pratchett was basically the opposite of an SJW. He was very libertarian in his writings, and while he favored a mildly progressive morality he never demonized the "regressives" like SJWs do, but made the case that different strokes are for different folks.

It does sound like a lot of what gets often called SJW shit in this site, yes.

(In case it's not obvious, I'm implying that the average person in here wouldn't know what an actual SJW looks like if she flopped her sidecut in his face).

>That moment when Carrot and the Guards find Vimes at his lowest, having slipped back into the bottle and find out what kind of man he really is
Vimes is straight up the best character.

My nigga

My absolute favourite Vimes lines is from Night Watch
>He wanted to go home. He wanted it so much that he trembled at the thought. But if the price of that was selling good men to the night, if the price was filling those graves, if the price was not fighting with every trick he knew....Then it was too high.

Weren't his last few books ghostwritten? I thought that his daughter helped him on the last couple.

Snuff was bad. Even Eric was more enjoyable than that.

God I love that line.
That and
>How dare you? How dare you! At this time! In this place! They did the job they didn't have to do, and they died doing it, and you can't give them anything. Do you understand?
My personal favorite though is
>Vimes: Then it's something we're not seeing, damn it! People are dead, Captain! Mrs. Easy's dead!
>Carrot: Who, sir?
>Vimes: You've never heard of her?
>Carrot: Can't say that I have, sir. What did she use to do?
>Vimes: Do? Nothing, I suppose. She just brought up nine kids in a couple of rooms you couldn't stretch out in and she sewed shirts for a tuppence an hour, every hour the bloody gods sent, and all she did was work and keep to herself and she is dead, Captain. And so's her grandson. Aged fourteen months. Because her granddaughter took them some grub from the palace! A bit of a treat for them! And d'you know what? Mildred thought I was going to arrest her for theft! At the damn funeral, for gods' sake! It's murder now. Not assassination, not politics, it's murder.
That is THE Vimes moment for me, when you see why he became a Watchman in the first place.

Holy shit I'm only passingly aware of Pratchett and his works but this fucking devastated me

Full on ugly crying there for a few seconds

>Snuff was bad
It could have been better but it did have some fucking amazing moments
Vetinari getting a 'This is bullshit and I'm impressed' moment at the end was great and if you think about it was actually a pretty fantastic call back to the Fifth Elephant
>I carry with me the Truth, which is more valuable than any gold
>To deny us passage would be undwarven Sir.

Night Watch was pretty pro-gun tbqh.

>There had been that Weapons Law, for a start. Weapons were involved in so many crimes that. Swing reasoned, reducing the number of weapons had to reduce the crime rate. Vimes wondered if he’d sat up in bed in the middle of the night and hugged himself when he’d dreamed that one up. Confiscate all weapons, and crime would go down. It made sense. It would have worked, too, if only there had been enough coppers – say, three per citizen. Amazingly, quite a few weapons were handed in. The flaw though, was one that had somehow managed to escape Swing’ and it was this: criminals don’t obey the law. It’s more or less a requirement for the job. They had no particular interest in making the streets safer for anyone except themselves

That kind of reasoning would not go over well with todays SJWs.

Most of the people who had first-hand experience of SJWs were forced to migrate after GG.

Such a simple answer yet applies so strongly in real life. Anyone I meet who is anti-gun I actually tell that exact reasoning to and they rarely, if ever, find a good comeback.

All anti-gun laws do is fuck over the law-abiding citizen and their capacity to protect themselves. If someone wants to commit a gun crime, they will find a gun.

The weapons mentioned are axes, knives, clubs and other common household items.

Or keep the gun they already have when it comes time to turn them in.

In America maybe. Not so easy in other parts of the world. Also a person who owns a gun is more likely to use it on a family member or themselves than fighting off a stranger.

>The weapons mentioned are axes, knives, clubs and other common household items
Your point being?

Swedefag here, could get an illegal gun within 48 hours should I need one.
Gun control is the same here as over there, not controlling crime but controlling the people.

Oh, don't start THAT argument in THIS thread. Go to /pol/ if you want to argue about guncontrol.

Eh. I'm quite happy to live in a country where gun crimes are such a miniscule part of annual deaths that every time someone gets shot it's a first page of the newspaper story, thank you.

That's the case for almost all of the USA. It's only the exception in the big cities, where Democrats dominate and most of the populace aren't white.

>tfw I love Terry Pratchett but never got the chance to read all of his works.

It hurts man, it hurts so much.

Pretty much the same situation here, anyone getting shot ends up on national news.
Still doesn't change the fact pointed out in , going after the guns of people who already obey the law won't make the slightest of dent in gun crime statistics.
One could argue that banning guns would make homes safer but you would prevent far more deaths in the homes by banning step ladders.
Gun control has never ever been about the safety of the citizens, it is always about removing power from the individual.

Trading the normalization of a man being shot to death for the normalization of a man being stabbed to death is not a victory.

I digress however.

You shouldn't fear the end. I have on very good authority that he's very kind.

You can get them as ebooks. Check Veeky Forums; someone probably as an archive of stuff.

>Death: I lose. All I have is four ones.
Death is the best husbando.

It's common that art outlasts the artist. That is, if the artist was any good.

Buy them on audio book.

My dad got me into them when we used to go on long drives. We used to listen to them on the tape player. This wasnt even that long ago.

Fuck you.

Fuck you fuck you fuck you.

>could get an illegal gun within 48 hours should I need one.

Which is plenty of time for you to sober up, calm down, and realize that you don't really want to shoot the fucker/yourself.

It may not stop a properly planned and premeditated deal, but a very large chunk of lethal violence is a spur of the moment deal.

It's a real pity that Tony Robinson didn't do the unabridged versions, he's easily the best but I can't stand abridged books when I know what's missing.
Nigel Planer does a great Rincewind, but has a bit of samevoice in other areas, and Steven briggs is decent enough but simply can't emote properly

>live like I have a gun to my head
I have a shotgun with a shell with my name on it for when my mind starts to go. It will be by my own Will that I end, where I choose and not in for some godforsaken home or hospital infirm and forgetful.

How do I get into Discworld? I know nothing about it because I'm a dirty faggot.

Gramps had this kind of a plan. Fell couple stair and broke some bones, spent over a month in the bed, it kicked in while he was down, I guess the passivity make him start slipping. By the time he could walk again, he didn't remember the place has a cellar, much less what he had prepared in there.

If I snap and promptly need my neighbor dead, a knife will kill equally well.
I live in a part of Sweden where next to every single household have guns and gun crime is unheard of.
Meanwhile in the big cities where legal guns are extremely rare, gun crime is almost a bi-weekly occurrence. Meanwhile, the man in blue is busy dreaming up new laws to limit the guns up here where I live, both in numbers and capacity. This they claim is to reduce gun crime down in the cities or so they claim.