Malifaux General

Old and Busted edition

>Books
Malifaux (Including Ripples of Fate): mega.nz/#F!cg00BCoD!mDHocpgWP_hkkM3CpCBwrQ

Through the Breach (Complete): mega.nz/#F!Z9sVSYTS!U2J243KhVsUuOqAnsqTj4A

Book 1 - Basic Rules and first wave of updated (from 1st edition of malifaux) models
Book 2 - Second wave of updated models
Book 3 - Campaign system and new M2E models
Book 4 - New models
Book 5 - Just announced

Discord voice chat for malifaux chat and memery: discord.gg/xWkuFRz

Through the Breach Fated Almanac - Basic rules for the RPG set in Malifaux
Through the Breach Fatemaster Almanac - GM stuff for the RPG

>What is Malifaux?
Malifaux is a 32mm Skirmish Tabletop game, with a focus on completing several different objectives, while denying your opponent their objectives

New Gaining Grounds Tournament Rules: themostexcellentandawesomeforumever-wyrd.com/topic/123837-gaining-grounds-2017/

Link to the previous general:

Other urls found in this thread:

themostexcellentandawesomeforumever-wyrd.com/topic/129256-monday-preview-july-31st/
themostexcellentandawesomeforumever-wyrd.com/topic/129265-july-2017-errata/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>Dear diary; today, OP was not a fag.
Cheers OP.

To continue the last thread:
>Can anyone help me with Rasputina?

Let us know what hte problem is, and certainly.

As a general fix, take a couple of small fast things to bumrush her Ice Mirror nodes, hug lots of cover, and try not to clump into Blast-able targets.

Not dissimilar to Sonia.

This. If blasts are a problem, friekorps are good.

Trappers are pretty much a must take in every outcast crew in.

>in.
Imo

I find Seamus utterly repulsive as a character, but I have to admit "Do You Know Who I Am?" makes me more interested in actually playing him. High hopes that the rest of the book's upgrades are as interesting and effective.

How do you guys feel about these frameworks for Nellie builds?

(1) Nellie Cochrane - 4ss cache
+Misleading Headlines - 1ss
+Delegation - 1ss
+Guild Funds - 1ss
(2) Printing Press - 3ss
(3) Phiona Gage - 8ss
+Transparency - 1ss
+Debt to the Guild - 1ss
(4) Francisco Ortega - 8ss
+Wade In - 1ss
+Debt to the Guild - 1ss
(5) Peacekeeper - 11ss
+Numb to the World - 1ss
(6) Field Reporter - 4ss
(7) Field Reporter - 4ss
(8) Watcher - 4ss

(1) Nellie Cochrane - 5ss cache
+Delegation - 1ss
+Embedded - 1ss
(2) Printing Press - 3ss
(3) Phiona Gage - 8ss
+Transparency - 1ss
+Numb to the World - 1ss
(4) Sue - 8ss
+Debt to the Guild - 1ss
(5) Burt Jebsen - 7ss
+Debt to the Guild - 1ss
(6) Johan - 6ss
+Debt to the Guild - 1ss
(7) Big Jake - 5ss
(8) Field Reporter - 4ss

I agree, but I don't think you're supposed to see a homicidal maniac who sorounds himself with undead hookers to be a nice, or sympathetic character. At best he's supposed to be a Hannibal lecter character.

Haven't seen the upgrade yet, but I do like that the outcasts now get Spring-heeled Jack to his Jack the Ripper

I still need to read the MC where Midnight Stalker showed up.

I like the second list more. I'd definitely give Big Jake debt over anyone else, since he's practically designed to die.

I didn't know he had a story, I just saw his start card.

I'm hoping the model is good. I'll probably grab it, despite not playing outcasts.

My local malifaux scene is prettymuch dead, only person to actually play locally is a hyperactive manchild who attempts to cheat prettymuch every game and it's just not worth bothering trying to play him.
How's it feel playing online using Vassal?

The area I'm in is dead too. I only play with the friends I've recruited into the game.

There looks to be a pretty active ring on the forums and AWP, so you'll get games if you're in the right time-zone.

Which do you take into this, and why?

Deployment: Standard (6C)
Strategy: Interference / Reconnoiter (4M)
Schemes: (13R, 2C)

Frame for Murder (R)
Dig Their Graves (C)
Last Stand (13)
Undercover Entourage (2)
Claim Jump (Always)

Your opponent declares: Resurrectionists

As an Arcanist, against Ressurs and with Last Stand and Entourage in the pool, I'd be sorely tempted by:

Mei Feng
Kang - 9ss
Mechanized Porkchop - 7ss
Oxfordian Mage - 5ss
Oxfordian Mage - 5ss
Oxfordian Mage - 5ss

Leaves me 19ss for upgrades and a couple of Performers or a few Metal Gamin.

Straddling one of the Interference quarters, under cover of Vented Steam, Kang (Worker's Champion that he is) inspires the Mages to deliver disgusting damage output against Undead and Constructs.
Meanwhile the Piggy and Metal Gamin lay a trail of Scrap up the board for the Feng Express to roll up Turn 4 or 5.

Mages can score me Last Stand all by themselves, and their firepower with Kang's bonuses should keep the no-man's land clear.

50 SS Outcasts Crew
Leveticus + 4 Pool
- Oath Keeper (1)
- Tally Sheet (1)
- Pariah of Iron (1)
Hollow Waif (0)
Hollow Waif (0)
Taelor (10)
- Oath Keeper (1)
Big Jake (5)
Soulstone Miner (6)
Performer (6)
Performer (6)
Necropunk (5)
Necropunk (5)

(exported from CrewFaux)

I'd get dig their Graves and claim jump.
They'll probably get free points off of frame for murder

Also, I'm very bad at the game. Any other outcast players have any input?

I know the general tricks and whatnot, but what kind of core builds/model pools do people like for Kirai? It feels harder to decide what to hire than what to summon.

So there is a faggot at my FLGS that plays every game like it's a tourney. It's so bad that no one wants to play the guy anymore, including the Henchman who ends up taking tourney lists so they guy has some one to play against. Alot of the people here are just looking to have fun on their off time not stress about which grey unpainted bullshit he'll field when I'm looking to relax. Now I get wanting to practice for tournamemts, but he doesn't seem to get that no one here gives a shit about that. How do we:
>tell him to quit his shit and get him to change
Or
>get him to find another store
This is after people telling him multiple times they don't have playing against him

What exactly does playing the game like it's a tourney entail? I could understand saying no to timing your matches or hurrying you up but it sounds like he just takes lists well suited for the objectives?

From context it sounds like he always plays full throttle. He can't scale back to more casual play, he always tries to crush his opponent. My meta was like that and it was miserable learning the game from guys like that.

All you can do is just not play him user. I hate tourney fags something fierce, and I hate how they poison metas, but there's nothing actually wrong with him playing that way. If nobody plays him, he leaves or tones his shit down. If he doesn't the only way to not play him is don't play in a tourney. It's a shitty situation, but the only way to win this is not play.

I thought we'd avoided money if the WAAC fags.

As long as you still have guys too pay, you're doing good.

It's not like the opposite is that much better. My local meta (admittedly only 6 guys) is filled with people who will refuse to listen to any kind of advice, never adjust their playstyle to what their opponents do and then bitch and moan about how this or that faction is op and how they have the worst luck and all that.

I can take the most ridiculous lists and still win just about every match because I actually know how to play the schemes rather than fuck around shooting and hitting shit. Against each other just fucking around gets rewarded because their opponents do the same, so whenever I'm up I can either play normally and crush them or go with the most ridiculous shit I can think of and still breeze through it. I don't even like tournaments, especially the pace. I just want leisurely games where people try their best.

>How do you guys feel about these frameworks for Nellie builds?

Very similar to two I use.

(1) Nellie Cochrane - 4ss cache
+Delegation - 1ss
(2) Printing Press - 3ss
(3) Phiona Gage - 8ss
+Transparency - 1ss
+Debt to the Guild - 1ss
(4) Francisco Ortega - 8ss
+Wade In - 1ss
+Debt to the Guild - 1ss
(5) Peacekeeper - 11ss
+Numb to the World - 1ss
(6) Master Queeg
+Promises - 1ss
+Debt to the Guild - 1ss
(7) Field Reporter - 4ss

(1) Nellie Cochrane - 5ss cache
+Delegation - 1ss
+Embedded - 1ss
(2) Printing Press - 3ss
(3) McTavish - 10ss
+Debt to the Guild - 1ss
+Vengeance Bullet - 1ss
(4) Bishop - 10ss
+Debt to the Guild - 1ss
(5) Burt Jebsen - 7ss
+Debt to the Guild - 1ss
(6) Big Jake - 5ss
(7) Field Reporter - 4ss
(8) Field Reporter - 4ss

I can't see myself using guild funds right now just don't see a way to effectively generate that much evidence. Besides that I'd play them especially the merc list.

Which totem do you guys go for with Asami? I was thinking of using the kamaitachi and bringing Tannen as my sole card support. I have seen some use Hannah and Annah, but I am not sure whether it is worth it to hire either.

I don't really feel she needs a totem. The Malifaux Child is no good with her ridiculous amount of TN's and I've always found this magical Kamaitachi+Terracotta warrior trick far to expensive for what you get out of it.

I don't play with her, and it's probably not 'the meta', but Amanjaku's Flicker bumps have fucked me many a time.
Why is he not useable?

Ok, that sounds piss annoying.

Have a tournament, enforce painting requirements.
Say it's a "standard GG" thing, then send him home when he turns up with The Greys.
Or accept that when he comes up in the rotation of peple you haven't played in ages you are probably going to lose, but once in a while it's good for your game to try and force yourself to play at a higher level.

Oddly enough those miniatures are painted very well, but then boom! you look at the face and piano and decide that thinning paints is a good option for that painter.

You can tell them what they do wrong and it will lower the moaning pretty quick.
1. Do not play with him unless 75% of models he is using are fully painted.
2. Straight up tell him if you do not want to play a "hardcore" game.

In both cases they say in the post that they've already spoken to the person in question regarding the issue.
Now, this is Veeky Forums so you can take that with a pinch of salt, but (at least at my FLGS) I get the impression that the Malifaux community is a little more socially adult than the average.

I've given them tonnes of tips during and after games, but they keep making the exact same misplays time and time again.

There's a somewhat national group that tends to meet up at different LFGSs across the country and going there is always a blast, but it's often some 2~4 hours of travel and they often just stick to tournaments, which I'm not a huge fan of. It's something about this group that doesn't make for a very pleasant experience.

Hey guys what are some good Neverborn beaters?

You generally go for Nekima, or a Teddy or a Mature Nephilim for slightly less stones.

Thanks

>That crew
I don't know why I like it so much, but I do.

I'm not sure honestly. It's weird but u feel like the think vibrant paint adds something. Like a cartoonishness.

I have wanted to try a mounted guard and Yasunori in tangent, so I am trying something new.

50 SS Ten Thunders Crew
McCabe + 4 Pool
- Badge Of Speed (2)
- Glowing Saber (2)
- Promises (1)
Luna (4)
Yasunori (12)
- Recalled Training (1)
Mounted Guard (7)
Terracotta Warrior (5)
Ten Thunders Brother (5)
Guild Hound (3)
Guild Hound (3)
Guild Hound (3)

Any suggestions? I realize that I am tight on stones, and the terracotta warrior may be more incidental. I am thinking that I could replace the brother and the warrior with an enforcer and a low river monk if need be.

Teach me how to Sandeep - just got into Malifaux and cannot deal with pesky Ressers and Neverborn

>Play Sandeep
>Don't lose
>Win
That simple

So Sandeep is a force multiplyer, he makes good models amazing, just use models like the captain and oxfordian mages to forget about taking names as they whoop asses

It's amazing how much better a little set-dressing can make a crew look.

If you just got into Malifaux, you gotta work on yo fundamentals - focus on scoring points, planning how to score those points, and watching your positioning for ranges/auras.

It really makes the game a million times better when both sides have painted models with a theme that fits

Any experience running Datsue-Ba with Seamus?

Not with Saemus, no, but a coupleof dudes near me run her a .lot. and she can be a real pain in the ass.
I can see her working with Saemus.

Situation: have not played.
Have Lucius crew and M2e rule book. Buying starter set, Collette crew box, coryphees. Looking to play Lucius on the neverborn side.

What do? Wife is a very serious player with excellent math skills, wants to beat me like a rented mule.

Wife must have an all-female crew, coryphees count as female. She likes Colette, hence box purchase.

What should I get to help Lucius in this situation?

Doppelganger, Nekima or Nephilim, Corrupted Hounds.
Probably in that order.

Though to be fair, just adding the Starter Set models to each crew is probably fine for a while.
You have the luxury of taking the Neverborn inmates with Neverborn Lucius and the medical team with Guild Lucius - you have two full crews with just that one set.

There is no conspiracy to make traditional games politically correct. Characters in fiction and gaming communities simply change with respect to the latest cultural values. But you fedora-tipping cancerous fucks always blame imaginary SocJus boogeymen when people start hating you for the shit that you do. As long as you continue to refuse act like decent human beings, people will keep noticing.

But of course, you will keep blaming imaginary "SJWs", "poseurs" and "normies" when you the public hates you for the scum you are. And let's not even get started on how you all react to games becoming more popular and easily accessible.

That's tripfags for ya.

Go away, we're discussing wardollies

Why the fuck did someone attack the least active general on Veeky Forums? Especially considering I don't think we've ever actually shit talked any other game (except maybe Warmahordes for their !Neverborn Faction). You'd think people would cast their b8 in more populous seas

Does Kirai get anything worthwhile out of Shieldbearers?

They have the Spirit keyword (eventually), but obviously teching too hard into the keywords is all too often a trap.

I picked them up fitlhy cheap of eBay, so I'm not exactly tied to using them, but I'd be interested to hear if they are used widely or viewed paarticularly positively outside of Reva.

Were you trying to start a new thread, tripfriend?
It looks like you may have mistakenly posted unrelated content in this game-focused General.

So if you have a strong beater with pounce, you can use shield bash to push them for a nudge to activate pounce, add in their Not Today (0) and you've got a decent Tarpit that synergizes well to take out big threats

Yeah, they've got some decentabilities, and I've heard people swear by Shield Press (trigger, on failure still do 1 damage).

I was just wondering if there's any reason Kirai specifically would get more work out of them because they become Spirits, compared to similarly-costed Spirit models.

The start off living so can trigger Ikyrio, are pretty tanky, can get fast Kirai when has to use a stone to summon. Very much a solid model in Kirai crew.

I had forgotten
a) Malevolence only triggers of Living/Undead, and
b) Ikiryo costs a Stone every time you summon her.

Suddenly I feel like burning her down every time she popped up wasn't a waste of time after all - she can be fiddly and expensive to keep popping out, even if Kirai gets less stone-hungry later game.

>Ikiryo costs a Stone every time you summon her.
Its a stone or a card, which makes it a lot less painful.

How do I play Colette?

I picked up her box a couple of months ago, and I just keep getting crushed - everything except Cassandra and Colette dies as soon as anyone looks at it.
It's all very well saying "score your VP", but I need models with AP to do that.

At the moment I have the Colette and Ramos boxes, mostly been trying to make Showgirls box + Joss/Howard + a spider or two.

Ramos seems pretty straightforward, especially with opponents letting me proxy Swarms so I can have more individual spiders on the board, but I just can't seem to keep the Performers alive long enough to be useful.

Which non-gremlin masters do good with their fluffy crew (So lynch with darkened, perdita with family, schill with freikorps, etc.)? I know it can depend greatly on scheme and strat pool, but generally speaking.

Kirai and spirits
Colette and showgirls
Marcus and beasts

Most masters do pretty well with thier themed crews.

>but I just can't seem to keep the Performers alive long enough to be useful.
Try working on you positioning. You should be about to keep them out of line of sight or in cover as you move then up the board.

Fair enough - I'll have to focus on it a bit harder.
Maybe I'm having too much fun with the Disappearing Act thing teleporting them all over the place, instead of proper cautious play.

It's the Guild that are giving me fits at the moment - dogs in my face and Ram Trigger moderate damage shooting removing models in one shot.

Also, anyone seen any good Colette crew paintjobs around?
This pic pops up a bunch, but otherwise they all seem pretty plain.

Just get the Nightmare Colette set if you want something less plain.

Don't like it - bit too comical for my tastes.
And twice the price.
And I already have the Smoke and Mirrors box.

Just wanted to see if anyone had any more interesting paintjobs for the normal Showgirl crew.

Scratch that, found an incredible crew.
Surprisingly enough, just the same theme as executed differently.

That is fantastic

Right?
It is bananas good.

I wonder if the sombreros are green stuff.

I think they must be - I don't know else you'd do the pink and blue Mannequin's one.

The luchador masks slay me.

I think I'll bump this thread with the remainder of these pics I have for a while.

The more I see this OP the more uncomfortable young cute Dita mades me.

Anyone slightly annoyed that the game has a pay to win of sorts due to any model for faction being allowed in tourneys instead of having a predetermined model pool like other games with list building?

What? Like any other miniature game you pay to get models you want, which in turn might get you a win. That is the nature of the hobby. Limiting crew building when it's such an integral part of the game would really hurt it.

No I mean the constant advantage of someone who has brought all the models for the faction as opposed to someone who say... owns half a faction.

Much like the advantage of someone having two crewboxes vs one. More things will give you more options, nothing you can do about that, though if you optimize your purchases and critically look at the models offered you can get away with needing less than half of any faction's units.

Nope. Diminishing returns. And if someone's good enough to know all the models in a faction well enough to include them instead of more common options he's experience with and get actual advantage that way, he's probably good enough to fuck me up anyway.

I tihkn the only gating ebhind money Wyrd does is the cards - either in the rulebooks, or boxes, or faction decks.

If you want to complain about physical models, then it's barely any different to any other game.

Your point about someone being able to bring more models to a game is somewhat valid, but is basically the same as someone being willing to pay for a Warhound.

>if you optimize your purchases and critically look at the models offered you can get away with needing less
As says, do your research and think properly and you don't need to bring sixty models.

Hell, there are a bunch of Masters that you can probably bring the same 35ss to every game, seasoned to taste by a big beater or pair of scheme runners etc.
For that, you'd need to buy three or four boxes.
Pic Related with an Emissary and a few bits and pieces can do that.

It's almost a mark of the top-rank players that they often play almost-fixed lists, because once you can cover most requirements of a scenario, how well you know and use the models is significantly more important than how OP shit is.

Agreed.

What is the giant bunny supposed to be? Howard?

I could swore that most to tournaments had you being a pool lot models to hire crews from.

Twisted Alt of the Blessed of December, I believe.

Genbu the Tortoise is his opposite number in the box as Izamu the Armour.

I think the Arcanists got a bum deal.

werent there supposed to be some errata balance thing right now ?

That is epic.

I think I'd honestly have wanted then both for alt Teddy, even if I don't run neverborn.

So, how does Collodi work in 2nd? He seems nothing like his 2st ed self.

Do you just have a swarm of 3-4ss significant models and play for schemes?

You also have a kill ball of super awesome puppets

Looking at it now, it makes more sense. Hard to kill models+ heals from carrion and brutal effigy makes them a lot more survivable.

I was basically missing what the effigies add to the crew for cheap.

>I was basically missing what the effigies add to the crew for cheap.
Eeeeeeeeeeeeverything.
The Effigy Collodi list is fucking irritating as all fuck to play against.

Genbu is just a dope as fuck model.
I don't like Luther's cartoony look, but for a non-grimdark model devoid of context he looks pretty cool.

Posting Colette in a Colette thread, since it's obviously not a hotDita thread anymore.

>Those fishnets
Me guasta

They're both pretty cartoon. I think I might still pick up the box when I get a chance.

What list would want 3 teddies though? Zorida?

What is a good brand of glow-in-the-dark paint? I want to use it paint my Will-o-Whisps and my Lynch crew

I just buy luminescent powder from e2046 (Better sources may exist) and mix it in with paint.

Now that I'm looking there are a good number of really well done fishnet-clad Colettes.

I thinkZoraida with Hexed Among You and Serena Bowman with her Warped Reality(?) ability would be fun - three Teddies and three Waldegeists deployed on your doorstep is lined up for the swingiest game ever.

Who is a good fourth to add to a Last Stand squad consisting of Cassandra, Angelica and bigman Carlos Vasquez?

I've previously done it with a trio of Mages instead of Carlos, but I've just picked him up and want to get table time with him.

Newb question but what would people say are auto includes for a Dreamer List?

I don't think I could fit 3 teddies at that point done with Serena that's already 43ss iirc.

Although looking at her card, I just saw that her heal can remove conditions...

It's a goofy list but:
Neverborn Crew - 50 - Scrap

Zoraida -- 4 Pool
+Hex Bag [1]

Nurse [6]
Teddy [11]
Teddy [11]
+Warped reality [1]
Teddy [11]
+Warped reality [1]
Serena Bowman [7]
+Warped reality [1]

Basic plan is that Serena and two teddies deploy upfield. The nurse gives the they'd teddy +2 walk, Zorida shoots it up to 19" upfield, Serena removes it's only walk condition when it gets upfield.

Enemy crew has to deal with 3 teddies and Serena turn 1. Game to probably decided by the end of 2.

I kind of really want to play this list now. Like a Malifaux equivalent of red deck wins.

themostexcellentandawesomeforumever-wyrd.com/topic/129256-monday-preview-july-31st/

That's pretty horrible bro.
Still, would make a nice change from the two- or three-hour games I'm used to if everything is resolved in the first half-hour.

Maybe because it's non-human, but that's the best piece of art to come out of this wave so far.
I look forward to it getting a translucent release.
And also the spirit being molded in eight parts, each with a different part of the legs moulded onto it.

themostexcellentandawesomeforumever-wyrd.com/topic/129265-july-2017-errata/

Welp, errata time.

The Mechanical Rider's summon increased its TN by 2 (making it less likely to top deck), and its Arcane Ritual Trigger is significantly changed. It now places a single Scheme Marker within 1" of the target, but can position it further away for each additional Tome. It is no longer limited to once per Turn.
>The Mechanical Rider has been a standout model for awhile now. The increase in TN for summoning will make it more likely to require resources without stopping it from this function, and the Trigger change will make it less skilled at Schemes while still being quite good at them. This is a knock, but not one that fundamentally changes how this model plays.
Wind Gamin no longer bury when killed. Now, if they die, they can push a model 5".
>Wind Gamin are a powerful 4ss model, and the point of this change was to be sure they died, thereby functioning within the normal confines of the game.
Practiced Production now prevents you from placing Scheme Markers near non-Peon, non-Insignificant enemy models.
>This should help with some of the stronger combinations with models like the Malifaux Raptors by requiring models that could score to begin with, thus controlling this powerful Upgrade.
Stuffed Piglets are now 3 Soulstones to hire.
>There have been complaints for a long time now about cheap Activations in the form of Stuffed Piglets. By making them cost 3, it limits this ability without impacting their gameplay for those that like them as they are.

I'm okay with those.

>Stuffed piglet
FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK

well, RIP

>Stuffed Piglets are now worthless
Ftfy

>That's pretty horrible bro
Terrible like a fox.

I really like the Bokor model.
The rules seem kinda meh though.

I think I'd be alright with it, if the Pigapult dropped in price dramatically. It was already pretty unusable, but now it's 12 ss, if you want to fire it for a single turn.