Is Grimdark a relic of the nineties and should be abandoned?

Is Grimdark a relic of the nineties and should be abandoned?

Eighties, not nineties. And no, it's fine. Everyone likes a dystopia.

If anything, we need more grimdark.
>this could've been tau

Yes. Grimderp is laughable.

maybe just a little

It's a flavor. It's like saying there's too much Caramel Cashew Ice Cream, and that it should have remained in the decade when it was invented.

Ultimately it just depends on what you and your group are in the mood for, not whatever the current fad, or hate-fad, is on Veeky Forums.

t. faggot

Abandoned? No. But it should be toned down a bit. Unrelenting grim darkness and everything and everyone being awful is a good way to desensitize viewers and make it hard to give a shit about the story/world. Wouldn't matter if it were still just a wacky over the top parody, but I don't really think that's true anymore

The 'best' flavor for 40k is sillydark, as it started and should've remained. While the grimdark is what lured me into the game, I stayed because of the old ridiculous stuff.

This. 40k desperately needs to get back to the heavy 2000ad influence.

yes and thank the Goddess that GW has finally realized that as well. the new primaris releases are smoother, sleeker and more modern.

yeah they should go back to parody. camp it up. ultra-macho 80s parody is in in a big way right now, deadly serious emo grimdarkness is not. go back to the roots.

>Is Grimdark a relic of the nineties and should be abandoned?
Fucking ESL morons.

>smoother, sleeker and more modern.
this is the opposite of what they should be doing. you can't modernise 40k without it losing its character, but you can play up its goofy retro charm.

To be honest the most grimdark stuff came about in the early 2000

>Grimdark
Should be abandoned regardless from whatever year came from.

There is a difference between Grimdark and Grimderp.

Grimdark is cruel, inhumane, or otherwise edgy practices/events, that ultimately have some sort of purpose within the universe (such as feeding Psykers to the Astronomican).

Grimderp is Grimdark just for the sake of Grimdark, with no real "practical" (and I use that word loosely) effect in the setting.

It was never a parody.

It was a pastiche.

The two are very different things.

>go back to the roots
yeah, we need more horrifically gruesome depictions of what humanity became in the distant future

Yes
>We Nobledark now

>Grimdark is cruel, inhumane, or otherwise edgy practices/events, that ultimately have some sort of purpose within the universe (such as feeding Psykers to the Astronomican).
That's literally grimderp.

Isn't absurdity the point?

This, between 1984, Dune and 40k, dystopias are my fictional bread and butter. The more gothic architecture the better.

>the Imperium is now massively increasing its military power to the point it has an actual chance now
>the Imperium's de facto leader is a primarch and therefore not blinded by worship of the God-Emperor
>the Imperium has no issue with new technology anymore
>the Imperium's bureaucrats' power is being curbed by Guilliman
>the Imperium has a tentative alliance with the eldar, a xenos race
Grimdark is dead.

How Dune was a dystopia?

As far as i remember most of Imperium was actually pretty cosy.

Im still 100% convinced they just ripped the NobleDark threads on Veeky Forums.

No I love dystopias

Yes. Grimdark is stupid and the people who unironically like grimdark should be euthanized.

no u

It might seem dystopian because of the feudalism, Orange Catholic Bible and knife fighting. But, they tee it all up by mentioning the family atomics, shields, lasguns and artillery. The whole point is to make a set up where a bunch of knife wielding natives can beat the hardened elite of the galaxy without getting sci fi weapons.

>billions die in pointless wars of conquest that not even the most powerful man in the galaxy could prevent
>not a dystopia
Things were a bit less shitty before Jessica fell in love with Leto and created the Kwisatz Haderach a generation early, though.

Its a low-tech then rather than dystopian.

Making a 'setting' shitty after a story plot unfolds doesn't make it all shitty setting. Dune did turn a bit genocidal after a while but it wasn't dystopia. Shit most of these fuckers love it for sake of it.

Didn't most of the Dune universe actually lived in thousand year quietus of complete and utter opulence and ecstasy as God Emperor was churning out the whole Golden Path? So thats makes most of timeline of Dune an actual Utopia. Think of it Herbert actually turned the whole Comedy/Tragedy thing on its head and thats rare.

Muad'Dib's Jihad was the result of Paul overusing his prescience and setting up the stage for the eventual extinction of the species. It was not a typical part of the setting. Really, if you want to argue for Dune being dystopian, why don't you quote the novel where humanity is ruled by a seemingly omniscient, immortal, indestructible, genocidal half-sandworm God-Emperor whose aim was to crush humanity's dignity so completely over his millennia of rule that they wouldn't let themselves be swayed by charismatic leaders ever again?

Leto's rule was notoriously shitty, though. Like, that's the whole point. He even cut the Spice supply, so people went back to living 100-ish years at most rather than the 300+ they had since Arrakis was discovered. Leto's peace was him collectively cucking the entire species from their free will

Yeah, just realized how stupid my post was after reading yours i presume. This is the whole is New Brave World an Utopian or Dystopian vision.

Means to an end, Leto Junior was kind of a dick tho.

Is that a bad thing?

>Feeding the souls of psykers to the Emperor so he can power the Astronomicon and be the Light of the Imperium is Grimderp
ISHYGDDT

Not him but yes, those things are cringy as fuck.

Is this a bad thing? Im not one to judge, but whole noble dark is made to be light on fluff and is quite cringy and autistic from time to time and has absolutely no coherence as of yet it also shows how fucking stupid, disrespectful, inept and lazy GW really is if its the case.

So yeah... it might be a bad thing after all.

The first book not so much. But then the universe gets drowned in the reign of blood that the Divine dynasty of the Atreides family. Sure it's all for a Machiavellian good cause, but that didn't stop 4000 years of psychic-tyrannical dystopia to get there.

I think the issue 40k has is that it's lost its aim with time. It went from metal-album-cover self-awarely ridiculous to wanting to be taken seriously

>wanting to be taken seriously
People like to point at 4e for this, but I personally think the worst case of 40k trying to take itself too seriously for its own good is the fucking poorly written melodrama of the HH series.

This

Its less about grimdark and more about how seriously the series takes itself. The world being too straight faced is bad. Like, really bad.