What are some of the dumbest things you've heard from people in the hobby, Veeky Forums?

What are some of the dumbest things you've heard from people in the hobby, Veeky Forums?

So far mine are
>The vancian casting system is balanced and the ONLY way to design and play casters without breaking games
>Shadowrun is bad because it's always the same story and it doesn't have any room for other stories like Cyberpunk does
>HP and AC aren't abstractions, they're well-founded representations of the reality within the game
>PnP RPGs are played and somewhat popular only because they're a cheap hobby
>You can't play D&D without miniatures!
>Rules should always be followed to the letter, otherwise we're just playing pretend - people who modify rules are essentially breaking the game, because mechanics should always come before narrative
>Pathfinder is a beginner-friendly system
>Martial characters should have gritty realism to their mechanics even if there's magic and supernatural abilities within the game, otherwise they wouldn't have the same feel to them
>I can't believe the human in the D&D 5e manual is a black woman, we must stand against the SJW menace!
>Nobody likes [game that the person talking doesn't like] because [reasons why he doesn't like them]
>Of course I won't play X edition of [game] with you, I played Y edition with other people and it was dogshit, I don't care if you tell me this edition fixes [things she's complaining about right now]

I'm sure there are more, but these are the ones that I remember right now

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=vwuQPfvSSlo
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>Players act like retards because you're playing a bad system!

>Pathfinder monks are overpowered, wizards are underpowered until at least level eight

After reading this, I need a baby aspirin.

>Numenera isn't a class based system at all!

Fucking what?

>5e fixed the problems with D&D and is a pretty good system

>Veeky Forums is good

You people clinging to your dated, broken system with the occasional new coat of paint are a blight on the hobby. Gaming would be better if every one of you were dead.

>[supplemental 3rd party system for Pathfinder] is balanced and basically required to run any game whatsoever

PoW and Spheres are the worst meme. Everyone wants to play Godkiller Mcnuclear from level 1 and nobody can fathom playing a game where casters are nerfed.

I wonder which of the shitty dead systems this one is shilling for. I hope it's Dungeon World.

>Pathfinder is fixed 3.5!
I've fallen for this meme myself once upon a time.

>"How about a D&D one-shot where we dont get to see our character sheet?"
>Accompanied by tumblr post about idea, including a character not realizing theyre a Dragonborn until an NPC mentions it

They're getting a Paranoia one shot instead.

>I've never heard of this game/system, so I don't want to try it
I've ran into multiple people like this and it makes me wonder how they've managed to even find any kinds of hobbies to begin with. My brother's also like this with music.

this one makes me incredibly mad
there's one dude in particular that said these in separate occassions

>man i'm fucking tired of D&D, I don't wanna play medieval fantasy anymore, I wanna try out new things
>man I don't want to play this game, it's complicated and unfun, why don't we just play D&D instead?

>it's clearly not what the rule means. I'm not going to play it that way.

Fuck off with your RAI.

>D&D is bad because it's popular

>GURPS is better than a system designed for X because it can kind of do X too

Conversely
>Well, the rules don't say that I CAN'T do it...

>This system was designed for X so it must be better than a generic system that can also run X

>GM I want my character to have [special lol random item], can I roll to find it?
>Group is all good friends so eventually GM cracks and actually lets them do this
>Barely level 2
>Player's character is basically a packract for wish-fulfillment items
>When they aren't trying to insert and instantly acquire dumb shit into the game they actively try to steer the party onto their own made-up quest
>"I got a letter from my elf village, they need my help, let's go to my house XD"
>GM'sfw
It was kind of worth it just to see the character get fucking eviscerated by an owlbear in a single crit hit though

Compared to some boards, yes it is good.

Veeky Forums a sword without a hilt. There is no safe way to grasp it.

>Players should have 100% agency over everything that happens to their PC at all times.

>A game must be fun 100% of the time or it is a failure.

>If you're a truly good GM you can run a game without using anything at all from TV Tropes.

>what is halfswording

wat ur mum has to do with ur tiny dick lmoa

>I don't let the players get killed because it would get in the way of the story

both of these are valid within their own context and good god i hate them both whenever they're wrong

So like, Shit Veeky Forums says?

youtube.com/watch?v=vwuQPfvSSlo
Educate yourself, you summer child.

I slightly disagree with the HP/AC one.
They are abstractions, but they're concrete

I've seen this video before.
I just wanted to meem

Essentially yes. I sometimes come away from this board with mad beautiful ideas, but more often suddenly painfully aware of the conceited ignorant hateful eldritch abominations that take residence too far from the unreachable void of space and too close to our sacred past-times.

"explosions in outer space are bigger because there isn't any oxygen to impede the flames"

>A game must be fun 100% of the time or it is a failure.
But this is true, otherwise what's the point?

Because when a game or quest is frustrating its very satisfying when you finally overcome and win.

>I want to do this because there's no rule that says I can't
>GM tells him no, and tries to push on with the game
>Guy argues, literally gets into a tantrum about it
>GM caves and lets him do his bullshit
>Guy gets a bad roll
>"Can I take it back?"
I don't know how our GM is so patient with some of the stupid shit half our party does. Looking back, I'd have killed us all long ago to try and teach a lesson.

>I stick my balls on the anvil for the challenge, not because I'm a masochist, honest
There's a difference between an honest challenge (which is fun in itself) and total bullshit (which is not). Please learn this before GMing anything.

A game must be fun overall.
Fun 100% of the time simply doesn't work, primarily because most games include at least two people and no two people have perfectly compatible ideas about what constitutes "fun".

>These faggots thinking that Jewish supported degeneracy is ok

>Frustration = horrible excruciating pain
Not what I meant and you know it you fucking bellend.

>being this mad
It's okay to be a masochist now user, why else do so many video games with artificial bullshit difficulty exist?

>"It's a game, you should want to get every advantage out of your character!"
>"That's true but rerolling stats until I get the best of everything while not giving my characters flaws makes my character unrealistic. I like having that bit of bad I guess, besides I can always come up with new ways around my drawbacks or you guys could help out."
>"But that's retarded. "
Fair point if I was going with a character who had pretty much low-end rolls on all my stats but I don't see how 18/11/17/6/8/15 stats aren't useable. And personality flaws don't make a character bad.

This from me even though i've never played DnD
>in dnd theres only hack and slash so theres no roleplaying
i said that infront of my gm who likes dnd and now im afraid i might get kicked ;_;

>rolling stats to begin with
>expecting the rest of the party to pick up your slack

I'm not expecting it, but if I'm not skilled in persuasion, I'll let the guy who is go first.

Wew, edgy lad here

>Everyone who hates D&D is a troll.

lol

I'm tired of this stupid fucking meme.

Wew, shitty flamers too? Must be Christmas in this thread

Games where all you do is win generally pitter out after a few sessions, and it's because there's generally no fucking point in playing a game that you know you're always going to win unless there's money involved.

>expecting to be the be-all-end-all and still have everyone have fun

>in dnd theres only hack and slash so theres no roleplaying
You're not entirely wrong. The EXP required to level up in more modern editions of D&D basically assumes that you'll be fighting in 6-8 encounters between long rests, which generally means that you're gonna be more focused on not combat than on interacting with NPC's or the environment.

>expecting to be good at what your character is expected to do is too much to hope for
You colossal retard

After re-reading the post I mostly side with the poster. Although fucking hell rolling a six on anything is terrible luck
Point-buy or arrays will always be superior

>I play DnD

>Point Buy is for power gamers
>Rolling for stats gives you more character
>Shitty stats add depth to a character
>You don't need good stats, just describe what you're trying to do.

>"I got a letter from my elf village, they need my help, let's go to my house XD"
PLAYERS CAN'T DO THAT WHAT THE FUCK TRIGGERED

>>Well, the rules don't say that I CAN'T do it...
This reminds me of how I destroyed an entire space station in Only War with demolition charges.