Jumpchain CYOA Thread #1643: Stranger Things Have Happened Edition

>Google Drive
drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B1qb0_OLhDrDSmZpRWdZaGZRcWs?tid=0B20r6rsFLOg_Zk5RdVdya3hJNnc&authuser=0

>Jumpchain IRC Chat
client00.chat.mibbit.com/?server=rizon.mibbit.org&channel=#JumpchainCYOA
kiwiirc.com/client/irc.rizon.net/?#JumpchainCYOA

>Rules
pastebin.com/Gqj3iKyn

>How to Jumpchain
drive.google.com/file/d/0B1qb0_OLhDrDNjZmRG02SDFaRVk/view

>Last Thread

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/54184645/#54189395
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I need anti corruption/purification perks.

All of them.

What are some good limitations and rules to put on a chain to make things more interesting?

So lets try this again... or continue this more accurately. I asked last thread for some suggestions for a good starting jump for a side chain I am thinking about doing. I got several interesting suggestions which I appreciate and am considering but I feel maybe I was a little unclear on what I wanted exactly. What are some good low powered jumps to serve as a good starting jump?.

There's some in Generic Magical Girl. Probably some in Nechronica too?

No companions.

You could look at the Universal Drawback Supplement or the Alt Chain Builder. They have some good ideas in them for making things more interesting.

The jumper is really just jump-chan's effects to make a sex slave.

Currently Schierke and Farose or however it's spelt are busy going through a dream scape made of Casca's memories with the goal of de-retarding her.

There's no such thing as fiat/conceptual absolutes. Things that that are far above your weight class can and will push your shit in, and vice versa. Things can get close, but nothing is certain.

Platoon.

>Stranger Things
>Duel Monsters: Shadow Realm
>Duel Monsters: Heroes
>JoJo's Bizarre Adventure
>Showa Kamen Rider Part 1
>Megaman Classic
>Generic Universal Monsters
>Classic Sonic

Dragon Ball GT isn't "interesting", user.

Persona
The World Ends With You
Batman: the Animated Series
Shrek

Then why do series which focus on conceptual absolutes tend to be far more interesting than those which focus on biggatons?

Neither is watching people talk about fiat backed absolute defenses and offenses that trivialize danger or challenges.

>You can't lie. You physically cannot lie. You can omit, you can be vague, but you cannot say anything that you know to be false.

>You always keep your word. Always, to the exact letter.

>You don't go home on death - you just die. You can only pick up one Companion per world at most, and they don't come back from death either.

>You paid for the Chain with your soul, and therefore have none. No soul-based perks for you. May or may not have emotions.

>Max drawbacks, always.

>The actual Jumper is your cat/dog/hamster/goldfish/whatever; you're just along for the ride because you feed/walk/clean up after them. They can import you as a Companion if they want, but you can't guarantee they'll remember to.

>tfw SB's "challenges" sound more interesting than this
Feels bad, man.

How goes Fables, YJ_user?

>Max drawbacks, always.
I like that it's kind of hardcore

What's the best weather manipulation perk in the chian?

What's the best option to siphon material and energy off of within the solar system assuming access to alt universes? I want the benefits of strip mining a planet bare, but I want to do it ethically.

Just find one where life never arose on primordial Earth. There should be plenty of them.

I dunno, I like the hamster one. You could even go to Hamtaro first.

Don't bother with planets. Mining planets is for suckers, you have to dig through miles of rock to get anything good and the energy costs to get things out of the gravity well are huge. Go for the asteroids, instead. Lots of easily-accessible material right there. And perfectly ethical, nothing's going to evolve on an asteroid.

Valeria, what's the speed you could reach with three purchases of Physical Enhancement: Speed?

Assuming you're talking about JoJo where everyone has a conceptual or overpowered ability, it's because of good writing and the characters being threatening/achieving victory through clever application of their powers.

Nobody is hitting instant win buttons, strategy is constantly coming into play, and the ones that get hyped up as unstoppable or overpowered compared to everyone else are fun to watch being beaten since it's usually through strokes of genius rather than straightforward overpowering. Ignore Giorno.

In Jumpchain, you can stack so many that there's never any real threat or need for strategy, so it's more like Mitzlplik fucking with the Justice League without the "make him say his name backwards" part.

Alright thank you and everyone else who made suggestions I am sure I can find something from this list to make an interesting start and I am sure some of the other suggestions will pop up early in the chain.

I have two options for you, which sounds better to you; Gas giants, and dead stars.

That's fair.

You don't need absolute defenses for that.
Just getting one of the better regeneration perks already makes at least half of all available jumps trivial. Probably more.

It's a simple fact that any jumper with a double-digit number of jumps is a Mary Sue of epic proportions, unless you deliberately pick low-power jumps or take only shitty perks.

It's basically this The only thing that makes reading about jumpchains interesting is if the author manages to pull something clever.
Straight-up combat only works as long as you're being challenged, which most mid- to late jumpers will never be, absolute defenses or not.

What's nechronia?

Any others?

I can kind of see draining a gas giant for resources and exploiting the movement of the gasses to generate power, but how the fuck do you mine a dead star? Aren't those just a super dense lump of neutrons or something?

How do I make food magically digest and give me energy, but then disappear so that I don't make liquid or solid waste anymore?

Where can I get a spell that gives permanence to temporary objects, constructs, and summons?

Monster Chef from Undertale lets you make food that does just that. The first thing, I mean.

Space Station 13 has a mutation just for that.

Get perfect digestion

Thanks!

From which jump?

As my chains progress, I start looking for indirect and clandestine methods that my opponents can use to affect my jumper.
I also start taking drawbacks that change the scope of what fails the jump beyond just "death of jumper."

>As my chains progress, I start looking for indirect and clandestine methods that my opponents can use to affect my jumper.
And what, do you give them a stat sheet so they immediately know to use such methods?

Steel Bladder from Sims 3

I'm amazed at how many people haven't heard about this perk yet.

Is there anything else like this perk in Jorge Joestar which improves your keikaku powers in ways other than just straight-up making you a better keikaku'er?

>Across All of Time and Space: ...Such a grand plan may take a while to come together but you’ll find that just spending time on your plans will slowly make them better and better. You’re brilliant with strategy even at a base level but by continuing to work on a plan, you are guaranteed to improve it in ways you may not have ordinarily thought of, adjusting and streamlining. Not everything is possible but if you have enough time, most things will be one day.

Since canon ones are boring, tell me about your favorite OC companion.

>what is the alt-chain builder?

Would a Solar exalt be able to make a charm similar to Sunlight Spear from Dark Souls?

OC companions are boring.

What's that line about
>You have a feeling that one of these gifts is unfinished, and may complete itself in future…
It's in both the Fallen London and Sunless Sea jump, but I've got no idea which of the gifts it refers to or how they could complete themselves.

Probably. There is probably a charm for it already.
That said, is there some special property it has you are looking to reproduce. I thought it was just a straightforward ranged attack.

Any of the Batman jumps. Cowboy Bebop, maybe?

From my last chain? It's a tie between Golden Fist of Iron and Diend.

Iron was interesting since she was a look at a Solar who had the drive and motivation to be an epic heroine, but without any actual interest in ruling Creation or any delusions about how screwed up Creation itself really was. Jumpchain was more of a home to her than the world of her origin.

Then we have Diend, the Girl Who Stole The Stars. She's everything the Jumper wasn't - charming, adventurous, free-spirited...along with things like chaotic, impulsive, and a bit of a kleptomaniac. I've stated before Diend deserves her own chain, though I feel like it adds more charm to her character if some questions remain unanswered. I might revisit the idea at some point? Probably not, though.

I actually typed up a very scathing response. Then I decided that you might have actually been curious.

When you become aware of a threat, only an idiot would throw everything at it without testing its defenses and responses. You deploy intelligence assets, you make probes and feints. You use disposable assets and pawns that aren't linked to you.

It's not actually that hard to come to a conclusion that you either can't break the defenses, or that it would be too costly for the benefits. At that point you go for less direct methods. Infiltration, kidnapping, coercion, bribery... Assassination of either the main person or those close to them.
Public relations, legal efforts, embargoes...

At a certain point in your efforts against them, you stop looking at Jumper-as-individual and begin escalating to Jumper-as-Sovereign Nation.

Nope, I just want to throw crackling spears of vaguely sun related energy at people.

Light of Eden (800CP) from EVO: Search for Eden can do this. It cures madness, corruption, possession and grants inner peace.

DS spear attacks have the special property of being heavily anti-dragon, shattering the solid stone scales of immortality and making it possible to kill eternal dragons. That's about it though, and other sufficiently powerful abilities like flame sorcery, seath's soul sorcery, well-wielded Darkness, and whatever Nito can do also can break scales and kill dragons, they're just way worse at it.

The miracle will be available in the DS1 Jump if you don't mind it take a long time. It's gonna be one of the upper tier purchases for Sun Bros.

What settings other than Dark Souls have humans that are secretly eldritch abominations or at least the children/spawn of them?

NGE.

All life on Lovecraft Earth is supposed to be descended. from shoggoths.

>upper tier
M8 you couldn't even hit a rabbit with it.

Meta Nerfs should be a drawback.

Ok, I'm not finding that in the mutations list for Space Station 13. There's one that makes breathing pointless, and one that lets you digest anything, but not one that magically makes you poopless.

The 18th are watching you, user.

You know the number of origins you are planning leads me to think any build is going to be watered down do to things they need to be effective being spread around between various origins at various price points.

Having one miracle as on it's own as a high cost purchase seems to support that theory.

Well... he's only been around for a few jumps, but I picked up a mad scientist in Showa Kamen Rider P1 called Monsieur Marionette. He started out as a hothead straight outta college who just wants to make cool monsters and... well, he hasn't changed at all. He's not really one for hurting others for the sake of doing so and he doesn't have the grand aspirations of world conquering that my background-self did in that jump but he's still utterly amoral beyond his loyalty to me. Think Desty Nova if he hadn't gotten into philosophy. One of my chain's big gimmicks right now is meeting up with my alternate selves, and he either absolutely despises them or absolutely adores them, lets them take his part in the operation of my evil enterprises, and turns them into Dark Riders near-immediately, depending on how much their morality diverges from mine.

There's also Majordomo Mephisto who's an idol I picked up in Death Note but he has had basically 0 screen time since then so there's nothing for me to tell you about him just yet.

That one looks ambiguous- does it make you "hold it" forever or does it actually handwave the need away entirely?

>and one that lets you digest anything

That's the one I'm talking about. It pretty much annihilates EVERYTHING you consume before making sure you benefit from the nutrition, and there's nothing left to excrete whatsoever.

That already exists. The simply-named Spirit Weapons charm lets you make throwing weapons out of solar essence (the melee version gets the much cooler name of Glorious Solar Saber). Then just enhance with other Throwing charms as needed to get the level of power you want. I recommend Cascade of Cutting Terror to turn one thrown weapon into an entire barrage, or Maelstrom of Celestial Dominance to power it up into an artillery-class blast. Or both, to fire lots of artillery blasts.

Ah, nice. I suppose it could stack well with super cooking perks, so in a pinch I could make gourmet concrete soup or something.

Or, or, or. You could just learn it in-setting instead of paying a capstone for it. Might not be easy for most, but a jumper could do it.

It's not so much a special property of the spears as it is just that dragons are weak asf to lightning.

Only one is a mistress from the Overlord games this chain. Initial idea was to make her like Major Dr. Ghastly but it ended up somewhere else.

Dark hair, grey/silver eyes and busty for a femme fatale sort of look. Enthusiastic and dedicated but entirely amoral with a croaky voice to better make snarky comments. Generally a bad influence and as tends to be specced towards fighting and subterfuge to complement my magic sciencey stuff.

She's called Ramona as it means protecting hands and stopping me from getting killed is her main job.

But that's not the same, I don't think. A bolt of sunlightning is way color than a glowing hardlight spear.

A Series of Minor Adjustments from Noblesse could probably help.

Your Spirit Weapons can look like whatever you want, so long as it's within Solar aesthetics. And Solar aesthetics include golden lightning.

Do we have any D&D jumps that can take place in 5e?

No, thankfully.

Ok, Acheld, maker of
Master of Magic and
Quest for Glory
showed back up on Veeky Forums, and said doesn't really come here anymore, but if you want to ask questions, put his name in your post and hell take a look.

Myself, I was wanting him to update the MoM jump so things that are possible in the setting are actually possible in the jump.
>But, regardless, it was never intended to be a perfect simulation of the game; sometimes you have to "translate" things slightly into a form that will work.
Yes, but you are translating things in a way insistent with the setting.

That's why I'm asking for a Make your own build option because you really messed with the prices to pigeon hole them into 100/200/400/600 CP brackets.
And being able to learn spells from spellbook need to be a actual thing. You made up these 'Links' that are not part of the setting, it seems entirely to prevent you from teaching others your magic.

They take place in D&D, which can be whatever mish mash of whatever versions you decide to wank.

You could run Forgotten Realms as 5e. The only people who'd give a shit are shitposters and autists anyways.

This isn't playing off of the game mechanics, it's working off how you would think it to work. You're gonna be manually throwing this thing, accuracy is on you.

Sunlight Spear is a miracle born from Lord Gwyn's soul and feats, it's one of the most powerful miracles in the game and lore. The purchase lets you teach it to other people as well, I'm not nickel and diming people and stretching things so thing nobody has anything.

Origins that have some form of proxy in the new Jump like the Warriors of Sunlight that are getting stuff from the original are getting more than they had before. Nothing is getting watered down, origins are getting properly represented or they wouldn't be in the Jump.

Reserve judgement until it gets done.

Sure, I recommend that type of thing often when it comes to things in a Jump. I like people going and getting things on their own merit. If I'm putting a price on it though, it's going to be an appropriate one.

Mate, he's not gonna change it. In the past, he's shown he has an immovable vision for jumpchain and how jumps should work, canon be damned. He's been shown before that his jumps don't work canonically and simply doesn't care, so don't waste your time.

I'm sorry, but I won't be doing that. The MoM jump was well received, successful, did what I set out to do with it, and captured the flavor of the setting even if it did not faithfully replicate every mechanic of the videogame (and what jumpchain does that, exactly?).

If I do more with jumpchain, the first thing will be to finish the Quest for Glory jumps, which are still on my to-do.

>name in your post
That was a temporary offer, to be clear. I'm not going to be checking here daily.

I literally don't know what you're talking about, but alright.

I would be overjoyed if Acheld were to update Master of Magic to allow for setting possibilities to be achieved.

I think the Forgotten Realms jump says that it's based on a specific edition's game mechanics. And questions have been asked about the other settings' jumps and they're apparently system-specific too.

Are there any jumps that give a law enforcement agency, hero agency, or something similar?

No, it captures the flavor of your non-existent OC setting.

>From which jump?

>Needing perks for that

Just get evolution

Because literally nobody, at the time, knew shit about the actual game the jump was made for, and let it coast by without scrutiny.

>I would be overjoyed if Acheld were to update Master of Magic to allow for setting possibilities to be achieved.
I don't know what this means.

If you say so. I was quite pleased with the reception at the time, and I felt it captured it.

You can consider yourself to have my permission, to whatever extent that is relevant, to have a go at it. I'm no longer interested in that project.

Could ultimate lifeform's Understanding be used to retroactively copy powers you observed from previous jumps (in particular if you already had a perfect memory at the time)?

>The purchase lets you teach it to other people as well

Nice, my favorite part of the intro cinematic in Dark Souls was when Gwyn and his Knights lob a volley of Sunlight spears at the dragons. What's yours?

I was disappointed when none of the regular Knights ever use the spear miracle and instead rely on their gigantic bows to ruin your day.

So, Indescribable Horror in Tyranids says that any fear I cause will affect people no matter what "unnatural drugs or magics lay on (his) mind". But it also says that it's a psychic effect. So is it a psychic effect that can penetrate telepathic defenses, or is it just one that should the defenses not block it can inflict terror even if the target's been altered to be immune to fear? If it's the latter, what perks are there for penetrating telepathic defenses to make sure some mind-blanked punk can't no-sell my fear aura?

>You can consider yourself to have my permission, to whatever extent that is relevant, to have a go at it.
Don't be silly, he's here to bitch, not to contribute.

Ruling was no.

>Universal Drawback Supplement

Never heard of this. Link?

My favorite part of the opening cinematic was definitely Nito waddling around with his big bone sword in hand and making Eternal Stone Dragons into Eternal Sand Dragons.

So do you agree with this statement?

>archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/54184645/#54189395

You're not a fan, right?

They're both on the Drive, under the Supplements folder.

Well that doesn't look too good now does it?

Would Danganronpa be a good Jump?

Yes

>archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/54184645/#54189395
I'm not sure if you actually read the jump thoroughly, but it is specifically stated that you can learn spells beyond the number naturally imbued by the links that you start with. Page 17, mid-down, says that you can learn spells from other wizards outside of the ones you "inherently" learn from your links.

It is true that you can't increase your number of Links beyond the ones you start with, though. The analogy here would be that you can't find new spellbooks in caves. And that's for purposes of balance and actually giving you *hard* decisions, without which any jump is garbage. I have no desire to create a jump where any user can go in and say "and then I find all the spellbooks!", whether or not it fits in with your adolescent remembrances of the game. I'm not reprogramming the 1994 classic of my childhood, I am creating a projection of it onto a different canvas.

If you want a perfect recreation of the game, *do it yourself*, and stop making me wonder why I bothered coming back to this thread. It's hardly fair to most of the anons here.