I've been gaming for over 30 years now and it's STILL a sausage-fest

I've been gaming for over 30 years now and it's STILL a sausage-fest.

Why is that?

How do we encourage more women into gaming?

Did White Wolf have the right idea by making the writing address them?

More cute anime boys.

>Why is that?
Men are more into gaming and always have been.
>How do we encourage more women into gaming?
By inviting those who are inclined toward it to play.
>Did White Wolf have the right idea by making the writing address them?
No, White Wolf was mostly down to emo nu-males if you actually came to the tables back when they were big. (and they were still only a fraction of a fraction of the sales of D&D et al)
Only their LARPer contingent had more than the average amount of women, for obvious reasons.

The same reasons you don't find guys in salons getting their nails done or that shit. Most guys don't even consider it a hobby and I find that many women think that about this.

On a more scientific basis it is found that even from birth women are more likely to be interested in people while men in items. In a hobby that revolves around being a lonely nerd collecting little figures and crawling through books, biologically there is a divide too.

Also fucking namefag.

For the sake of discussion what are the obvious reasons?

BOY DO I HATE WOMEN

It's a social hobby. The most effective way is to invite women to play in your groups and encourage them to run groups on their own, and welcome them into spaces where groups are formed. That also means don't be weird fucks towards them.

The streaming era is helping to give the hobby more mainstream exposure but the excuse we ALWAYS see is "I want to run [x] but I've never played what do?" so imagine being in that person's shoes and now you have tits and don't know anyone else who's played and if you ask guys to play with you they think you're hitting on them.

honestly.

robot sex dolls.

women are turned off becuase they have to hang out with a bunch of greasey men who lust after her breasts.

though given this may be more of a mind set issue than an actual issue when confronted with said greasey men.

>On a more scientific basis it is found that even from birth women are more likely to be interested in people while men in items
>scientific
You are hereby banned from using that word.

LARPing, like convention-goers, mostly comes down to socializing and theatrics, or what channers would term attention whoring, which appeals to a greater amount of women than gaming does.

In a study led by scientists in sterile conditions a conclusion was found that even directly after birth female babies responded more to faces and male babies to mechanical objects.

What about RPGs which can pretty explicitly be about dealing with people?

Why would you WANT women? Haven't you seen what they did to comics and gaming? It's exactly the same shit, women will whine and complain until their white knights mobilize themselves and transform the hobby in something that's not only unrecognizable, but downright insults the original fanbase.

What a horribly person, bringing "facts" and "biology" into an ideological discussion!

Ive been driving my car for 7 years and there still isn't very much sand in my it's oil line.

Why is that?

How do I add more sand to my oil line?

Did my redneck cousin have the right idea my doing donuts at the beech with his oil cap removed and the hood open?

Yeah, noticing and not denying observable reality really amounts to hatred.
Also telling anorexics they're not fat and telling trannies they're the sex they were born into are hate crimes only white male nazis would resort to and should lead to prison time.

I mean, does it matter?

>What about RPGs which can pretty explicitly be about dealing with people?
English motherfucker, do you speak it?

dont reply to this agit prop shit. op you won't find a girlfriend this way.

This.

Honestly, any group composed of guys who know how to bathe and talk to other people is gonna be more accessible to women that a group composed of socially awkward grognards.

What part of my post did you not understand?

The syntax mainly.

RPGs can primarily be a social hobby depending on how you play them so user's example doesn't really hold up unless you're exclusively talking about wargames.

I'm not playing RPGs but I can tell about things I have noticed playing mtg and warhammer
>Why is that?
Women like to think about themselves as social-victims. I have draw something like 6 females into the hobby and it was always the same story
>But user, I can't play it
>Then learn the rules
*learning the rules*
>But user, I'm scared playing with other people, they are all so good!
>Then play with newbies
*few intro games later*
>user, I know how to play this game now but non-newbie players will wreck my shit
>We all started by losing some games
*few losed but also few won games with friendly veterans*
>Huh, you were right user, it's not actually this bad
Every fuckin time. Women are just not willing to jump into the hobby that require some practice and experience gaining. If something is an "easy to start but hard to master" hobby then you can be sure that females will be 5% of the community at best
Sadly by treating them like young scared kids that need to be handholded. I have met only a one girl in my life that jumped into the hobby by herself.
>Did White Wolf have the right idea by making the writing address them?
Have no idea

Women in general are less into
1.formal system learning and mastery (a major component of games)
2.fantasy settings and the imaginative exploration of them. Women's fiction is almost always realistic or a "the normal world but x" instead of full blow fantasy/scifi. I'm not sure why this is, but its the case.
3.pursing things like destroying threats and become more powerful and skilled instead of navigating social ladders
4.niche interests
5.active media

Yes, thank you for clarifying, I was referring solely to wargames, I should have made that clearer. In regards to P&P games the only explanation is that of stigma as well as a vast number of neckbeards being both socially awkward and perverted.

These are thing I had noticed too and often wonder why, are there any studies? Recent or otherwise?

>What a horribly person, bringing "facts" and "biology" into an ideological discussion!

Sample size = 1

"We played hundreds of hours of kick-in-the-door OSR where we did nothing but kill orcs and all the women quit...obviously women just don't like rpgs"

It's obvious to anyone who actually talks to women regularly that women are super super super gay for roleplaying and many actively look forward to combat, they're just not (typically) as invested in pure kill'n'loot grind that D&D used to be and often still is in all-dude parties. You also won't usually find stray women at FLGS because it's usually pretty gross in there, on many levels.

The net is flooded with girls playing roleplaying games, and there's no end to titles that have been outright designed by women

Depends on the location. There is a community in north cali that is 1 to 4 female to male. One community in eastern WA was 16 women to 5 guys. Where I live now in seattle, its more like 1 girl to 10 guys, at best.

Gygax by no means played only dungeon crawls and more importantly he was head of TSR when D&D was the biggest roleplaying game in the hobby by several orders of magnitude.
No RPG since then has gotten even close to the mainstream marketshare D&D had, when it was still being stocked and sold at Walmart.
>The net is flooded with girls playing roleplaying games
Nah, a good half of those are men pretending and mentally-ill trannies. Even if you hang out on the worst of the worst like RPG.net you'll find that real women are a real rarity.

>Why is that?
Why do you care? Women are fucking awful to play with.... And I'm not just saying that because I hate women: I hate women because I've spent my life surrounded by women, they're the worst gender, you should be thankful.
The vast majority of women are dumb and lazy; they don't like to do anything remotely difficult, new, or challenging. They don't find conflict or confrontation "fun", so they won't fucking do anything interesting and it's the reason there's millions of them playing terrible iphone games and it's the reason why the woman's washroom is always dirtier than the men's.

If women aren't interested in table top games there's absolutely nothing you can do to market further to them without drastically changing how the game already is.
It's like asking, "How can we market milk to lactose intolerant people?" You can start selling almond or soy milk, but to do so would take away from the time and resources you're using to produce ordinary milk for people who already drink it.

My tabletop group is half women. I threw out the question to my circle of friends about helping test my homebrew, and two girls took me up on it. Maybe I'm the fortunate minority, but it's worked swimmingly.

This. Women aren't disinterested in RPGs, they're disinterested in games where you just roll dice over and over and watch your stats increase.

The last game I played was an RP heavy text game over discord where two of the three players were women and they knocked it out of the park every session. The only reason one of them didn't stick around once that campaign was over and we moved on to a new thing was because her school schedule was too demanding.

>2017
>"Girls don't use the internet"

>On a more scientific basis it is found that even from birth women are more likely to be interested in people while men in items.
So we need a RPG where the players go around collecting people?

Stats are an important part of rpgs, whether you like it or not.
It's what differentiates rpgs from rps.
>women are more interested in the rp element
yeah, that's what's everyone has been saying the whole time: women like the social component more and the game component less
So I guess you'd get more women involved if you dump the 'numbers and stats' and make it a pure Role Play.

>Girls
Women use the internet.
They're however not a significant part of the tabletop RPG community and they're positively a negligible minority on RPG.net where the pseudo-human people there pride themselves on their humping of womyn/LBG/tranny "issues".

>They don't find conflict or confrontation "fun", so they won't fucking do anything interesting
How does this correlate with women's restroom's being dirtier?

>You can start selling almond or soy milk, but to do so would take away from the time and resources you're using to produce ordinary milk for people who already drink it.
Tell me about the shortage of regular milk that's resulted from selling almond and soy milk

Because women lack the mental stamina to handle the "complex" mechanics. They can understand it initially, but over time they get bored, because their brains do not enjoy crunch. That's the same reason there are less women in math and science.

They also don't enjoy sharing the spotlight with other players, because they are naturally attention whores. The same reason there are fewer women that are esteemed diplomats and social leaders.

And most importantly, because they lack imagination. You can't describe a scene to a woman, and have her imagination run away with it, creating an image of a fantastic world. The same reason there are fewer female authors of fiction.

They are bad at creating table talk and jokes. They want to gossip, or talk about trite, which doesn't work well in terms of keeping a game moving and creating a fun environment. The same reason there are fewer female comedians.

I don't think this applies to ALL women, just the vast majority. And this doesn't make women garbage human beings, just worse human beings. How can we blame them? Men selectively bred them to be this way over thousands of years.

We had plenty of stats and rolling, the RP was just more front and center. Does focusing on the "RP" part of "RPG" make it any less of a game?

It's more fun to watch numbers change when there's a narrative and context for why they're changing. "Kick down the door and kill the orcs" games are boring as shit.

Wew lad

You suck at having female friends I guess.
I have played with plenty of women.
My next game is gonna be a male master two male players and two female players.

Just trying to keep it real dude. Life ain't fair or equal. That's why women screech so much about equity.

>Men selectively bred them to be this way over thousands of years.
So we can selectively breed women to become like the girls in our Javanese puppet theater? We can make all of them generally kind and pleasant with some of them being incredibly strong, incredibly intelligent, incredibly funny, incredibly industruous or any desired combination of the above?

What kind of Far Right party do I need to join to get my genetically engineered musclegirl who's also a CEO or esteemed politician and forces me to become her househusband?

R9K, leave.

RPG.net is a breeding ground for shit players regardless of gender.

>They're however not a significant part of the tabletop RPG community
Yeah, that's what OP wants to address, and the way to do it in my experience is run more rules light games and don't invite creeps to the table.

>Why is that?
Many elements of the hobby inherently appeal more to men than to women.

There is a lot of cultural bias in the way boys and girls are raised which directs girls toward certain types of hobbies and interests, even if they would have otherwise had different interests if left to their own devices.

The hobby tends to attract men who are socially awkward and isolated, many of whom have poor social skills in general, and/or poor hygiene, which is often tolerated by other socially maladjusted men, but which other people are turned off by.

A lot of gamers are awkward, inappropriate, or creepy when interacting with girls. This makes girls who might have gotten involved in the hobby stay away. I personally knew several women who I met at my gaming club over the past few years who showed up wanting to play, but were so put off by the unwashed gamers or the creepy behavior of some players that they left, either right away or after a short while. Most never came back and probably wrote the hobby off entirely.

Don't be a weirdo in how you present yourself or act toward them. Don't associate with people who are that way.

Find women who are already interested in other nerdy things like video games, or introduce them to those things, and use that as a way of easing them into it.

Make it about the story, not about the mechanics. I have played with a few dozen female gamers, some of them very good. Not one of them cared about rules and crunch. They were interested in roleplaying, storytelling, and social interaction.

>Did White Wolf have the right idea
White Wolf pulls the emo/goth demographic, more or less regardless of gender. I think they pull more women because they are in that field, because they like the fashion element, and because White Wolf if very story based.

Yeah no. You literally have no numbers to back that shit up.

Do you think that most rpgs focus more on the stats or the rp because imo they have shifted their focus over the years from 'dungeon exploring' to 'storytelling'.
You can make a case for the early years of dnd that it was more of a 'roll character crawl dungeon' experience but can you say that this is still the case nowadays?

Because it's pure autism and most women don't have autism.

W E W
E
W

Trolling aside, isn't autism often defined as a hypermasculine brain? One that's overly dependent on logic and less capable of processing emotions?

I'd hate to see what a hyperfeminine brain would be like.

>You can't describe a scene to a woman, and have her imagination run away with it, creating an image of a fantastic world

In my experience, this one is highly untrue. It's always been the girls in my groups that ask for extra lore details, invest themselves in the worldbuilding and come to each new session having drawn simple art based on the previous one.

Why would you want to