My group is open to trying a system other than DnD, because 5e is starting to get old...

My group is open to trying a system other than DnD, because 5e is starting to get old. I'm a bit overwhelmed at all the available options.

What's your favorite nonDnD5e system and why? Where are some good system reviews?

>What's your favorite nonDnD5e system and why?
13th age or 4e for a distinctly different flavor of tolkeinesque fantasy. They're both more-or-less "DnD with most of the sacred cows dead" which makes them really accessible to newbies who've only ever played or even been exposed to 5e or 3.5, while still feeling like a distinct system.

Otherwise, Robin D. Law's dramasystem is a blast if you've got people who are really good at improv and roleplaying. Don't know that I'd necessarilly recommend it as it's very rules light and narrative and I feel like I only have as much fun as I do with it because I play with a bunch of theater majors, but I'd call it a favorite.

2nd Edition AD&D

What does your group want to play? More Fantasy Medieval, Modern Horror, Pulp, Super Heroes, Transhumanism In Space, etc?

I think one player is heavily biased towards fantasy settings, but that's about it.

Rules wise, I think we'd like something where a lot of min/maxing and char-op is possible, but combat is quick and doesn't drag.

Savage Worlds. Go crazy guns blazing without autistic detail of GURPS.

>shitposting department

Fixed your image for you.

4e then, but only if you can trust your players to actually pay attention to the game and know their own characters.

Savage Worlds has SOME char-op, though it's more customization than optimization really.

Seconding this. Savage Worlds is great.

GURPS.
Plenty things to do with it, does about anything well and shines when going for something akin to 80s/90s action movies.

GURPS is shit

your shit

I believe it's Steve Jackson's.

>>But combat is quick and doesn't drag
>4e

Ya dun goofed

My favourite system is Nobilis, but it's about playing as gods, so it might be a bit out there for your group.

Do you have an actual argument to make that doesn't ignore most of my post?

>combat is quick and doesn't drag
>GURPS

can we get that GURPS combat demo with Star Wars episode II?

>t. brainlet

GURPS is good shit. But I mostly enjoy it for its gunplay

>ctrl+f pathfinder
>0 results
You know Veeky Forums, sometimes you're actually pretty cool.

Gonna go with some darkhorses here

First, I really like Woodland Warriors which is like a Legally-Distinct Redwall RPG. Mechanics are a bit light and set, you get a species/race combo that put a bit more agency than a typical retroclone-inspired game, you get a campaign attached, and it's dead simple to learn.

Second, Ryuutama. It's Japanese, so follows the Japanese design tropes of being built around quick scenes for a consistantly fast pace. It's a fantasy setting, but though it does have warriors and mages and dragons and such it's bent much more to a classic JRPG or Ghibli-inspired fantasy setting. Finally, it's focused more on travelling rather than dungeon running, with classes focused not on how they can contribute to combat but how they can support a caravan.

(Really, a lot of Japanese tabletops would suit what you're looking for. But a lot are left untranslated or are only partially translated so they're hard to get into)

>ctrl+f pathfinder
>1 result
Fuck you Veeky Forums.

Ryuutama does not fulfill the charop criterion.

>I really like Woodland Warriors
I just looked this up and got insane nostalgia feels from all of my youth spent pouring over the Redwall series. Fuck, looks like they just got themselves a new customer.

Gurps is good. Use the Dungeon Fantasy books, and have a printout of the combat maneuver sheet, and you'll be good. Contrary to the memes, gurps combat is actually pretty quick. All the combatants tend to have very few HP, so every hit matters. One or two solid blows and most NPCs are going to be down for the count. Combat is also a lot deeper than what you're probably used to from D&D, with hit locations, techniques, schools, wounding, etc.

Bump

How is Fate?

Pretty good, very heavily abstracted mechanics though.

Numenera and Warhammer 40k rpg's are great. Both offer completely different experiences and don't believe the Veeky Forums anti-hype for Numa it's fantastic.

If they are Star Wars fans Saga edition is god tier of the Star Wars rpg's, but it might be too similar to DnD to be fun for them right now. I don't like the FFG Star Wars rpg's one bit.

If you like the Numenera system but not the setting they have it in a few flavors including generic cypher system rulebook just in case you want to make your own setting.

Here's someone who doesn't pay attention to the game or know his own character.

Legend of the Five Rings is a fun one, if you want to maintain the fantasy genre, but mix it up. There's a lot of social rules, which can make thing really interesting if your group is heavy into RP.

Count another vote for Savage Worlds. It's simple, can be used for anything from Indiana Jones to The Shadow: the RPG to Flash Gordon, but everything will feel like a pulp novel. Not that that's a bad thing.

Others may work, but they're really dependent on group tastes. World of Darkness is fun if everyone likes vampires, and Traveller is as close to a Firefly/Star Trek game as is playable (not much chance for minmaxing characters though). I've been running Shadowrun for my group for a while, so if your players really like detailed planning and dwarven hackers stealing paydata from a dragon, it might be worth checking out.

ICRPG, need a decent dm though.

Open Legend is great. It's a system-agnostic and lets you create pretty much any character you can think of. The rules are available for free on this website: www.openlegendrpg.com , but they're also printing a book.

How can a system be system agnostic? Am I misunderstanding this term?

Dark heresy is a great system and loads of fun if your players like or at least don't mind the setting

I think he meant setting-agnostic.

Fucking fuck, I need to go to sleep.

This, GURPS is the bomb and can do almost any setting quite well often times better than systems dedicated to said setting. Just start with GURPS lite, it's free and elegantly explains the basic rules without being to overwhelming.

Legend for fantasy, MnM 2e for everything else.

Seconding this. And combat is simple, yet satisfying if the GM is any good at describing combat.
I must say however, the rules are somewhat bent toward use of miniatures. You can do without them though, but it's a bit of extra work.

Although he did say non 5ed Pathfinder is still D&D more or less

Mutant Crawl Chronicles is a hysterical take on the D20 style RPGs. My character, Reed Shirut, died in the first round of combat, followed shortly by his brother Jerry Seinfeld, who was murdered by Reed's reanimated corpse.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, FFG's Star Wars line is hard to die in, but really gives the feel of playing a hero in the space opera. Also, anyone can get into it because it's star wars

>because 5e is starting to get old
You got me thinking what would DnD 6e look like?

probably an awful lot like 5e. Last time they tried to shake things up they got burned

4e is great if you don't treat it like it's D&D. It's for bombastic fantasy, for masked luchadors suplexing dragons and warriors screaming "Come at me, bro!" VERY heavy on character optimization. Search the archives for Touhoufag to read guides from someone who knows his shit.

Savage Worlds is great if you want bigger, faster, deadlier combat. Also the easiest system that handles swords vs guns reasonably well.

FATE should be mandatory for everyone to at least learn, for its character building and narrative system. Play is very group dependent, though. Some FATE settings have a skill that's essentially Batman's utility belt, where you pull out a gizmo and roll to see if it's useful or not, then make up what it's useful (or not) for. As awesome as that is, I'm sure you can think of some people who would shit up the group with a skill like that.

4e and Savage Worlds can be pirated (look up Da Archives), FATE is free.

I had a LOT of fun playing Big Eye, Small mouth. No regrets

Do they only offer their rules in website form?

I really like BESM second. It's like GURPS if GURPS wasn't totally fucking obsessed with pointless detail.

Strike!

It's like 4e but without the ever climbing bonuses and a d6 instead of a d20.

Has a nice amount of build complexity with Roles/Classes/Feats (especially if you brew some of your own) as well.

Not OP but what does Veeky Forums think of Ars Magica 5e?

It's quite a rules-heavy system, and it makes some unusual assumptions about your characters (namely that they spend most of their time working in the lab on long-term projects). That being said, I haven't seen a game that captures the classic wizard archetype better, and the setting is amazing. I'd definitely recommend giving it a look; I found it to be one of those systems that takes a lot of effort to learn, but is interesting and inspiring enough to make me want to put that effort in.

I'd offer up Shadowrun and WH40k rpg