How viable is the world of made in abyss as rpg setting?

How viable is the world of made in abyss as rpg setting?

Other urls found in this thread:

crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2017/03/26/made-in-abyss-explores-new-worlds-with-key-visual-preview-and-more
mangahere.co/manga/made_in_abyss/c001/
horriblesubs.info/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Extremely.

That image alone actually gave me some ideas for a future campaign, so what said

Or I could link to properly like I'm not an invalid

Entirely.
Just take an asian RPG like Ryuutama and ramp up the grim to max, with more focus on exploration and how goddamn horrifying-yet-interesting the local fauna and ecosystem is

Run it as an Old-school 6-level dungeon crawl with no magic classes. Each level has increasing dangers and increasingly powerful artefacts.

Characters customisation is less about lists of skills and abilities and more about clever role-play, recording discoveries and accumulating artefacts that become iconic to that character. It is also possible to gain permanent injuries, bodily transformations and maddness.

Random encounters are very important. They range from meeting friendly delvers or finding harmless and tasty creatures to meeting violent forging or desperate delvers or powerful aggressive creatures. The players have to be careful which routes they take, how long the tarry and when and were they set up camp.

Resource management is vital to play. Encumbrance is tracked as well as rations and the advancement of diseases. HP/Stamina management is importunate as well as charges on Artefacts.

And of course tracking the curse and throwing around damage and status effects when it's run into

This

Megadungeons are a classic setting type.

Could I get this at a higher resolution?

Until the players tunnel a way to the ocean and fill the goddamn thing.

Now underwater with mutated horrors of the DEEP.

Fear not sempais, I got it in color.

Nice, thanks!

Wait, this is from an anime? Which one?

a show called cammie the whammie tranny

Boku no Made in Abyss

This isn't /a/, fags. You can tell.

Created in Chasm

"Made in Abyss" but close enough, thanks.

crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2017/03/26/made-in-abyss-explores-new-worlds-with-key-visual-preview-and-more

Have a cute.

One of the people you're linking to does answer the question, despite prefacing it with "Boku no", which is plenty more than reasonable. What's less than reasonable is asking for source when the source is literally in the OP. It's right fucking there. Any ability to work something out should suffice, a reverse image search isn't even necessary.

>It's right fucking there.
To someone unfamiliar with this particular manga, OP's text just looks like bad syntax, eg "How viable is a world made of an abyss as an rpg setting" is how I interpreted it. So it really isn't there unless you already know it.

That is in fact a fair counterpoint, and I may simply be too used to parsing what idiots think passes for English. Carry on then.

Bonedude is a lich

Bonedaddy and his Byrgenwerth when

We are born of the Abyss, made men by the Abyss, undone by the Abyss. Fear the 7th layer.

Soon, fellow delver

I like the idea of the Curse as a "One Way Trip" motif for a straight dungeon delving campaign. But am unsure of how to do it mechanically, since in this series moving vertically up a few meters (like a staircase) triggers it which would be a pain in the ass to keep track of on the table. I'm thinking maybe making it only work at given "boundaries" between layers so you still can't go up a while level without getting fucked up but don't have to worry about a monster on a fucking hill being unassailable

So threads about Made in Abyss have been happening a bit lately, but what is it? Its cutesy at first glance, but seems to have something more in depth to it. What's it about? What's it like? I saw that it aired in Japan this month, is there anywhere I can watch it? Should I be asking /a/?

mangahere.co/manga/made_in_abyss/c001/

It's a manga about cave-diving into a giant hole in the ground filled with monsters, explorers who go in to find treasure while fending off the monsters, and a curse that fucks you up when you go up.
It's pretty damn good, and is about to start introducing the first super-explorer. The super-explorers all wonderful horrible people. Nothing nice ever happens when they're around.
You can get it off horriblesubs.info/ is the best quality currently available.

Metastability.

So get this, a while ago people found a gigantic pit in the middle of the ocean. It is the last great mystery in the world, so what do people do? They build a city around it and start delving into the shit.
When the first explorers return they report a supernatural effect on them when they ascended back up, the effects were worse the deeper you came back from, this came to be know as the Curse of the Abyss and it is an integral part of delver culture.
fast forward a century and so and we meet Riko, she's an orphan whos parents both died in the Abyss. (this is considered normal for delvers and it regarded as a great honour) Riko is training to be able to descend deep into the Abyss and it is the focus for her character. the story is incited when one day as she is delvering a few hundred meters down so encounters Reg, a humanoid robot and artifact of the Abyss. shortly after a team of delver return after months from deep within the lower layers, with them a letter from Riko's mother telling her that she is alive and waiting for her at the bottom.
So our story is both an exploration of the world for both the read and the characters as they descend into what is inevitably their deaths. I personally think it is best view as a Lovecraftian story where the descend to the bottom is analogies to a descend into madness as we see that all the characters that have made in close to the bottom are never the same afterwards.
all in all it is worth a read and with what is currently release you can blow through it is a hand full of afternoons.

Sounds pretty cool. Should I start with the manga or dive right into the anime?

Anime just started, So I would advise just read the manga (only 40 or so chapters out and release schedule is pretty slow) then go back and watch the anime if you liked it.

I started with the anime, it is wonderfully animated with fantastic sound design. However I quickly watched the 3 episodes that were out at the time and immediately picked up the manga, burning through that soon after. Personally I would say watch those 3 episodes as they cover the first little arc of the manga and after that you can decide if you want to trail blaze like I did or if you are willing to wait for a new episode each week. After completely what is released of the manga I can say that I will be watching the anime weekly so that I can see those beautiful vistas in animation and colour.

One more thing, the author is a pretty weird guy and at time that seeps into his work. Go into it with the knowledge that Japan is a different place to the West.

Either or. They're both good.

What? You guys don't normally punish unruly children with naked hanging? How do you expect them to learn anything?

It does bare mentioning at the very least. Some people get pretty wigged out at even the implication of children and nudity.

That's the big roadblock I have with recommending it to people. Like 90% of the nudity is completely incidental but it's still kids...

Doesn't help I'm in Texas. Really don't want to get a rep for something like that around here.

Most funny is that no one bats an eye at the horrible violence and cruelty inflicted onto the characters, the shear amount suffering of they go through is get little to no reaction, but the moment kids do anything its isnt 100% pure you get people in an uproar.

The funny thing is that it IS "pure"

The nudity is only in scenes where there is no lewd intent (other then Reg's flustered reactions) like little kids dressing each other's wounds or going for a swim in an underground pool with only other little kids around

Its not played up as titillating, its just kids doing normal things. all the lewd bits based around fluff and sniffing after all

alright so is this shit loli or furry cub shit or what?

The MCs are kids if that's what you're asking. There's no actual furries though.

read nigga read

thanks, this tells me nothing.
Is it sexualized at all? It looks cute as fuck, but is making me leery.

There are references to sex in the "characters stumbling into puberty-esq embarrassment" sense, but all actual nudity is asexual.

>alright so is this shit loli
Don't be rude to Riko. Just because she took a dump on the altar and is currently crashing the ancap mutant village's market for loli poop with her diarrhoea you shouldn't call her a shit loli.

On a serious note, I'm pretty sure the author is a lolicon, but the characters aren't really sexualized. There's multiple shots of them in various states of undress in non-sexual context, which might bother a lot of western readers, though (in Japan this wouldn't really be particularly noteworthy).

Piazo did something like this for their last Adventure Path before WOTC dumbshits kicked them off the magazines and D&D. My real question is how does breathable air get that deep, and how is it now all totally flooded?

The pit probably just keeps going. If they were on earth they'd be well through the crust and into the mantle by now.

But that doesn't answer either question. It's an ISLAND surrounded by OCEAN! A single tunnel in the wrong place, hell, a single fissure in the rock from the pressure of the water with time, and the fucking ocean is paying you a visit! With all the debris, all the way up to sea level, along with one HELL of a whirlpool!

The pressure and temperature would make it like trying to breathe in a paint oven. not to mention possible toxic fumes.

There's a whole bunch of force fields layering horizontally along the depth of the Abyss, which is what causes the Curse when you try to ascend too far.

The water goes somewhere, ostensibly. There are waterfalls all over the place and the 5th layer is an underground ocean so wide you can't see from end to end.

The air is probably maintained by the same mechanism that provides light in the deeper levels and causes the curse. The Abyss plays by it's own rules, otherwise it wouldn't exist in the first place.

Its a literal Pit of Hell, I wouldnt worry to much about it

V O I D

New chapter when?