media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UAGreyhawkInitiative.pdf

>5etools:
astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Alternate Trove:
dnd.rem.uz/5e D&D Books/

>Resources Pastebin:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Previous thread:
What's your opinion on the Compendium of Forgotten Secrets?

Other urls found in this thread:

lmgtfy.com/?q=Compendium of Forgotten Secrets
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Mmmm, this middle-of-the-night new thread will surely pick up quickly

Reminder that Eberron is objectively the best D&D setting.

>nearly evening in Australia

What did he mean by this, Veeky Forums?

>Australia mattering

What did he mean by this?

>Compendium of Forgotten Secrets
What the fuck is that and where I can find it?

Hey man, moot's gone. Australia is important again.

user you misspelled Greyhawk.

I'm making a half-orc paladin with the soldier background. What army could he have been a part of?

Seriously depends on setting. If you're going with the Forgotten Realms as a baseline, Cormyr's army is fine. They're supposed to be generic.

Special Forces, civilized people don't want ugly half breeds on the front lines, but will take advantage of their strength and ferocity for dangerous missions

>What the fuck is that and where I can find it?
>lmgtfy.com/?q=Compendium of Forgotten Secrets

Maybe something in Bolivia? The Optimates private forces would also be a pretty neat background. Worst case scenario, you could fall back to the Rebel Fleet if your GM is picky.

>What army could he have been a part of
How are we supposed to answer that when you didn't name the setting you're playing in?

How big is Eberron supposed to be? It looks tiny.

Are there any spells that deal with size aside from Enlarge/Reduce?

Sorry, I thought people usually assume Forgotten Realms unless told otherwise.

Deal with as in change? I don't think so.

Technically Polymorph, Animal Shapes, True Polymorph, and Shapechange "deal with size"

Fun spells for a level 8 tempest cleric?

Please Veeky Forums, sell me on a Sorcerous origin as the party's main source of damage. I'd normally choose Wild Magic for fun but the entire kit being at the whim of the DM is kinda fuck no.

It's smaller than Earth but still plenty big. I think it works out to be about 70% of Earth's size.

>Main source of damage
Shit, you fucked up. Sorcerer is the best support class in the game because they can twin concentration spells and subtle spell to prevent counterspells.

But the origin doesn't matter at all. If you can do UA, go with the 'revised favored soul' from the Revised Subclasses UA. You get access to the entire Cleric spell list, which is pretty good.

Call Lightning
Spirit Guardians
Call Lightning
Revivify
Call Lightning

C
A
L
L I G H T N I N G

Can Contact Other Plane contact a god?

Depends on what your DM says.

>accidentally gave my level 4 party a dwarven thrower

How fucked am I?

>accidentally

Things move fast as a DM. Gotta keep the pace.

They were looking through basically a lost and found box and they rolled a nat 20 on the investigation check so I thought oh what the hell and picked a magic item out of the book that didn't look obviously crazy but still cool at first glance.

I'll just nerf it after they actually attune to it. Shouldn't be too bad.

>they rolled a nat 20 on the investigation check
THIS DOESN'T MEAN ANYTHING YOU FUCKING FAGGOT KILL YOURSELF DIE

>nat 20 on the investigation check

That doesn't mean things magically spawn that wouldn't have been there, it just means they did a really good job searching (inb4 nat 20 on skill checks don't matter, in 5e the bonuses are so small the die roll is always the biggest part of the result)

My Arcana Cleric is getting really serious with another adventurer and might retire soon to settle down and start a family. What's a fun class to play for a successor character that has helpful party support and utility, but can also fight people and be tough? Is it just paladin or bust?

>Spirit Guardians
That actually good?

Even with trying to not break concentration?

are any of the AL adventures any good?

:^)

I know but I thought it'd be fun and that's more important than "NAT 20'S DON'T AUTO EQUAL SUCCESS!!!!" autism as long as you do it appropriately.

At this point I should mention none of them are actually dwarves, so originally I was planning on forgetting about that fact and letting the fighter have it anyways because he never gets cool items...but the rogue who uses a light rapier ended up taking it. So at this point unless I can find a way to get it into the fighter's hands I dunno what I'll do because the rogue is obsessed with magic items and will use it regardless of whether it fits his character or not.

And it was entirely plausible it could've been in there, they were in a dwarven city looking through a confiscated weapons box as part of a payment in advance.

It pretty much replaces your attack once you have it up, thanks to the dodge action.

Got my midnight tendies here ready to do some homebrew. Any requests?

What is the worst printed adventure you guys ever played? It doesn't have to be a hardcover or even WOTC. for me it was SALT-01 in adventurers league. It was just a long string of combats framed in a pretty messy story.

>I know but I thought it'd be fun
Now suffer the consequences.
Shit DM does a retarded thing and then runs here to ask advice on how to fix it without admitting that he fucked up. Classic.

But I have low dex so even with advantage i'd probably still fuck it up.

I plan on having Blackrazor and Dawnbringer in my game but I need a third legendary sword that fits a "twilight" theme.

What the fuck does Dex have to do with Spirit Guardians + Dodge?

Autistic idea. Denied.

Completely fucking wrong.

Sorry dude you can't get me down. Everyone had fun and they all said it was a cool session and now I'm relaxing while eating my favorite food and already excited about how the next one goes. I don't think I ever asked for help on how to fix it, either. :)

Sanctuary stacks with it

Isn't autism what this entire board is about though?

Dodging requires to make dex saving throws against their attack rolls (with disadvantage)

Excuse me?

Are you fucking retarded?

This passes the threshold.

Read the fucking book.

read the goddamn book

you make dexterity saving throws with advantage >????

That actually sounds really neat-o

Is there any official option for the ruathymbear forgotten realms
barbarians who don't just rage, they can also actually wildshape into grizzly bears?

YOU'RE FUCKING DODGING
READ THE BOOK NIGGER

?? ?

Your DM should kick you out of your game. You better not be DMing a game.

He just asked how fucked he was. You might want to get that stick out of your ass.

why does it say you make dex saving throws then

>1. Attacks against you have disadvantage.
>2. If something requires you make a Dex save, you have advantage.

I mean, it's right there in the text.

Is English not your native language, maybe you're having translation issues in your head.

Because you can still be hit by things that require Dex saves you ignorant cuck.

See
It gives you two separate benefits that relate to dodging.

kys

Kys

okay cool thanks for the help guys, I understand this better now

Just so you're 100%

Dodging plus in aoe of fireball?
>adv on Dex save.

Dodging plus someone tries to stab you
>dis on the attack roll.

>didn't look obviously crazy
>a +3 magic weapon that deals 1-2 extra damage dice on a ranged attack

nigga u dumb

Ah yes clearly you make a DC? Dex save in order to? When attacked with disadvantage.

Learn to fucking read

Has anyone run or played the final chapter of SKT?

The heroes seem massively overpowered to fight against the Dragon.

They get 5 Storm Giant allies and get to be basically giants.

Simple action economy is going to cuck the Dragon even if it has 400+ hp.

5e newbie here

Bounded accuracy:
>Ability (-1 to 5). - Every roll type
>Proficiency (0-6). - Every roll type
>Proficiency x2 (0-6). - Skills, a few other things
>Magic Item (0-3). - Attacks, AC

So,

>Ability checks are just -1 to +5
>Saves are -1 to +11
>Skills are -1 to +17
>Attacks are -1 to +14

Is that about right? I suppose there are also spells to factor in.

Why isn't everything on the same bonus scale?

Now that we have Volo's you can have a -2 intelligence orc, or a -2 strength kobold.

What?

fudge the rolls

Followup :

Doesn't having everything on different scales make it obnoxiously difficult to set the task dcs?

What about that post wasn't clear?

I'm skimming the PHB, looking for roll bonuses and seeing what sorts of modifier ranges are possible for different types of checks.

It seems like different types of checks are on drastically different difficulty scales in terms of chances of success, but the guidelines for setting dcs don't seem to account for that.

What am I missing?

>Doesn't having everything on different scales make it obnoxiously difficult to set the task dcs?
Only if you're autistic

So you can cast sanctuary and spirit guardians and then just move up to the front line and start dodging? My life cleric is only lvl 4 but my DM will Love this once I get lvl 5

I'm trying to use PCGen to roll up a 6th level Swashbuckler, but a) the class isn't there at all, and b) when I try to add a feat at 4th level, the only option it gives is Grappler. I can't seem to find any resources that will let me add the former or let me work around the latter. Suggestions?

Won't need to dodge if you cast sanctuary on yourself.

Just follow the tank around and throw out heals and buffs.

>not using dodge + sanctuary to become invincible

>PCGen
Use ForgedAnvil instead

RAW you have to cast Spirit Guardians first, as casting that spell with Sanctuary up will end Sanctuary. RAI, Spirit Guardians negates Sanctuary.

So......

Are you saying I'm missing nothing, ability checks are stupid difficult, and saves are much harder than skill checks?

This is a math question. Me having autism is not a math answer.

Are there bonuses I'm missing that put these things on the same number scale, or are different kinds of checks on drastically different difficulty scales, where dc 20 means 25% success for maxed ability checks, means 60% success for maxed saves, and means 95% success for maxed skills?

I thought part of Bounded accuracy was to try to put all the rolls on the same compressed number scale?

You would need to cast sanctuary after spirit guardians as long as spirit guardians doesn't attack anyone when you cast it

The "warping" is part of the game's intended math.
As opposed to for example 4e where most attacks vs. defences or AC are supposed to come out roughly 50/50 if all other things are equal.
In 5e, everyone is meant to hit more often with attacks and spells at higher levels.
It's most dramatic with spells because full casters can usually select spells that target a weak save; zero proficiency.
It's the same vs. AC, but less pronounced for various reasons.

There are many reasons, but two big ones are (1) it makes people feel like they're growing more competent as they gain levels and fight level-relevant challenges, since they're whiffing less - even if they're also being hit more, and (2) it makes the game's math much less fidgetty.

Normally, the value of each point of AC increases the bigger it is compared to enemy to-hit mod.
That means, against the same enemy, going from 4 AC to 10AC is worth almost nothing, compared to going from 14 AC to 20 AC, even if the difference is always a +6.
What this does is, if you might be matched against an enemy with a very high AC - even if it's only occasionally - then to-hit bonuses get absurdly valuable and make every other choice irrelevant in comparison.
Conversely, if you you have a very high AC and are able to stack AC bonuses, that's also the only thing you should care about doing (in terms of efficiency.)
Missing constantly also happens to be frustrating, and being missed a lot happens to be boring (because the enemy is unable to up the ante and keep the stakes high all the way through.)

One way to deal with this is to simply set AC values lower, but another way is to simply set the math up so that the "problem" is at its worst at level 1 (when people have little freedom to build and buy what they want), and then automatically improves from then on. This is the 5e approach.

So, at higher levels when PCs have an easier time finding ways to get bonuses, that's when bonuses are at their least valuable.

25%, 55%, 90%.

My bad.

>Doesn't having everything on different scales
No, because you're not supposed to do level scaling.
The numbers are set the way they are to ensure that you don't need to.
All you need to do is to look at the task and determine if it is an easy, moderate, hard, or incredibly hard task. That translates to DC 10, 15, 20, 25.
There is no need in 5e to work to negate the scaling of your PCs; just represent the world through your DMing and the game works.

>As opposed to for example 4e where most attacks vs. defences or AC are supposed to come out roughly 50/50 if all other things are equal.

Iirc it's supposed to be about 60%, not 50%. To keep things from getting too 'swing and miss'

You're pretty much right and the people calling you autistic are dumb because this can be a bi tof an issue.

A DC of 20 is said to be a 'hard task', but a Dex check with a DC of 20 is far more difficult than an Acrobatics check with a DC of 20.

I think you're confused about how these checks work. They're on different scales because they target different numbers. Attack roles target an enemy's Armor Class, saving throws target a DC set by the triggering effect, and ability checks target a DC set by the difficulty of what is being attempted.

Furthermore, ability checks and skill checks are the same thing. A skill check is just an ability check where a proficiency can be applied, so they use the same scale.

This isn't a question about levels though. They have nothing to do with what I'm trying to figure out.

This is a question about why, for a level 20 character, it seems ability checks are 35% more difficult than saves, and saves are in turn 35% more difficult than skill checks.

Thats what i dont understand.

If dc20 is supposed to bea certain difficulty, shouldn't it be the same chance of success for an expert regardless of whether that'd a DC 20 skill check, save, or other type of check?

I thought they were trying to undo how in 3.5 skills typically scaled to +25, and saves only scaled to +17.

See

An ability check cannot have proficiency or expertise applied, and therefore your best odds of success are much much lower for the same dc.

>An ability check cannot have proficiency or expertise applied
Yes they can, it's called applying a skill proficiency. All skill checks are ability checks. Only some ability checks are also skill checks. You're confusing squares and rectangles here.

Yeah but my point was more about the comparison between an ability check and a skill check.

Say that you've got a level 20 Rogue with proficiency in Acrobatics.

Say that he's getting chased by a dragon and running down a steep slope littered with fallen branches, uneven terrain, the occasional pitfall and stuff like that. In this kind of situation, the DM might call for a DC 20 Acrobatics check. Since he's got 20 DEX and +6 proficiency bonus, he gets +11 to the Acrobatics check, meaning he needs to roll a 9 or higher to succeed this 'Hard' task, giving him a 55% chance of success.

However, a different DM might make him do a Dexterity check instead, because his way of thinking is slightly different than the previous DM. He'll give it the same DC, since it's still a 'Hard' task, but instead of getting a +11 the same Rogue gets only a +5. Now, he has to roll a 15 or higher to succeed, so it's only a 25% chance of success.

>However, a different DM might make him do a Dexterity check instead, because his way of thinking is slightly different than the previous DM.
This DM is retarded. The system is fine.

A DC 20 ability check that is not a skill check is never more than 30% odds of success, because your bonus caps out at +5.

A DC 20 ability check that is also a skill check is is never more than 90% odds of success because your bonus caps outta +17.

How can you argue that 70% chance of failure and 10% chance of failure are the same?

>How can you argue that 70% chance of failure and 10% chance of failure are the same?
Because one of those checks applies your proficiency in a skill and the other doesn't. Why the fuck WOULD they be the same?

>Use ForgedAnvil instead
>Doesn't work with Openoffice
>Creator refuses to update accordingly

Why do people insist on suggesting this?