ITT: Small events in a D&D city to challenge a paladin

ITT: Small events in a D&D city to challenge a paladin

hookers

OP here.

Fuckin' hell m8. Good one.

I always think a Jean Valjean sort of situation is a classic for a reason. Someone who isn't an evil person who committed a small crime out of desperation being put before the Paladin for judgement and justice.

Depends on the setting.

content people going about their lives who don't want any meddling from outside

A street urchin steals bread from a poor shopkeeper.
A woman abused by her husband pleads with the 'knight' to slay the drunken man, and offers gold. He has a different story. There's no proof either way.
A quack doctor is selling 'medicine' on a street corner/priest is selling forgiveness. There's a large crowd of people who have hope in their eyes, who would be horrified if the paladin muscled his way onstage
The local elves live in a slum and are abused, but also act haughty and sell their merchandise at a higher price.
There's no toilet paper in the stall next to the one the paladin went in, and there's someone in there. Talking to him would break the bro code.

If using alignment, a LN follower of his LG god (or even a LE follower if he's LG following a LN god) can always make for good, small ideological issues.

Does he prioritize the law aspect or the good aspect and all that.

Also, your paladin is a good guy right?
Thats means he is probably against corruption, so bribing guards and such for info is a no no.
Possibly even include characters talking about the local church having an influx of refugees that need healing. Paladin should obviously hear this and offer to help right? And then do some shit

A local has incorporated iconography of a foreign/tribalist religion in their home shrine, although they still pray to the paladin's God(s). This is done not as an act of willful apostasy, but due to poor education/being to poor to afford statues of the reigning God/because they thought it looked nice. The person is kind and helpful, but the paladin just notices the Shrine with a glance after being invited into their home.

Got one. Off the top of my head.

>Somebody is stealing bodies, hence desecration is a crime.

>Hiring thieves and thugs, who also seem to find live bodies to steal (usually those with bad diseases or known criminals).

>Much investigating later it turns out the one incharge of Body Snatching is Da Vinci type genius whose building the science of anatomy and using the knowledge to heal the sick cheaply without magic. Not only that his knowledge extends to art, engineering and chemistry, knowledge which would benefit many and improve the world. But to do so meant he broke both Crown and Religious law meaning even if the Paladin turned him in the Da Vinci would be tortured and burnt at the stake.

>This leaves Paladin with choice either let a murderer, thief and blasphemer go for the better of all, or condemn the sinner to the law of crown and church to the detriment of all.

>Me as a GM considering my group I'd just let the question hang instead of leading to a fall. I'd also milk the angst of the paladin player to make that decision make them question their choice and life.

My group tend to roleplay well so this works but admit this would probably not work on a retard. If you got a good group go for it.

>passive aggressive non-answer

Oh no, OP offended your miserable sensibilities, and now you need to shitpost oh no.

Not really. It depends what paladins can do in the setting. And how they are in the setting.

>uhh, i need to state obvious, inconsequential dependencies

You're an idiot.
Might as well spam "Depends on my opinions".

OP here.

If it was setting-specific paladin, I'd say so. When you say "paladin" everyone knows you mean LG divine smiter.

Redeem the succubus

Inserting economics into the church of his god could be good too. Stuff like financial offerings not strictly being mandatory when people need healing, but the ones that do getting priority. Higher ranked priests being completely respectable and devout followers of their god, but so happening to be descendants of a rich, noble family, because of the sheer amount of financial support their family gives.

Things that are in an ideological grey zone and not exactly wrong, but pragmatically happen "for the greater good".

A wandering preacher of your god has started spouting lines that contradict the teachings.
Nothing he says is inherently bad, just different and goes directly against the church.
When confronted, he relishes the chance to have a meaningful debate with someone who is from the more traditional arm of the faith, but isn't locked up in some chapel somewhere with no connection to the world.

There's talk that a local priest has been involved in necromancy. They say he was seen skulking around the graveyard, near the catacombs used to get rid of the bodies of beggars and poor folk too poor to pay for their last rites before death. (Let's just say, this religion involves that your last rites must be taken before you die, not after you die.)
The priest gets arrested right when the paladin passes by, and he screams how he used his necromancy to resurrect the poor folk to give them their last rites and then dispel them. How it's a sin to leave the poors souls to linger on Earth because they cannot pay for their last rites, that the church has gone corrupt and how the Arch Bishop in the capital should know what's going on here in the hinterlands...

You might want to make up a more suitable name for the "last rites" ritual, because how I used it in this post is a bit confusing.

5E here, CG Vengeance Paladin and NG Oath of the Ancients Paladin says hi.

Aut_ism says hi too.

>Talking to him would break the bro code.
The Bro code allows exceptions for poop wiping brother, you're thinking of urinals

>A small group of well-meaning paladins begin fighting evil and injustice at a societal level, insisting that social injustice is just as bad as actual acts of evil

>They begin to infiltrate other organizations, acquiring more influence slowly over time

>They are brought into conflict with more traditional paladins when some of them begin to advocate and instigate violence against the ruling powers, whether or not they are actually corrupt

RoleMaster doesn't do alignments the same way...

Pelor is a very progressive God user. Carry on the God's work.

A paladin is bound to his or his order's/divine code of law. Not a king's or land's. His way is above those of fickle men.

I wish that a paladin would come along and resolve your dispute with two well-timed smites

The answer to this dilemma is plain as day though.

If somebody was hurt by the disappearance of the bodies (like, if families of the deceased are in an uproar because their granpappy went missing and shit) the paladin can go to them and console them during their time of grief and heal them by giving them suitable compensation, such as money for the coffin of the deceased and a small sum for the body.

Are you just dumb?

On All Hallows Eve, shapeshifting demons infiltrate a large pub and begin making mischief. The paladin can only remove them by smiting with a nerf mallet, and the blessed ale gives him unlimited smites. Bonus points for two costumed teens who wanted to prank people near the outhouse and got caught up in everything.

Oh look I was right. It depends on the setting.

>dispute
One is mentioning the lack of information. The other is insulting the former. The former does not throw a bitchfit.
What a dispute! You can see the blood flowing!

I am going to be playing a Vampire Paladin in a game of Vampire: Dark Ages though, and I won't have any divine power or ability to smite.

>ITT: Small events in a D&D city to challenge a paladin
>D&D

Thank you for reinforcing the Vampire player stereotype.

A local transportation system

>the leaders of two temples within the city are locked in a seemingly inconsequential yet somehow all-important theological dispute. Are you a bad enough dude to resolve a schism before it can start?
>the bureaucracy has wildly expanded, passing many strange and restrictive laws on benign or merely annoying actions. Can you stop these madmen before the whole of the city learns to love flaunting the legal system?
>A once-dear comrade and fellow paladin has fallen into a slump. Drunken and indebted, can they be restored to their former glory?
>Due to a botched robbery at a major holy site, one of the many sellers of false relics in the city now has the genuine article. Sort through the lies before it's lost forever!