/ccg/ Custom Card General /cct/

Common edition! Can you make interesting commons?

>To make cards, download MSE for free from here:
magicseteditor.sourceforge.net/
>OR
>Mobile users might have an easier time signing up here:
mtg.design/

>Hi-Res MSE Templates
pastebin.com/Mph6u6WY

>Mechanics doc (For the making of color pie appropriate cards)
docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgaKCOzyqM48dFdKRXpxTDRJelRGWVZabFhUU0RMcEE

>Color Pie mechanics
magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/making-magic/mechanical-color-pie-2017-2017-06-05

>Read this before you post cards for the first time, or as a refresher for returning cardmakers
docs.google.com/document/d/1Jn1J1Mj-EvxMxca8aSRBDj766rSN8oSQgLMOXs10BUM

>Design articles by Wizards
pastebin.com/Ly8pw7BR

>Primer: NWO and Redflagging
mtgsalvation.com/forums/community-forums/creativity/custom-card-creation/578926-primer-nwo-redflagging

>Q: Can there be a sixth color?
A: pastebin.com/kNAgwj7i

>Q: What's the difference between multicolor and hybrid?
A: pastebin.com/yBnGki1C

>Q: What is precedence?
A: pastebin.com/pGxMLwc7

>Art sources
artstation.com/
drawcrowd.com/
fantasygallery.net/
grognard.booru.org/
fantasy-art-engine.tumblr.com/

>Stitch cards together with
old.photojoiner.net/

>/ccg/ sets (completed and in development)
pastebin.com/hsVAbnMj

OT:

Other urls found in this thread:

magiccards.info/query?q=r:common o:"~ from your graveyard to the battlefield"&v=card&s=issue
panick.deviantart.com/gallery/?catpath=/&edit=0&q=ghost
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Commons always feel like tricky design space to me, since I often end up giving them enough complexity that I have to move them to uncommon instead.

Hard to have a lot of interesting interactions when anything more than three lines seems a bit much.

Sorry, I'm no good at commons.

Unfortunately I think you picked a bad time to make a new thread, in the morning like this people are probably going to be busy until this evening.

I feel like just the recursion would make it uncommon. Could be wrong though.

A couple words were missing. "from your graveyard"
Skeletons are kind of known for recursion, aren't they?

>Skeletons are kind of known for recursion, aren't they?
That affects rarity how?
magiccards.info/query?q=r:common o:"~ from your graveyard to the battlefield"&v=card&s=issue

got a source on that image, user?

Here's the original. I looked for the page I pulled it from GameArtisans.org but it unfortunately looks like they're dead. Shame, they had some great stuff.

I was able to fine the artist's DA page, and he does have some other works for Ghost, but not this one.
panick.deviantart.com/gallery/?catpath=/&edit=0&q=ghost

Card seems rather strong for its effects, though it's also quite mana hungry and vulnerable to pings.

As for the tread timing, I concur. I'd post some stuff I was working on, but I'm on mobile for a while yet.

Slightly tweaked so the triggers are "target opponent" instead of "each opponent", but otherwise pretty similar to the last version.

Thanks for the feedback. And as far as mobile goes, I guess you could just use text, or MTG.Design.

And another one inspired by another Hasbro property. For the record, in FiM, Pegasi fly, Unicorns have magic, and Alicorns have both. So here, Flying represents, well, flying, and Hexproof represents magic.

The creature token needs a color specified, either white or blue or colorless.

Whoops. I was undecided on the color and forgot to fill it in. I guess I'll make it WU.

I was just giving examples to clarify what i was talking about. I'd say monowhite would be more fitting, or you could go full under-set and make it pink

I don't really think White creatures should normally have static Hexproof. As for pink, I was kinda avoiding going into Un territory, but I guess I might as well.

First draft of Remembrance cards, too bad I didn't come up with the keyword. Just throwing stuff at the wall to see what sticks.

White green might be better if you're worried about that, Those are the standard unicorn and Pegasus colors. Also, it matters a lot less when you have it as part of an artifact anyway.

So how is this guy as a custom commander? Broken? Jank?

Any way you'd make it better?

For the first, the Rememberance effect feels really expensive. Compared to the second card, you'll have to attack with the things you want to pump, have them survive, and then have a way to reliably kill the thing so you don't waste 5 mana because your opponent didn't kill it. Compare that to 1 mana for one counter and the second is much better.

I would say the second will have a harder time dying though, and would mainly be useful for discarding.

The Orzhov card really doesnt feel White at all, and could easily be monoblack. The cost itself seems fine, and the benefit is more universally useful compared to the first since it doesnt require as many things.

Linebreaker I really like, since it functions well as a card on its own even before Rememberance. It isn't centered around dying, but has a nice benefit if it does. I might say the numbers could be looked at, since a potential 3/1 with first strike and haste for 2 is quite scary. Perhaps consider making it a 1/2 and a +1/+0?

The blue seer is in a similat vein to the earlier druid. Decent effect, but will only end up in the grave if you go our of your way.

Something about the cost on the grovekeeper feels off to me, but I'm not sure what

The Knight seems fine, though not quite as interesting as the linebreaker.

This feels like the sort of mechanic that works well for on cards that will be attacking or blocking a lot. Their effects can give them value at that role, and that role makes them more likely to die and be used later.

>Ferocious Martyr
Still think it shold specify your creatures, since an opponent could exploit the death trigger with something simple like sorcery-speed removal.

>Vichehold Channeler
Eh, OK I guess. I suppose I just like seeing Remembrance used for static and triggered abilities more.

>Orzhova Insuramancer
Eh, not a fan. Just seems like extra value with no real utility.

>Linebreaker Battalion
Seems like a lot to go through for a relatively small buff.

>Tidepool Rippleseer
Same response as the G one.

>Vicehold Grovekeeper
This too.

>Havenpeak Guardsman
I'd rather it have a bit better body, maybe 2/3. This almost strikes me as something Wizards might make mythic. Just a feeling.

I think I'll just go all Un with it now. Pro changed to protect against villains on the show, but I'm honestly not that familiar with it so let me know if it should be changed.

What the fuck, personal howling mine times two with a scoop of card selection on top? I mean sure you'll mill yourself but with that level of card advantage you're winning before its a problem

I'm not saying it's completely out of the question though, it feels like the kind of eye catching pushed card wotc might actually put out

Weird card. Without playing it I'm not sure I like the mechanic. Seems fiddly and like the kind of thing you wouldn't want to care about.

Thanks for the in depth response guys, I guess I focused more on making them interesting than realizing the cards need to hit the graveyard often for maximum value, so activated abilitied shouldn't be as common as triggered or static ones.

>Linebreaker

The effect used to be a +1/+1 counter on each creature you control that attacked this turn when it died but I changed it just to try and make it a common rarity.

>Orzhova

I can see that, since it's just sign in blood stapled onto a creature.

>Linebreaker
I could look at the numbers, if the buff was +1/+0 and first strike you think the Remembrance cost could be reduced to 1RW?

And it's only supposed to provide a small buff, at least at that price. A one of buff later in the game after its served its usefulness

>Channeler and Rippleseer
I realize activated abilites sort of work against the nature of the mechanic since it means your creatures stay on the field and don't get remembered.

But what if it used the untap cost?

>Grovekeeper
It's supposed to be good value so I made it rare, seven mana for vigilance and a rampant growth seemed balanced to me.

I'll keep fiddling with this mechanic, I quite like it.

For the creatures that make mana: Maybe something that sacs itself for a ritual?
>R
>T, Sacrifice ~: Add RRR to your mana pool.
>Remembrance R
Or something.

I'm not even sure Grovekeeper is the best value. You have to pay so much for it that you'll never really attack with it. 1/4 with vigilance would be worth 3 mana at most. Then there's the fact that it's ramp that only happens on turn 6 or 7. If the tap effect was styled after Spellshapers and required a discard in exchange for being cheaper, that would help as well.

And of course, 7 mana to recur the effect is quite steep. Wait until turn 7 to cast a 2 mana ramp spell? For what reason?

I think a big problem is trying to make them have repeatable effects. Makes it all a lot harder to gauge

Males a good point, having it be a sac effect works well, since then the cost of the creature and recur effect can be more easily accounted for, and it actively feeds into recurring later.

Posted most of these before. People seemed to like Wakasagihime.

>And of course, 7 mana to recur the effect is quite steep. Wait until turn 7 to cast a 2 mana ramp spell? For what reason? I think a big problem is trying to make them have repeatable effects. Makes it all a lot harder to gauge

That is the problem yes, finding that place between a useful effect that's not overpowered when used twice, a creature body and the cost of both effects is difficult without any kind of playtesting

And I realize seven mana is a lot, but I'm just trying to balance the effects of the card. It's not supposed to be a ramp spell you cast from the graveyard, it's just supposed to be utility you have access to once it's gone. If you have nothing else to do on turn seven you can use it, but come later in the game and you don't have any cards you want to play, it's always there as an option. Still though I'll take all the advice I can get on these

>Discard as a cost

That's actually really good, and helps with Remembrace as well, but it might be to pushed if it were spread across across all colors like the spellshapers.

I'm even less sure of costs when it comes to things like this but something like pic related?

Thoughtbeast is a really cool idea

Yeah, discard costs work best when you tie them to things that more directly interact with card advantage, like draw and discard effects.

Oh hey, commons are my jam! This one's a bit pushed but I like it.

Remembrance wording needs a bit of cleanup, but this should be fine otherwise.

>Night
>Opal enchantment in black
I'm not too sure I'm into this, but in the right set, yeah, sure. In fact, I think it inspires me somewhat... I'll get back to that. I do love this mechanic though and I wish WotC would revisit it.
>Knowledge
I'm actually not that sure about this at common not because it's too complex but because it takes up a slot that could be used for something more necessary. Though I guess since it's a cantrip it lets you cycle through your deck a little so it's not all bad. Eh, I'm fine with it.
>Massage
Now this I would avoid at common because of complexity. Otherwise, seems like a fine uncommon to me.
>Genius
Not bad, but I think red gets bears now for 1R so this might fit.
>Cold
Probably about right, though I don't think anyone would play it since it's sorcery speed and they get one more use out of the land.
>Costs
I am not a fan of counterspells outside blue, sorry.
>Thoughtbeast
Nice card. I'm a big fan of Evoke so that helps.
>Weebahime
Decent card. Landfall decks would love it.

In the context of an Eldrazi tribal precon, how do these look?

The third ability doesnt seem to do much

If I could make a suggest in terms of Eldrazi commanders and issues with devoid, lands, and color identity, you could consider modeling them after The Reaper king. Castable with Colorless, but has all the mana symbols to cover the various spawn, including the old colored ones. Throw on devoid and it fits fine.

As for the cards themselves, I think the wording on Kozilek's spell prevention could be improved. Menace also feels odd here.

This seems rather overwhelming. An unconditional Exile is already rather strong, but also having the potential of getting a strong creature still worth that mana out of the deal? Even if you kill something small, it still has annihilator for a 2 for 1. More likely it's going to take out 3 or 4 things before going down.

Seems fine. 5 tokens for 7 mana. Might be a bit crazy since it lets you boost to 12, but that's not really new for Eldrazi.

The command zone ability here seems rather strong. It makes the cheap fodder tokens into huge threats that will be very hard to deal with.

The rest seems perfectly acceptable.

Strong, but also par for the course for Eldrazi. I might say to dial back the mill to 9, just so it totals 11.

Just put colored mana as a cost somewhere.

Art in use, Bane of Bala Ged. As for the abilities, I feel like it should be more than a slightly different version of Duplicant.

A near-reprint of Skittering Invasion? You have to be able to do better than that. Also, art in use, Swarm Surge.

I'm sorry, but none of these cards really set themselves up as being really different from things that already exist. This is just the new Emrakul with even more GoodStuff(TM) attached to it.

Art in use, Pathrazer of Ulamog, DCI printing.

That Ninjitsu cost seems far too cheap for 5 damage to the face.

You already had an unblocked attack, so it's really only +3 or +4 extra damage.

Pretty sure is just jank. Could possibly abuse etb effects.

Good for blocking.

Always liked this one. I wish I could design commons like this.

>Umbra Lizard
Eh, Umbra and Remembrance just feel like they're fighting for attention here. Even if you want to keep token production, I'd say just change the trigger, like say to combat damage on a player.

>Soultender of Havenspeak
Flash and Flying go on separate lines, the former above the latter, due to how they affect the card. Anyway, this one just feels like too much, mostly the recursion. But if you want to keep it, I'd strongly recommend upping the rarity, possibly even up to mythic, though that would likely call for pumping the body as well. Oh, and the ability should be
>If a creature card would be exiled from your graveyard, shuffle that card into your library instead.
Not only did you mix up triggered and replacement wording, you worded it like it was a spell here.

>Markov Shoulthrull
Untap? Ugh, no thanks.

Completely immune to removal? Eh, no thanks.

Decided to expand the scorpion's setup into a cycle while I was working through cards last night

Feels odd that that W and B get mileage out of being used multiple times a turn, but the others don't. And why is R not the same cost?

I wasn't sure on the costing on the draw effect, though I suppose it could be bumped up.

It's also not supposed to be the strictest cycle. More just one drops with a keyword that have another option if you are running multicolor

Thanks for the criticisms, this is all new ground balance wise, everything's a rough draft. I think I'll increase the Remembrance cost on the Soultender, the utility is supposed to be for other Remembrance cards so I wanted it to be cheap but one white was probably too cheap, maybe I could make it a 1/1 spirit for 1W instead of being a bear.

I really like the design on Refracting Scorpion, would really make people think about blockers since they'd have to open up multiple creatures to damage.

Plus I'd put it in an EDH deck and give it lifelink and indestructible and infect with a couple swords.

Apparently, real-life Egyptians would sometimes mummify crocodiles. So yeah.

I'm glad you like the Scorpion. It was the first one I did, and I'm glad for the suggestions I got on it. The others didn't end up quite as concise, though I think I like how they turned out for now.

Bump

I like it. Like the name too in tandem with the rest.

I seriously believe black needs a proper proactive spell, one that isn't just discard. Is the cost fair or too low? I'm unironically thinking of dropping this to the WotC team since they've already stolen one card I made without my knowledge, not that I mind, but it was complete jank

Instant speed means its basically a counterspell.

>abortion
>B
>instant
>discard the top card of target players deck

Too convoluted.
Too boring.

All these remembrances feel like spells, rather than temporary buffs.

I agree that your Eldrazi feel like boring good stuff.

Decent common.

Again, just feels like a spell.

>black counterspell
That's kind of the idea. Black needs something to fight cancerous ETBs and this is only slightly different from Murdering a creature anyway.

Need some advice on how to balance this. I'm including the character as part of a quest as a lategame reward, but wasn't sure how to cost.
Was looking for a combo between achaeomancer and master polymorphist, but couldn't decide the best way to do it.

>Black needs something to fight cancerous ETB
Yes, it's called discard. Or playing Islands.

Archaeomancer and Jalira do two very different things that are not very compatible.

Might be why I had so much trouble thinking of something unique to do with this guy. Should I just go the super generic T1U return an instant or sorcery to hand and T1U scry 1 or something? That might be best.

>play blue or don't play at all

Here you go. Actual card that really exists.

Also destroy all creatures with flying

Yes, then why can't we have an updated version of this one?

Can I get away with 2U for this?

Thanks.
>>Knowledge
I don't make sets so there are no slots to fight over, but that is a good point.
>>Massage
>Now this I would avoid at common because of complexity.
How is it complex at all?
>>Genius
I feel like the pseudo-firebreathing would need to cost R if the mana cost is 1R, so I like it where it is.
Thanks for the feedback.
Is the -1/-0 until end of turn or permanent? Either way it's overly complicated. I suggest "T, Remove all counters from ~: Put a +1/+1 counter on ~ for each noncreature spell you've cast this turn." Or something along those lines.
This is just a counterspell. Make it an enchantment with a replacement effect and you're good to go. I agree with your sentiment in general, but breaking the color pie is not the way to go.
These are all ok commons. Vista is a neat design.
6 mana Mindslaver is insane, but it's hard to judge how it would play out the following turns. There's probably a deck that wins when it lands this, but for a 6drop that's not unreasonable. Wouldplayincube/10.

>breaking the color pie
See

>play with instant speed sac outlet and reanimation
>opponent doesn't get a single turn

There are no reusable instant speed reanimate effects (except the buyback one, but that's only legal in eternal formats where you have better things to do), so you're spending 1+ card per mindslaver turn without dealing any damage to your opponent.
It's strong for sure, but a janky reanimator deck winning with the perfect hand is not a argument for it being overpowered.

>there are no reusable instant speed reanimate effects
Mimic Vat. And you don't even need one, you sac on their turn and reanimate during yours.

If you reanimate during your turn you immediately lose control and the opp makes you sac.
And Mimic Vat won't work under all circumstances as you never have priority to sac it on your turn to put it into the vat.

r8

Nevermind, I've read it that it triggers since the start of turn. Well this makes it even easier to abuse, since you don't even need a ready sac outlet. Through the Breach into Mimic Vat, activate Mimic Vat at end of turn, win the board.

A three card combo that loses to discard and artifact hate seems fine to me.

Still trying to get this down. I want it to be strong without being broken.

>Is the -1/-0 until end of turn or permanent?

It was supposed to be until end of turn. I wanted to allow it to grow to massive sizes, but I also wanted it to depend on prowess to get more counters.

Putting a +1/+1 counter on it for each noncreature spell would have the same effect, but I'm not sure how I feel about it there. I'll look over it some more.

How do you make laser eyes interesting? Trying my best, but I'm having a very hard time coming up with anything. Guess I should looks up good burn creatures.

>shroud, indestructible
Garbage.

>Can't attack or block
>No way to make it able to attack or block
Why is this even a creature?

>9 lines of text
Garbage

>Name already in use
>On one of the most well-known cards in the game
Do you even play the game or do you just read up on it and think you know how to make cards?

You're probably having fun with this and I can't blame you. If you enjoyed yourself, good for you.
But this card is trite.

Ditch trample. Flying is enough. I like that the tokens are Allies. Something to consider: in Ixalan, there are "treasure tokens" with the same functionality as Gold tokens.

This is like something out of Fallen Empires. Reminds me of Homarid and Lycanthropy, and not in a good way.

These are all good. Mesmerizing Vista is the kind of thing that people will forget about. Perhaps - "doesn't untap during it's controller's untap step unless you control no untapped lands?", and then some kind of sacrifice trigger?

The tap symbol comes after the mana cost in abilties, separated from the mana cost by a comma. Additional costs such as "exile a card from your graveyard" follow the tap symbol, and are separated from the tap symbol by a comma. See the picture attached to this post for an example.

When referring to a card on that isn't on the battlefield, refer to it as a [Type] card. For example, Snapcaster Mage targets an "instant or sorcery card in your graveyard", not an "instant in your graveyard".

It's important that cards owned by other players never enter your own hand or library - the far left version of Kiet allows you to do this when its first ability targets a card in "a graveyard" rather than "your graveyard", as does the middle version of Kiet.

The correct wording isn't "of the same type" - it's "that shares a type with it". Whenever a library is searched for a specific card or type of card, the searched for card must be revealed and the library must be shuffled. Take note of this when wording the rightmost version of Kiet.

Regarding the second ability of the middle version of Kiet: The splice keyword must be worded "Splice onto [type]" for it to have rules meaning.

There are probably a variety of other wording errors/omissions, but I'm not going to waste any more of my life spoonfeeding you. Read the primer in the opening post, and use scryfall.com to search for the correct wording.

Just make them Knights.
I have no idea how strong this is, and no one else will either unless and until its been thoroughly playtested. Cost reduction effects are almost always subtly broken.

Isn't Scott's thing that his eyebeams are super precise and can ricochet all over the place with pinpoint accuracy? There's definitely something in that - Arc Lightning? Also, why not give him some kind of Mutant tribal ability? He's a classic team leader, after all.

>240/301
I refuse to believe that anyone with 340 cards in their MSE file can be this bad at design.

>Ditch trample. Flying is enough.
Got it.

>I like that the tokens are Allies.
It was the first thing that came to mind when I thought of what D&D adventurers would be in the MTG universe.

>Something to consider: in Ixalan, there are "treasure tokens" with the same functionality as Gold tokens.
I think those might tap, but are otherwise the same. Guess making Gold tokens is just a reflex. But you're right, I probably should update as Wizards has.

>use scryfall.com to search for the correct wording.
Not him, but this is a cool site. Thanks for sharing.

>Just make them Knights.
Eh, sorry, no. If I use legit Magic types, I'd sooner go with something like Avatar, possibly Incarnation. It's why I used Horseman in the first place, to represent their "otherness".

>Cost reduction effects are almost always subtly broken.
Hmm, true. I think I'll revise it a bit then. Thanks.

>Isn't Scott's thing that his eyebeams are super precise and can ricochet all over the place with pinpoint accuracy? There's definitely something in that - Arc Lightning?
Sounds better than anything I've come up with so far. Thanks.

>Also, why not give him some kind of Mutant tribal ability? He's a classic team leader, after all.
Tribal never comes to my mind naturally, but that sounds like a good idea. Thanks again.

>Flaring Oracle
Hmm, looks interesting.

I've been in a cycle-y mood as of late.

This is very cool, and fun as fuck, but should probably cost more. One more thing: As written, I think the opponent begins to control you as soon as Parallax Fiend enters the battlefield. Not sure how to prevent that if you didn't intend it.

Decided to take the advice. This wording is a lot cleaner and more in line with what I wanted. I'm uncertain if I want to keep Prowess. It would allow for making use of the bonuses right away in exchange for the long term, but that's not very Blue.

Those costs seem pretty specific, but also don't entirely line up with the allied colors for the extra effect. Sometimes you're just having the card get in-color effects by making it harder to cast, while in others you're giving them the effect of a second color while having the third be there a bit randomly.

I'm sympathetic to the idea of black creaturespell counters, but if you're going to do it, at least have to balls to do it honestly. Also,
>implying that WoTC knows or cares about anything posted on a mongolian tarot-reading subforum
>implying that nothing is ever a coincidence
>implying that there's an infinite amount of design space
what I'm saying is that they didn't steal it

Don't you mean imbalanced?
>Balance is all about playing creatures and lands!
>Muh Creatures: The Tappening
>wow make countermagic start at cmc5 too op

no but shitposting aside this is pretty good

>but if you're going to do it, at least have to balls to do it honestly
What does this even mean

Yeah, three-color design is tricky that way. 02 is definitely the biggest offender, so I'll fiddle around with it.

Better. It's a cute idea. Maybe you could temporary exile it (to remove the prowess buffs) and have it re-enter with the counters?

"Too boring"
Literally the most interesting card to come out of those color pairings.
Veeky Forums man.

>>Literally the most interesting card to come out of those color pairings.
Ahem