Potential Red Flag Thread

I am asking for your guidance Veeky Forums

>long time bro decides to GM a game on Roll20 for the first time
>game is Apocalypse World 2ed
>GM sets the game for the next week giving him no time to screen new players before letting him join
>GM then does the classic blunder of not screening his players at all
>nobody knows for sure who will play what and what the setting is about since that is only discussed during the first session
>one player sounds like an Asian version of Elmer Fudd making it hard to understand him and decides to play a Loli
>another player has a really shitty mic or mic settings and sounds like which he did not fix all session even when asked to and sounds like Samwell Tarly so you can tell he's a neckbeard
>Samwell Tarly is playing a Battlebabe using pic as her avatar
>I cringed more then once that day

lesson learned, always screen players before starting an online game. But should I be more tolerant ? or do I have the right to fear what will happen in this game ?

What should I or the GM do ?

I have to note that we had one more player I did not mention but he was a chill dude and I liked his character.

This will probably end poorly with a cringe fest that will send your face to your butthole.

Let it happen, it will be a nice 'live and learn' experience for the GM.

shit I had a few typos
>*another player has a really shitty mic or mic settings which he did not fix all session even when asked to and sounds like Samwell Tarly from GoT, so you can tell he's a neckbeard.

>chill dude and I liked his character.
5 bucks says this is the one to cause problems.

Anyway, yeah, you should screen players thoroughly. By the time you're done screening a player, Donald Trump should be ready to approve their refugee status. If it's an online game with strangers, that goes double.

As is, you're already stuck in and it would be rude to just up stakes. I say give it 1 session. If it turns out as bad as it sounds, then quit.

>voice
You brought it on yourself.

You're right, this thread is a red flag.

It's not even portraits that are real flags, it's what they do and say. Might as well give it a session or two since it sounds like a big ass blunder already.

If the quality of the microphone is so bad that you go
>What? Can you repeat that?
for 4 or more times you probably will not enjoy playing with them.

More like my friend did, though in his defense he has Dyslexia and in no way would be able to play or run a text only game.

>a hobby that traditionally brought a group of people to interact with each other for several hours at a time.
>voice games over the internet is apparently a taboo.

Voice is fine in-person, but people on the internet don't know how to configure mic settings. It took me way too long to find an online group that workd for me, and even that was after making it a rule that all gamespeak has to be in text and voice is for tabletalk only.

Also, it's not voice that's the problem. It's the fact that OP joined a Roll20 game with randos.

I got my dyslexic friend with ADHD to play a MUD for years, don't underestimate your buddy.

I mean, anyone with an avatar like that at least has good taste

Hobbies evolve. Text games are the next step. Believe it or not, but immersion helps a lot.

Oh yeah, combat becoming a total slaugh regardless of system or number of combatants is a totally evolution of the hobby.

If they cannot configure a mic, can you really trust them to do anything even minorly complicated, like fill out a character sheet correctly? Or make macros in roll20 and have turn go at reasonable speeds?

That has nothing to do with text games. It happens with voice as well, just as frequently. The reason for it isn't the method of communication but the knowledge of the rules.

Try again.

Hahaha no. Describing a combat turn in any way shape or form, especially in reference to visuals is significantly slower in text. Unless you are literally stating nothing more than "I attack Y bandit with my X, I /roll to attack, and if it hits I /roll damage." Which congratulations, that's the most uninteresting combat physically possible.

Text games' only advantage is conversation, and only because it allows for a slower more plotting experience which props up less social players.

>hurr durr text games = everyone is a slow as fuck writer and reader
>there exist no verbal speakers whatsoever in the entire world who suck at getting their point across, and there also exist no bad listeners
I'm giving you one more chance.

I'd invert your argumentless hyperbole, but that'd be more effort than you put into it to begin with.

You just blew your last chance senpai.

user is only saying that text games are slower. You must agree on that. I'm sure they have other advantages that may compensate for that, in the eyes of some.

I don't agree on that. The argument is based on nothing factual at all. I can type things faster than I can say them. I can read things faster than I can listen to them.

You're one of those people that reads a novel in 2 hours and pretends like they haven't completely forgotten all but the most major points 2 days later aren't you?

You blew your chances already dude. Take some time to think about it and come back when you have real arguments.

Golly you sure seem overly defencive and immediately dismissive for some reason. Is this how you talk to people all of the time?

What is she doing with her hand

I think you're one of few people. The one text game I was in was painfully slow.

I've been in slow text games. I've been in quick text games.

I've been in quick voice games. I've been in slow voice games.

A group's speed doesn't depend on whether they use voice or not.

It'll be a clusterfuck for sure, play it anyway so you can tell stories about it here.

Kuro a shit

Do you have some sort of horrific speech impediment, or on the off chance are you a stenographer?

no

OP here. After playing some games of both I can tell you for a fact that it really depends.

I have one text game which is in fact very slow but still fun, and another one that is also fun but in fact more fast paced then some voice games I had.
Both are very immersive and I enjoy them.

While the games with my personal friends including the GM of the story are voice and I played with him and a few other people one AW 2ed game on Roll20 and can say that although there where setbacks me and him where sad when it ended prematurely after a couple months of play. the game was running smoothly most of the time but not always yet we still had fun.

But there is one defining feature that I must give to Text games that Voice does not, I started to notice that most Text only games with randoms have a player base with more class.

In other words out of the majority of games I have been Text only seems to supply non cringe, serious, good roleplaying players.

who cares, It's weeb cancer and must be removed.